Page 1 of 330 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    green(bean)machine brandibopeep's Avatar
    brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000)

Smile First time BULKERS apply here ;)

I'll start. To summarize....

when *I* started~I'm not sure when to say my bulk began. Initially I went from eating at a deficit to eating at what I perceived as maintenance(1900-2000ish) around mid-August. Started eating about 200-300ish above maintenance by the 3rd week in August. BUT my workout program at the time didn't have a set progression and IDK if those calories were actually used to 'bulk" muscle or just went to my love handles LOL! August 29th I started the "allpro's beginner workout" from the workout forums and just started my 2nd 5 wk cycle of that. So hopefully I've got the diet *and* the workout covered now to be officially bulking.

weight gained~went from 123ish to 125 when I went back to maintenance. Then gradually to 126 and 127. I usually weigh 2-3x a week and take the average. Curious to see where this week ends up since I was 129 this morning! I know weight gain is not linear and does flucuate ALOT but I am trying to keep a rough idea of how I am gaining so I am not putting on too much too fast.(<<----somedays I give a fuk about this and somedays I don't. My goal is to build muscle and I'd rather err on the side of getting too many calories than too few. Being an active SAHM my energy out varies so it's hard to really *know* what my maintenance is.)

goal~bulk til Feb-March. It'll depend on what I see in the mirror as far as muscle gain *and* fat gain.

mind fuk~most days I am good about all this. The feeling of strength has always been more important to me than feeling "thin" for lack of a better word. BUT there have been a few times that I've felt a bit mushy etc. already. Overall though it's been a positive, enjoyable experience thus far....hoping to continue that way.

Okay other first timers! I *know* you are out there! Your turn to chime in!
    In my pursuit of achieving a leaner body I've realized I was better off before calorie counting...my life was more balanced and my lifting was more enjoyable so back to living,loving & lifting I am! No more weighing...myself or my food ;)

SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SJBC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good job so far!

I have been having so much fun bulking that I don't ever want to go back. I started at the end of june at 126 and am now at 134. I am actually having a hard time getting past 134, I have upped my cals and am still here. But my lifts are going up and I am really enjoying my time at the gym. My lifts have gone up some where around 30 - 40% appx since the start of this bulk (not all lifts have gone up that much just the larger compound ones) which is what I really care about. I actually have not gained that much fat. My clothes pretty much all still fit except maybe a couple that are sized a little smaller. I just cannot believe how little fat I have gained with this slow bulk.

For cals I started out eating about 2100, then upped it to 2300, now 2300 is not getting the job done. I am trying to get in 2500 per day but it is hard. Although on Saturday I think I put down 3200. I am doing NROL Strength I right now.

Good luck!

Ass busting work + consistency + time = results. -Lyle M.

brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000) brandibopeep is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SJBC View Post
    I actually have not gained that much fat. My clothes pretty much all still fit except maybe a couple that are sized a little smaller. I just cannot believe how little fat I have gained with this slow bulk.

!
    My clothes *don't* fit the same nor did I expect them to. I'm a jeans girl and my jeans are not very forgiving! I'm really hoping to build my legs and butt so even if I wasn't gaining any fat my jeans I would expect them to not fit! Time will tell if they don't fit cuz of fat or muscle I guess!
    In my pursuit of achieving a leaner body I've realized I was better off before calorie counting...my life was more balanced and my lifting was more enjoyable so back to living,loving & lifting I am! No more weighing...myself or my food ;)

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just wanted to chime in that you're not alone!

I am at 112 now up from 107 in July up from 105 in May...not sure where I'm going with this. My goal is to be more muscular and stronger which I am definitely progressing in that area...but I won't lie, I am having some issues with seeing the scale move up. I was always 105 pounds since a year after my last baby (who is 7 now) until about May of this year. So seeing 112 on the scale is a bit scary to say the least. But I digress.

I am doing Cross Fit 2x a week and lifting 2-3x a week (NROLFW) with cardio (elliptical/treadmill) thrown in there 2x a week extra. I have seen major strength gains no doubt. My clothes still fit for the most part, but are tighter in the legs and butt area. And my tighter shirts (size small or extra small) do not fit around the shoulders...I either have to buy a larger size or buy the stretchier type shirts that give a little.

I am eating about 1800 a day, up from 1500 so I will see where this takes me and then readjust. And I definitely have a cheat meal every weekend, and I drink (3-5 drinks) a couple of times a week too, so I know that affects things as well. So far, so good though.
    Karen

leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is my first bulk, I'm planning just going a couple months before cutting. And I'm going pretty slowly, only a couple hundred above maintenance (which means eating up to around 3000 calories some days because of how active I am!). But yeah, I'm just trying to take it slow since I already gained a ton of fat (16 lbs but some's water weight) in the past month from eating a normal amount of food after starving myself, so I'm doing a short slow bulk, short safe cut, and back to bulking when I'm more prepared for the weight gain And I'll have newb gains anyways since I just recently starting lifting lol

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started bulking at the beginning of September. My weight fluctuates so much that it's hard to figure out how much I've gained but I started around 126lbs and I'm around 129lbs now. I'm eating an extra 200-300 calories a day for the most part, but it's hard to calculate the weekends when I eat at friends' houses and go out to eat. My clothes are fitting ok - most of them were already a tad bit too big anyway so I'm not bursting at the seams yet. I'm not looking forward to buying new pants in a month or so! I've always been a pear shape so some of my pants were already a bit tight in the legs so I don't anticipate in fitting in them for much longer.

I'm planning on bulking until May or so, so it'll be 9 months of bulking before I do a cut. I'm a little nervous about all this but I think it'll be worth it in the end! I was so disappointed when I got to my goal weight because I just looked scrawny and didn't feel sexy like I wanted. Hopefully in a year or so I will finally be satisfied but I have a feeling I'll be doing bulk/cut cycles for a while..

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm another new bulker! I started upping my cals in August and started my bulk Sep 1st. The first month was a bit spooky mind-fuk wise, I went from 126 to 134 in 3 weeks, *but* almost all of that was bloat/water weight from fast food (hehe, enjoying the bulk much!) and monthly fluctuation. At my one month mark and after cutting back fast food/salt as much, I was 128, for a total of 2 pounds gained with an average of 150 cals above maintenance (I compare with my GoWear burn numbers).

I got soooo bloated in there, but I could tell it wasn't much fat gain as it was all my stomach and it was tight, just huge like a bowling ball. I feel like my muscles are getting firmer and bigger already, especially quads, abs, and biceps, though I know there probably is no discernible muscle mass increase yet. On the days when my stomach isn't too bloated, it seems like my abs are thicker and more defined under the same amount of fat. Clothes fit the same except when I'm really bloaty the waist area gets tighter, but I'm not too concerned. Body measurements were the same from the previous month except for 1/2" waist increase. Cold weather came in this week, so it is so the time for bulking!

I'm doing Madcow's (based on Bill Star's) 5x5 and I am coming to see the ingeniousness of the program with the incremental increase in ramping weights. I have not gotten to my PR numbers yet (should in about a week and a half), but the weights are feeling great and I'm loving the workouts!

My short-term plan is stick at 150 over maintenance for another month and see where I end up at the start of Nov. I want to keep up a 1-2 pound increase per month, and will adjust cals on a monthly basis (since my monthlies make my weight change so much) depending on progress of weight/body measurements/strength increases. I'm leaning towards increasing cals if I don't get much bigger the second month from the first.

Long-term plan is bulk till about May-ish, longer if I can put up with it. If I feel okay body-image wise come summer, I might just stretch it out into a 1 1/2 year bulk. But that's pretty tentative. I don't want to be able to get into the 120s again, I want to put on enough muscle so the next time I cut, I'll be ripped in the 130s.

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    I'm another new bulker! I started upping my cals in August and started my bulk Sep 1st. The first month was a bit spooky mind-fuk wise, I went from 126 to 134 in 3 weeks, *but* almost all of that was bloat/water weight from fast food (hehe, enjoying the bulk much!) and monthly fluctuation. At my one month mark and after cutting back fast food/salt as much, I was 128, for a total of 2 pounds gained with an average of 150 cals above maintenance (I compare with my GoWear burn numbers).

I got soooo bloated in there, but I could tell it wasn't much fat gain as it was all my stomach and it was tight, just huge like a bowling ball. I feel like my muscles are getting firmer and bigger already, especially quads, abs, and biceps, though I know there probably is no discernible muscle mass increase yet. On the days when my stomach isn't too bloated, it seems like my abs are thicker and more defined under the same amount of fat. Clothes fit the same except when I'm really bloaty the waist area gets tighter, but I'm not too concerned. Body measurements were the same from the previous month except for 1/2" waist increase. Cold weather came in this week, so it is so the time for bulking!

I'm doing Madcow's (based on Bill Star's) 5x5 and I am coming to see the ingeniousness of the program with the incremental increase in ramping weights. I have not gotten to my PR numbers yet (should in about a week and a half), but the weights are feeling great and I'm loving the workouts!

My short-term plan is stick at 150 over maintenance for another month and see where I end up at the start of Nov. I want to keep up a 1-2 pound increase per month, and will adjust cals on a monthly basis (since my monthlies make my weight change so much) depending on progress of weight/body measurements/strength increases. I'm leaning towards increasing cals if I don't get much bigger the second month from the first.

Long-term plan is bulk till about May-ish, longer if I can put up with it. If I feel okay body-image wise come summer, I might just stretch it out into a 1 1/2 year bulk. But that's pretty tentative. I don't want to be able to get into the 120s again, I want to put on enough muscle so the next time I cut, I'll be ripped in the 130s.
    You nailed it about the bloated belly! I started this habit of pinching the skin/fat near my belly button as a reference back when I was cutting-I realize this isn't highly accurrate but I tend to gain in my stomach easily and it's the stubborn spot of fat I was really trying to get rid of. When I pinch there now it isn't that much different...it's all the bloating behind the muscle that makes my pants uncomfortable by the end of the day. I also started creatine a few weeks ago....it's possible that it's contributing to bloat as well.

And I'm so jealous of those that have bodybuggs! When I went to 2200 calories I didn't gain for 3 weeks. I had to go higher to start gaining again. I suspect that I am burning 2200 or more(at least on workout days) but it'd be nice to know for sure so I *could* adjust my calories accordingly. I have this fear of going under my maintenance somedays and fuking this whole thing up...which is why I have been erring on the side of more(somedays 2400) than less....it'd be so much nicer to just *know* what I was burning!

digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ugh. To all of you bulking, I seriously salute you!

I wish I wasn't so mental, and that where I lived we had a real winter. I wear tank tops, shorts and sandals almost year round. Maybe less during December/January, but I know a 2 month bulk is not even worth my time. I want to do it, but I'd like to commit to it for at least 8-10 months if not more.

I'm still working on it. For now, eating at maintenance is what I'm going to stick to.

Anyhow.. Congrats to you all!
    "The Way Out Is Through"

Digital Bath Explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

Solveig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I love this thread! I started my first bulk for 3 weeks ago. I have eaten around 2500 kcal or more every day, and do no cardio and strength training 4 days a week . But still I havn't gained any weight I now weight 124 pounds. Want to get to 130 or something.
    Sometimes its a little hard to eat all that food, still being afraid of gaining to much fat. But I guess thats normal =)
    Anyone got any advice?

Amazing to read about other girls tryin to bulk!
    "When you have a great and difficult task, something perhaps almost impossible, if you only work a little at a time, every day a little, suddenly the work will finish itself."
    ? Isak Dinesen

squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squeaks77 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I tried to do my first bulk last fall, but failed. I have a new approach this year. I am no longer tracking calories. I think that's where my mind-fuk came from...seeing the calories. I am eating mostly healthy foods, but eating what I want. I feel fat. My jeans don't fit. I'm short with no waist, so a few lbs bumps me up in pants size. I always feel like all the weight gain is in my stomach. I understand the mechanics now and know what I have to do and the only way for me to do it is to not think about it too much. No over-analyzing this time!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

My bodybuilding journal:
    Squeaks' Journey to a hotter bod and other life stuff - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135424291

ProMera Sports SUMMER LOG PROMO: Con-Cret - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146257573 (complete)

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by digitalbath11 View Post
    Ugh. To all of you bulking, I seriously salute you!

I wish I wasn't so mental, and that where I lived we had a real winter. I wear tank tops, shorts and sandals almost year round. Maybe less during December/January, but I know a 2 month bulk is not even worth my time. I want to do it, but I'd like to commit to it for at least 8-10 months if not more.

I'm still working on it. For now, eating at maintenance is what I'm going to stick to.

Anyhow.. Congrats to you all!
    I just moved to Florida a few months ago. The bodies in Tampa aren't as amazing as I was thinking they would be with as many people using the weather as a reason not to bulk around here. I do see a few more fit people than I'm accustomed to seeing in San Angelo, but the average person is...still average.

Depending on how your fat is distributed, it can be disguised under a tank top and shorts. You'd probably just want to stay away from anything midriff-baring if you gain weight the way most women do and switch to longer shorts or yoga pants/capris if you have an issue with cellulite on the back of your legs. I have always been able to get away with short shorts and tanks while bulking, even when I got up to 150 pounds (which would surely look better on me now than it did during my second bulk! LOL). If your pic and stats are current, if you gained 10-ish pounds over the next 4-5 months or so while lifting HEAVY you'd have plenty of time to make a bit of progress and lean up before bikinis become mandatory again. Then start a bit earlier the next year so you can spend more of your year focusing on mass gain.

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Also bulking.

This is my first concerted effort to actually gain weight. I agree, it's a bit of a mindfck...

I'm hoping to keep gains slow. My goal is to gain 1 lb/month until April or May, which should bring me close to 130. Scary. I've been gradually increasing my calories over the past month or so. Last week I actually lost weight which was screwy.

But yeah... Eating more, FTW!
    -

digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Amanda76 View Post
    I just moved to Florida a few months ago. The bodies in Tampa aren't as amazing as I was thinking they would be with as many people using the weather as a reason not to bulk around here. I do see a few more fit people than I'm accustomed to seeing in San Angelo, but the average person is...still average.

Depending on how your fat is distributed, it can be disguised under a tank top and shorts. You'd probably just want to stay away from anything midriff-baring if you gain weight the way most women do and switch to longer shorts or yoga pants/capris if you have an issue with cellulite on the back of your legs. I have always been able to get away with short shorts and tanks while bulking, even when I got up to 150 pounds (which would surely look better on me now than it did during my second bulk! LOL). If your pic and stats are current, if you gained 10-ish pounds over the next 4-5 months or so while lifting HEAVY you'd have plenty of time to make a bit of progress and lean up before bikinis become mandatory again. Then start a bit earlier the next year so you can spend more of your year focusing on mass gain.
    Haha... yeah! I travel to Tampa often, and I have seen a fair share of "average" folk hanging out at the beach and parks. It's not like South Florida (West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami) which seems to be full of hot people (or at least a bit more fit than average).

And I'm pear-shaped so even at my current stats, I do carry a bit of cellulite in the back of my legs (though not too much), so I know that'd be the first place I'd see it. Also a bit on my lower stomach area, and a tiny bit on my arms.

Damn you Amanda! You make too much sense....

Thank you for the encouragement... I'm motivated to eat now!!
    "The Way Out Is Through"

Digital Bath Explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by digitalbath11 View Post
    Haha... yeah! I travel to Tampa often, and I have seen a fair share of "average" folk hanging out at the beach and parks. It's not like South Florida (West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami) which seems to be full of hot people (or at least a bit more fit than average).

And I'm pear-shaped so even at my current stats, I do carry a bit of cellulite in the back of my legs (though not too much), so I know that'd be the first place I'd see it. Also a bit on my lower stomach area, and a tiny bit on my arms.

Damn you Amanda! You make too much sense....

Thank you for the encouragement... I'm motivated to eat now!!
    If you want to be significantly more developed, it's better to start with bulking/cutting cycles sooner than later. Otherwise next year you're going to look exactly the same...and the year after that you probably will...and the year after that... Then you'll look back and wonder why you spent the last 5 years being wishy washy instead of working toward what you really want. The year you stick to it and make progress you seriously do go, "What the hell took me so long to try this? Do you know where I could be today if I'd have started when it first occurred to me to eat and train this way? Damn it!" The only problem is you may get as addicted to looking and feeling strong as you currently desire to look lean and have a bit of a struggle there.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread already that your gains won't be linear...just don't gain close to 10 solid pounds in any one month and you'll be fine. Remember your weight WILL fluctuate more if you allow for more cheat type food (bloat is not "solid" pounds) so don't freak over that kinda thing. Between TOM and eating Christmas goodies I've gained about "10 pounds" overnight before. It comes off just as easily so don't let stuff like that hold you back.

I hope you DO choose to go for it over the next few months if a more muscular physique is what you desire!

bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bethanyboo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think it's been mentioned in this thread already that your gains won't be linear...just don't gain close to 10 solid pounds in any one month and you'll be fine. Remember your weight WILL fluctuate more if you allow for more cheat type food (bloat is not "solid" pounds) so don't freak over that kinda thing. Between TOM and eating Christmas goodies I've gained about "10 pounds" overnight before. It comes off just as easily so don't let stuff like that hold you back.
    So true! If I have chinese food I will "gain" at least 3 lbs of water weight and then the next day it's gone. Now that I'm allowed more splurges, I'm probably consistently carrying around an extra couple pounds of bloat every day.

Thank you! I think us first-timers want all the advice and help we can get from veteran bulkers without having to make posts about everything.
    I can only speak for myself but I've "searched" all sorts of versions of the word "bulk" on here but still wanna hear from anyone that has GOOD advice to give

carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) carbonelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm following the NROL4W stage 1--almost finished and my question is....how much is considered a bulk vs just getting plain old fat? I haven't followed a structured weight program in forever so the workouts are feeling pretty darn good, getting stronger, looks like more muscle etc...but wondering how much fat will come along for the 'ride'.

Originally Posted by carbonelle View Post
    I'm following the NROL4W stage 1--almost finished and my question is....how much is considered a bulk vs just getting plain old fat? I haven't followed a structured weight program in forever so the workouts are feeling pretty darn good, getting stronger, looks like more muscle etc...but wondering how much fat will come along for the 'ride'.
    I guess that would depend entirely on how many extra calories you are consuming and out of those how many your body is using to build muscle. You can only gain *so* much muscle in a given amount of time so more than likely anything over that is fat. The guideline I was using is no more than 1/2lb per week but I don't go by it literally because of the variations in weight. I keep notes of my average weight every week to watch for a pattern of it moving up *too* fast....but even then I am sure I'll gain some fat.

He girls...something I've been wondering/fretting over and thought maybe one of you would know the answer.
    At what point does your body "switch" from bulk mode to maintaining or cutting? Meaning if you unknowingly burned 2500 calories in a day but only ate 2300 that day. I'm sure your body doesn't tally everything up at 11:59pm and either build muscle or lose fat but how does it work if you eat under what you burn briefly? I have this fear of going out of "bulking mode" by accident and fuking sh*t up. I DON'T want to "spin my wheels"...
    ::leaves to write a note to Santa for a bodybugg::

Originally Posted by brandibopeep View Post
    He girls...something I've been wondering/fretting over and thought maybe one of you would know the answer.
    At what point does your body "switch" from bulk mode to maintaining or cutting? Meaning if you unknowingly burned 2500 calories in a day but only ate 2300 that day. I'm sure your body doesn't tally everything up at 11:59pm and either build muscle or lose fat but how does it work if you eat under what you burn briefly? I have this fear of going out of "bulking mode" by accident and fuking sh*t up. I DON'T want to "spin my wheels"...
    I try not to obsess like this because it can really mess with your mind! I made up my mind on how many calories I should eat a day, and I just stick with it and keep tracking my weight. I will adjust if I stop gaining.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by brandibopeep View Post
    Your body is constantly doing catabolism and anabolism, when you get to the "bulking" phase, you just want to try to increase the rate of anabolism to be more then the rate of catabolism. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat the small stuff and microanalyze your day. Just as eating a billion tiny meals a day to make sure you are constantly "fueling" your body is not necessary, you don't have to worry heaps if you are a bit under one day. I try to look at the average over time. Yes, I try to make sure I stay in a surplus each day, but I concentrate even more to make sure my total week numbers are strongly in a surplus, and past that I check out my monthly numbers and compare to actual bodily results.

Keep in mind that many people bulk very successfully eating the same amount of cals a day, which can mean that on some days they may have a deficit and other days a large surplus. Your body doesn't have a little tank with a gauge on it, or watch the clock and know when a "new day" starts - just keep the trend positive and you will see results.

chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chelly88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    First timer also!

I put on less than 10lbs after my competition (not counting the dry-out week weight loss) and had a hard time maintaining...I maintained but I wasn't eating enough, too low carb, way too much intense cardio, way too much bulk in my lifting program blah blah blah...

About 10 weeks ago I decided to try to add mass in my off-season. I dropped cardio, switched to HST 3x/week and increased my cals to 2000-2200 and was shocked to learn I wasn't gaining. I am now up to a good 2400-2600 daily following intermittent fasting (admittedly not entirely sure of exact daily intakes bc I have days I feel ravenous and I'm very much dealing with emotional eating issues and struggling with old disordered thoughts about food and the mental part of weight gain)... but I'm getting there. I'm up from about 140 to 144, very minimal fat gain but definite increase in muscle (although slight obviously). I have up to 3 day spurts of consuming 3000+ cals/day (usually weekends) so I'm wondering if I'm still not eating enough during the week or if it's mental stuff.

I'm also really struggling with "clean bulking" versus adding and accepting/allowing less healthy options. I feel that I SHOULD be keeping things clean to make my "on-season" diet easier and also just the general irrational fear that if I eat 250 cals worth of cookie versus 250cal of oats will instantly make me fat.

In time
    "The more you tell me I can't do something the more successful I will be at making you look like a fool" - C. Cutting

"There will always be reasons not to do something... will there ever be enough to do it?" C. Cutting

"Waiting for motivation to come to you may work sometimes but the most successful people always go looking for it when it is lacking" C. Cutting

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Your body is constantly doing catabolism and anabolism, when you get to the "bulking" phase, you just want to try to increase the rate of anabolism to be more then the rate of catabolism. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't sweat the small stuff and microanalyze your day. Just as eating a billion tiny meals a day to make sure you are constantly "fueling" your body is not necessary, you don't have to worry heaps if you are a bit under one day. I try to look at the average over time. Yes, I try to make sure I stay in a surplus each day, but I concentrate even more to make sure my total week numbers are strongly in a surplus, and past that I check out my monthly numbers and compare to actual bodily results.

Keep in mind that many people bulk very successfully eating the same amount of cals a day, which can mean that on some days they may have a deficit and other days a large surplus. Your body doesn't have a little tank with a gauge on it, or watch the clock and know when a "new day" starts - just keep the trend positive and you will see results.
    Originally Posted by bethanyboo View Post
    I try not to obsess like this because it can really mess with your mind! I made up my mind on how many calories I should eat a day, and I just stick with it and keep tracking my weight. I will adjust if I stop gaining.
    thank you BOTH....::breathing now::

oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oceanlaura has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First time bulker here too! I have been dieting for so long it is almost inconceivable to me that I actually have to eat over maintenance. I'm so scared to eat those calories that I'm supposed to to build muscle (2500-2600), but I have made up my mind to do this.

I have not been able to get to where I want to be in terms of bodycomp and have been stuck here for so long that I am determined to do something else to achieve my goals. It's so mental tho...

latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, I'm Bulking also . I'm up 10 lbs since I join BB.com . I started skinny fat and decided to Bulk because I wanted some womanly curves.
    Some days I feel like I'm working out just to get fat lol and some day I feel like I'm so close to the body my whole life I've wanting.
    Today I took progress pics and to my surprise my body is finally taking shape. I want share with you guys my progress and what 10 lbs difference makes when bulking.
    Attached Images

latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) latina25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by squeaks77 View Post
    I tried to do my first bulk last fall, but failed. I have a new approach this year. I am no longer tracking calories. I think that's where my mind-fuk came from...seeing the calories. I am eating mostly healthy foods, but eating what I want. I feel fat. My jeans don't fit. I'm short with no waist, so a few lbs bumps me up in pants size. I always feel like all the weight gain is in my stomach. I understand the mechanics now and know what I have to do and the only way for me to do it is to not think about it too much. No over-analyzing this time!
    The same happened to me, my firs attempt to bulk lasted one month. I also carry most of my fat in my belly . This time I say forget the belly and let the rest grow and I'll fix the belly fat when is time to cut.

Something that I notice is the more weight I gain the leaner a look, I don't know if I'm the only one that can see it or this is something that actually happens during a bulk.
    It's like going in stages of looking fat and stages of looking lean, have any of you experienced this?

Originally Posted by latina25 View Post
    Hi, I'm Bulking also . I'm up 10 lbs since I join BB.com . I started skinny fat and decided to Bulk because I wanted some womanly curves.
    Some days I feel like I'm working out just to get fat lol and some day I feel like I'm so close to the body my whole life I've wanting.
    Today I took progress pics and to my surprise my body is finally taking shape. I want share with you guys my progress and what 10 lbs difference makes when bulking.
    Wow, excellent progress!

The same happened to me, my firs attempt to bulk lasted one month. I also carry most of my fat in my belly . This time I say forget the belly and let the rest grow and I'll fix the belly fat when is time to cut.

Something that I notice is the more weight I gain the leaner a look, I don't know if I'm the only one that can see it or this is something that actually happens during a bulk.
    It's like going in stages of looking fat and stages of looking lean, have any of you experienced this?
    I'm still early into my bulk, but I sorta feel the same way. In some ways I feel like I'm starting to get leaner in some places, but I'm not sure if it's all mental perception or not.

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol! This is me, right now! I am trying to slowly bulk and last week I was feeling so lean and curvy and tight! I was so happy! And now today, I feel fat, squishy, and poofy :/ Not a happy camper right now Can't wait until it passes Goodness, I hope it passes
    Team Cookies Give You Superpowers

Current Journal: Adventure Time with Turkey
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170094463&p=1489770341#post1489770341

My Super Awesome SNS log- Lori Battles the Holiday Pudge (Finished):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=140145363&page=2

"She's not overtraining- she just trains stupid" -Kimm4

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Great results! Looks to me like you did a recomp rather than a bulk.

Originally Posted by gobbles23 View Post
    lol! This is me, right now! I am trying to slowly bulk and last week I was feeling so lean and curvy and tight! I was so happy! And now today, I feel fat, squishy, and poofy :/ Not a happy camper right now Can't wait until it passes Goodness, I hope it passes
    Yeah, this happens. Don't sweat it. Even if you stay squishy. It's for a good cause and you can always adjust your cals if it persists for weeks.

I'm up almost 5 pounds in a month. I figure 1/2 of it is pump. I don't have that squishy belly bump yet, but I know it'll eventually show up. And go away quickly when I lean out. What I'm looking forward to most is outgrowing my jeans. I'd like to be in 27's by Christmas