Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Does Lifting Belt Prevent Back Injury?

While doing DLs today at my gym a doctor I know called me over and told me I should really be using a belt if I'm going to do exercises "like that." He said he'd injured the discs in his lower back and that wearing a belt could have prevented the injury. I'm familiar with the idea that a belt can help you lift heavier, but does it really make the exercise safer? Did a Google search but got a lot of conflicting information. I know belts are a controversial subject. However I've hurt my back a few times and I'd gladly wear one if it will really prevent injury.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Its you form way more then a belt.

A belt really doesnt do much for your back.

Try this. While you are siting there, take a deep breath into your stomach. Now push down like you are going to the bathroom. You can feel the solid pressure building up in your abdomen.

A belt basically does the same. It gives you something to push your stomach against which in turn makes for a more solid area of internal pressure that helps keep your back in place when lifting.

For me it gives me something different to focus on when trying to lift heavier so It sort of helps me take my mind off of things just for a second so i can get the lift done. Normally when squatting i would not focus on my abs. When I have my belt on, I do.

If you are hurting your back deadlifting then you arent doing it right.

Think of the lever and the mechanics of it. Imagine that you are leaning too far forward. Where will the weak point be? Pretty much on your lower back. Now try it again but put your chest up a bit and you will feel the leverage being spread out more evenly.

It doesnt take much to make a weak point and one bed rep and now your back hurts.

Hope this makes sense.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10) essinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying: The belt makes it easier to keep you abs tight, therefore easier to keep you back straight. I guess I really just need to buy one and try it. Are the cheap nylon and velcro ones good enough this purpose?

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    As a safety professional. I've seen plenty of conflicting studies on this question. There are lots of people with strong opinions on both sides of the issue, yet the science in my opinion is not conclusive.

You definitely do not want to use them all of the time because 1. they give you a false sense of security and 2. depending on them instead of a strong set of abs and lower back muscles will allow both to atrophy dangerously. Except when doing maximal lifts (1 RM), there should be no need to even consider it anyway.
    Overweight and arrogant

Registered Drug User Nuttynutskin's Avatar
    Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nuttynutskin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've hurt my back before wearing a belt so no... If your lifting with atrocious form like I was when I first stated you can still hurt yourself. lol

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I wear one on my heaviest lifts, but I think learning proper form trumps a belt.
    For me its a mental thing on my heavy lifts, I have had partial disk removal ao in my mind I think "I should wear a belt just in case"

hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hypnocrip is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Everything I've ever heard/read/experienced is that belts just promote good form, but I still use one when going heavy.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Everyone has a plan til they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by essinger View Post
    Thanks. I think I understand what you are saying: The belt makes it easier to keep you abs tight, therefore easier to keep you back straight. I guess I really just need to buy one and try it. Are the cheap nylon and velcro ones good enough this purpose?
    What prevents injuries is learning good form, the belt is not meant to prevent injuries
    it can help to workout with one but it won't prevent it if your form is not good

and if you think your core muscles are too weak then you need to train them and get them stronger..

No the velcro ones are not good enough, a proper 4" wide 10mm leather belt is best
    but even that you need to learn how to wear it
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hypnocrip View Post
    Everything I've ever heard/read/experienced is that belts just promote good form, but I still use one when going heavy.
    It does if you wear it correctly but it's all relative to what lift you are doing\for example the way you wear it for squats is different than that of DL

Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just listen to the doctor you would be surprised how much these licensed professionals know.

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    No the velcro ones are not good enough, a proper 4" wide 10mm leather belt is best
    Do you mean one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Double-Buckle-...892124&sr=8-17

Does $50 sound right?

merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There were different articles that debate the issue on whether belts help or hinder. I remember one a while back in M&F that said that belts hinder. I will try to look for it.

As for me, I use one when I get into the heavier weights. As stated by brotherwolf, you will need a decent belt with the right coverage and size.
    Eric

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

"Thin skinned? Now that sounds like a way I could get more shredded....by having thinner skin." - Brackneyc

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use a 25 year old leather belt!!! All white from sweat, pretty nasty, but effective.

For me belts help out with form. Plus (esp. when squatting heavy) I expand my abs to push against the belt, thus stabilizing my mid section, which prevents injuries.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    a belt by itself will not prevent you from injuring your back. That said, the use of a belt along with good lifting technique can reduce the possibilities of injury significantly. just my humble opinion
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Guinea-pig View Post
    Just listen to the doctor you would be surprised how much these licensed professionals know.
    umm...I've spoken with a few doctors in my time that I'm convinced bought degrees online. Had a real knockdown, dragout with one of the doctors at my son's pediatrician practice over nutrition.

Not recommending this, but I've never used a belt. If I can't move a weight using proper form, then I'm trying to lift too much.

Do you mean one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Double-Buckle-...892124&sr=8-17

Does $50 sound right?
    Something like that .. I got mine from inzer... a good belt will last you a lifetime

http://www.inzernet.com/search_resul...earch&iLevel=1

You're being sarcastic right ??
    a doctor knows about belts and lifting as much as I know about brain surgery..
    unless of course the doc is also a weightlifter

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For the record, I'm wearing a belt right now, and my back feels great.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Guinea-pig has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP mentioned DR was in the gym so I imagine he is a weightlifter and no not being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    umm...I've spoken with a few doctors in my time that I'm convinced bought degrees online. Had a real knockdown, dragout with one of the doctors at my son's pediatrician practice over nutrition.

Not recommending this, but I've never used a belt. If I can't move a weight using proper form, then I'm trying to lift too much.
    Well I spoke to my doctor and asked him about all this eating every two hours and he said son its simple eat when your hungry.

OP mentioned DR was in the gym so I imagine he is a weightlifter and no not being sarcastic.
    Doctor also said he injured his lower back.. me thinks doctor needs to learn to lift first

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    For the record, I'm wearing a belt right now, and my back feels great.
    I always wear a belt .. sometimes even during warmups not tight but it's there it keeps me warm between sets

Well I spoke to my doctor and asked him about all this eating every two hours and he said son its simple eat when your hungry.
    You see?? a doctor is not a nutritionist
    don't ask nutrition advice to your doc. you should go there to get referrals(for specialists), generic checkups and flu shots not for nutrition or lifting advice

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i only rarely use a belt, and then only on my heaviest, if i don't feel adequate proprioception on my own.

copped from an article:
    ADVANTAGES

* Weight belts help stiffen the spine by increasing abdominal pressure and direct "wrapping" of the torso.

* Weight belts can decrease the range of lumbar motion, thereby decreasing the risk of lower-back injury.

* Weight belts may enhance proprioception to increase a person's perception of stability on a given lift.

DISADVANTAGES

* A person who wears a weight belt while injured tends to risk incurring a more severe injury.

* Weight belts may give a person the perception that he or she can lift more and thus may increase the risk of injury due to this perception.

* Belts may increase blood pressure.

* Weight belts may change a person's lifting style, causing him or her to either inappropriately increase or decrease the load on his or her spine.

The bottom line is that the style of lifting you perform should be the determining factor for whether or not you use a weight belt.

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    Most doctors don't know anything outside their narrow range of practice, but they're paid to ACT like they know everything about everything. It's the perfect profession for know-it-alls. Tell this one to STFU and lift.
    Overweight and arrogant

This doc is a regular at our gym and appears to be in really good shape for a guy pushing 60, but I've never seen him do a deadlift or a squat (Of course I've never seen anybody else in our gym use the oly bar for anything other than presses.) My impression was that deadlifts were something he used to do before he got injured and he was just trying to save me from a preventable injury. His words were something like, "You know for 20 bucks you can buy a belt that will help decrease your risk for an injury that can ruin your back for life."

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I rotate between using and not using. My personal goal was BW +100 for 8 reps sans belt. I hit that a few weeks ago and my back has never felt better. Once I start using again I expect to set some PR's since I've never been a great deadlifter and have always been prone to lower back injuries.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Funny, one of the reasons he said he was concerned about me was because I was tall. He said taller guys have a lot of lifting related back problems compared with shorter guys.

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Funny, one of the reasons he said he was concerned about me was because I was tall. He said taller guys have a lot of lifting related back problems compared with shorter guys.
    I should clarify that I pull sumo style. I prefer the more upright starting position and find that it's less stressful on my lower back. You will need to work on your hip flexor strength for this position if you decide to make the switch. That means working in with the old ladies on the abductor/adductor machine.

Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19