Closed Thread
Page 85 of 268 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,550 of 8031
    HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deadwoodgregg View Post
    There are negative machines in Europe that involve motors that tilt entire weightstacks to 45 degrees preparing for the negative rep. They must be $20,000. That is a true "cost no object" machine.
    And they have the entire line of those Swedish Xforce machines at Gainesville:

Attached Images
    {}---{} Best of the Best Machines and Free Weights Crew #1 {}---{}
    MXA------MEDX Avenger Crew #2------MXA
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #12 []---[]

qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Is MedX still in business or do these guys just sell refurbed ones?

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
    Is MedX still in business or do these guys just sell refurbed ones?
    Regeneration Equipment refurbishes and sells MEDX and MEDX Avenger lines and they build (new) some of the Avenger plateload machines.

qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) qaz123 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Regeneration Equipment refurbishes and sells MEDX and MEDX Avenger lines and they build (new) some of the Avenger plateload machines.
    Yeah I know that part but is MedX still making new machines? Their website looks like it's from 1996.

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by qaz123 View Post
    Yeah I know that part but is MedX still making new machines? Their website looks like it's from 1996.
    No, MEDX is no longer in business. I dont know exactly when they shutdown, but it was several years ago.

HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HealthNutMD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    MedX is still in business. I'm doing lots of family events, but look forward to discussion on the Avenger soon. Gregg should have a lot more to add shortly as well.

Just finished my Regeneration demo. In short, the Avenger "Regeneration" leg press is the finest machine that I have ever used. The "Bugatti" of all leg presses. This will be my next major purchase. Well, after I pick up my "mystery" leg press tonight. I hope that the Pendulum leg pieces turn out to be just as good when I try them someday. The Avenger row is very nice as well. So much to discuss.

Originally Posted by HealthNutMD View Post
    MedX is still in business. I'm doing lots of family events, but look forward to discussion on the Avenger soon. Gregg should have a lot more to add shortly as well.
    Yeah, Ken was trying to explain the Medx situation to me but I was only halfway paying attention. I was looking at equipment and ass or ass and equipment. Better yet, something well equipped with ass.

Yeah, Ken was trying to explain the Medx situation to me but I was only halfway paying attention. I was looking at equipment and ass or ass and equipment. Better yet, something well equipped with ass.
    The Gator girls were looking good...

Yea, using my cell phone... waiting till I get back to type more. What is your rank list? The avenger leg press is coming from LA mid July. I'm going to rearrange some things and probably move the Atlantis power squat into the garage. Of the avenger pieces, the leg press ranks one. I'd say its a toss up between the row and vertical chest for the next two spots, although I'm going to put the vertical chest as number two. After the row, I'd probably get the shoulder. The shoulder seems non converging... actually it is non converging. The shoulder is not mind blowing good, but it is a solid A/A- in my opinion. There was no avenger pullover to demo. The tricep push down seemed similar to others and offered a wide and narrow grip. I thought the pull down was very good and offered wide and narrow grip by flipping the handles inside or outside.

Anyway, we are going to work on a custom lever arm (the boom) which would offer a turn crank style of adjust ability of the stop position and also lowering the stop position when in the boom is in the free position. By simply moving the second lower stop position, that allows the foot platform to come back further. Just dropping that an inch should allow a few more inches of range of motion, which would be perfect IMO...

The vertical chest with the foot pedal to allow for pre stretch is very nice. I just need to see what I can do in terms of making space
    Last edited by HealthNutMD; 07-06-2012 at 05:02 AM.

Chris, I don't know what you have decided on the leg press, but I would buy the Regeneration model. I like the seat much better and you wouldn't have the weight horn issue. I believe that guy delivers anywhere for four hundred dollars. I am sure that Bill will have no trouble selling the other one fairly quick.

The Avenger leg press is virtually the perfect machine. Biomechanics are spot on. It is amazing how smooth the 4 bar linkage is. The adjustment of the seat makes it more than a one movement machine. The quality of build is awesome. The new seat is sweet and all of the adjustments are heavy and very user friendly (unlike the other Avenger pieces). More on that later. The reason this thing costs so much is the amount of materials used and the low volume of production. This design is easy on the body (joints). There isn't anything of significance to be improved on. Some of the other Avenger pieces are very nice but, as a whole, the leg press is at least one level above them.

Its the same leg press. So the cool part is that I'll have the original arm, and also the arm from Ken. Ill have the original parts + custom parts. I can also get the new seat from Ken as well. You can simply swap out arms, swap out seat, and swap out the custom lower stop that the arm (boom) rests on. Its really easy to do. This way you can have your cake and eat it also. I think the main point here is that he is making the same avenger leg press as the original, bit with an upgraded seat. Ill essentially have both... as well as original and custom parts. No mod is done to original parts, but simply swap in some custom parts and also preserve the original.

I'd inquire about the possibility of a custom boom, with a changeable length of the verticle stop. Ken had a great idea about using a turnable adjustment that gives ultimate adjustability.
    Last edited by HealthNutMD; 07-06-2012 at 07:23 AM.

I stopped by and met Hans at Nebula......I mean Rogue...I mean Rae Crowther today. They have a big showroom. Unlucky for me, they said that it had about 20 pieces in it 3 weeks ago but someone bought almost every piece. Let me tell you, they use alot of 7 gauge steel in their products. Very heavy construction. They had a Hammerhead style half cage and a cage like Healthnuts. Both are really top notch. I believe that the bolted construction with the heavy welded end gussets is a better way of constructing instead of full welded. The bolts are huge. The large amount of holes on all four sides of healthnut's uprights arent even a concern with the 7 gauge steel. Nicest cage/rack that I have ever seen.....They had also repurchased three of Tom's ISO pieces to study some of his construction techniques. A shoulder, seated row, and a pulldown. All three were built nicely built, heavy constructed pieces but I didnt care for any of the three. Hans had a website designer there today, so be looking for a better looking website soon.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 07-06-2012 at 06:50 PM.

What is your rank list? Of the avenger pieces, the leg press ranks one. I'd say its a toss up between the row and vertical chest for the next two spots, although I'm going to put the vertical chest as number two. After the row, I'd probably get the shoulder. The shoulder seems non converging... actually it is non converging. The shoulder is not mind blowing good, but it is a solid A/A- in my opinion. There was no avenger pullover to demo. The tricep push down seemed similar to others and offered a wide and narrow grip. I thought the pull down was very good and offered wide and narrow grip by flipping the handles inside or outside.The vertical chest with the foot pedal to allow for pre stretch is very nice.
    Leg Press A++, Row A+, Pulldown A, Converging Chest Press A (I knew that you would like that,) Shoulder A-, Chest A-, Leg Extension A- (slightly better than Strive PL), Leg Curl B+, Lateral Raise B+, Dip B. The leg press is probably the only piece that I would spend the big bucks to get new. The row is incredible. They nailed the biomechanics and strength curve just as much as the leg press. Very tempting to get the row new someday. I personally wouldnt spend that kind of money on the other pieces new. I would however buy the other pieces, except the Dip, in a refurbished condition and lower price. Probably should point out that all of the avenger pieces take up a large footprint. However, the leg press was smaller than I thought.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.

atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been thinking about purchasing some NEW medx avenger through Ken at Regeneration. Was looking at the avenger leg press which is a no-brainer. The medx tricep extension which seems like a great isolation movement. What are your experiences and thoughts with the avenger shoulder lateral raise and avenger 10 degree pec flyes? I have some Pendulum equipment coming for back and chest so will have a good mix of different pieces. thanks

Originally Posted by atlas668 View Post
    I have been thinking about purchasing some NEW medx avenger through Ken at Regeneration. Was looking at the avenger leg press which is a no-brainer. The medx tricep extension which seems like a great isolation movement. What are your experiences and thoughts with the avenger shoulder lateral raise and avenger 10 degree pec flyes? I have some Pendulum equipment coming for back and chest so will have a good mix of different pieces. thanks
    I did not try the Medx tricep while I was there. Wasn't really interested in one. The Avenger lateral raise is really good. It has alot of adjustments. Not mind blowing good though. I am still searching for the lateral raise that will replace my LifeFitness Pro 1. I think Ken has a 10 degree fly at his shop but he didnt take me there. Ken does not plan on making all of the Avenger pieces new. He is making the leg press and row for sure. Maybe the iso chest press, leg extension, and leg curl. He has to know that he can make money on it before he decides.

atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10) atlas668 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Medx Avenger Leg Press vs. Nebula Vertical Leg Press...Who wins?

Two guys on here have the Nebula vertical leg press and they really like them alot. I don't think they have tried the Avenger leg press though so nobody here can give us that info yet. Three people have the Pendulum Hip Press. I can personally say that the Nautilus Duo-Squat and the Hammer H-Squat are both excellent leg presses, but not as good as the Medx Avenger. OSUDimond has a Nautilus Leverage leg press for sale. That is supposed to be one of the great classic leg presses. From what I have read, the Avenger is probably the best all around leg press.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 07-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.

anyone try the atlantis standing lateral raise or atlantis bicep isolator? debating on the atlantis versions or going with the avenger lateral raise and the hammer strength preacher bicep curl.
    ok - avenger leg press vs. nebula vertical leg press vs. pendulum hip press (now from roger athletics)....winner?

anyone try the atlantis standing lateral raise or atlantis bicep isolator? debating on the atlantis versions or going with the avenger lateral raise and the hammer strength preacher bicep curl.
    ok - avenger leg press vs. nebula vertical leg press vs. pendulum hip press (now from roger athletics)....winner?
    I like the Strive PL preacher curl much better than the Hammer. All of those leg presses are some of the best ever made so you cant go wrong with one of those. Other good leg presses discussed here are the Pendulum Power Squat Pro, Pendulum Seated Squat, Medx selectorized, Nebula linear, Atlantis linear, alot of V-squat styles from different manufacturers, Nautilus guys like the old compound leg, Nautilus Duo-Squat, Hammer H-Squat, Tru-Squat, Magnum Perfect-Squat. That is a big list and no two are the same. Lots of other good ones out there. All you can do is demo as many as you can before making a choice.

anyone try the atlantis standing lateral raise or atlantis bicep isolator? debating on the atlantis versions or going with the avenger lateral raise and the hammer strength preacher bicep curl. ok - avenger leg press vs. nebula vertical leg press vs. pendulum hip press (now from roger athletics)....winner?

Just got back from a lot of flying... Pittsburgh, Tampa, Gainesville, St Thomas/St John's, Puerto Rico, back to St Johns, Tampa, now back...

1) I cannot recommend Ken highly enough. I look forward to getting some pieces with him.

2) I liked the Avenger 10 degree pec fly, you can adjust prestretch by placing another pad spacer on top of the existing bench pad, which works well. There aren't really any *new* pec fly machines of that type left on the market that I am aware of... although maybe some good nautilus ones used perhaps. The weight stack is insufficient on the old selectorized 30 degree Flex Fitness (pic earlier in thread), and no longer made. Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Tyler Hobson from Pendulum is working on a variable 10-20 degree pec fly, to be released sometime in 2013. I hope he makes it 10-30 degree, and have high hopes for that piece.

3) The Avenger tricep pushdown is average in my opinion. It has wide and narrow options for the grip position (like hammer and many others). Although the Cybex VR2 and VR3 tricep (arm extension) is not a pushdown, it is vastly superior in my opinion. I really could not see much advantage to the Avenger pushdown over the Hammer Strength pushdown, they felt very similar.

4) I was not thrilled with the Avenger lateral raise, I'd give it a B/B- at best.

5) The Avenger Shoulder (overhead press) felt good and had excellent pre-stretch. It is non converging, but felt absolutely fine. I'd give it an A/A- Its better than 90% of other shoulder press machines, and I would be happy to own one someday, although, I already have the Pendulum Chest/Incline/shoulder which is slightly better and offers more adjustability. That being said, the Avenger shoulder (overhead press) is something I would be interested in purchasing.

6) I will write the Nebula vertical leg press in the reccomended list. I understand what has been said about the stretch and unique feel of it. However, as I mentioned earlier, I would have concerns with high valsalva pressures on the vertical press and would probably limit myself to a weight I could do at least 6 reps on... I would never try to max out on it... although regardless of amount of reps/weight, when you go to failure and put out max effort, you probably cause a lot of valsalva pressure anyway. I'm sure heavy squats cause a lit of valsalva pressure also, no doubt, but at least the valsalva is more natural in position. I guess my concern is mostly with the inverted position causing increased valsalva to intracranial vasculature which could possibly contribute to aneurism formation or rupture over time (I'm not sure to what degree, but I posted some literature earlier which has me at least a little concerned about that possibility). Anyway, I would like to own a nebula vertical leg press someday.

7) I also think the Strive bicep is better than the hammer, as a couple other people here have noted (discussed previously in this thread). However, I really like them both in the sense they are AWESOME for supersetting... hopping from the strive to the hammer. The gold's gym had it that way down the street and it was awesome to have both side by side. The Hammer is a nice piece and I am glad I have both for sure.

8) If I had to rank in the order what I would purchase in regards to leg presses it would be: MedX Avenger, Atlantis 40 degree, Pendulum Power Squat Pro, Pendulum Hip Press, Nebula vertical leg press, and then the Atlantis power squat. They are all unique, and all offer something different, so Ideally you would have them all... but that is how I would rank them if I was forced to...

9) For Avenger pieces, my rank order would be: Avenger Leg Press A++, Avenger Vertical (iso) Chest A, Avenger Row A, and Avenger Shoulder A/A- Those are the 4 Avenger pieces that interest me. Priority/space concerns have me picking up the vertical chest before the row. The avenger vertical chest is very cool in regards to it offering the foot pedal (for pre stretch capability) and back bad adjustment. The Row is really cool if you look at the side view as shown previously. Look how the strength curve starts at max position and tapers off gradually as you pull inward... perfect strength curve for a row. So I think its just a matter of having adequate space before I get the row. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of weeks to make enough space.

For the row, you can see the starting position of the lever arm at exactly 0 degrees, which is max weight. You can see the plates on the lever arm in this pic the best:

I might head to LA this week, so if I do, I'll stop by Star Trac and check out those pieces just for fun.

I definitely want to fly to Quebec either in Oct this year or sometime next year to visit Atlantis because every single piece in the catalog and all of the new pieces are available to demo in their main gym.
    Last edited by HealthNutMD; 07-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you making a combined overall ranking while you're going, like best leg press, best rack, etc. or are you just keeping track of all the ones you like (for example, you like 6 leg presses).

Pec fly

Based In your experience with the medx avenger 10 degree fly, would you recommend the avenger piece over a more traditional selectorized pec deck/ rear delt machine? I have been looking at something like the pec dec rear delt from nebula. Thoughts?

Avenger pieces, my rank order would be: Avenger Leg Press A++, Avenger Vertical (iso) Chest A, Avenger Row A, and Avenger Shoulder A/A- Those are the 4 Avenger pieces that interest me. Priority/space concerns have me picking up the vertical chest before the row. The avenger vertical chest is very cool in regards to it offering the foot pedal (for pre stretch capability) and back bad adjustment. The Row is really cool if you look at the side view as shown previously. Look how the strength curve starts at max position and tapers off gradually as you pull inward... perfect strength curve for a row. So I think its just a matter of having adequate space before I get the row. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of weeks to make enough space.I definitely want to fly to Quebec either in Oct this year or sometime next year to visit Atlantis because every single piece in the catalog and all of the new pieces are available to demo in their main gym.
    if you are going to get the Avenger ISO Converging chest, you could get rid of the Hammer Horizontal chest. If you are going to get the Avenger row, get rid of the Hammer mid row. Also, I realize that the Atlantis 40 degree may very well be the best linear leg press, but what can it do that the Avenger leg press cannot do? Finally, I am interested in your thoughts down the road on comparing the Pendulum pulldown to the Avenger pulldown. The Avenger pulldown actually had a third grip choice (straight ahead) that was comfortable. **** I am halfway saved up for my Avenger leg press purchase***** Will pick up my 4 pc. Legend order Monday.

TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50) TinyB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For dumbells, I decided that I could not deal with Troy 27mm handles. I also did not like the huge size of pro dumbells at 120, 130, 140 and 150 due to the huge size.

Intek and Ivanko seem to pricey and not worth the money compared to chosing the following solid rubber coated and solid urethane coated dumbbells from Troy:

The TSD-R (12 sided rubber db) 10-100, 110, & 120 then TSD-U (12 sided urethane) 130, 140, & 150. The handles on the TSD-R are 30 mm for 5-50, 32 mm 55-75, 80 & above the handles are 34 mm. All handles on the TSD-U (any size) is 34 mm. So all the dumbbells have 34 mm handles on all db’s 80 lbs. and above. The solid choice also keeps bulk of the dumbbell down. To me this was the most cost effctive solution that was still 'enjoyable'.

TSDR – 12 Sided Rubber Encased Dumbbell

10 -120

TSDU – 12 Sided Urethane Encased Dumbbell

130, 140, 150

Anyhow, that is the best solution I could come up with.

FOR PLATES: I decided on the troybarbell(.com)/index.php?crn=213&rn=446&action=show_detail (Can;t wait to get to 30 posts, not being able to post working links is getting old) It is the Troy machined Grip Plate.
    I'm not sure if you have ordered from troy or not haven't gotten through reading the entire post. But I would definitely go with Ivanko plates and dumbbells. I've ordered from troy and been very disappointed. My opinion of there QC is that it ducks. I ordered a black oxide bars from them and when I got them it looked used with parts of the bar having no black oxide. When called and complained they shipped out another bar but when I got it it looked the same. For the extra money Ivanko QC is top notch and the weights are pretty close to exact. Btw my bars only weight 43lbs which might not be a big deal to most people but me being an equipment shore it passed me off. Btw you did say money was no object and you wanted the best of the best
    But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. II Corinthians 12:9

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #22 []---[]

Originally Posted by TinyB View Post
    I'm not sure if you have ordered from troy or not haven't gotten through reading the entire post. But I would definitely go with Ivanko plates and dumbbells. I've ordered from troy and been very disappointed. My opinion of there QC is that it ducks. I ordered a black oxide bars from them and when I got them it looked used with parts of the bar having no black oxide. When called and complained they shipped out another bar but when I got it it looked the same. For the extra money Ivanko QC is top notch and the weights are pretty close to exact. Btw my bars only weight 43lbs which might not be a big deal to most people but me being an equipment shore it passed me off. Btw you did say money was no object and you wanted the best of the best
    A lot has happened since that area of the thread, about 1.5 years ago now at least.

While many troy products may be cheap, I would not hesitate to recommend their top of the line rubber and urethane dumbells, which I purchased. But yes, Intek, Ivanko, and many high quality top of the line dumbells are out there. We discussed that urethane coated is probably the highest end, but that rubber is probably fine for home use.

I have Ivanko plates and bars.

if you are going to get the Avenger ISO Converging chest, you could get rid of the Hammer Horizontal chest. If you are going to get the Avenger row, get rid of the Hammer mid row. Also, I realize that the Atlantis 40 degree may very well be the best linear leg press, but what can it do that the Avenger leg press cannot do? Finally, I am interested in your thoughts down the road on comparing the Pendulum pulldown to the Avenger pulldown. The Avenger pulldown actually had a third grip choice (straight ahead) that was comfortable. **** I am halfway saved up for my Avenger leg press purchase***** Will pick up my 4 pc. Legend order Monday.
    1) I would not get rid of the Hammer Horizontal chest, I like it too much. I do want to get the Avenger Chest, but I need to make space. I need to spend more time with the Pendulum vertical chest as well before I decide my final opinion of it.

2) I do not prefer the Avenger row to the Hammer Mid-row (with the custom chest pad spacer). I do like them both however. I would keep both.

3) I like all of the leg presses I have, they are all slightly different. I like the variety. In fact, I would like to add the Nebula vertical leg press for that reason.

4) My Avenger Leg press was supposed to be delivered this week, but the trucker Dave Goalder has been delayed. If I had to guess, sounds like he'll be here around the 26-28th. I cannot use the pendulum pulldown until I move it inside and find the proper place for it, but yes, I really look forward to finding out if I made the correct call with that pendulum piece.

Sounds good about the Leveredge order tomorrow. I'd be curious to try a few of their pieces.

Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    Are you making a combined overall ranking while you're going, like best leg press, best rack, etc. or are you just keeping track of all the ones you like (for example, you like 6 leg presses).

I'm keeping track of what everyone likes in this thread (for the most part). The most important thing the list can do is point out machines that people might not have heard of, or that are looking to purchase the best pieces on the market. Its just another list for people to use when they are doing their homework. If I was to open an independent commercial gym, I'd love to buy everything on the list. Its too bad most commercial gyms are too cheap and poor quality not to offer autospot benches and things like that...

Version 1.1:

I thought I would try to summarize some of the highlights of this thread now that it is getting fairly long. People can certainly do their own list, but I'd thought I'd start with mine. I am focusing primarily on machines, benches, attachments, and bars. I think it is best to stay away from racks since there are tons of great rack choices on the market, and people have different priorities when it comes to picking their cost no object rack (that being said that hydraulic rack shown in this thread somewhere is really cool). I believe all of the top rack choices were covered throughout the thread and will continue to be discussed as new rack designs are released.

Another thing here is this is not meant to be a Free weights vs machines thread, and I think we got that out of the way early in the thread. This thread is simply about discussing all the choices of various free weights and machine choices on the market that people feel represent the best choice, regardless of cost. Certainly best bang for the buck is always relevant as well, but the thread is primarily focused on what is the best product available.

The short answer is that no company makes all the best equipment, not even close. Additionally, some extreme body types (very short, very tall, very large, etc..) might work better with some equipment rather than others. However, a machine that is voted best of best is often because it is very adjustable and can be used with the widest variety of body types and still have the best biomechanics. Ultimately, when it comes to machines, biomechanics and how a machine feels being used is the most important factor in determining what machine is best. One of the best ways to determine biomechanics, is the ability of a machine to allow perfect form using a maximum amount of weight on the target muscle being isolated. Additionally, the ideal machine will also have adequate starting position (pre-stretch) and a very large range of motion. One example is the Cybex VR3 arm extension (tricep). It is one of the few tricep machines (of that type of machine) that has upper back support. Other similar machines without upper back support do not allow one to use heavier weights due to the need to use abdominal muscles to hold your position. Without the upper back support, you are pushing backward against your abdominal muscles. In my opinion, the Cybex VR3 with heavy stack (and older VR2) provides the best biomechanics on the market for that particular type of tricep extension machine. Cybex absolutely nailed the grip, arm pad, length of the arms, pad angle, seat, and distance between the grips, pre-stretch, and range of motion. In my opinion, it is the best of all available machines of that specific type and gets a 100% for biomechanics for a neutral grip tricep extension machine. There are certainly other types of triceps machines on the market as well, however, at the moment, this piece also represents my favorite tricep machine. Again, this is in regards to comparing machines, not to comparing machines vs. free weight skull crushers, dumbbell work, or cable pushdowns with various attachments, etc. Which bring us the topic of specialty benches. Certainly we have autospot benches and specialty benches (such as designed specifically for just for skull crushers, dumbbell pullovers, etc...) which are all to be discussed.

Ultimately, only a personal opinion can be offered about what someone considers as the best possible choice in a machine. The vast majority of the choices I feel are superior to all other choices in terms of biomechanics. Sometimes there is a type of machine that you have a few good choices (rows and leg presses for example) therefore all of the choices should be listed, and ranked according to personal preference.

This is just a rough start. I wish I could edit this in the future instead of reposting it every time. Ideally I could put this on post 1 and edit it on occasion.

Leg presses:

TOP-TIER:
    MedX Avenger Leg Press
    Atlantis 40 degree Leg press (with modified wide foot plates)
    Rogers Athletic Power Squat Pro
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum Hip Press
    Atlantis Power Squat (modified additional wide foot plate surface)
    Nebula Vertical leg press

Runner-ups:
    Nebula 35 degree leg press
    Nebula 45 degree Leg Press
    Atlantis Fitness Pivot Press (with wide footplate mod)(felt to be better than the Cybex)
    UCS adjustable 35-45 degree leg press (difficult to demo)
    Elite FTS Mondo 45 degree Leg press
    Cybex Plate loaded Leg Press
    Strive Plate loaded leg press
    Atlantis Fitness Pendulum Leg press (similar to the old Paramount leg press)

Leg Curl:

TOP-TIER:
    Star Trac makes the best prone leg curl and bested kneeling leg curl on the market bar none:
    Star Trac Prone Leg curl A+
    Star Trac Kneeling Leg Curl A+
    Various standing Leg Curl units: (Icarian, Atlantis, Legend) (The best standing leg curl to be determined, but prefer standing leg curls to seated leg curls)

Runner-ups:
    Cybex plate loaded kneeling leg curl A

Leg Extension:

TOP-TIER:
    Strive Fitness plate loaded A+

Leg Abductor/Adductor:

TOP-TIER:
    Strive Fitness combo abductor/adductor A+

Calf Machines:

TOP-TIER:
    Sorinex seated calf A+
    Atlantis standing calf A (Lack of rounded calf block keeps this unit from achieving a perfect score)
    Nebula seated calf A
    Sorinex Donkey calf
    Free Motion Epic calf ext A

Shoulder:

TOP-TIER:
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum: Shoulder/Incline/Chest machine A+
    Hammer Strength Plate loaded Iso lateral A+
    Strive selectorized lateral raise A+

Runner -ups:
    Hammer Strength Plate loaded Super Incline (or older version called iso lateral military shoulder press) A- However, improved to A with back pad spacer mod behind upper set of back pad screws)
    MedX Avenger Shoulder (overhead press) A-

Traps:

TOP-TIER:
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum 5 way neck with shrugs.
    Elite FTS Pro Rickshaw
    Power Lift DEADLIFT / TRAP BAR
    Sorinex Diamond Bar

Triceps:

TOP-TIER:
    Cybex VR2/VR3 arm extension. Heavy stack option is absolute MUST have on VR3. Older VR2 is also top tier and has heavy stack included. A+
    Atlantis D-123 Pulldown with various tricep attachments. A+
    Atlantis Dipping station A+
    Hammer Strength Plate loaded seated dip
    Nebula reverse dip bench

Biceps:

TOP-TIER:
    Strive plate loaded bicep A+
    Sorinex Adjustable Preacher Curl Bench A+
    Hammer Strength plate loaded bicep A

Back:
    TOP-TIER:
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum Combo Lat Pulldown
    MedX Avenger Row
    Hammer Strength Iso lateral MID ROW, with modified chest pad.
    Atlantis D-123 pulldown, also comes with 310 lb stack (best cable pulldown on the market, hydraulic seat, etc...)
    Atlantis D-132 cable High Row (310 lb weight stack is standard on this).
    Dual stirrup Hampton cable attachment or similar chain with Black Iron Strength stirrup handle upgrades.
    Strive Plate loaded and selectorised Low back extension with seatbelt.
    Legend Reverse hyperextension with curved pendulum and tiltable top vs. Legend older model tiltable with straight pendulum

Runner -ups:
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum Row
    Hammer Strength High Row
    Hammer Strength Low Row
    Hammer Strength Pulldown
    Atlantis plate loaded Pulldown

Chest:

TOP-TIER:
    Hammer Strength HORIZONTAL iso lateral chest A+
    MedX Avenger Iso lateral vertical chest
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum Shoulder/Chest/Incline A+
    Rogers Athletic Pendulum Vertical Chest (non-converging design will cause varying opinions on this machine, highly recommend demo before purchase).

Runner -ups:
    Hammer Strength Wide chest
    Hammer Strength Decline Chest

Abs:

TOP-TIER:
    Hammer Strength MTS selectorized Ab Crunch A+
    Hammer Strength Plate loaded AB Crunch A+ (I demoed the plate loaded one in Vegas and it was just as good and also allows twisting of the seat for obliques. Also 4 weight horns for unlimited weight).
    Strive fitness Rotary Torso: A+ (modified to have 225 lb weight stack, predominantly to help make setting 2 adequately challenging).
    Strength Inc. Inverted Sit Up (revision of the Old Body Master Inverted Sit Up. Designed for the Hard Core Sit Up user).
    Atlantis fitness adjustable ab bench

Benches:

TOP-TIER:
    Nebula Awesome utility bench
    Elite FTS Collegiate 0-90 bench
    Williams strength signature Military dumbbell bench
    Nebula reverse dip bench
    Nebula dumbbell pullover bench
    Nebula flat bench that is adjustable at both sides for incline, decline, and flat of various heights.
    Sorinex Autospot benches
    Atlantis Fitness Autospot benches

Glute Ham Developer:
    UCS Glute Ham with custom wide footplate and wide footpads (36" width footplate)

Pullover Machines:
    Nautilus
    Hammer Strength plate loaded (with custom pad spacers as shown in thread)

MISC:

Rogers Athletic Pit Shark
    Rope machines
    Power -Lift Adjustable plyo boxes
    Elite FTS Swiss Bar
    Black Iron Strength fat bars
    Black Iron Strength attachments.
    T-Grip Barbell bars and attachments

Took a piece of equipment to Knoxville to sell to a great guy and new friend. Guy had alot of equipment knowledge and a cool home gym. He was lucky enough to buy an Avenger leg press off of the Dynabody guy for $1000 bucks. He also showed me how to do some retrofitting that will be useful on my Pullover project. I later went to Legend to pick up 4 new pieces of equipment. I think that I will be pleased with my new equipment. I am too tired to post pics tonight, but I will have some gym porn to post tomorrow.

Closed Thread
Page 85 of 268 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast