HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Plate Loaded Hammer Strength Pullover (vs not doing any pullovers vs dumbbell pullov

Hi All,

I remember the days at PSU when we would stretch over a flat bench and do lots of pullovers. Always confused if Pullovers did more than just anterior serratus.

I never seem to do these anymore... Maybe cause it is hard on the shoulder. Do you do pullovers? Do you do them on Chest or LAT day?

Anyone have experience with the PLATE LOADED Hammer Strength Pullover machine? Recommend or not?

Thank-you...

pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumping4life is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There seems to be a lot of debate around here about what this exercise does. It definitely works the serratus.

Some say it's a chest exercise, which may be true at the beginning of the movement.

Most say it's a lat exercise,which makes the most sense.

Some believe it will widen the chest, which seems ridiculous to me. I would think the only way it widens the chest is by thickening the worked muscles.

I would love to have a Hamer pullover, but I have never seen anyone compare it to a laying bench pullover. Great question.
    If God had wanted us to be weak, He wouldn't have given us iron.

[]---[] Equipment Crew #28 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #28 ()---()

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've heard the old Nautilus pullover machine referred to as the upper body squat. It was probably my favorite machine when working out with my dad some 30+ years ago.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use cross-bench dumbbell pullovers primarily as a back exercise. It will help bring out the seratus if your bodyfat level is low enough to show definition. I've read old school stuff that used pullovers supersetted with breathing squats to help expand the chest cage. I've read it works best in younger lifters.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hopefully I'll be able to demo the Hammer Strength Pullover this week.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HealthNutMD View Post
    Do you do pullovers?
    No.

Do you do them on Chest or LAT day?
    ^^^^And this is why.

Pullovers, for many trainees, are just too diffuse to be of any real value. Training time would be better-spent doing those exercises that actually target the specific muscle group(s) you're trying to hit.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    No.

^^^^And this is why.

Pullovers, for many trainees, are just too diffuse to be of any real value. Training time would be better-spent doing those exercises that actually target the specific muscle group(s) you're trying to hit.
    I know that the dumbbell pullovers (lying across a bench) can be hard on the shoulders.

As far as musle group targeted, I suppose it would be the anterior serratus. Its just maybe not that exciting to go after such a small muscle group perhaps??

I've always found 'pullovers' to be a mysterious kind of exercise. It seems to work a bunch of everything in an attempt to work the anterior serratus... I'm not even sure what goes to failure first during that exercise.

Maybe somehow the machine pullovers are able to isolate the lats and anterior serratus? (Since there are lots of accessory muscles involved when holding a dumbell in a pullover (chest and triceps seem to get involved just holding the dumbbell in position)... But if you are working out 6 days a week, then that means you've already worked those other parts very hard.

I think that potential 'myth' about expanding the rib cage when you are younger got us to do more pullovers when we were 16- 22... I seemed to stop doing them much after college. I dunno... its just a strange exercise.
    Last edited by HealthNutMD; 10-07-2010 at 11:38 AM.

tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweedbrah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dorian Yates did machine pullovers as his primary back exercise... 'nuff said!

Originally Posted by tweedbrah View Post
    I'm having a hard time demoing the Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Pullover. I tried the selectorized Body Master machine and did not like it.

Ok, I just confirmed there is a 24 hour Fitness that has one 1.5 hours away... @#$$# I guess I'll drive there and check it out. The guy there says he likes it and says a lot of people like it... I have to demo before buying for sure... its probably around $2K to buy. They do have a used ones online. Not sure what to think of used.

ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Obviously if money is no object than buy new, but...

I'm having a hard time demoing the Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Pullover. I tried the selectorized Body Master machine and did not like it.

Ok, I just confirmed there is a 24 hour Fitness that has one 1.5 hours away... @#$$# I guess I'll drive there and check it out. The guy there says he likes it and says a lot of people like it... I have to demo before buying for sure... its probably around $2K to buy. They do have a used ones online. Not sure what to think of used.
    I have about 20 pieces of hammer strength equipment. All used, because frankly money is an object for most people so I would never buy anything new. The great thing about hammer strength plate loaded is there are almost no parts that can go bad. There are no pulley systems, no cables, it is almost all steel. The other benefit of plate loaded is that you can go above and beyond that of the MTS units in poundage. I was able to buy all 20 units for under $5000 and I have made enough back buying and selling so that I basically got those for free with a lot of effort and some free time. Also, on Hammer Strengths website you can find a list of all their affiliated gyms. I am not sure if you looked there or not, but that is where I would start.

Originally Posted by ndmike99 View Post
    I have about 20 pieces of hammer strength equipment. All used, because frankly money is an object for most people so I would never buy anything new. The great thing about hammer strength plate loaded is there are almost no parts that can go bad. There are no pulley systems, no cables, it is almost all steel. The other benefit of plate loaded is that you can go above and beyond that of the MTS units in poundage. I was able to buy all 20 units for under $5000 and I have made enough back buying and selling so that I basically got those for free with a lot of effort and some free time. Also, on Hammer Strengths website you can find a list of all their affiliated gyms. I am not sure if you looked there or not, but that is where I would start.
    I agree totally with everyting you say. The only MTS piece I want to get is the AB Crunch. I like that Ab machine. It seems to be one of the few I like. Any other Ab machines worth considering? Do you guys like that HAmmer Ab Crunch?

Yes I got the sales rep to print me out a list of what gyms had which pieces I was interested in, that is how I found out where to demo certain pieces.

Places I looked for used by google searching... www.usedgymequipment has a lot of stuff. There is PFC and a bunch of others. All you have to do is google hammer strength or the specific piece and you find all these refurbished or used sites.

$5K for 20 pieces is amazing... that is one hell of a deal... They seem to go for about $1150.00 refurbed minimum... I guess you bought a whole circuit at once, but that is a helluva deal.

ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ndmike99 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Man I feel like I am posting a ton today, oh well, its Friday.

If it were me and I were putting together my dream gym this is the ab machine I would want:

http://www.usedgymequipment.com/fitn...nt.cfm?eid=742

It is the old school Nautlius Ab 1. They are hard to find, but it looks like usedgym has one. You can see its photo in the circuit (it is the first photo). I bet for the right price they would sell it to you. I also know of a few on craigslist, but I am not sure what area you are from. This is the only ab machine I would buy personally. Here is one listed on craigslist:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hab/1986199042.html

If you want any help finding used ones let me know through PM.

Originally Posted by ndmike99 View Post
    If it were me and I were putting together my dream gym this is the ab machine I would want:

http://www.usedgymequipment.com/fitn...nt.cfm?eid=742

It is the old school Nautlius Ab 1. They are hard to find, but it looks like usedgym has one. You can see its photo in the circuit (it is the first photo). I bet for the right price they would sell it to you. I also know of a few on craigslist, but I am not sure what area you are from. This is the only ab machine I would buy personally. Here is one listed on craigslist:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/hab/1986199042.html

If you want any help finding used ones let me know through PM.

They both look in good shape! I guess that Nautilus Ab and Nautilus Pullover are the best two things they ever made. Its too bad someone can't match it. They should be able to improve upon it.

I really like the Hammer MTS Ab Crunch as a runner up though. It is very decent IMO.

skeightr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tweedbrah View Post
    Exactly.....Dorian was a thinking mans bodybuilder and the greatest ever and he did them.......so yeah 'nuff said

I got some pics of various pullover machines... including a nautilus plate loaded pollover with dual stacks... you could have loaded 1000 lbs on it.

That being said, there are two huge used gym equipment places in LA I will go see in the next month... I think they have the nautilus pullover and the hammer strength pullover.

I'm still not sure what goes to failure when I do these, its hard to tell.

Squating in the curl rack OutKlast's Avatar
    OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000) OutKlast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't do dumbbell or barbell pullovers anymore cause it was rough on the shoulders and my triceps would always fail first and subsequently limit me in other exercises.

What I do these days is a cable incline pushdown (on back/chest day), though really its sort of a substitute for the fact that I don't have a lat pulldown just a cable cross. Feels good though, hits the lats and a little bit of chest. But there is very little use of the arms due to the lovely nature of cable stacks in being able to provide non-vertical resistance.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise...cline-pushdown

I tend to do mine at a slightly lower angle though, pulley set lower and bench a little lower with a slightly longer rear reach, so a little closer to pullover but with arms locked.

qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi All,

I remember the days at PSU when we would stretch over a flat bench and do lots of pullovers. Always confused if Pullovers did more than just anterior serratus.

I never seem to do these anymore... Maybe cause it is hard on the shoulder. Do you do pullovers? Do you do them on Chest or LAT day?

Anyone have experience with the PLATE LOADED Hammer Strength Pullover machine? Recommend or not?

Thank-you...
    I prefer the cybex classic pullover or the original life fitness pro series pullover but the hammer one is nice too.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do you do pullovers? Do you do them on Chest or LAT day?

Anyone have experience with the PLATE LOADED Hammer Strength Pullover machine?
    Chris, I know it's an old thread.

I do like HS Pullover. From my experience, this machine is a little more forgiving on shoulders. I came to think that HS PO is an upgraded version of Nautilus PO, given the fact that the guy who started Hammer Strength has Nautilus pedigree. And I didn't really miss foot lever on HS PO.

I always do machine pullovers when training back muscles.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recently got a polaris pullover. I like the way it feels and that i dont have ti worry about dropping a dumbbell on my face . As my coworker said who tried it you dont feel it in the stomach area like you would if you used a bench and dumbbell. It really isolates the lats. It also saves your arms and hands strength for other stuff. Ive tried a cybex pullover too and it didnt feel as good as the polaris. I could feel it in my stomach on the cybex. The angle on the polaris pad is further back than the cybex or a nautilus so maybe thats why. Did you pickup a pullover healthnut?
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

Wow, old thread...

Yes, I have the Nautilus Power Plus plate loaded pullover and the Power Plus 10 degree chest. Those are the only Nautilus I own.

Anyone have a pic of the Polaris?
    {}---{} Best of the Best Machines and Free Weights Crew #1 {}---{}
    MXA------MEDX Avenger Crew #2------MXA
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #12 []---[]

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~