Page 238 of 330 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 248 288 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,140 of 9897
    sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    Regarding the coloured veggies, you might have a problem with nightshades. Interesting article about them here.

As for wheat, my own opinion is that most people are best off avoiding it. I don't have coeliac but I do get bloating and gas if I indulge and if I eat it consistently my joints flare up. Gluten can mess with the intestinal lining, making it more porous and allowing toxins that would otherwise be flushed through to enter the bloodstream. The result is inflammation (hence the achey joints).
    Thanks it was an interesting article to read, especially while I am eating green pepper and salsa . I bought two green peppers and have been eating them since yesterday snacking and as part of meals....not gonna say how I am starting to feel tonight. I will eat the rest and eliminate them and see where it takes me.
    No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying - Tony Robbins

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by chrisateen View Post
    True but for some reason I thought my maintenance calories is around 2000 - 2100 calories a day. I'm 5ft 10 today weight about 164lbs, lift 4x a week, have a desk job (but work in a school so I do move about a bit depending on the day) but use public transport so do go walk about quite a bit in the mornings, evenings and weekend
    Your maintenance is around 2400

chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    I too have a desk job and without working out my maintenance is 1900 to 2000....add lifting and it's 2300.

You are experiencing glycogen stores increasing and the associated water filling of your cells. You aren't really gaining fat nor muscle just yet.
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Your maintenance is around 2400
    No wonder I feel so hungry sometimes (its because I have been eating too little) but in the last few weeks I have been panicking and thinking that I'm going to end up being fat again especially as I was gaining weight quite quickly and was even thinking of starting to do some cardio in the gym to slow down the weight gain. Hopefully in the next week or two my weight settles down and I can know for sure how many calories I should bet eating. I does make me wonder though how on earth do people eat completely healthy on a bulk. If I am maintaining on 2400 I would have to eat nearly 2700 calories in order to gain

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    True but for some reason I thought my maintenance calories is around 2000 - 2100 calories a day. I'm 5ft 10 today weight about 164lbs, lift 4x a week, have a desk job (but work in a school so I do move about a bit depending on the day) but use public transport so do go walk about quite a bit in the mornings, evenings and weekend
    No wonder I feel so hungry sometimes (its because I have been eating too little) but in the last few weeks I have been panicking and thinking that I'm going to end up being fat again especially as I was gaining weight quite quickly and was even thinking of starting to do some cardio in the gym to slow down the weight gain. Hopefully in the next week or two my weight settles down and I can know for sure how many calories I should bet eating. I does make me wonder though how on earth do people eat completely healthy on a bulk. If I am maintaining on 2400 I would have to eat nearly 2700 calories in order to gain
    Depending on how long you've been eating under maintenance it could take awhile for it to become your maintenance. This bulk it might put you at a slight surplus. Only time will tell.

The weight gain you've observed is consistent with water weight gain. One can't eat that many calories for it to be fat. Think 3500x6. That's a hell of a lot of calories!

What's healthy? Increasing fat can help with calories. You can bake up some cookies, muffins, cakes, etc which will not be loaded with a bunch of processed ingredients.

Cardio isn't a fat loss solver. It takes hours and weeks just to account for a 1 pound loss.

Keep going. Focus on gym results rather than scale results.

occasional visitor stephanielynn76's Avatar
    stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm with your coach. PHAT done right, and naturally, can only be run 6-8 weeks. Then you have to move to a different routine. Do a deload, then move to a different routine. It can still be high volume but shouldn't involve lower rep, cns taxing reps. Later on, in a couple of months, you can run PHAT again.
    I am strongly considering it. I will talk to her about it! Part of my situation is complicated by the fact that I struggle with insomnia AND I work night shift periodically and don't sleep very well at all during the day. I have the insomnia even at night... during the day it's horrible. I will often get up at 6am... be up all day... go to work that night for 12 hrs... come home and only sleep 3-4 hours... then go back to work for another shift. It is MISERABLE. Add CNS overload to that equation and I'm a total mess. I am currently hooked on NyQuil. I have trouble staying asleep even when I take it... but when I don't I don't sleep hardly at all. I can FALL asleep fine. I just don't STAY asleep. You don't know how important sleep is until you aren't getting any! This isn't new... it's been an ongoing problem. It has, however, been WORSE since I started this very intense training program. On a positive note... I slept 10hrs last night and 9hrs the night before. I needed it. Even after that, however, I still don't feel quite invigorated yet.

chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisateen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Depending on how long you've been eating under maintenance it could take awhile for it to become your maintenance. This bulk it might put you at a slight surplus. Only time will tell.

The weight gain you've observed is consistent with water weight gain. One can't eat that many calories for it to be fat. Think 3500x6. That's a hell of a lot of calories!

What's healthy? Increasing fat can help with calories. You can bake up some cookies, muffins, cakes, etc which will not be loaded with a bunch of processed ingredients.

Cardio isn't a fat loss solver. It takes hours and weeks just to account for a 1 pound loss.

Keep going. Focus on gym results rather than scale results.
    Thanks for the advice (I think I just need to stop worrying)

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    And even then you have to assume it doesn't mess with your hunger. Me, I increase cardio on a bulk because it makes me so hungry that I overcompensate for the calories it burns. You hear all the time about marathon runners putting on weight during training for this exact reason. Right now I'm on a bulk break (like a diet break, you know?) and I've cut way back on cardio, so my appetite has diminished to the point where I have to make a conscious effort to eat!

Cardio is a rubbish way to control a calorie deficit or surplus, compared to diet.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sglgirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    Cardio is a rubbish way to control a calorie deficit or surplus, compared to diet.
    thumbs up!
    No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow you progress, you are still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying - Tony Robbins

locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're bored, look at this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149550203 (if it's not deleted yet)

wtf at the responses, LOL!!!!
    try and try until you die

current >>>>goal
    S: 165>>>>185
    B: 95>>>>135 (lol)
    D: 235>>>315

stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) stephanielynn76 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by locolala View Post
    If you're bored, look at this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=149550203 (if it's not deleted yet)

oh... her again.

locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50) locolala will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah I know but tbh she's made decent gains IMO

I'm just shaking my head at other people's perspective towards women bulking.
    try and try until you die

current >>>>goal
    S: 165>>>>185
    B: 95>>>>135 (lol)
    D: 235>>>315

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by stephanielynn76 View Post
    oh... her again.
    Hahahah!!!! I thought it was her at first. After reading through, it was confirmed. I am glad that she seemed to take some advice and up her calories. It looks like she made some decent gains, but she's got issues, that one. And I'm finding it pretty hard to believe she's got a 200lb deadlift.

I did get a chuckle out of some of the guys saying they've never heard of a woman bulking......but it's the MISC. Half of them probably don't even lift themselves.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

liftette has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    Hahahah!!!! I thought it was her at first. After reading through, it was confirmed. I am glad that she seemed to take some advice and up her calories. It looks like she made some decent gains, but she's got issues, that one. And I'm finding it pretty hard to believe she's got a 200lb deadlift.

I did get a chuckle out of some of the guys saying they've never heard of a woman bulking......but it's the MISC. Half of them probably don't even lift themselves.
    Lots of trashy people on that thread.

tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah i was shocked by the 200lb's too!

I hate this connection the world seems to have with women having to always be on a diet and skinny. People need to appreciate how hot muscle can be!

Originally Posted by locolala View Post

That's what we call a "Look at me!" thread.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by tahinilove View Post

I hate this connection the world seems to have with women having to always be on a diet and skinny. People need to appreciate how hot muscle can be!
    Truth!!!
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Registered User coconuttree2009's Avatar
    coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tahinilove View Post

Why are you girls shocked by 200 lbs dead lift? That is just under 100kg...

Originally Posted by coconuttree2009 View Post
    Not shocked, but I bet it's not for reps. I doubt her squats are atg full rom for reps either.

Because of her posting history under her multiple accounts. I wouldn't have thought she'd have it in her.

But I guess that leads me to a question. Is 200 pounds not really so heavy? The most I've ever attempted is 170; I'm not sure if I could get 200, maybe once, definitely not for reps. I know heavy is relative, though,so this might be a stupid question. I do want to make sure I'm pushing myself hard enough.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Because of her posting history under her multiple accounts. I wouldn't have thought she'd have it in her.

But I guess that leads me to a question. Is 200 pounds not really so heavy? The most I've ever attempted is 170; I'm not sure if I could get 200, maybe once, definitely not for reps. I know heavy is relative, though,so this might be a stupid question. I do want to make sure I'm pushing myself hard enough.
    I've only ever gotten 200lbs for 2 reps... so yeah... I would be shocked. Of course, I'm a bit disadvantaged by my height due to the fact that I have to move the weight a further distance then someone much shorter... at least that's my excuse. :P However, every time women on here start talking about stats I end up feeling like a weakling. I find this interesting because the enormous gym I've been a member of for over 11 years now has many many women members yet I rarely see women there lifting more than I do. Where are all these super strong women? 99% of the women there look at me as if I'm some kinda she-beast... and I ain't all that big or strong.

Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000) Klee82793 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I have posted, but I have been lurking and working on my slow bulk! The past couple of months I have been running PHAT (well, to the best of my ability), but I am beginning to think that I would be better off with more of a beginner/intermediate routine. Mentally, I am stuck in a rut that volume=success, but I am ready to set that aside and try a program that will help me make the most of my beginning gains. I have been looking at all pro's intermediate programs and I am thinking about either doing number 1 or number 2. I looked at the all pro programs when I first started bulking, but I ended up trying to start too advanced of a program too soon (definitely wishing that I wouldn't have.. but it's too late for that!). Has anyone tried either one of these programs?

I posted some updated photos as well. It's hard to bulk properly because I am away at school and counting macros is hard in the cafeteria. I am doing my best, but eating enough when most of what I am offered is cheeseburgers and pizza isn't always the easiest! It seems like you girls are all doing great! I love to read all of your updates and learn from your experiences since I am a first time bulker. Any advice/suggestions that you have to give are always appreciated!

coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000) coconuttree2009 is just really nice. (+1000)

I don't think her 200lbs is for reps either, people normally post up ther 1 rep max.
    What is heavy for some may not be that heavy for others. I bet you have 200lbs in you too, especially on the bulk.
    I think it's a mental thing for girls. We tend to look at the load and think that we would not be able to move it. I bet if we did not know what the weight is on the bar we all would lift heavier.
    I remember my first time in Vegas Golds - London gyms use kgs so I did not have much clue what would it be in lbs. My mate loaded up the bar and I squeezed out 4 reps. Later on I've done the calculations - there were 200lbs plus the bar where in UK I never touch anything over 180lbs.

Originally Posted by Klee82793 View Post
    Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I have posted, but I have been lurking and working on my slow bulk! The past couple of months I have been running PHAT (well, to the best of my ability), but I am beginning to think that I would be better off with more of a beginner/intermediate routine. Mentally, I am stuck in a rut that volume=success, but I am ready to set that aside and try a program that will help me make the most of my beginning gains. I have been looking at all pro's intermediate programs and I am thinking about either doing number 1 or number 2. I looked at the all pro programs when I first started bulking, but I ended up trying to start too advanced of a program too soon (definitely wishing that I wouldn't have.. but it's too late for that!). Has anyone tried either one of these programs?

I posted some updated photos as well. It's hard to bulk properly because I am away at school and counting macros is hard in the cafeteria. I am doing my best, but eating enough when most of what I am offered is cheeseburgers and pizza isn't always the easiest! It seems like you girls are all doing great! I love to read all of your updates and learn from your experiences since I am a first time bulker. Any advice/suggestions that you have to give are always appreciated!
    I think All Pro's routines are a good choice. Try it out. You can always change to something else later if you decide you don't like it.

Don't worry about macros. At the dining hall just aim for the meat and fish. A hamburger isn't that bad a deal nor is the occasional pizza. They should have fruit and veggies available. You could also get some whey protein to supplement.

Originally Posted by stephanielynn76 View Post
    I've only ever gotten 200lbs for 2 reps... so yeah... I would be shocked. Of course, I'm a bit disadvantaged by my height due to the fact that I have to move the weight a further distance then someone much shorter... at least that's my excuse. :P However, every time women on here start talking about stats I end up feeling like a weakling. I find this interesting because the enormous gym I've been a member of for over 11 years now has many many women members yet I rarely see women there lifting more than I do. Where are all these super strong women? 99% of the women there look at me as if I'm some kinda she-beast... and I ain't all that big or strong.
    I'd think height definitely has something to do with it. I do sometimes see people standing on a step platform. I've never asked the reason for it, but I think logically they are trying to increase the distance they have to pull = more challenging.

I don't know where all the strong women are - because they sure ain't at my gym! I've gone to Bally's and now LA Fitness so they are much more commercial-type places but for all the years I went to Bally's and for the few months at LA, I have rarely seen a woman lifting remotely heavy weight. And there is a pro bodybuilder at LA. She has a lot of definition and actually looks I don't want to say skinny and no woman is ever big but she looks very thin to me. And I have never seen her lifting heavy - mostly it seems like she's on the step mill or I see her doing one leg hyperextensions holding a weight that I don't know the poundage of, but it's not like it's some huge dumbbell or anything. I'm not sure if she's just maintaining right now, approaching a show or what and I don't see her all the time so it's possible her workouts are more intense on other days that I don't witness. There is another woman who goes pretty hard - she looks like maybe she competed at one time but not anymore and I don't want to interrupt her workout. I about died one morning when I saw a slightly older woman actually doing free bar squats and then she was benching - that's how infrequently I see a woman really lifting. I mean, it wasn't like she had a lot of weight on there but for an older lady, I was impressed.

I don't think her 200lbs is for reps either, people normally post up ther 1 rep max.
    What is heavy for some may not be that heavy for others. I bet you have 200lbs in you too, especially on the bulk.
    I think it's a mental thing for girls. We tend to look at the load and think that we would not be able to move it. I bet if we did not know what the weight is on the bar we all would lift heavier.
    I remember my first time in Vegas Golds - London gyms use kgs so I did not have much clue what would it be in lbs. My mate loaded up the bar and I squeezed out 4 reps. Later on I've done the calculations - there were 200lbs plus the bar where in UK I never touch anything over 180lbs.
    You know, I'm sure you are right. I hit the 170 while cutting. I'm sure I can probably do a lot more than that while bulking. Hopefully I will work up to it I've mentioned recently having that psychological/mental block so it's just probably a matter of pushing through. And I do think I'd do a lot more if I didn't know how much was on there. If I ever work out with a friend of mine again, I'll have to tell him to do that. It's a good way to test my strength.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

You know, I'm sure you are right. I hit the 170 while cutting. I'm sure I can probably do a lot more than that while bulking. Hopefully I will work up to it I've mentioned recently having that psychological/mental block so it's just probably a matter of pushing through. And I do think I'd do a lot more if I didn't know how much was on there. If I ever work out with a friend of mine again, I'll have to tell him to do that. It's a good way to test my strength.
    I totally believe that 99% of girls would lift more if they did not know the weight. Definitely give it a go.
    I had another example on hack squat machine where my mate covered the pin and I could not see what weight it was - I only managed 1 rep and thought I would pass out - he uncovered 240kg (530lbs). I could not believe my eyes. By myself I was stuck at 180kg (397lbs).

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I totally believe that 99% of girls would lift more if they did not know the weight. Definitely give it a go.
    I had another example on hack squat machine where my mate covered the pin and I could not see what weight it was - I only managed 1 rep and thought I would pass out - he uncovered 240kg (530lbs). I could not believe my eyes. By myself I was stuck at 180kg (397lbs).
    Amen to that. Yesterday was legs day. I upped all my weights on squats, lunges etc and was feeling proud. Then I saw the leg press machine, jumped on and banged out 40 reps in a single set at 66kg. Then I went for a run. Then I realised I'm not working hard enough.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155881453

I'd think height definitely has something to do with it. I do sometimes see people standing on a step platform. I've never asked the reason for it, but I think logically they are trying to increase the distance they have to pull = more challenging.

I don't know where all the strong women are - because they sure ain't at my gym! I've gone to Bally's and now LA Fitness so they are much more commercial-type places but for all the years I went to Bally's and for the few months at LA, I have rarely seen a woman lifting remotely heavy weight. And there is a pro bodybuilder at LA. She has a lot of definition and actually looks I don't want to say skinny and no woman is ever big but she looks very thin to me. And I have never seen her lifting heavy - mostly it seems like she's on the step mill or I see her doing one leg hyperextensions holding a weight that I don't know the poundage of, but it's not like it's some huge dumbbell or anything. I'm not sure if she's just maintaining right now, approaching a show or what and I don't see her all the time so it's possible her workouts are more intense on other days that I don't witness. There is another woman who goes pretty hard - she looks like maybe she competed at one time but not anymore and I don't want to interrupt her workout. I about died one morning when I saw a slightly older woman actually doing free bar squats and then she was benching - that's how infrequently I see a woman really lifting. I mean, it wasn't like she had a lot of weight on there but for an older lady, I was impressed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering where all the strong chicks are! LOL

While I agree that it's quite possible that some women could be lifting more than they are... I don't think that's true for me. I have been lifting so heavy and hard that I've taxed my CNS into forced breaks twice so far since August. I have pushed until I can't physically push anymore. I was supposed to be on deload with no training at all but went today anyways against my coach's advise. So stupid. I should have listened to her. I'm not going at all tomorrow and on Wednesday I will train WITH her and sit down with her to discuss a new routine that is much lower in volume than PHAT. I am determined to grow and I need to just get over myself and my tendency to be hardheaded. After 4 full days off (no training or cardio) I was feeling like a total blob and having trouble coping with the gains. As long as I'm in the gym and lifting I can justify the extra calories and the pudginess. I get a great boost from the strength gains and the pump. When I'm just sitting at home on forced deload I have a much harder time mentally coping with the bulk. I need to just suck it up and accept the chub whether I'm training or resting. Last I weighed myself, I was 144lbs!!!! That is 19lbs up from my show weight. I was a bit mortified. I am hoping this bulk doesn't become a fulk! Even so, I refuse to drop calories and miss my chance to add some mass during this off season.

kirst3101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello all!

I too am on a bulk for the first time. I started out at 135lbs, cleaning up my diet and taking my training more seriously I managed to get down to around 115lbs, but then the weight was still coming off me, the lowest I got down to (not intentionally) was 109.8lbs. I'm 5'2". I have been absolutely shocked at how many calories I need just to maintain my weight.

I ended up going to a nutritionist and it was definitely worth it. I too was afraid of the numbers on the scale going up, since I had worked so hard to lose the weight in the first place, and I think I was overestimating my calories too. Right now it's been about 6-8 weeks and I've gone from just under 112 up to about 114. Again like most women my weight does fluctuate monthly. I got measured with calipers and although my weight has gone up my BF% has actually decreased slightly, which is pretty much awesome, still can't quite believe it.

I think I was getting too caught up in how much I "should" be eating, like when you look at a package of food and it says the RDA for women is 2000 calories and I'd be thinking "**** I eat WAY more than that", but as the nutritionist pointed out, 2000 calories might be fine for someone who is 40 and works a desk job. I am an RN, so I am on my feet for 12 hours a day, I walk my dog 2-3 times a day, currently strength training 4 days a week, with a HIIT session after one of those, and I take a one hour Muay Thai class. So basically 2 cardio sessions. To say I am always on the go is an understatement!

Not entirely sure what my maintenance is, but I reckon it's around 2500, so I guess for bulking I should be eating around 2700-2800. There are still some days where I find myself holding back, even though I'm hungry, which is bad bad bad. Old habits die hard though I guess. Reading back through this thread has been really helpful too.

Good luck to everyone else on their bulk! On that note I am off to eat something, as the hunger pangs are starting again!

Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chocopie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i'm super pumped about my strength lately, I only started lifting heavy in march and this is my first real bulk to muscle gain. So far deadlifts are my best, 175lbsx5 (i'm going for 180lbs this friday!) Squats are okay, 140lbsx3 and my bench is just bleh 75x5. My bulk has really boosted my strength, its pretty exciting.

tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tahinilove is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So - i was wondering how come i was gaining on so low calories (2100). I decided to start weighing everything out rather than guestimating. Turns out what i thought was a tablespoon of nut butter (15g) i was actually having around 35g!! I have tahini/cashewbutter/almondbutter around 6 times a day so no wonder! I was probably eating around 2700 cals a day! Since actually following my right calories, adding more carb I'm maintaining, possibly slowly loosing on 2400! Great thing is i'm eating more carbs than ever before & my muscle and energy are so benefitting! I used to have carbphobia - no more!

Page 238 of 330 FirstFirst ... 138 188 228 236 237 238 239 240 248 288 ... LastLast