Page 293 of 329 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 ... LastLast
Results 8,761 to 8,790 of 9867
    -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Lol, it looks like someone photochopped your head onto someone else's body.

P.S. Do you own a smartphone, Bill? These days everybody has one (I reckon even Sherman has one).

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    A good final push on the lunges today and looks like you'll be breaking out those "hundos" for the rows next time around!

I kind of miss the db rows and considering bring them back at some point. For me, there is something that always feels "freeing" about them; I'm sure something which is especially noticeable to you or anyone who has worked with a fixed bar for quite some time.
    Thanks, Terrence; I had a good day overall. That 3-rep Lunge goal has eluded me, for now, but I hit it as hard as I was able, so no regrets.

That's one of the best things about DB Rows--the freedom of ROM and the ability to loosen-up form just enough to really move some iron while still working the back.

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    As always, the outstanding work continues in here my brother. The new AVI is a testament to that fact (as if there were any doubt). Keep killin' it brother.

And, btw...calling that sirloin "char-grilled" is spot on. At quick glance, I thought it was a hockey-puck!

Hope everything else is well with the family my friend.
    Thanks, FIM; I'm working hard to keep it moving forward.

The burger patty was so dark because I mixed-in some A-1 steak and Worcestershire sauce (along with some onion and garlic powder) into the raw meat before pattying it up. The sugar in the steak sauce charred a bit, but the burgers come out super juicy, even for such a lean cut as sirloin.

Originally Posted by cmg1976 View Post
    Another solid session. And I'm jealous of your breakfast Poached eggs are the best.
    Thanks! We'll eat some type of egg meal at just about any time of day, and just about every day as well. They're a great source of protein, fat, and micronutrients.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Lol, it looks like someone photochopped your head onto someone else's body.
    LOL. I wish whomever did the 'shop would have used Phil Heath's body!

P.S. Do you own a smartphone, Bill? These days everybody has one (I reckon even Sherman has one).
    My wife has an iphone and an ipad. Since we can't really afford two of them, I don't carry a cellphone. Believe it or not, I gave mine up the day I retired from the Phone Company (it was company-provided).

I'll use hers (iphone) occasionally (on the rare instances she's not glued to it). The ipad is nice, with a crystal-clear image, and I'll use it occasionally also. I'm not a big fan of Apple's operating system, but that's probably only because I've always used Windows-based systems (even on the tech stuff I worked on at my former job), and am just not used to Apple's terminology.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bumped Flyes up a nickel on the top set today and managed 5 good reps. I'll stay at this ramp-up until I can get the 65s to 8 reps, and then bump all three sets up by a nickel at that time.
    Well played, my friend. It's been nice seeing you manage the ramp up of an old lift that has been reintroduced into the program - it's like watching the smooth landing of airplane, or something.

The tendency is to always do the max that your raw strength can handle right in that moment, but tendons and joints have a way of tapping you on the shoulder and reminding you that's a bad idea somewhere down the line...
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Well played, my friend. It's been nice seeing you manage the ramp up of an old lift that has been reintroduced into the program - it's like watching the smooth landing of airplane, or something.
    Thanks, Mike. It was tempting to grab something heavier a couple of weeks ago when I first brought Flyes back in, but I finally got it through my thick skull that when your shoulders are held together with paper clips, duct tape, and spit, going heavy right out of the chute is a bad move!

The tendency is to always do the max that your raw strength can handle right in that moment, but tendons and joints have a way of tapping you on the shoulder and reminding you that's a bad idea somewhere down the line...
    Quoted For Truth.

And besides, what's the hurry to get to heavier weight anyway? it'll still be sitting there in the rack, right where it's at now, in a couple of weeks when it can be handled properly.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great work Bill...chins are looking good.

I don't have a smart phone either....may consider one when I retire (and hopefully travel more).

Avi is looking good.
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

A step backwards is better than a setback.

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    Great work Bill...chins are looking good.

I don't have a smart phone either....may consider one when I retire (and hopefully travel more).

Avi is looking good.
    Thanks, Will; I appreciate the comments.

Smart phones are great; practically indispensable in this day and age. I just don't see the need for two of them in my family, at least not right now, especially since we're both retired, and are almost always in the same place.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just caught up on your last couple pages, looking strong as usual, Bill. Hey, have you ever done or considered 1-leg presses? Lyle McDonald (I believe it was, or maybe Cosgrove) suggested it in an article as a way to keep the lower back safer...less stressed if I remember correctly. I've tried it a few times and it feels a little awkward, but definitely hammers the (single) leg that's being worked. Anyway, everything is looking good here, carry on
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good session today; put forth as much effort as I was able to muster. Today's training was:

Barbell Lunge
    bar x5 W/U
    bar x5 W/U
    95x3
    135x3
    185x3
    225x3
    295x2

295x2

225x3 backoff set

Dumbbell Row
    50x8 W/U
    95x6
    95x6
    95x6

Incline Flye
    40x8 W/U
    55x8
    60x8
    65x5

Completed this session in right at one hour. Lunges are still stalled at 2 reps, and while they were good, I knew I didn't have a 3rd in me again today. I'll deload next week, and decide what I'm going to do with these in regards to sets/reps. I've been chasing that triple long enough, at least for this go-around. I'll probably drop the weight and work 3x5 across for a while.

Bumped Dumbbell Rows by a nickel, met my reps-across at 3x6, so will bump them again after deload. I expect these will continue to move right up for a few more weeks; the 95x6 sets weren't difficult.

Bumped Flyes up a nickel on the top set today and managed 5 good reps. I'll stay at this ramp-up until I can get the 65s to 8 reps, and then bump all three sets up by a nickel at that time.

That's all I've got for today. A rest day tomorrow will be followed by Romanians, Curls, and Flat Presses on Friday.

Post-WorkOut eats were a pair of poached eggs on whole wheat with picante sauce, a bowl of grits with butter, and a glass of milk.

Bumped for referances.

Good work on the lunges, I don't see them as a good exercise to tempt failure on.
    I would fall over.

Good news on the rows and flyes...there's room for improvements!

As an old school single guy Will, I ditched my cell phone when I learned every single woman is attached to one and they like to text when I'm working.
    When I accidently lost it, I made sure it stayed lost.

Don't you ever get a hunkerin' for more reps during your training?

Originally Posted by tnthudson View Post
    Just caught up on your last couple pages, looking strong as usual, Bill. Hey, have you ever done or considered 1-leg presses? Lyle McDonald (I believe it was, or maybe Cosgrove) suggested it in an article as a way to keep the lower back safer...less stressed if I remember correctly. I've tried it a few times and it feels a little awkward, but definitely hammers the (single) leg that's being worked. Anyway, everything is looking good here, carry on
    Hey, Todd, thanks; good to see you in here!

I've tried 1-Legged Presses a few times in the past, and they felt totally alien to me. That's an interesting comment about their safety re: lower back; that's where they really felt odd to me. I've never gone back.

Body mechanics are such an individual subject though, that it's tough to just outright disclaim any exercise for everyone. There are plenty of guys journaling here, a few of them even posting in this journal, who use or have used 1-Leggers with good results.

My best advices are if something doesn't feel 'right,' even with proper form being used, then that 'something' shouldn't be used.

Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post

Good work on the lunges, I don't see them as a good exercise to tempt failure on.
    Thanks, Brian, and neither do I. And that's very likely the reason why I've been stuck at 2 reps for what seems like years.

As an old school single guy Will, I ditched my cell phone when I learned every single woman is attached to one and they like to text when I'm working.
    When I accidently lost it, I made sure it stayed lost.
    Lulz.

We'll (my wife and I) be watching TV (or at least, I will), and she'll be sitting there , thumbs flailing wildly as she texts to whomever.

Don't you ever get a hunkerin' for more reps during your training?
    I figured out a long time ago from trial and error (and Poliquin's muscle fiber test) that I'm a bit of an anomaly in that just about all of my body parts respond best to relatively low reps (mostly 6-8), and that's where I've made my best gains over the years. That said, I've also learned that it's a good idea to break out of the mold once in a while and train counter to what you've always done in the past, even if it's worked well.

For me, anything over 10 is "high" reps, and I'm hitting that with leg presses right now.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000) hazto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strong session this week, have a good weekend Bill.
    Consistency = WIN

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Phil 4:13

David

Ironwill2008 V2.0

Closed out the training week, as well as this 3-week segment, with a good effort. Today's training was:

Romanian Deadlift
    bar x15 W/U
    135x5 W/U
    225x3
    275x3
    315x3
    365x3
    405x2

Alternate Dumbbell curl
    30x8 W/U
    35x8
    40x8
    45x7

Smith Machine Flat Press
    95x10 W/U
    135x5 W/U
    210x8
    210x7
    210x6

Completed this session in an hour and five minutes. My primary training goal for the day was to solidify the triple on the top set of Romanians. Didn't quite make it today, so I'll go into deload next week determined to work a little harder the following week. I hit that count once, so I know I can do it again.

Picked up a rep on DB Curls, all the while maintaining good form. I plan to bump the weight on all three work sets when I hit 8-across.

Also added a rep on Flat Presses. These are getting a bit stale, performance-wise, but I don't really have any other effective go-to. Barbell Presses are out; they kill my shoulders, and my questionable grip doesn't allow me to safely lift heavy enough dumbbells over my head/face to keep the rep counts down where they'll do me any good. I'll need to do some thinking about this situation. I'm kind of leaning towards using light dumbbells and just running the reps way up, but I've done that in the past with questionable results.

That's it for this one. I'll rest over the weekend, then do a light deload workout on Monday, the contents of which are subject to change on the spur of the moment. I'll probably do some light Barbell Squats, but past that, I'll just kind of wing it.

Post meal was a pair of my wife's take on Huevos Rancheros (IMO, one of the best things that can happen to eggs), along with a couple strips of bacon and a glass of cold milk.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by hazto View Post
    Strong session this week, have a good weekend Bill.
    Hey, David, thanks! I've tried to build up a little momentum to carry with me into deload next week, and feel like I've accomplished that task.

Have a great weekend yourself.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great lifts and great fuel, Bill.

How do your Shoulders feel about dips as a substitute for the bench press?

Enjoy your weekend.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great set of work you've done. Enjoy the deload.

Looking powerful in the new avi.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice session Bill and a great end to a good week.

Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    I was going to ask about this ^^^^ as well. I know they don't agree with everyone but for me weighted chest dips have become one of my favorite exercises and I really enjoy doing them.

Enjoy your weekend!

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work on the Smith presses Bill. I saw someone doing about the same wt yesterday, but w/ 2-3" ROM. Surprisingly, a middle aged man.
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another inspiring week. GJDM. As always, thanks for your time and reports.
    "I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work on taming those DB curls; I'm not sure where this train is headed, but you're using a good load already!
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

Great lifts and great fuel, Bill.

Enjoy your weekend.
    Thanks, Andy. Those little taco shell cups are filled with Mexican rice, black beans, and salsa, with an egg on top, then into the oven. Then out of the oven, they're topped with grated cheese and more salsa. I'm tellin' you, they are really good. We'll usually make them a half-dozen at a time; the leftovers are just as good when reheated in a microwave.

Back in the day before the Arthritis started to get into my hands and wrists, I did Dips all the time. I would love to be able to do them now, but I don't think my wrists will tolerate them. But I've thought about at least giving them a try again, and your mentioning them will have me give them a shot this week during deload.

Have a good weekend yourself.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Great set of work you've done. Enjoy the deload.

Looking powerful in the new avi.
    Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the comments. I'm going to use the week to do some substituting of exercises, something I've been doing for deloads recently. Not only does it keep things a bit more interessting when dealing with these light sessions, it usually gives me some ideas to incorporate into my regular routine.

And you make that BBdotcom shirt look good, bud!

Originally Posted by terman1 View Post
    Nice session Bill and a great end to a good week.
    Thanks, Terrence; I feel like I'm going into deload with a little momentum behind me.

I was going to ask about this ^^^^ as well. I know they don't agree with everyone but for me weighted chest dips have become one of my favorite exercises and I really enjoy doing them.

Enjoy your weekend!
    It's been several years since I did any Dips. Oddly enough, it wasn't my dodgy shoulders that made me step away from them, but rather my wrists. But I'm going to give them another shot on Friday in lieu of Flat Presses, and see what shakes out.

Have a good weekend yourself.

Nice work on the Smith presses Bill. I saw someone doing about the same wt yesterday, but w/ 2-3" ROM. Surprisingly, a middle aged man.
    Thanks, Will. Those (Presses on the Smith) have worked so well for me for so long that I think I'd still use them even if I could tolerate a free bar. I feel every bit of the work in my chest, which, after all, is the point of Benches.

That minimal ROM, as you know (but apparently not the guy you mention), will only provide minimal muscle stimulation. And it seems like that fact should be common knowledge, but it isn't. It (using a lot of weight in a very narrow ROM) is actually a good way to blow out a shoulder; if he can't press it full range, he's using more weight than his RCs should be subjected to.

A tough lesson to learn the hard way.

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    Another inspiring week. GJDM. As always, thanks for your time and reports.
    Hey, C, thanks. I'm rolling along, and managing to pick up the odd rep here and there. And daggone it, it's always fun to try to push the envelope, even by just a tiny bit.

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Nice work on taming those DB curls; I'm not sure where this train is headed, but you're using a good load already!
    Thanks, Mike. I got 'em (DB Curls) back in a tight groove Friday. IIRC, the last time I had them in my routine, I worked my way up to sets of 6-8 @50. Don't know if they'll get back to that weight this go-around, but I'm going to make sure that whatever load I use, I make them look good.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Ironwill2008 V2.0

Today's session is the first in a series of 3 light deload workouts this week. I'll reduce my loads, keep all reps counts conservative, and stay away from failure. The idea is to get some "active rest," an opportunity for joints and attachments to catch up with the faster-recovering muscles. Today's training was:

barbell squats
    bar x10W/U
    135x8
    185x8
    225x8

Chinups
    bw x8
    bw x8
    bw x8

Clean & Press
    bar x5 W/U
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3

Completed this session in about a half-hour. Got a good stretch from the Squats as well as a decent quad pump.

Repped-out the Chinups with minimal rest between sets, and was wheezing a little at the end of the 3rd set.

I do several sets of C & P with an empty bar as a basic warmup before every training session, and decided to put a bit of iron on the bar and do some triples from the floor. These are quite taxing, even at low weight, and I found myself needing a few extra seconds of rest between the sets, even as short as they were. Good exercise; if I had any amount of confidence in my grip, I'd be doing these in earnest.

That's it for this one. I'll rest tomorrow, then do a light session on Wednesday. Not yet sure what it'll be comprised of, but I'll know when I step in there.

PWO meal was a simple one of 1/4 pound of grilled ground sirloin, Mexican rice, a small cup of fruit, and a glass of milk.

No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Good timing on the deload. Maybe you can enjoy some spring time weather.

I've been thinking about adding some power cleans into the routine, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    My current log

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Had a feeling it was about time for a de-load week.

Lurked around last week but didn't have anything meaningful to add.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000) cmg1976 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I didn't know you did cleans too- how long did it take you to master them? As you've seen I'm still a fumbling mess half the time, lol.

Do you ever just take a week off too or is the lighter work load typically sufficient for you to recover?
    My training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150928103

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Clean & Press
    bar x5 W/U
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3
    95x3
    Yep, this movement is taxing. I've done it for a couple of weeks when running Paul Carter's 'mass building' routine and I'd feel like passing out right after I was done with it. Excellent movement, though. In my evil opinion, cleaning the weight off the floor and then pressing it is the ideal way to do it. Pavel Tsatsouline said something about your upper back not being tight enough when you just grab the bar from the rack and press it. He was right.

Corpsman 91-99 & forever cmoore's Avatar
    cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cmoore has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't believe you were "Weezy"

"I'm not a Ninja, but I played one on TV." -cmoore, American Ninja Warrior (ANW 7,8)

"Of all the things I lost during my cut, I miss my mind the most." -cmoore

Good timing on the deload. Maybe you can enjoy some spring time weather.

I've been thinking about adding some power cleans into the routine, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    It's been unseasonably warm here so far, with temps already in the mid-80's. I'm just hoping we don't see another Summer as severe as last year's.

Power Cleans are another full-body exercise; no muscle goes untouched. Many years ago, when I still had some semblance of shoulder joints and a decent grip, I used them for a little while. They weren't in 'style' for bodybuilders back then though, so I quit using them.

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Had a feeling it was about time for a de-load week.

Lurked around last week but didn't have anything meaningful to add.
    Training is always pretty dull during these light weeks, especially to post about.

I don't have any idea what I'm going to do for exercises today, and am not even going to think about it until I step into the gym.

Originally Posted by cmg1976 View Post
    I didn't know you did cleans too- how long did it take you to master them? As you've seen I'm still a fumbling mess half the time, lol.
    I don't actually train them; I just use them (with an empty bar) as an overall warmup before every workout. The few 95-pound sets I did Monday was the first time in probably 15 years that I did a few sets with any weight at all.

I consider them to be a 'moderate-skill' exercise; more difficult to learn than, say, Squats or Lunges, but certainly much less difficult than the two Olympic lifts (which I've never done seriously).

Do you ever just take a week off too or is the lighter work load typically sufficient for you to recover?
    I've never scheduled time completely 'off;' I've found that RL will sometimes automatically do that for you. Deloads have worked very well for me. And especially since I retired, I need to do something several times a week; I love to weight train, so that's what I do. I just scale it way back for the duration of the deload.

Nothing wrong with taking an 'off' week, as long as it doesn't become an 'off' month.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Yep, this movement is taxing. I've done it for a couple of weeks when running Paul Carter's 'mass building' routine and I'd feel like passing out right after I was done with it. Excellent movement, though. In my evil opinion, cleaning the weight off the floor and then pressing it is the ideal way to do it. Pavel Tsatsouline said something about your upper back not being tight enough when you just grab the bar from the rack and press it. He was right.
    I've done some Hang Clean & Press in the past, but I'm with you; might as well start and end every rep on the floor, and work everything.

Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    I don't believe you were "Weezy"

Lulz. I loved that show back in the day.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

So the power cleans were rough on the shoulders Bill??
    My current log

So the power cleans were rough on the shoulders Bill??
    It wasn't necessarily the exercise, Will, but the Arthritis in my shoulders. Today, it's my hands more than anything else that are my limiting factor in what I'm able to do.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In on deload.

I appreciate how much effort it takes for you to make yourself deload when all you want to do is grit teeth and work hard. Looking forward to next week, I hope you are still set on the dips? I was trying to think of ways to make things more comfortable, but without ever experiencing hand arthritis, its hard to know what its limiting factors are. Would strapping them up make any difference, or just make it worse?
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

In on deload.

I appreciate how much effort it takes for you to make yourself deload when all you want to do is grit teeth and work hard. Looking forward to next week, I hope you are still set on the dips? I was trying to think of ways to make things more comfortable, but without ever experiencing hand arthritis, its hard to know what its limiting factors are. Would strapping them up make any difference, or just make it worse?
    I'll definitely give Dips a try Friday. It might end on the first rep, but then, who knows?

There's nothing I know of that will help, Andy, but I sure appreciate the thought.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Page 293 of 329 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 303 ... LastLast