rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bodyweight vs Weights

Just curious, I haven't been able to make it to the gym for almost two months now due to financial problems. However, I have been doing intense bodyweight exercises at home (about 4-5 times a week). While I haven't noticed any major changes from the absence, I'm concerned that at some point, despite my best at-home efforts, I'll shrink substantially. I do 5 sets of pushups, each set with a different variation, 25-30 reps; 3 sets barbell bicep curls, 2 sets upper forearm curls, weighted ab crunches, and 5 sets of pullups (10-12 reps per set). I have a Weider gym as well, which I tamper with for things like military press, lat pulls, tricep ex's, etc (the bench is a joke, in my opinion). I guess what I'm asking is, given the things I have at home, is there ANY way to fight off the atrophy? I am well aware that I will not gain any size during this time, so my focus has shifted toward MAINTAINING what I already have. I spent way too long in the gym to lose it now, so it's become somewhat of an obsession until I can get back in the next month or so (God, I'm counting down...). Thanks tremendously for any advice, guys.

-Ryan

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rmschex View Post
    Just curious, I haven't been able to make it to the gym for almost two months now due to financial problems. However, I have been doing intense bodyweight exercises at home (about 4-5 times a week). While I haven't noticed any major changes from the absence, I'm concerned that at some point, despite my best at-home efforts, I'll shrink substantially. I do 5 sets of pushups, each set with a different variation, 25-30 reps; 3 sets barbell bicep curls, 2 sets upper forearm curls, weighted ab crunches, and 5 sets of pullups (10-12 reps per set). I have a Weider gym as well, which I tamper with for things like military press, lat pulls, tricep ex's, etc (the bench is a joke, in my opinion). I guess what I'm asking is, given the things I have at home, is there ANY way to fight off the atrophy? I am well aware that I will not gain any size during this time, so my focus has shifted toward MAINTAINING what I already have. I spent way too long in the gym to lose it now, so it's become somewhat of an obsession until I can get back in the next month or so (God, I'm counting down...). Thanks tremendously for any advice, guys.

-Ryan
    Eat right and keep performing exercises.

Some size loss in inevitable. You will likely loose much more strength in comparison.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ArizonaEli is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Dips at a slow tempo make everything above the waist burn, for me. Get the full depth at the bottom, and the full extension at the top. That's about the hardest bodyweight exercise I can think of, anywho.

igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) igodv2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    try doing the "push-up game" you have to do pushups in radicals so start with 1 pushup then stand up and do a lateral raise (shoulder exercise no weight needed) then back down and do 2 push ups then stand up and do 2 lateral raises then 3 push ups then 3 lateral raises. do it to you can not do anymore i got to 22, the lateral raises get so hard around 10 even without weights. then dumbbell are great you can do so many exercises hammer curls , concentration curls , incline dumbbell curls. seated curls and more. For back do pull ups .. you can also do lunges with the dumbbells you have to maintain some parts of your legs
    "Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed." - Arnold Schwarzenegger
    I rep back

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are able to workout at home you can always do the workout program chiseled at live exercise.com with resistance bands. You won't atrophy as long as you push yourself. Cheaper than a gym and very portable.

Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ohio33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by igodv2 View Post
    try doing the "push-up game" you have to do pushups in radicals so start with 1 pushup then stand up and do a lateral raise (shoulder exercise no weight needed) then back down and do 2 push ups then stand up and do 2 lateral raises then 3 push ups then 3 lateral raises. do it to you can not do anymore i got to 22, the lateral raises get so hard around 10 even without weights. then dumbbell are great you can do so many exercises hammer curls , concentration curls , incline dumbbell curls. seated curls and more. For back do pull ups .. you can also do lunges with the dumbbells you have to maintain some parts of your legs
    I also have a way to give my body a workout with push ups. Try doing them through the entire day every 3 days. What I mean by this is from the time you wake up to right before go to bed do max push ups each set. Keep a tally of how many you do total and try to best it next time. Say you get to 1000 total go for 1100 next time. Also vary style to keep it from getting boring.
    Many underestimate the value of calistentics in conjuction with strength training it helps better condition the body IMO

rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10) rmschex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a shot.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    If you can manage 5x30 pushups, even though you are trying different variations which is good (those diamonds are hell on triceps) you could make them harder with some added resistance (like put a sack of flower in an old worn out backpack) that makes you unable to do your normal amount of repetitions.

With bodyweight alone, some people do 1 arm pushups but that's a hard jump to make while still maintaining a good range of motion, I think that's why most people do added weight on 2 arms before switching to them.

Changing to inclined pushing will also make it harder, though it will shift it from less chest to more front delt (triceps still die though).