Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    **S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The new name for High Fructose Corn Syrup

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Meatpants View Post
    Funny my dad mentioned this to me about a month ago. New name, oblivious uninformed consumers, no problem. Europeans call it a genetically modified food, and i hear that it is banned there.

JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I understood corn sugar was slightly different in composition to corn syrup. If you look up corn sugar you will find it to be 100% dextrose monohydrate. With the production of syrup, the corn sugar becomes a high fructose corn syrup.
    The first rule to winning the game is to stay in it......

merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They have been talking about the name change for about a month. Sad thing is that the lack of nutritional knowledge alot of people have, they will get away with making and selling this stuff with the new name call it a healthy alternative. Ugh!
    Eric

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

"Thin skinned? Now that sounds like a way I could get more shredded....by having thinner skin." - Brackneyc

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.

JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JTraining is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JTraining View Post
    I understood corn sugar was slightly different in composition to corn syrup. If you look up corn sugar you will find it to be 100% dextrose monohydrate. With the production of syrup, the corn sugar becomes a high fructose corn syrup.
    Ha Ha....I WAS RIGHT! Check out the article below.......THE BIG CORN PRODUCERS FAILED!!!!

Sugar in the Code of Federal Regulations, under food substances "Generally Recognized as Safe" (GRAS). CFR Section 184.1857 reads:

(a) corn sugar (C6H12O6, CAS Reg. No. 50—99—7), commonly called D—glucose or dextrose, is the chemical [alpha]—D—glucopyranose. It occurs as the anhydrous or the monohydrate form and is produced by the complete hydrolysis of corn starch with safe and suitable acids or enzymes, followed by refinement and crystallization from the resulting hydrolysate.

(b) The ingredient meets the specifications of the Food Chemicals Codex, 3d Ed. (1981), pp. 97—98 under the heading "Dextrose..."

(c) In accordance with 184.1(b)(1), the ingredient is used in food with no limitation other than current good manufacturing practice.

The Corn Refiners have just petitioned the FDA to be allowed to use the name "corn sugar" to apply to both glucose/dextrose and high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). But the existing definition seems to exclude HFCS. While HFCS is about half glucose, it is also about half fructose, and its manufacture from corn starch requires one more enzyme.

A reminder about sugar chemistry:

• Glucose is the sugar in blood, and dextrose is the name given to glucose produced from corn but biochemically they are identical.

• Fructose is the principal sugar in fruit. In fruit, it raises no issues because it is accompanied by nutrients and fiber.

• Sucrose is table sugar. It is a double sugar, containing one part each of glucose (50 percent) and fructose (50 percent), chemically bound together. Enzymes in the intestine quickly and efficiently split sucrose into glucose and fructose, which are absorbed into the body as single sugars.

• HFCS is made from corn starch. It contains roughly equivalent amounts of glucose (45 to 58 percent) and fructose (42 to 55 percent).

HFCS raises several issues, health and otherwise:

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't mind corn syrup. It's the high-fructose corn syrup that gets my dander up. I mean, for real, even if it weren't the simplest sugar ever, created with love in a laboratory deep within the bowels of Cargills most nether regions, the crap just tastes disgusting.

Like crap.

And it burns.

Seriously. Who can drink or eat that stuff and not have their throat feel like it's on fire?
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I am tickled by this news. That means that all efforts to educate about the dangers of HFCS have had an impact.

My 9 year old son was at a birthday party when he was 5 y/o; the mom was pouring Sunkist Soda into cups. Justus put his hand over his cup and said 'Does that have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it?'. The mom read the label and was amazed to see it. She said 'Yes, are you allergic to it?' Justus said 'No, my mom said it is not healthy.'

Reportedly, everyone laughed... but when we came to pick him up, several moms asked me about HFCS.

That is how my own little campaign started. I realized that if it was not good for my children, I should let my friends know it is not good for theirs either.
    T.H.I.N.K before you speak. Ask yourself, is it TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRATIONAL, NECESSARY, and KIND? If not, then just keep it to yourself.

...think about what you write before you hit "Mr. Enter" button. ~Guy Jin 9.11.10 OV35Misc.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KimberleyRN View Post
    I am tickled by this news. That means that all efforts to educate about the dangers of HFCS have had an impact.
    Is high fructose corn syrup the evil poison that it is made out to be? According to what I've read, it ain't that much different from regular table sugar.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/

KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KimberleyRN is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Is high fructose corn syrup the evil poison that it is made out to be? According to what I've read, it ain't that much different from regular table sugar.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/0...tose-alarmism/
    Do not believe the propaganda put out by those that benefit from HFCS production.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...orn-syrup.aspx

The Corn Refiners Association is launching a major advertising and public relations campaign designed to rehabilitate the reputation of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS has been linked by many scientists to the nation's obesity epidemic.

The group is spending $20 million to $30 million on the campaign, including running full-page ads in more than a dozen major newspapers, claiming that the product is no worse for you than sugar. The ad, which features a stalk of corn, carries the headline: 'And Now a Little Food for Thought.'

The Corn Refiners Association "has been trying to counter the bad publicity around HFCS since 2004," but concluded it "could no longer afford to rely on simple grass-roots marketing tactics such as talking with nutritionists and doctors."

Meanwhile, in June a nearly $5 billion merger of Corn Products International and Bunge Ltd. signaled that corn manufacturers mean business. Revenues were expected to increase 29 percent in 2008 to reach $4 billion.
    If you come across one of these ads in your local paper, now you’ll know better. HFCS is finally getting the reputation it deserves, and although most processed foods and sodas still contain it, even companies like Kraft are now touting foods that are HFCS-free.

Not surprisingly, the Corn Refiners Association is running these ads in response to the increasing public perception of the dangers of HFCS.

In a sense, it’s a good thing because it means the word is out about just how bad HFCS really is. On the other hand, most people are not as in-tune to the real motives of these associations as you are. Hopefully we can get the word out about what these ads are really about: money.

Since the 1970s, the consumption of HFCS in the United States has skyrocketed. Consumption of beverages containing fructose alone rose 135 percent between 1977 and 2001. That is until about 2003. According to the Corn Refiners Association statistics, the per capita consumption in the United States actually went down from 2 ounces daily in 2000 to 1.8 ounces a day in 2005. Please don’t misconstrue; this is still far too much corn syrup to be consuming in a day. But the trend is declining for the first time in over three decades. That’s a really good sign for the health of the community, but a bad one for the financial health of the companies that sell HFCS.

“And Now a Little Food for Thought”

If you see this headline from the Corn Growers Association, it will be intended to make you think HFCS is good for you. Well, I’d like to give you a little food for thought of my own.

Part of what makes HFCS such an unhealthy product is that it is metabolized to fat in your body far more rapidly than any other sugar, and, because most fructose is consumed in liquid form (soda), its negative metabolic effects are significantly magnified.

Among them:

* Diabetes
    * Obesity
    * Metabolic Syndrome
    * An increase in triglycerides and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels
    * Liver disease

Fructose also contains no enzymes, vitamins or minerals, and it leeches micronutrients from your body. Unbound fructose, found in large quantities in HFCS, can interfere with your heart's use of minerals such as magnesium, copper and chromium.

To add even more fuel to the fire, HFCS is almost always made from genetically modified corn, which is fraught with its own well documented side effects and health concerns.

GMO corn will radically increase your risk of developing corn food allergies. You can bet dimes to dollars on this one and become very wealthy if someone is crazy enough to disagree with you and take you up on this bet.

The problem with corn allergies are that once you have a corn allergy from GMO corn you will have an allergy to even healthy organic corn products.

On top of that, if you read through the Organic Consumers Association article linked to above, you get a feel for just how bad corn crops are for your waistline and the environment. On average, Americans eat over 14 tablespoons of sugar every day, and a growing portion of that is in the form of corn syrup. Aside from contributing to obesity, the more than 76 million acres of corn grown each year in the United States is hurting the land. Each year:

* Corn crops are sprayed with 162 million pounds of chemical pesticides
    * Producing, packaging and transporting these pesticides contributes nearly 3 billion pounds of greenhouse gases to the environment each year
    * About 18 billion pounds of synthetic fertilizers are used on corn crops every year, contributing 35 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions

Corn Syrup is NOT Natural

The Corn Growers Association wants you to believe that HFCS has the "same natural sweeteners as table sugar and honey." But don’t fall for it. HFCS is highly processed and does not exist anywhere in nature.

The good news is that avoiding the largest source of HFCS, soda, is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your health. Right off the bat, you can eliminate all soda and sugary drinks from your life.

This dangerous sweetener is also in many processed foods and fruit juices, so to avoid it completely you need to focus your diet on whole foods. And if you do purchase any processed foods, make sure you read the label … and put it back on the shelf if it lists high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient.

However, like most areas in life, you want to choose your poisons carefully. I spent several years researching artificial sweeteners for my book Sweet Deception. Even though HFCS is clearly something you want to avoid, it is not as bad as artificial sweeteners, which damage your health even more rapidly than HFCS.

So ideally avoid ALL sodas, but if you have a choice between soda sweetened with HFCS or artificial sweeteners, choose HFCS. The best and safest sweetener (although illegal to use according to the FDA) would be the herb Stevia.
    Yes, this is one thing that I am quite passionate about.
    T.H.I.N.K before you speak. Ask yourself, is it TRUE, HELPFUL, INSPIRATIONAL, NECESSARY, and KIND? If not, then just keep it to yourself.

...think about what you write before you hit "Mr. Enter" button. ~Guy Jin 9.11.10 OV35Misc.

The biggest thing I have against corn syrup is the fructose. I don't eat a ton of fruit and focus on vegetables for this same reason. I have no problem with corn sugar (dextrose) and that is why this proposed change is so deceptive. A recent study showed fructose to accelerate chronic kidney disease in rats where dextrose did not. I have the study footnoted below.....google it to read. If the corn industry ADM etc. is allowed to call corn syrup corn sugar then they are allowed to lie because one is 100% dextrose and the other is almost half fructose.

Fructose, but not dextrose, accelerates the progression of chronic kidney disease
    Michael S. Gersch,1,2 Wei Mu,1 Pietro Cirillo,1 Sirirat Reungjui,1 Li Zhang,1 Carlos Roncal,1 Yuri Y. Sautin,1 Richard J. Johnson,1 and Takahiko Nakagawa1

1Division of Nephrology, Dialysis, and Transplantation, University of Florida; and 2North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System, Gainesville, Florida

Submitted 16 April 2007 ; accepted in final form 27 July 2007

Originally Posted by JTraining View Post
    The biggest thing I have against corn syrup is the fructose. I don't eat a ton of fruit and focus on vegetables for this same reason. I have no problem with corn sugar (dextrose) and that is why this proposed change is so deceptive. A recent study showed fructose to accelerate chronic kidney disease in rats where dextrose did not. I have the study footnoted below.....google it to read. If the corn industry ADM etc. is allowed to call corn syrup corn sugar then they are allowed to lie because one is 100% dextrose and the other is almost half fructose.

Fructose, but not dextrose, accelerates the progression of chronic kidney disease
    Michael S. Gersch,1,2 Wei Mu,1 Pietro Cirillo,1 Sirirat Reungjui,1 Li Zhang,1 Carlos Roncal,1 Yuri Y. Sautin,1 Richard J. Johnson,1 and Takahiko Nakagawa1

1Division of Nephrology, Dialysis, and Transplantation, University of Florida; and 2North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System, Gainesville, Florida

Submitted 16 April 2007 ; accepted in final form 27 July 2007
    I have Chronic Renal Failure (kidney disease). That is another reason I stay away from HFCS and because my CRF was not found until I was 30 years old, I am trying to protect my children from early CRF by limiting HFCS.

Lifts things&puts em down styken's Avatar
    styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000)
    This makes me furious. I have been telling people about the adverse affects of HFCS (and their inclusion in countless products for cost saving benefits) for a decade.

I am interested that the article only mentions "the Federal Government". I suspect the Corn lobbyists are going to be going after some kind of congressional action (which is completely out of their realm of responsibility, but when has that stopped them, check out the baseball fiasco). I do not see the FDA going along with this, and for good reason.

The corn lobby is very strong in the US though, and I expect the name change with the intent of misrepresenting products to the American consumer to happen in some way shape or form. If anything, they will follow the lead of supp manufacturers and change the composition / preparation slightly to legally be able to name it as a different compound.

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on this.
    [[[]==[]]] [[[]==[]]]

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Late getting back to the party, but unfortunately that was all there was. I hadn't heard about them trying to change the name before, so I though others might not be aware. The number one thing I try to control, or keep low, is the amount of sugars I take in.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do not believe the propaganda put out by those that benefit from HFCS production.
    Well, that article was by Alan Aragon ... one of the few objective sources when it comes to evaluating nutrition research.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz

Yes, this is one thing that I am quite passionate about.
    If you're passionate enough about it, you'd be more careful of where you get your information. Mercola is famous for his sensationalism/yellow journalism regarding health issues. As it's been said in this thread, the HFCS most commonly used in commercial products does not cause different metabolic effects than regular table sugar. If you have any human research to back up your assertions (the rodent research is laughably designed & executed), then be my guest.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    If you're passionate enough about it, you'd be more careful of where you get your information. Mercola is famous for his sensationalism/yellow journalism regarding health issues. As it's been said in this thread, the HFCS most commonly used in commercial products does not cause different metabolic effects than regular table sugar. If you have any human research to back up your assertions (the rodent research is laughably designed & executed), then be my guest.
    What about that G-d-damned burning sensation? What causes that?

Stupid single-bound molecules!
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    What about that G-d-damned burning sensation? What causes that?

Stupid single-bound molecules!
    I haven't personally experienced this, but if you have any objective (preferably comparative) data on this phenomenon, then please link me. Granted, this isn't necessarily the topic, but interesting nonetheless.

I haven't personally experienced this, but if you have any objective (preferably comparative) data on this phenomenon, then please link me. Granted, this isn't necessarily the topic, but interesting nonetheless.
    I'll see if I can dig some up. I've noticed it since I was kid being offered Hawaiian Punch at birthday parties. I didn't even know what HFCS was back then, but it burned. Hi-C did the same thing. It wasn't until 20 years later that I learned about HFCS, and then I noticed everything from Snapple to Lipton was making my throat burn. My wife has the same sensitivity.

Also, taxation is theft.

styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000) styken is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Well, that article was by Alan Aragon ... one of the few objective sources when it comes to evaluating nutrition research.
    Uh oh....Shi** just got real!

Mr. Aragon first of all I'd like to say that your nutrition articles are very well done, and I value your opinion.

I think one of the main arguments that many people have is that HFCS is added to SO many products, and in such quantities per serving, and is it really necessary. Obviously that is a subjective opinion but the fact is HFCS is much more prevalent in foods since it was introduced as a food additive; including fast foods people don't commonly associate with sugar intake.

I have read articles in the past relating to accelerated rate of tooth decay when bacteria feed on HFCS as opposed to more natural sugars, not sure if that is conjecture or not though.

It is also interesting to note (albeit irrelevant to the argument) that HFCS is only cost effective in the US because the Federal Government (and thus our tax dollars) subsidize it's production, while very little natural sugar production goes on in the US, and sugar imports have tariffs associated with them. This is why you see products such as the famous "Mexican Coke" that contain natural sugars instead of HFCS, for them it is actually more cost effective to use.
    [[[]==[]]] [[[]==[]]]

Also, although the article indicates similar levels of insulin being produced via HFCS versus other sugars with a similar composition, I can only speak from personal experience when stating that drinking a "natural" Coke gives a much more satiated feeling than an HFCS coke. I don't think I could put down more than a bottle of the former without feeling that I didn't want any more, whereas I could (and in the past have) gone through 3 glasses of the latter in a row.

Also, as Karl has stated, when comparing the two, HFCS colas have a much tangier, burning, and overly sweet mouth feel and taste. Perhaps this is a result of the different formulation, but I have found it to be true even when comparing the US versions of the natural sodas that were released a little while ago.
    [[[]==[]]] [[[]==[]]]

Styken, Marius, et al... Take some time to read this, I'll be around tomorrow to get to your specific Qs if you don't find the answers in this link.

Styken, Marius, et al... Take some time to read this, I'll be around tomorrow to get to your specific Qs if you don't find the answers in this link.
    I read that a few months ago...left this comment:

"My aversion to HFCS is more of the practical sort and admittedly extremely unscientific. It tastes horrible, and it prevents proper gelling activity when boiling pectin-based fruits.

Is there any explanation as to why drinks containing HFCS burn my throat while drinks with equivalent amounts of sucrose don’t?"

Also, taxation is theft.

Mr Aragon, I appreciate your input here. I just am very careful with my kidneys as I have CRF as I mentioned in my post. I have too much to lose to be ingesting things that could potentially cause me to lose more nephrons (I have IgA nephropathy and glomerulonephritis) I am a bit cautious and avoid many things that probably are only minimally dangerous. I am not willing to risk it. We purchase organic free range chicken, use hormone free milk, do not eat from cans, have 75% of my foods are fresh. I know this may seem 'over kill'... but as a nurse, I have seen dialysis patients and I will do my best to prolong that inevitability for myself.

We also have avoided artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, processed foods, enriched white flour and anything remotely 'fun' to eat.

I do follow Dr Mercola because so far, he has not steered me wrong. He told us to avoid the H1N1 vaccine last year and we just upped our D3 supplementation and did not get sick.

I know many see him as a 'quack'... but, I respect his input, though I do not follow all of his recommendations. (I try, but I fail sometimes).

I will admit to enjoying Fiery Habanero Doritos on occasion, but a girl has to have a vice.

And truly, I am grateful for your input.

xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My 9 year old son was at a birthday party when he was 5 y/o; the mom was pouring Sunkist Soda into cups. Justus put his hand over his cup and said 'Does that have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it?'. The mom read the label and was amazed to see it. She said 'Yes, are you allergic to it?' Justus said 'No, my mom said it is not healthy.'

Reportedly, everyone laughed... but when we came to pick him up, several moms asked me about HFCS.

That is how my own little campaign started. I realized that if it was not good for my children, I should let my friends know it is not good for theirs either.

You have no idea what the **** you are saying. Corn sugar and cane sugar are not very different from each other. What makes soda unhealthy is the amount of sugar, period. Whether it is cane sugar or HFCS is completely unimportant. The glycemic index of fructose is lower than that of other sugars IIRC and that should make it even better. People are always looking for excuses. It's a lot easier to accept you're 300lbs because of an evil sugar than due to your own habits.

Originally Posted by xinhuang View Post
    You have no idea what the **** you are saying. Corn sugar and cane sugar are not very different from each other. What makes soda unhealthy is the amount of sugar, period. Whether it is cane sugar or HFCS is completely unimportant. The glycemic index of fructose is lower than that of other sugars IIRC and that should make it even better. People are always looking for excuses. It's a lot easier to accept you're 300lbs because of an evil sugar than due to your own habits.
    ^^^ FIFTEEN years old^^^

Honey, when you have some life experience... come on back. I am protecting my kidneys and trying to avoid dialysis. If you have issues with that... mmmmKay.

xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xinhuang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mr Aragon, I appreciate your input here. I just am very careful with my kidneys as I have CRF as I mentioned in my post. I have too much to lose to be ingesting things that could potentially cause me to lose more nephrons (I have IgA nephropathy and glomerulonephritis) I am a bit cautious and avoid many things that probably are only minimally dangerous. I am not willing to risk it. We purchase organic free range chicken, use hormone free milk, do not eat from cans, have 75% of my foods are fresh. I know this may seem 'over kill'... but as a nurse, I have seen dialysis patients and I will do my best to prolong that inevitability for myself.

We also have avoided artificial sweeteners, hydrogenated oils, processed foods, enriched white flour and anything remotely 'fun' to eat.

I do follow Dr Mercola because so far, he has not steered me wrong. He told us to avoid the H1N1 vaccine last year and we just upped our D3 supplementation and did not get sick.

I know many see him as a 'quack'... but, I respect his input, though I do not follow all of his recommendations. (I try, but I fail sometimes).

I will admit to enjoying Fiery Habanero Doritos on occasion, but a girl has to have a vice.

And truly, I am grateful for your input.

I'm interested in hearing how a structural change in the carbohydrate in question will effect your nephrons' function. Studies? Broscience? Personal theories?

As for artificial sweetners, I cannot think of a single one that is unsafe.

^^^ FIFTEEN years old^^^

Honey, when you have some life experience... come on back. I am protecting my kidneys and trying to avoid dialysis. If you have issues with that... mmmmKay.
    You would do well to check my other posts and understand this is a gimmick account. This is the first serious post I've made on this account.

I laughed at you using that reason in the first place. Even if I was too young to be here, "life experience" doesn't really play into scientific evidence very well.

Originally Posted by xinhuang View Post
    You would do well to check my other posts and understand this is a gimmick account. This is the first serious post I've made on this account.
    Oh, so you have dual accounts? Nice information for the moderators. As that is precisely AGAINST the TOS.

Oh, I do not check other posts of folks that I deem a waste of my time. Thanks, buh-bye.

Originally Posted by styken View Post

Also, as Karl has stated, when comparing the two, HFCS colas have a much tangier, burning, and overly sweet mouth feel and taste.
    Actually, I think that was Marius

Thanks for the link -- I hadn't read this one yet....