Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbell bench on a budget - brands to avoid?

I'm currently using a very simple and inexpensive bench I picked up a few years back (and barely used). It is just the bench, with no attachments, racks, or rests for a barbell. While I am using 78lbs of dumbbells (combined) for my bench press, I gave 100lbs a try for kicks, and it feels like they aren't far off. The thing that has me a bit uncomfortable, is the general rickety state of my bench when I start hauling up more weight. It isn't about to fall over, but the joints aren't snugly made, and the sudden shifts are unnerving. I'm not sure how comfortable I will be trying to use that bench with dumbbells much beyond the 100lbs.

I'm not planning on buying anything new at the moment, but as with any purchase that is more that a few dollars, I like to plan in advance and get a good sense of what I am going to buy, before the need actually arises. It also gives me time to keep an eye out for used equipment or sales. Right now I'm trying to get a sense for what barbell bench brands to avoid, what brands might be considered good bang for my buck, and any other possible issues I may want to consider. I don't need the most robust thing out there as I am still in the shallow end for weight, but it would be nice to avoid something that is going to fall apart when I look at it.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    what's your budget and where are you located? your best bet is to keep an eye out on Craigslist for a used commercial bench. i think the consensus fair price on a good condition used commercial adjustable bench is ~$300, but if you're careful and lucky you can find them cheaper.

read through the Craigslist sticky (the old and the new thread) and you'll figure out from advice given to others which brands are worth buying and which aren't. keep an eye on your own craigslist and do some research: you'll start to see what's worth buying and what's not soon enough
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Pay attention. You do not want a barbell bench. You want to push a bench into a power rack. As a side benefit you can then barbell squat, and do chin-ups.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Shamus3737 View Post
    I'm not planning on buying anything new at the moment, but as with any purchase that is more that a few dollars, I like to plan in advance and get a good sense of what I am going to buy, before the need actually arises. It also gives me time to keep an eye out for used equipment or sales. Right now I'm trying to get a sense for what barbell bench brands to avoid, what brands might be considered good bang for my buck, and any other possible issues I may want to consider. I don't need the most robust thing out there as I am still in the shallow end for weight, but it would be nice to avoid something that is going to fall apart when I look at it.
    Do this: ***READ THIS FIRST*** Official workout equipment FAQ

Q: "What are some good equipment manufacturers?"
    A: by no means is this an exhaustive or complete list but, Body Solid, Life Fitness, Precor, Parabody, Tuff Stuff, Cybex, Hammer Strength, Icarian, Nautilus, Hoist, Magnum, Promaxima, Smooth, Octane, Landice, Vectra, Legend, Keys, Yukon, True, Nebula, Atomic, Power Lift, Ivanko, Eleiko, EFS, TDS, Hampton, Troy, Cemco, Diamondback, York, Powertec, Bodycraft

Q: "What are some bad equipment manufacturers?"
    I tend to shy away from anything by the following companies (although if the price is right you never know...) Weider, Golds, Impex, Marcy, Body By Jake, Total Sports America, Apex, Bowflex, Image, Body Vision, Weslo, Pro-Form, Reebok, Icon, Tracker, Nordic Track and the vast majority of things you see advertised on television.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shamus3737 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm currently living in the boonies a few hours north of Toronto, Canada, so new fitness equipment is limited to box stores. Used from places like Craigslist is likely the way I will have to go. Currently looking at a budget of under $300 CAN, but much of it is dependent on what my summer work hours look like.

Just recently became familiar with power racks. Certainly not as common as barbell benches from the searches I have done, but I can see the value in them.

Originally Posted by RestoringTally View Post
    Do this: ***READ THIS FIRST*** Official workout equipment FAQ
    *Facepalm*

I went down the list of stickies to see if I could find one that would apply to me, and completely missed that one. *Hangs head in shame*

Someone pointed me to a Buff Dudes Youtube video in which they build a power rack using 4x4's and other materials found at the hardware store. Already have all the necessary tools from my time running a small woodworking business, so the expense is purely in the materials. Shouldn't be more than $150, and will suit my needs for quite some time. Now...just need to clear some of that crap in the basement...

Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bench905 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can buy cheapo steel power racks off CL for about that price. And if you ever wanted to sell, you'd get your money back. Wooden power racks have no resale value.
    Garage Gym Owner

RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So you're benching <100#s total? Any entry level bench would be fine for that. Is it possible your bench just needs to be tightened?

Some intermediate level benches would be Tuff Stuff, Body Solid, Powertec, Powerblock, Hoist, Rep Fitness.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 21