Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    crashhacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy How much can the average man lift?

Hey guys i am kinda new to this forum, i made a thread asking help on how to get strength ,but i didnt get much.

So i want to know whats the maximum that i can lift without training at all, im 6ft and 180 lbs(81 kg),Please dont tell me that a man can lift his own weight,Because i can barely lift half of my weight, i tried to lift a cement bag (which is 50kg) and i failed, i barely budged it(okay i budged it but i couldnt lift it) D:, Am i seriosly that below the average , im 18 and i dont train.

vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by crashhacker View Post
    Hey guys i am kinda new to this forum, i made a thread asking help on how to get strength ,but i didnt get much.

So i want to know whats the maximum that i can lift without training at all, im 6ft and 180 lbs(81 kg),Please dont tell me that a man can lift his own weight,Because i can barely lift half of my weight, i tried to lift a cement bag (which is 50kg) and i failed, i barely budged it(okay i budged it but i couldnt lift it) D:, Am i seriosly that below the average , im 18 and i dont train.
    everyone is different. if you were a couch potato (no offense if you are), your inability to lift a nearly 110lb bag shouldnt really come as a surprise.

how do you get strength? follow starting strength or a similar basic beginners routine utilizing mainly compound lifts. you strength will sky rocket.
    NSCA - CSCS, CPT
    UofM - "It's all about the U"
    -------------------------------------------------
    Max Lifts:
    Bench - 395lbs
    Squat - 500lbs
    Deadlift - 515lbs
    Clean - 340lbs
    -------------------------------------------------
    See my training at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126150963

"Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one."

Originally Posted by vslice44 View Post
    everyone is different. if you were a couch potato (no offense if you are), your inability to lift a nearly 110lb bag shouldnt really come as a surprise.

how do you get strength? follow starting strength or a similar basic beginners routine utilizing mainly compound lifts. you strength will sky rocket.
    How can i train in home environment, Cause i cant go the gym its pretty far away from where i live, Also i am a student and that means that i am a little shortstack so buying dumbbells is out of the options for me, can you suggest me some alternative,And what do you think if i started training today how much would i be able to lift in a month i was able to lift 40kg as of now.
    Thnx for the reply

experiencing the f*ck Germinator2000's Avatar
    Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    evryone is different, thats why hes asking for average untrained lift. in that aspect, hes quesiton is well defined, the bigger problem is he doesn't clarify what he means by "lift". OP: u could have fail becuz u couldnt grip that bag, or it slipped out of ur hands, or u didnt know the proper way to lift it. if u had a 50 kg barbell, perhaps u could still deadlift it. partiuculyar if u study the form and know how to lift (even though u have no physical training). or if ur ever in a gym, pick up two 25 kg dumbbells and try to lift them, one in each hand. i'm sure u can do it.

to give u an idea, first time i ever did squat and deadlift i could quite easily do 135 lbs on both. my bodyweigth then was ~125 lbs. first time bench press i could do ~95 lbs.
    Mächtiger als du denkst, Mutterficker.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How can i train in home environment, Cause i cant go the gym its pretty far away from where i live, Also i am a student and that means that i am a little shortstack so buying dumbbells is out of the options for me, can you suggest me some alternative,And what do you think if i started training today how much would i be able to lift in a month i was able to lift 40kg as of now.
    Thnx for the reply
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=702737
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Germinator2000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How can i train in home environment, Cause i cant go the gym its pretty far away from where i live
    go to gym anyway, or buy a barbell + weights.

Originally Posted by Germinator2000 View Post
    evryone is different, thats why hes asking for average untrained lift. in that aspect, hes quesiton is well defined, the bigger problem is he doesn't clarify what he means by "lift". OP: u could have fail becuz u couldnt grip that bag, or it slipped out of ur hands, or u didnt know the proper way to lift it. if u had a 50 kg barbell, perhaps u could still deadlift it. partiuculyar if u study the form and know how to lift (even though u have no physical training). or if ur ever in a gym, pick up two 25 kg dumbbells and try to lift them, one in each hand. i'm sure u can do it.

to give u an idea, first time i ever did squat and deadlift i could quite easily do 135 lbs on both. my bodyweigth then was ~125 lbs. first time bench press i could do ~95 lbs.
    You know you are right, i could carry my mom fairly easily and she is 45 kg(she is short and skinny lol :P) and i could barely budge the bag, Also a friend of my dad told me not to move those cause they're to heavy for me, So if i could lift lets say a 180 lbs dumbbell which is the same as my body weight, Is it really that hard to lift a 115 lbs bag, yeah i mean the grip factor is here, but is it really that hard to lift a bag D:

ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    go to gym anyway, or buy a barbell + weights.
    Just go to the gym. My gym is almost 10 miles from my house, and with my truck it costs me $7 there and back. If you are uncomfortable going to the gym right now, start doing push-ups like a spartan on crack. In my time in Iraq, I brought workout gear everytime we went on a desert goose chase. Buy some resistance cables, pull-up bar for your door, etc. Or just go to the gym
    "Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does anybody else"

ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ManBearLion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You know you are right, i could carry my mom fairly easily and she is 45 kg(she is short and skinny lol :P) and i could barely budge the bag, Also a friend of my dad told me not to move those cause they're to heavy for me, So if i could lift lets say a 180 lbs dumbbell which is the same as my body weight, Is it really that hard to lift a 115 lbs bag, yeah i mean the grip factor is here, but is it really that hard to lift a bag D:
    I'm going to say YES. I curl 55lb Dumbbells, and picking up a 55lb bag is different be cause of the grip, and the center of gravity.
    "Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does anybody else"

Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Halrawk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm also going to assume it's cement mix, and not just a bag of hardened cement (cause that would just be odd). Keep in mind a 50 kg barbell is evenly weighted, a 50 kg bag of mix is not, it takes more core strength and more activation of stabilizer muscles. Grip strength for a lot of people is the difference between their current deadlift max, and a deadlift max of 40 lb more.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing you will be successful."

Originally Posted by ManBearLion View Post
    Just go to the gym. My gym is almost 10 miles from my house, and with my truck it costs me $7 there and back. If you are uncomfortable going to the gym right now, start doing push-ups like a spartan on crack. In my time in Iraq, I brought workout gear everytime we went on a desert goose chase. Buy some resistance cables, pull-up bar for your door, etc. Or just go to the gym
    LOL I think ill listen to your advice and start doing push ups, although i can only do 2-3 push ups for starters :P,Ill try to improve , My gym is 70 miles away lol xD.

About the 50kg cement bags, Now i remember there was this show called Strongman, there was a part were the contestants had to lift 50kg cement bags and move them about 20 meters, than they had to lift some weights and all other stuff(part of the game :-/), They didnt look like they were struggling with the 50 kg bags, but that must mean that they are heavy since they were put in a strongman contest

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    LOL I think ill listen to your advice and start doing push ups, although i can only do 2-3 push ups for starters :P,Ill try to improve , My gym is 70 miles away lol xD.

About the 50kg cement bags, Now i remember there was this show called Strongman, there was a part were the contestants had to lift 50kg cement bags and move them about 20 meters, than they had to lift some weights and all other stuff(part of the game :-/), They didnt look like they were struggling with the 50 kg bags, but that must mean that they are heavy since they were put in a strongman contest
    Read the link I posted earlier.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

So this means that not only should i start lifting weights but i should concentrate on strengthening my grip

My gym is 70 miles away lol xD.
    there might be a closer one? if not, i would start doing bodyweight only excercise for now, and in a few month if you decide u want to continue lifting, pick up barbell+bench+weights. i just bought full kit ~320 lbs weights, dumbbells, bench, 5 barbells, lets me do bench, incline, decline, leg ext, leg curl, bicep curl, squat, deadlift and more, all this for ~$180 used. will last me for yearsa and when i dont need it i can sell if for same price.

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Read the link I posted earlier.
    Thanks man, that will help alot

there might be a closer one? if not, i would start doing bodyweight only excercise for now, and in a few month if you decide u want to continue lifting, pick up barbell+bench+weights. i just bought full kit ~320 lbs weights, dumbbells, bench, 5 barbells, lets me do bench, incline, decline, leg ext, leg curl, bicep curl, squat, deadlift and more, all this for ~$180 used. will last me for yearsa and when i dont need it i can sell if for same price.
    Im going to check on ebay, i might find them some cheaper there , One quick question, does splitting wood with an axe help in gaining strength?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Look under "untrained" to get a ballpark idea

Realize that lifting real world items, like a bag of cement, is quite a bit more difficult than, say, deadlifting the same amount of weigh using a barbell. However, improving your barbell deadlifts will make lifting that bag of cement more doable.

gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gymcandykid has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Everyone starts somewhere different, I know some kids that are just naturally strong.. and me i started with a bench of 90lbs.
    Don't pray for lighter burdens but for stronger bodies.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This young man is right, look on ebay for good deals, got a nice power cage for $200
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    How much can the average man lift?
    Ask Ironlife.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Ask Ironlife.
    Bit harsh!!! lol
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100) Thrazher is not very well liked. (-100)
    Everyone was a noob once, thats my quote whenever I try something new be it guitar/lifting/computer games. I started hitting the gym and struggled with 40kg in bench. 6 months later I benched my own weight which is 80kg.

Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100) Goku7861000 is not very well liked. (-100)

So i want to know whats the maximum that i can lift without training at all, im 6ft and 180 lbs(81 kg),Please dont tell me that a man can lift his own weight,Because i can barely lift half of my weight, i tried to lift a cement bag (which is 50kg) and i failed, i barely budged it(okay i budged it but i couldnt lift it) D:, Am i seriosly that below the average , im 18 and i dont train, btw I'm 19 lol.
    I can lift 50 now lol, but with both hands. Remember everyone starts from some where. I started from 4 kgs then went up by 2 or 3 kgs until I reached 25. You can do it if you get some practise
    Last edited by Goku7861000; 05-31-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Faust24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wait let me see if I understand. He is a student and 18 so either college or highschool, and he can't go to a gym or buy dumbells. Are there highschools and or colleges that don't have gyms inside of them? Where do the football players workout. Also you are trying to tell me there is no parks or YMCAs around you? The world has changed since I went to bed last night, I am scared to go outside in this strange world were schools don't have gyms for sports teams.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Start lifting weights.

danteking92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have to bump this, Because i was the one who made this thread. Man have i come a long way , Now my bench rm is 365lbs, Squat 445 lbs and Deadlift 510lbs. Feels good, Thought i would inform you guys
    Last edited by danteking92; 06-03-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So we have the OP:

And then we have this:

Originally Posted by danteking92 View Post
    I have to bump this, Because i was the one who made this thread. Man have i come a long way , Now my bench rm is 365lbs, Squat 445 lbs and Deadlift 510lbs. Feels good, Thought i would inform you guys

VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) VmissileX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by danteking92 View Post
    Good to hear bro
    "Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow"

Originally Posted by VmissileX View Post
    Good to hear bro
    That post from this morning is the only one he has in this thread...

Registered User devilsrule61287's Avatar
    devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devilsrule61287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    So we have the OP:

And then we have this:
    Maybe he couldn't remember his old password, and just made a new account instead?