Thread: GABA and memory

dieter_dh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

GABA and memory

I was reading about GABA to get to know the product better, but I couldn't really make a conclusion if GABA can damage your memory and learn ability. A site said GABA can interfere with memory, but on the forum people stack GABA in cognitive stacks. -->???
    Can it damage your brain? Is it bad for your learn ability? Are there many dangers?
    (or can it be good for your memory and cognitive function)

Really, I found 6 sites that said it can be bad, 6 sites that said it can improve.. This is confusing
    Any person who really knows this sure, or can explain it clearly?

Are there products who can improve HGH AND memory/(brain activity/concentration)? That there's no doub about the effect
    Last edited by dieter_dh; 10-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Orally-administered GABA is by no means detrimental to the brain, nor will it affect your memory capacity or ability to learn.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

So there are other ways next to oral? And these ones can interfere with memory, brain cells,... etc?

Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dieter_dh View Post
    So there are other ways next to oral? And these ones can interfere with memory, brain cells,... etc?
    No form of GABA you'll be able to find will do that. Supplementing GABA is fine, just watch how much you use and note it builds a tolerance quickly. I personally prefer Picamilon, but I also have bulk GABA.

Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    No form of GABA you'll be able to find will do that. Supplementing GABA is fine, just watch how much you use and note it builds a tolerance quickly. I personally prefer Picamilon, but I also have bulk GABA.
    Aight. But why are scientific sites posting messages with research about GABA blocking other signals between nerve cells, decrease in short memory,.... = bad side-effects.

PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE View Post
    Orally-administered GABA is by no means detrimental to the brain, nor will it affect your memory capacity or ability to learn.
    nor will it produce the hyooooge GH release people think it will. I believe the reason for both of these is because is doesn't cross the blood brain barrier

"Mind is everything"

Misc Golf Crew

"I lift sometimes" Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135413181

Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz Synapsin has the mod powerz
    Aight. But why are scientific sites posting messages with research about GABA blocking other signals between nerve cells, decrease in short memory,.... = bad side-effects.
    GABA is usually inhibitory at synapses, but that is a whole different thing than you just supplementing GABA in terms of your brain function.

GABA is usually inhibitory at synapses, but that is a whole different thing than you just supplementing GABA in terms of your brain function.
    But if it's inhibitory at synapses, than it should slow down information untake when you're studying, no? --> i'm just asking, is there really no doubt that it can be bad for a student who needs the most of his memory, learn ability, info uptake, fast learning,..

PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PJMunh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    But if it's inhibitory at synapses, than it should slow down information untake when you're studying, no? --> i'm just asking, is there really no doubt that it can be bad for a student who needs the most of his memory, learn ability, info uptake, fast learning,..
    from a non-scientific standpoint, I'm a student and have been taking it for ~2 months, I'm not any dumber

"Mind is everything"

Misc Golf Crew

"I lift sometimes" Training Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135413181

You will be fine. PJMunh already mentioned a reason why it wouldn't be a problem.

Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Acetyl-CoA is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    GABA wont do this, since it can cross the blood-brain barrier. I saw those studies too, about gaba-B agonists i believe... if you're worried don't take phenibut or picamilon, both of which cross the bbb.

Now, I don't see how that stuff could cause PERMANENT memory issues... it'd just be short like the benzos, alcohol, etc?
    Disclaimer: The above statments represent my own opinion. The above statements do not constitute medical advice.

Message Board King :$ changetostay's Avatar
    changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) changetostay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Acetyl-CoA View Post
    GABA wont do this, since it can cross the blood-brain barrier. I saw those studies too, about gaba-B agonists i believe... if you're worried don't take phenibut or picamilon, both of which cross the bbb.

Now, I don't see how that stuff could cause PERMANENT memory issues... it'd just be short like the benzos, alcohol, etc?
    this
    well put

Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've run plenty of GABA, Phenibut and a bit of Picamolin. None of which had any detrimental effect on memory. Short term, too much Phenibut will f anybody up - but no, no studies I'm aware of suggest GABA would cause any damage. In fact, short term GH elevations exceeding fourfold above baseline have been reported. This, with a 3 g dose prior to exercise:

http://www.ergo-log.com/gabagh.html

Whether this translates to more muscle and/or less fat over time is anyone's guess. For the pricepoint though, its a logical first step if interested in elevating GH.

There are better nootropics than GABA for memory. The European states are far ahead of the West in this area. GABA is typically used as a relaxant prior to bed and does impart said relaxation, although an unpleasant flushing effect can be realized for those unfamiliar with it.
    Last edited by Mixelflick; 10-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Author of The Blueprint - Want BIG gains WITHOUT drugs?

Want to get to Gainsville FAST? - Google Synthagen or theblueprintbulletin

My post reflects only my opinion and is in no way considered required practice - in whole or in part. Specific medical advice should be obtained from a licensed health care practitioner PRIOR to beginning ANY new diet, exercise, supplementation or training program.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    why are scientific sites posting messages with research about GABA blocking other signals between nerve cells, decrease in short memory,.... = bad side-effects.
    Are you sure the literature you were reading did not pertain to the pharmacodynamic effects of benzodiazepines on GABAa receptors? Benzodiazepine receptor agonists exert their effects on GABAa receptors - causing an inhibitory effect on neurotransmission, thereby potentiating the GABAergic decrements of neuronal firing rates. This would coincide with what you read reguarding short-term memory loss, ect.
    ~

For those of you who are referring to compounds that enhance GH expression, please take note of the information provided in the following post....

growth hormone: Why are we trying to enhance it, and... Is it even working?
    ~

Originally Posted by Mixelflick View Post
    no studies I'm aware of suggest GABA would cause any damage. In fact, short term GH elevations exceeding fourfold above baseline have been reported.
    In addition to GABA, there are 3 other inexpensive GH-promoting compounds that would work efficiently [especially when combined with multiple bouts of exercise] --> i.e. arginine, ornithine, and glycine.
    ~

Benzos don't cause inhibition at GABAa, they affect the duration of the hyperpolarizing current of the GABA NT activation. Think of it as keeping the channel open longer. Its this that causes the potentiation.

Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    Are you sure the literature you were reading did not pertain to the pharmacodynamic effects of benzodiazepines on GABAa receptors? Benzodiazepine receptor agonists exert their effects on GABAa receptors - causing an inhibitory effect on neurotransmission, thereby potentiating the GABAergic decrements of neuronal firing rates. This would coincide with what you read reguarding short-term memory loss, ect.
    Benzos don't cause inhibition at GABAa, they affect the duration of the hyperpolarizing current of the GABA NT activation. Think of it as keeping the channel open longer. Its this that causes the potentiation.
    Perhaps I could have chosen more appropriate terminology. It is to my understanding that benzodiazepine receptor agonists exert their effects on the allosteric modulatory sites on GABAa receptors, thereby enhancing GABA responses within the inhibitory synapses in the brain - thus causing an inhibitory effect on neurotransmission, and potentiating the GABAergic decrements of neuronal firing rates. Am I way off here?
    ~

Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000) Mixelflick is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In addition to GABA, there are 3 other inexpensive GH-promoting compounds that would work efficiently [especially when combined with multiple bouts of exercise] --> i.e. arginine, ornithine, and glycine.
    Glycine is a favorite Tastes sweet too.
    Author of The Blueprint - Want BIG gains WITHOUT drugs?

Want to get to Gainsville FAST? - Google Synthagen or theblueprintbulletin

My post reflects only my opinion and is in no way considered required practice - in whole or in part. Specific medical advice should be obtained from a licensed health care practitioner PRIOR to beginning ANY new diet, exercise, supplementation or training program.

Perhaps I could have chosen more appropriate terminology. It is to my understanding that benzodiazepine receptor agonists exert their effects on the allosteric modulatory sites on GABAa receptors, thereby enhancing GABA responses within the inhibitory synapses in the brain - thus causing an inhibitory effect on neurotransmission, and potentiating the GABAergic decrements of neuronal firing rates. Am I way off here?
    Kinda yeah. The reason GABAa is inhibitory is because of the Cl- channels it has (the association of them). The reversal potential for chloride is usually more negative than the threshold potential. The hyperpolarization of the Cl- chan itself is what causes it to be inhibitory. You wouldn't need benzos to cause an inhibitory effect, all that matters for what determines excitation or inhibition is the receptor type. So for example, GABAb is also inhibitory (mind you it's a Metabotropic receptor), but it's due to K+ channels rather than chloride channels now (or blocking calcium channels). Benzos enhance GABA transmission by binding to the alpha and delta subunits of GABAa receptors. So like I said, they can keep the channels open longer so you're right, it'd potentiate the NT but it doesn't need to happen for an inhibitory effect, it'd just make it last longer.

Thumbs up

Kinda yeah. The reason GABAa is inhibitory is because of the Cl- channels it has (the association of them). The reversal potential for chloride is usually more negative than the threshold potential. The hyperpolarization of the Cl- chan itself is what causes it to be inhibitory. You wouldn't need benzos to cause an inhibitory effect, all that matters for what determines excitation or inhibition is the receptor type. So for example, GABAb is also inhibitory (mind you it's a Metabotropic receptor), but it's due to K+ channels rather than chloride channels now (or blocking calcium channels). Benzos enhance GABA transmission by binding to the alpha and delta subunits of GABAa receptors. So like I said, they can keep the channels open longer so you're right, it'd potentiate the NT but it doesn't need to happen for an inhibitory effect, it'd just make it last longer.
    Thank you sir. Repped on recharge.
    ~

Smile

Thank you sir. Repped on recharge.
    Np man, I hope I explained it well.

Jarus187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came across this searching for answers as to why GABA is making my short term memory crap.

Let me tell you; it DOES screw with your short term memory (for me anyway). I've been keeping logs for the last 2 years of different supplements that I am experimenting with to help treat my anxiety and I've repeatedly found that as soon as a start GABA, I can't remember sh*t. I've documented this on at least 3 different occasions months apart.

To the original poster: Would you mind posting links of those studies explaining why it does this? I'm having trouble finding anything.

Even though GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, it definately has an effect on me. Within 30 minutes of ingesting it, I feel relaxed and my anxiety improves greatly.

Drugs can be be actively transported by a variety of carriers, or leak through epithelial junctions or through certain osmoregulatory anion channels to the brain. The BBB isn't the only way in.

Edit: Just an addition for those who are interested, on all 3 occassions my memory was back to normal within 2 days of stopping GABA.
    Last edited by Jarus187; 01-20-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Addition

kramnostam is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Memory loss

Hi, I know this is from a long time ago, just wondering if you found out any insights into this topic. I am experiencing short-term / working memory loss while taking a GABA-related muscle relaxant. It seems to go away when I stop taking it, but I'm worried about potential long-term effects.

Originally Posted by Jarus187 View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I came across this searching for answers as to why GABA is making my short term memory crap.

Let me tell you; it DOES screw with your short term memory (for me anyway). I've been keeping logs for the last 2 years of different supplements that I am experimenting with to help treat my anxiety and I've repeatedly found that as soon as a start GABA, I can't remember sh*t. I've documented this on at least 3 different occasions months apart.

To the original poster: Would you mind posting links of those studies explaining why it does this? I'm having trouble finding anything.

Even though GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, it definately has an effect on me. Within 30 minutes of ingesting it, I feel relaxed and my anxiety improves greatly.

Drugs can be be actively transported by a variety of carriers, or leak through epithelial junctions or through certain osmoregulatory anion channels to the brain. The BBB isn't the only way in.

Edit: Just an addition for those who are interested, on all 3 occassions my memory was back to normal within 2 days of stopping GABA.

DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DamonX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What is the relaxant you're using? I believe you're speaking of a pharmaceutical drug versus supplemental gaba, correct?
    -MAN Sports Representative -
    Disclaimer: The statement above reflects that of my own opinion and in no way that of MAN Sports. Our products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

www.instagram.com/damonphysique

CLEAN PROTEIN is HERE on bodybuilding.com!