Page 267 of 330 FirstFirst ... 167 217 257 265 266 267 268 269 277 317 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 8,010 of 9897
    LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LHarwood is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tara19 View Post
    Sitting at 2200 I wish 3000
    I feel your pain Tara haha.

Will this amount of cals be the rough amount need for future bulks or does your body need more the more LBM you have?

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LHarwood View Post

Will this amount of cals be the rough amount need for future bulks or does your body need more the more LBM you have?
    Not much more. Unusually high calorie intakes comes from medical conditions, unusually high activity levels, and calorie miscalculations.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LHarwood View Post

Cross fingers that I'm one of the lucky ones who has to increase to gain muscle

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Not much more. Unusually high calorie intakes comes from medical conditions, unusually high activity levels, and calorie miscalculations.
    TBH I do find it a bit frustrating that high calorie intakes need to be 'blamed' on certain things...it's almost as if people can't accept the fact that they simply eat more than others. And I'm the first one that's guilty of that. I upped my cals and the scale didn't move. So I started to think something was wrong with me and that maybe I had some sort of condition going on that I could blame my lack of weight gain on. I had blood tests done that show I'm healthy. I only lift 4 days a week and play one game of squash a week. I've double and triple checked the MFP app math and I weigh everything or use measuring cups/spoons to avoid miscalculations. The Dr's response when I asked her why I eat so much was pretty much 'I don't know what to tell you.' Uh, thanks.

I've learned that it's most likely me that's to 'blame'. If the scale isn't going up, then it's my fault for not eating enough to make it do so. Until I consistently eat enough and increase when I stall, I will keep spinning my wheels. This was my day today.

Naturegg - Egg Whites, 1/2 cup
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 3 large
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup
    Onion - Green Onion, Fresh, Raw, 2 stalk
    Mushrooms - Raw, 3 medium
    Avocados - Raw, 85 g
    Cheese - Gorgonzola, 30 g

Mid morning
    Neilson - Cottage Cheese 2%, 1/2 cup (125 ml)
    Generic - Walnuts 32g

Lunch
    Tru Roots Organic - Quinoa - 100% Whole Grain (Canada), 1 cup cooked
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup
    Mastro - Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Cold Pressed), 1 Tbsp (15ml)
    Eggs - Whole, raw, 2 large
    Almond Milk Unsweetened - Blue Diamond Almond Breeze , 1 cup
    Pc Blue Menu - Just Almonds Crunch Almond Butter, 1 tbsp
    Lindt - Excellence 90% Cacao Dark Chocolate, 1 square

Mid Afternoon
    Miss Vickie's Potato Chips - Jalapeno Flavour, 28 Chips (50g)
    Skotidakis - JalapeñO Greek Yogurt Dip-Probiotic, 3 Tbsp
    No Name (Superstore) - Rice Crackers - Sesame, 8 crackers

Dinner
    Hung Wang Foods - Japanese Udon Noodles, 250 g
    Unisoya - Tofu - 179 g
    Miso paste- 1 tbsp

Evening
    Presidents Choice - Mini Assorted Biscotti, 3 Biscottis
    Melona - Banana Flavored Ice Bar, 1 bar
    Avocados - Raw, 108 g
    Kirkland Signature - Light Maple Syrup, 1 tbsp
    Frye's - Cocoa, 1 Tbsp
    Vanilla-1tsp

Totals are: cals: 3,327 C:291 F:173 P:156

This is pretty typical for a non workout day. Gym days are much higher in carbs. Today's dinner was a bit lazy too. And yes I ate some **** like cookies and chips and chocolate, etc. Heck, as long as my mins are met for protein and fat, anything's game, right? What scares me is that maybe when I try to cut later on that it's gonna be just as frustrating. Who knows, maybe I'll have to cut at a drastically low level and will be walking around homicidal all the time.
    Last edited by schnauzers; 04-17-2013 at 08:40 PM.

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    Schnauzers, how come your requirements are so high? I also was bulking on 3000+ for a while...hell I am meant to be trying a slight cut right now but still over 2500 every day...
    Sorry...I missed this earlier. Honestly, I have no effing clue. I've done the cals and posted questions about them and the usual advice I get when I say that I eat over 20% above my supposed maintenance is 'The cals are just guidelines, if the scale doesn't go up then just eat more. It's that simple.' So I did that--I increased more. I asked my Dr about it and she says she doesn't think anything is wrong, my blood tests are fine, and why do I want to gain weight when I'm in a 'normal' range blah blah blah. Then again, she's *just* a GP so maybe I need to press the issue a bit more? I dunno....I think I just have to try harder rather than going looking for a problem that might not even exist.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Sorry...I missed this earlier. Honestly, I have no effing clue. I've done the cals and posted questions about them and the usual advice I get when I say that I eat over 20% above my supposed maintenance is 'The cals are just guidelines, if the scale doesn't go up then just eat more. It's that simple.' So I did that--I increased more. I asked my Dr about it and she says she doesn't think anything is wrong, my blood tests are fine, and why do I want to gain weight when I'm in a 'normal' range blah blah blah. Then again, she's *just* a GP so maybe I need to press the issue a bit more? I dunno....I think I just have to try harder rather than going looking for a problem that might not even exist.
    Yeah, I feel ya. When I tried to eat 2000 cals initially I felt like I was going to die from hunger. Waking up in the night with cramping from the hunger pains! I know why I need a lot of cals but still require more than the maths would suggest even taking into account all my activity levels. In the end there are SO MANY factors affecting calorie needs that we can't measure (even how efficiently we walk, or how much housework we do) that it's pointless trying to figure it out and like you said, best to just keep eating til we get the results.

ETA: I should say, my body has always been very good at maintaining its weight even if I starved myself or gorged on food 24/7. It is reluctant to gain or lose weight. Hence why I ended up bulking for over a year. Maybe you are also someone with a really adaptable metabolism.
    Last edited by happyplace; 04-17-2013 at 11:08 PM.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    TBH I do find it a bit frustrating that high calorie intakes need to be 'blamed' on certain things...it's almost as if people can't accept the fact that they simply eat more than others. And I'm the first one that's guilty of that. I upped my cals and the scale didn't move. So I started to think something was wrong with me and that maybe I had some sort of condition going on that I could blame my lack of weight gain on. I had blood tests done that show I'm healthy. I only lift 4 days a week and play one game of squash a week. I've double and triple checked the MFP app math and I weigh everything or use measuring cups/spoons to avoid miscalculations. The Dr's response when I asked her why I eat so much was pretty much 'I don't know what to tell you.' Uh, thanks.

I've learned that it's most likely me that's to 'blame'. If the scale isn't going up, then it's my fault for not eating enough to make it do so. Until I consistently eat enough and increase when I stall, I will keep spinning my wheels. This was my day today.

Avocados - Raw, 85 g

Mid morning
    Generic - Walnuts 32g

Lunch
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup

Mid Afternoon

Dinner
    Unisoya - Tofu - 179 g
    Miso paste- 1 tbsp

Evening
    Avocados - Raw, 108 g
    Frye's - Cocoa, 1 Tbsp
    Vanilla-1tsp

This is pretty typical for a non workout day. Gym days are much higher in carbs. Today's dinner was a bit lazy too. And yes I ate some **** like cookies and chips and chocolate, etc. Heck, as long as my mins are met for protein and fat, anything's game, right? What scares me is that maybe when I try to cut later on that it's gonna be just as frustrating. Who knows, maybe I'll have to cut at a drastically low level and will be walking around homicidal all the time.
    It's not magic. There are reasons for all caloric intake needs. Those who think they're special outliners aren't. Some find after wearing devices like the bodymedia that they move a lot more than they thought they did. Some have underlying medical conditions they weren't aware of or they weren't aware their condition would affect them in such a way. As long as you feel good and your doc is happy it's curious, but the reason really doesn't matter in this context. Just eat more.

Yes you can eat cookies and chocolate. You can do that at maintenance and while leaning out. Like you said, once your nutritional needs are met eat whatever. I don't know why you think you'd have to drastically cut calories to lean out. You only have to cut 250-500 calories.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Avocados - Raw, 85 g

Mid morning
    Generic - Walnuts 32g

Lunch
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup

Mid Afternoon

Dinner
    Unisoya - Tofu - 179 g
    Miso paste- 1 tbsp

Evening
    Avocados - Raw, 108 g
    Frye's - Cocoa, 1 Tbsp
    Vanilla-1tsp

I don't know, but that does not look like 3300 calories to me at first glance...maybe I'll take time and check the numbers to see of I come up with what you get. Seems very low on protein too.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

I didn't post the calorie and macro break down from MFP because it made the post look stupid. But I cut and pasted the rest. For yesterday I didn't double check the math yet because I posted it late and went to bed. Maybe I should start from scratch and try a different meal tracking app but I think loads of people use MFP successfully.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500) happyplace is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    More importantly, why are you eating 'light' maple syrup if you need 3k+ cals? Making things more difficult and expensive...

I didn't post the calorie and macro break down from MFP because it made the post look stupid. But I cut and pasted the rest. For yesterday I didn't double check the math yet because I posted it late and went to bed. Maybe I should start from scratch and try a different meal tracking app but I think loads of people use MFP successfully.
    Ran a quick check and your menu came to 2700 calories with 112g protein. I did not bother with spinach, onions, or mushrooms. I'm guessing cooked versus uncooked quinoa may be throwing your numbers off.

I don't have your height and age, but a 5'5", 30 year old woman would maintain between 2100 and 2200.

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    first time bulker...5 weeks in and loving the lifts cant wait for another 6 months of this!
    "Train beyond the pain and death is your only release"-Steve Michalik-Mr. America"

Born Raw Clothing promoter http://www.bornrawclothing.com/ use my code JA10 to get 10% off your order! Free world wide shipping.

Nutrabolics hemotropin review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154415661&p=1080490121#post1080490121
    Nutrabolics thermo XTC review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156218933&p=1118528093#post1118528093

blog website: http://fat2figure.weebly.com/

MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't have your height and age, but a 5'5", 30 year old woman would maintain between 2100 and 2200.
    The math has always been difficult for me. I finally made it up to 2,200 calories this past week (slow increase from cutting at around 1,600). I lost a pound the first week, was level last week, and as of this morning it appears I'm up 2 pounds, though today is not my "official" weekly weigh in day. WTF is what I'm thinking. Yes, my cals fluctuate between 2k and 2,300 because I don't eat exactly the same thing every day, but not more than that. I honestly thought I was going to have to get up to at least 2,500 to see any muscle gains. Strength has been increasing remakably! I'll wait until Saturday to pass final judgement, but these numbers just don't add up for me. I'm 5'10" and I would say I'm starting this bulk with a fair amount of muscle mass (I'm not new to weight lifting, and I've been an athlete most of my life). I know weight loss/gain is not linear, but it's frustrating because I don't know what to change based on what I'm seeing. If the scale on Sat morning does confirm I'm up 2 pounds, do I just continue to stay at 2,200 for another few weeks and see what happens? I was not losing at 1,600 calories (stalled out after 12 weeks), so I find it quite hard to believe that I could truly bulk at 2,200. To bulk, I calculated a minimum need of 2,500 cals split P-175, C-227, F-36...roughly...varied a bit based on which calculation model I used. Based on my calcs, I'm hitting my macros sticking to egg whites, oatmeal, chicken breast (and other lean meats), avocado, tons of veggies, and a protein shake. Really just seems very odd....

Originally Posted by MrsBru View Post
    The math has always been difficult for me. I finally made it up to 2,200 calories this past week (slow increase from cutting at around 1,600). I lost a pound the first week, was level last week, and as of this morning it appears I'm up 2 pounds, though today is not my "official" weekly weigh in day. WTF is what I'm thinking. Yes, my cals fluctuate between 2k and 2,300 because I don't eat exactly the same thing every day, but not more than that. I honestly thought I was going to have to get up to at least 2,500 to see any muscle gains. Strength has been increasing remakably! I'll wait until Saturday to pass final judgement, but these numbers just don't add up for me. I'm 5'10" and I would say I'm starting this bulk with a fair amount of muscle mass (I'm not new to weight lifting, and I've been an athlete most of my life). I know weight loss/gain is not linear, but it's frustrating because I don't know what to change based on what I'm seeing. If the scale on Sat morning does confirm I'm up 2 pounds, do I just continue to stay at 2,200 for another few weeks and see what happens? I was not losing at 1,600 calories (stalled out after 12 weeks), so I find it quite hard to believe that I could truly bulk at 2,200. To bulk, I calculated a minimum need of 2,500 cals split P-175, C-227, F-36...roughly...varied a bit based on which calculation model I used. Based on my calcs, I'm hitting my macros sticking to egg whites, oatmeal, chicken breast (and other lean meats), avocado, tons of veggies, and a protein shake. Really just seems very odd....
    You can't go by week to week numbers. There's entirely too much fluctuation in scale weight. Hormones, carbs, muscle pump, etc can drive the scale but have zip to do with actual gains or losses. You have to look for trends over many weeks.

My daughter has been trying to lose weight by eating better. And has been successful. This morning she texted me that she was up 4 pounds and needed to do something. I happen to know that her time of the month is very near plus she traveled over the weekend and probably ate more carb loaded foods. You don't gain pounds of fat without the supporting calories. It's water!!!

MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrsBru will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can't go by week to week numbers. There's entirely too much fluctuation in scale weight. Hormones, carbs, muscle pump, etc can drive the scale but have zip to do with actual gains or losses. You have to look for trends over many weeks.

My daughter has been trying to lose weight by eating better. And has been successful. This morning she texted me that she was up 4 pounds and needed to do something. I happen to know that her time of the month is very near plus she traveled over the weekend and probably ate more carb loaded foods. You don't gain pounds of fat without the supporting calories. It's water!!!
    Thanks, I just don't want to screw this up this time! I've made a lot of mistakes in the past several years and truly do want to finally reach my goals. I do fluctuate a lot from water, I get a great deal of abdominal bloat during the week after certain workouts/foods. Sat night is my cheat meal, so I always wait a full week after before I weigh in. Sounds like I should stick to the 2,200 for a few more weeks to truly see what the trend on the scale is before I adjust anything else? My clothes don't seem to fit any different after 3 weeks, no noticable differences with what I see muscle wise (though I do seem to be getting better pumps from certain workouts), and I'm still making solid weight gains on all of my lifts.

Maybe my real question is how do you know when you need to adjust something, or try something new? Sounds like if you stall on lift gains, if you're feeling fatigued and not recovering from workouts quickly, and THEN if the scale hasn't moved in several weeks to bump cals up then? Very concerned about the fat I'm going to gain, and I know I shouldn't me...I'm going to gain it....period. I think I lack the confidence that some of you have that you will simply strip the fat off after the bulk is over. I've never been successful cutting down to a level I felt was acceptable (never seem to be able to get below 24%), and I think that feeds my apprehension that I'm going to end up back at 170 pounds, 30% BF and not be able to take it back off.

Originally Posted by happyplace View Post
    More importantly, why are you eating 'light' maple syrup if you need 3k+ cals? Making things more difficult and expensive...
    Light refers to the colour grading/translucense of maple syrup in Canada, it's not a reference to it being light in calories.

Ran a quick check and your menu came to 2700 calories with 112g protein. I did not bother with spinach, onions, or mushrooms. I'm guessing cooked versus uncooked quinoa may be throwing your numbers off.

I'm 5' 7.5 and 33 years old. Where did you check the foods because I'd be curious to double check everything against MFP to see where MFP might be doing me wrong. For the quinoa, I use Tru Roots and 1/4 cup raw makes 1/2 cooked. I ate 1 cup cooked which is 1/2 cup raw. On the package it states that each 1/4 cup (raw, which is 1/2 cup cooked) is 170 cals, 3 g fat, 30 g carbs and 5 grams protein....so double that is 340cals, 6g fat, 60g carbs and 10 grams protein which is exactly what MFP says. I've also double checked that the raw amount actually doubles in volume and it does.

On a positive note....the scale was finally up a bit this morning. Mind you, that was before my ****, shower and shave routine so we'll see...lol.
    Last edited by schnauzers; 04-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Originally Posted by wannabefit69 View Post
    first time bulker...5 weeks in and loving the lifts cant wait for another 6 months of this!
    I love the Black Milk leggings in your avatar! I have a few pairs myself

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I love the Black Milk leggings in your avatar! I have a few pairs myself
    their not black milk actually i promote for a company who brought em in..paid half the price but their soo comfy! thank you
    "Train beyond the pain and death is your only release"-Steve Michalik-Mr. America"

Born Raw Clothing promoter http://www.bornrawclothing.com/ use my code JA10 to get 10% off your order! Free world wide shipping.

Nutrabolics hemotropin review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154415661&p=1080490121#post1080490121
    Nutrabolics thermo XTC review: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156218933&p=1118528093#post1118528093

their not black milk actually i promote for a company who brought em in..paid half the price but their soo comfy! thank you
    Oh wow they're certainly a good knock off of BM's 'Muscles' leggings which are now discontinued.

Oh wow they're certainly a good knock off of BM's 'Muscles' leggings which are now discontinued.
    when did they get dicontinued? before Born Raw brought these out i was looking at them...not long ago

when did they get dicontinued? before Born Raw brought these out i was looking at them...not long ago
    Not too sure....last time I checked their website it said that they're no longer making them. Maybe they just offer them at limited times of the year.

Thanks, I just don't want to screw this up this time! I've made a lot of mistakes in the past several years and truly do want to finally reach my goals. I do fluctuate a lot from water, I get a great deal of abdominal bloat during the week after certain workouts/foods. Sat night is my cheat meal, so I always wait a full week after before I weigh in. Sounds like I should stick to the 2,200 for a few more weeks to truly see what the trend on the scale is before I adjust anything else? My clothes don't seem to fit any different after 3 weeks, no noticable differences with what I see muscle wise (though I do seem to be getting better pumps from certain workouts), and I'm still making solid weight gains on all of my lifts.

Maybe my real question is how do you know when you need to adjust something, or try something new? Sounds like if you stall on lift gains, if you're feeling fatigued and not recovering from workouts quickly, and THEN if the scale hasn't moved in several weeks to bump cals up then? Very concerned about the fat I'm going to gain, and I know I shouldn't me...I'm going to gain it....period. I think I lack the confidence that some of you have that you will simply strip the fat off after the bulk is over. I've never been successful cutting down to a level I felt was acceptable (never seem to be able to get below 24%), and I think that feeds my apprehension that I'm going to end up back at 170 pounds, 30% BF and not be able to take it back off.
    You change your intake if the scale stops moving up over several weeks. You may change the composition of your diet as well as your workout routine when your lifts stall/fatigued/poor recovery. Give yourself a couple of more weeks, see how the scale behaves, then re-evaluate. You cannot micromanage this process.

Light refers to the colour grading/translucense of maple syrup in Canada, it's not a reference to it being light in calories.

I'm 5' 7.5 and 33 years old. Where did you check the foods because I'd be curious to double check everything against MFP to see where MFP might be doing me wrong. For the quinoa, I use Tru Roots and 1/4 cup raw makes 1/2 cooked. I ate 1 cup cooked which is 1/2 cup raw. On the package it states that each 1/4 cup (raw, which is 1/2 cup cooked) is 170 cals, 3 g fat, 30 g carbs and 5 grams protein....so double that is 340cals, 6g fat, 60g carbs and 10 grams protein which is exactly what MFP says. I've also double checked that the raw amount actually doubles in volume and it does.

On a positive note....the scale was finally up a bit this morning. Mind you, that was before my ****, shower and shave routine so we'll see...lol.
    For quinoa, the conversion from dry to cooked is x3, not x2. A cup of cooked quinoa is around 222 calories. I was afraid you were using a cup of uncooked quinoa. Quinoa should be light and fluffy which is why it's a factor of 3 and not 2.

I used Fitday plus looked up a few specific labels that weren't in their database. If you run through your menu by hand using labels or nutritional charts found via google, not MFP, maybe you'll see where the differences occur. I also don't know if MFP subtracts out fiber which could count for another 100-120 calories.

You change your intake if the scale stops moving up over several weeks. You may change the composition of your diet as well as your workout routine when your lifts stall/fatigued/poor recovery. Give yourself a couple of more weeks, see how the scale behaves, then re-evaluate. You cannot micromanage this process.

For quinoa, the conversion from dry to cooked is x3, not x2. A cup of cooked quinoa is around 222 calories. I was afraid you were using a cup of uncooked quinoa. Quinoa should be light and fluffy which is why it's a factor of 3 and not 2.

I used Fitday plus looked up a few specific labels that weren't in their database. If you run through your menu by hand using labels or nutritional charts found via google, not MFP, maybe you'll see where the differences occur. I also don't know if MFP subtracts out fiber which could count for another 100-120 calories.
    Thanks for the verification. I just made quinoa for dinner again to test out the measurements and 1/2 cup raw made 1 cup cooked. Maybe my measuring cups are effed up (or I need to stop packing the measuring cup). I think the main point is that it doesn't really matter what the number is that I'm eating whether its 3000 or 2600....if I'm not gaining weight then it's still not enough. Maybe after my trip I will start fresh with a new tracking app and see if I get less errors. Thanks again.
    Last edited by schnauzers; 04-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks for the verification. I just made quinoa for dinner again to test out the measurements and 1/2 cup raw made 1 cup cooked. Maybe my measuring cups are effed up (or I need to stop packing the measuring cup). I think the main point is that it doesn't really matter what the number is that I'm eating whether its 3000 or 2600....if I'm not gaining weight then it's still not enough. Maybe after my trip I will start fresh with a new tracking app and see if I get less errors. Thanks again.
    No, you're not supposed to pack the measuring cup

Yes, erroneous tracking is just as valid as accurate tracking as long as you're consistent. The actual number is not relevant.

Dear Self,

*facepalm*

That's all.

Dear Self,

*facepalm*

That's all.
    Lol! The only ingredient I can think of that you pack is brown sugar. Peanut butter maybe to eliminate air pockets.

Lol! The only ingredient I can think of that you pack is brown sugar. Peanut butter maybe to eliminate air pockets.
    Noted. I think I've been packing everything because in the back of my mind I figure that air pockets would create inaccurate numbers ie 1/2 cup of quinoa with a 2" air pocket isn't really 1/2 cup of quinoa any more, kwim? Most of the time I weigh stuff which is harder to eff up but for grains or sticky/runny stuff I use the cups/spoons to measure.

Well I finished up three months of an attempted bulk. I'm up 5 lbs in total. Measurements are up a bit, mainly in the bicep, ass, thigh area. My strength went up more than I thought but my size/weight did not. I learned a lot through the process, mainly here. I'm not too impressed with the trainer that I hired so I think I will just go it alone after my trip. My goals will be to: track more accurately, don't wait too long to increase calories if the scale isn't going up (ie don't need to wait two to three weeks because that is time wasted), and start PHAT program. Looking forward to it!

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When it comes to grains....I WEIGH the dried volume and base calories off of the dry weight. Some grains say 1 cup dry = 2 cups cooked and some 1 cup dry = 3 cups cooked. I did a check of this using the method detailed below...

If you are cooking in bulk, measure the total dry weight, cook the grain, then measure the total cooked volume and you can use the MEASURED dry/cooked ratio to split out into the correct portion sizes.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...

Thank you, Mac!! I think this is exactly what I needed to hear. I think it's my nature as an accountant and manager that I need to have my thumb on this process. Instead, I need to relax and let it happen. Had a great talk with my husband about it last night too. He reminded me that the muscle will help burn the fat later on. For some reason still a bit inside my head anticipating that scale number to go up. The scale is evil, but I know it's one of the necessary mesuring tools to keep track of my process. Losing the 10 pounds I just did was so painful, I'm not looking forward to cutting again. But that is a long way away right now.

I try not to pack but it's hard with the sticky stuff. You get so little with a 1/2 cup that you don't want any air space to go unused! LOL!

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    When it comes to grains....I WEIGH the dried volume and base calories off of the dry weight. Some grains say 1 cup dry = 2 cups cooked and some 1 cup dry = 3 cups cooked. I did a check of this using the method detailed below...

If you are cooking in bulk, measure the total dry weight, cook the grain, then measure the total cooked volume and you can use the MEASURED dry/cooked ratio to split out into the correct portion sizes.
    I like this, makes much more sense and I do cook in bulk so I think I'll start trying it this way. Then I won't have to feel so bad that maybe one night I'm getting less than I did the night before. :-)

Thank you, Mac!! I think this is exactly what I needed to hear. I think it's my nature as an accountant and manager that I need to have my thumb on this process. Instead, I need to relax and let it happen. Had a great talk with my husband about it last night too. He reminded me that the muscle will help burn the fat later on. For some reason still a bit inside my head anticipating that scale number to go up. The scale is evil, but I know it's one of the necessary mesuring tools to keep track of my process. Losing the 10 pounds I just did was so painful, I'm not looking forward to cutting again. But that is a long way away right now.

I try not to pack but it's hard with the sticky stuff. You get so little with a 1/2 cup that you don't want any air space to go unused! LOL!

I like this, makes much more sense and I do cook in bulk so I think I'll start trying it this way. Then I won't have to feel so bad that maybe one night I'm getting less than I did the night before. :-)
    During my last prep my coach had me eating 1/2 c then dropped to 1/4 c of rice....well I was using uncooked volume and e meant cooked so I was eating 3x the calories I was meant to...

Now we just say "45g of carbs worth of XYZ"....

Page 267 of 330 FirstFirst ... 167 217 257 265 266 267 268 269 277 317 ... LastLast