Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Too much protein in one meal?

I read a while ago that consuming too much protein all at once will either extrete the protein through urine or convert it to fat. Is this true? If it is, how much protein is too much in a meal?

Asking cause I bought a weight gainer that serves a sht load of protein per serving (75g).

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Myth.

georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) georgeenoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bump

MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrB1g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MrB1g View Post
    Myth.
    Originally Posted by georgeenoob View Post
    bump
    I'm sorry, clearly my writing was to small.

Myth.

Edit: Sigh...Your body can only utilise so much protein per hour, but that doesn't mean extra protein is immediately excreted, it's simply utilised throughout the day. The only time you're going to have eaten to much protein in one meal is if you consume more protein then can be effectively utilised throughout the entire day.

GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) GTR- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So your body uses up all that protein and it doesn't turn into fat or anything?

BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Myth.

Edit: Sigh...Your body can only utilise so much protein per hour, but that doesn't mean extra protein is immediately excreted, it's simply utilised throughout the day. The only time you're going to have eaten to much protein in one meal is if you consume more protein then can be effectively utilised throughout the entire day.
    lol this, take his word, he knows his stuff. you don't 'piss' out protein.. if your body needs it, it will use it! so make sure you're working out hard and your body will use the protein

Myth.

Ok thanks for answer, but I just like hearing more than one voice dude.

Originally Posted by EBNX View Post
    You seem like the type of guy who might enjoy a bit of reading on it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...a-single-meal/

Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jayburd73 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by EBNX View Post
    What your body can use it will. What it cannot it will excrete.

Oh another thing would drinking a lot of water help the process?

Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000) Oscarizo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I won't give you an answer becouse I've read good articles saying you can consume to much, and alot of good articles saying you can't . But if your worried 75 grams of protein is to much , just make the scoop half of the serving , it would be about 37.5 grams of protein

BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Oscarizo View Post
    I won't give you an answer becouse I've read good articles saying you can consume to much, and alot of good articles saying you can't . But if your worried 75 grams of protein is to much , just make the scoop half of the serving , it would be about 37.5 grams of protein
    75/2 = 37.5

thanks for saving us the time of that calculation, it would have taken ages to figure out

Originally Posted by Oscarizo View Post
    It's a weight gainer not a protein shake. Less protein = less everything else =/

96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 96EverSince has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by georgeenoob View Post
    Oh another thing would drinking a lot of water help the process?
    Of course. Water helps out everything your body does brah. i wake up at around 6:30 and i should be getting about 2 liters of water before 1 oclock... its that important

jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Myth.
    No.

Several independent labs have tested this. For example: Using two controlled groups, group A consumed 30g of protein per meal. Group b consumed 90g. All studies have shown there was zero significant increase in muscle or strength gains from the higher protein intake in one meal. I'd recommend 30-40 grams of protein at each meal every two-three hours of the day. Also, the body will not simply piss out extra protein. Any unused protein will be broken down and eventually will be stored as fat. That is not an opinion it is scientific fact.

Originally Posted by jmat2407 View Post
    No.

Several independent labs have tested this. For example: Using two controlled groups, group A consumed 30g of protein per meal. Group b consumed 90g. All studies have shown there was zero significant increase in muscle or strength gains from the higher protein intake in one meal. I'd recommend 30-40 grams of protein at each meal every two-three hours of the day. Also, the body will not simply piss out extra protein. Any unused protein will be broken down and eventually will be stored as fat. That is not an opinion it is scientific fact.
    Are you mentally impaired?

I said it was a myth and posted that there was no difference and then posted an article by Alan Aragon saying there was no difference...

And your idea of disproving what I said was creating a study which shows that...wait for it...there is no difference.

I think that deserves a round of applause.

dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dweeegs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No.

interesting. was it that there was zero gains compared to the 30-40 g group? cause that would mean that both saw the same amount of muscle gain, which would mean that the protein wasn't wasted.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

In this article someone asked Lyle is a person ate 5,000 calories, all from protein, would excess protein be stored as fat. He responded:

"Which means that the odds of protein being converted to fat in any quantitatively meaningful fashion is simply not going to happen. Certain amino acids are processed to a great degree in the liver (as I discuss in The Protein Book) and this can produce glucose, ketones and a few other things. But triglycerides (the storage form of ‘fat’) isn’t one of them.

I imagine that if protein were going to be converted to fat, it would first have to be converted to glucose and only if the amount produced were then in excess of daily maintenance requirements would there be conversion to fat. But as noted above, this simply isn’t going to happen under any even reasonably normal circumstances. No human could eat enough protein on a daily basis for it to occur.

What will happen, as discussed in Nutrient Intake, Nutrient Storage and Nutrient Oxidation. is that amino acid oxidation (burning for energy) will go up somewhat although, as discussed in that article, it’s a slow process and isn’t complete.

So, as noted above, while the pathway exists for protein to be stored as fat, and folks will continue to claim that ‘excess protein just turns to fat’, it’s really just not going to happen under any sort of real-world situation. Certainly we can dream up odd theoretical situations where it might but those won’t apply to 99.9% of real-world situations."
    ChemE in education, SoftwareE in job

Live slow, Die whenever SLOTH LIFE

jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmat2407 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I said it was a myth and posted that there was no difference and then posted an article by Alan Aragon saying there was no difference...

And your idea of disproving what I said was creating a study which shows that...wait for it...there is no difference.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I was only disagreeing with the fact that the Op should not be consuming that much protein at one meal as it is a waste. The way I read you statement it came off as it's ok for the Op to take in 75+g of protein at one meal then not have anymore protein till way later in the day till he needs more protein to hit his daily macros. That is what I disagree with.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Hey bro, you did a decent job explaining it but, you should probably mention that there's no difference

There seems to be a misunderstanding. I was only disagreeing with the fact that the Op should not be consuming that much protein at one meal as it is a waste. The way I read you statement it came off as it's ok for the Op to take in 75+g of protein at one meal then not have anymore protein till way later in the day till he needs more protein to hit his daily macros. That is what I disagree with.
    It's completely ok for the OP to have that much protein in one meal. It makes absolutely no difference.

And just for the lols, I'm going to quote your own study as evidence. According to you, both the higher and lower protein per meal group had the same strength/LBM gains, and that's exactly as it should be.

What matters is your protein intake per day, not how many meals you split it into.

Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    Hey bro, you did a decent job explaining it but, you should probably mention that there's no difference
    Haha. You always know when you're needed

It's completely ok for the OP to have that much protein in one meal. It makes absolutely no difference.

And just for the lols, I'm going to quote your own study as evidence. According to you, both the higher and lower protein per meal group had the same strength/LBM gains, and that's exactly as it should be.

What matters is your protein intake per day, not how many meals you split it into.

Haha. You always know when you're needed
    Exactly. My reasoning for breaking it up is this...

Having a constant intake of protein every two-three hours has been proven to maintain constant blood levels and keep insulin spikes under control. Since 30g is just as effective as 90g this allows you to break the meals up all throughout the day so you have much more constant blood levels an still accomplish your same daily intake of protein as someone who just consumes 100g in three meals 5+ hours apart.

Edit: I'm just using random numbers here btw just for the sake of discussion.

Exactly. My reasoning for breaking it up is this...

Having a constant intake of protein every two-three hours has been proven to maintain constant blood levels and keep insulin spikes under control. Since 30g is just as effective as 90g this allows you to break the meals up all throughout the day so you have much more constant blood levels an still accomplish your same daily intake of protein as someone who just consumes 100g in three meals 5+ hours apart.

Edit: I'm just using random numbers here btw just for the sake of discussion.
    The effect on insulin is pretty negligible mate.

CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jayburd73 View Post
    What your body can use it will. What it cannot it will excrete.
    LIES and shenanigans!

Mr.B1G is somewhat right, although normally totally right (son, I am disappoint).

There is no method of storing amino acids for any extended period of time. So, whatever protein cannot be utilized it will be converted to carbohydrates and used for energy. If it still cannot be used, it will then be turned into fat. NO protein will be excreted through urine.

OP, don't take 75g of protein at once. TOO much. Space it out. Only way you could take 75g of protein at once was if it's a steak in a wholesome meal, but you couldn't eat that much.

Originally Posted by CajunPballer View Post
    LIES and shenanigans!

Mr.B1G is somewhat right, although normally totally right (son, I am disappoint).

There is no method of storing amino acids for any extended period of time. So, whatever protein cannot be utilized it will be converted to carbohydrates and used for energy. If it still cannot be used, it will then be turned into fat. NO protein will be excreted through urine.

OP, don't take 75g of protein at once. TOO much. Space it out. Only way you could take 75g of protein at once was if it's a steak in a wholesome meal, but you couldn't eat that much.

:'[

Protein excretion/storage whatever ain't my strong point because I just don't really care lol

As for the rest, I'm curious, is there an actual timeframe? Because like I posted, I'm quite heavily referring to Alan's article.

Edit: Very interested now, always good to learn something new.

CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000) CajunPballer is a name known to all. (+5000)

Protein excretion/storage whatever ain't my strong point because I just don't really care lol

As for the rest, I'm curious, is there an actual timeframe? Because like I posted, I'm quite heavily referring to Alan's article.
    I read the article. He seems to be talking more about absorption rates rather than utilization. He briefly referenced a small study about a change in body composition however that was only a 14 day trial and there are more factors to include. I am disappointed he only referenced that.

The body does not have a ridiculous demand for protein all day every day, it varies greatly through out the day as you know. Assume you consume 30g of protein from the pork which is absorbed at 10g per hour. Within the first two hours, your protein requirements for that timeframe may be met, the third hour is virutally useless protein which will have to be converted.

I read the article. He seems to be talking more about absorption rates rather than utilization. He briefly referenced a small study about a change in body composition however that was only a 14 day trial and there are more factors to include. I am disappointed he only referenced that.

The body does not have a ridiculous demand for protein all day every day, it varies greatly through out the day as you know. Assume you consume 30g of protein from the pork which is absorbed at 10g per hour. Within the first two hours, your protein requirements for that timeframe may be met, the third hour is virutally useless protein which will have to be converted.

How would you respond to the section on intermittent fasting?

And also the section from Lyle about the pathway for protein/fat storage?

Thumbs up

I pretty much agree with everything Cajun has posted.

How would you respond to the section on intermittent fasting?

And also the section from Lyle about the pathway for protein/fat storage?
    Talking about this: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...ttent-fasting/

?

If so, I haven't read it. Doing so now though as that seems highly interesting.

Talking about this: http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...ttent-fasting/

?

If so, I haven't read it. Doing so now though as that seems highly interesting.

That and the brief section Alan mentioned.

If you get the chance could you also have a look at the section someone quoted from Lyle?

It's a great topic

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Edit: Very interested now, always good to learn something new.
    This.

What are you gonna do, cut a steak up into little pieces and snack on them throughout the day? Just eat the ****ing steak and enjoy it.