JoeBorkowski has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JoeBorkowski has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is working out everyday okay?

I've been working out since May 2010, after solid everyday training and eating right I lost 18 pounds of fat and put on muscle. After looking at this site though I feel like everybody's routine has off days. I always give a muscle group at least a 3 day break but I rarely go a day without any type of workout.. example:

Monday - Chest and Tri
    Tuesday - Back and Bi
    Wedensday - Shoulders and Forearms
    Thursday - Legs and Abs
    Friday - Chest and Tri
    Saturday - Back and Bi
    Sunday - Shoulders and Forearms
    Monday - Legs and Abs

And just continue on like that. Is this okay? Or are days where you don't work out at all completely necessary? I'm a full time student at Villanova so I do sometimes take off a day (like once every two weeks) but that's simply because I don't have the time. Thanks

Great hair, decent ass otterakl's Avatar
    otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otterakl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JoeBorkowski View Post
    I've been working out since May 2010, after solid everyday training and eating right I lost 18 pounds of fat and put on muscle. After looking at this site though I feel like everybody's routine has off days. I always give a muscle group at least a 3 day break but I rarely go a day without any type of workout.. example:

Monday - Chest and Tri
    Tuesday - Back and Bi
    Thursday - Legs and Abs
    Friday - Chest and Tri
    Saturday - Back and Bi
    Monday - Legs and Abs

And just continue on like that. Is this okay? Or are days where you don't work out at all completely necessary? I'm a full time student at Villanova so I do sometimes take off a day (like once every two weeks) but that's simply because I don't have the time. Thanks
    You will not be able to add significant mass without having any off days. Your muscles grow when you rest and eat, not in the gym.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
    -Mark Twain

mjdibenedetto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JoeBorkowski View Post

Monday - Chest and Tri
    Tuesday - Back and Bi
    Thursday - Legs and Abs
    Friday - Chest and Tri
    Saturday - Back and Bi
    Monday - Legs and Abs

I've read some things about working out everyday...and the "theory" behind it (no official studies found yet) is that your body will adapt to anything you put it through. So if you train everyday then your body will learn to recover faster.

I don't know how true that is but if you ask any experienced lifter they will all say the same thing...."you gain the most at rest"

rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If your workout is effective enough for your goals, it's OK.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are continually gaining bodyweight and adding weight/reps to your workouts, it will be fine. Make sure you are keeping a good workout log, and don't be afraid to back off it gets too draining.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mjdibenedetto View Post
    I've read some things about working out everyday...and the "theory" behind it (no official studies found yet) is that your body will adapt to anything you put it through. So if you train everyday then your body will learn to recover faster.

I don't know how true that is but if you ask any experienced lifter they will all say the same thing...."you gain the most at rest"
    Then the theory is wrong.

Since may....that's roughly 5 months. How much size and strength have you gained since then?

Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aaron4418 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No Muscle Recovery? .. Sounds like a goal you will never reach..
    Dedication + Determination = Results

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You'll most likely get tired of it quickly, and it's doubtful that it would be better than many other programs. Have you considered an upper/lower split or a push/pull/legs split? Or just a fullbody routine?
    --- Nick ---

JoeBorkowski has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JoeBorkowski has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Nick1971 View Post
    You'll most likely get tired of it quickly, and it's doubtful that it would be better than many other programs. Have you considered an upper/lower split or a push/pull/legs split? Or just a fullbody routine?
    Thanks everybody else for the help. And I have put on a muscle. What I was going for in the beginning was cutting all the fat so I've been cutting for a while. I still have side fat which I'm trying to get rid of with cardio. And honestly I haven't considered that split or routine but I'm pretty driven at this point because of the progress I've made so far so I'm willing to try anything new if its going to help me out. It's just hard to know what to believe because between the internet and books everyone says something different. The book that my cousin and I read talked about a method of fat burning/muscle building where you engage your natural hormones by eating once every 2-3 hours, but not completely satisfying yourself, and then working out around dinner time and after lifting POUND food down (not unhealthy food neccessarily just like pasta, chicken, meats, carbs) and so that is what I've been doing so thats basically my everyday, which means I lift everyday. Like I said theres way too much scattered opinion for me to know what's true, also, I was under the impression that as long as I gave a particular muscle group at least 3-4 days then that's good enough recovery, basically like I can lift other parts of my body while one muscle group recovers. Overall, It's not that I'm not doing something beneficial by lifting everyday. But I want to do whatevers better, whatever I gotta do I'm more then willing/capable.
    Last edited by JoeBorkowski; 10-10-2010 at 12:15 PM.

falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, honestly. Every individual is different. I work out everyday but spend only about 3 hours total time in the gym, meaning for 21 of those hours, my body is resting. It's all right to do what you want to do if your body feels good. Like this quote everyone likes to sig: "you can't out-train a poor diet." Ummm Michael Phelps anyone? Conventional wisdom is usually sound, but just listen to your body. If you feel good, hit the gym, if you're tired, sleep. Believe me when your body is tired and it wants to rest it will force you to get rest. When I work out too hard my body sleeps for 10 hours or so recovering. Also, how old are you? 19? Youth plays a huge factor as well. At that age you shouldn't worry much. Just do your thang.
    There are no men like me. Only me.