Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How NOT To Look Like an Idiot at the Gym

I can't even tell you how many idiots I see at the gym each day. Me, as well others who workout regularly, have developed a keen eye for spotting gym "noobs" who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's not that I care that people look dumb when working out...I really don't, what bothers me is a) that people are cheating themselves out of a solid workout and b) that they make the gym environment less enjoyable for everyone else. Where do you think all of the stereotypes about regular gym-goers came from? Those jackasses. Abide by the following ten rules of gym etiquette and you'll instantly look more experienced and professional, but most importantly you'll give others the best possible chance to have a kick ass workout.

1. Get the !@#$ off your cell phone. This is my #1 pet peeve among all else, even more so than the lazy ass people who stand still on the airport moving walkways (they're not rides). The gym is a place to bust-ass and work hard, NOT check your voice mail, text, make calls, or check e-mail. If you're on your phone your work ethic is immediately discredited and you appear as if you really don't give a **** about what you're doing. Exercise with purpose and with intensity...it's the only way you'll achieve your goals. Get rid of all the distractions, your cell phone is a biggy. My only exception to this is the iPhone because of it's iPod functionality.

2. Put back your weights. If you use dumbbells or load a barbell, be courteous and return what you used back to its original spot. I have two major reasons for this. 1) If a barbell is loaded or dumbbells are sitting next to a bench it signals to other lifters that the equipment is still in use. If you leave weights behind it prevents others from using the equipment. 2) Why should someone else have to clean up after your lazy ass? If you use equipment it's NOT the job of other lifters or gym employees to move the weights that you used. It takes unnecessary time and energy to return weights, re-rack your weights after you're done.

3. Don't stand in front of weight racks. If you're using dumbbells use them away from the rack. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I'm trying to get a set of dumbbells, but some idiot is doing curls right in front of the rack blocking it. It's really not difficult, just move to an open area and move on your way.

4. Stop admiring yourself. Everyone loves looking at themselves...admiring the herculean body they've sculpted, but remember you're in a public place. Staring at yourself, flexing excessively, and pulling up your shirt to show off your abs all fall into the category of being a conceited jackass. You look like an idiot, everyone around you thinks you're an idiot (and I mean everyone), and trust me you don't look good or cool no matter how sexy your body is. Do it in the locker room or in the privacy of your own home.

5. Stop hitting on women. This one's mainly for guys, but a huge no-no is trying to pick up women in the gym. Women at the gym are typically focused on one thing, their workout, and they don't want to be bothered by some meat head throwing around inappropriate remarks. I guarantee you that they'll ignore you or give you a disgusted look, and really what you're doing is throwing off their workout and making yourself look stupid. Respect a woman's space and focus and leave her be. If she asks for help or advice that's one thing, but keep everything appropriate and friendly.

6. Respect people's space when they're working. If someone is in the process of working out, DO NOT talk to them, ask if you can use the equipment next, distract them, or crowd their space (this is assuming they're not standing in front of the weight rack, in that case do what you want). It's beyond disrespectful to interfere with someone when they're smack dab in the middle of a hard ass set, pushing themselves to hit a new max. Wait until they finish their set and then kindly move along with your business.

7. Don't be a hog. Gyms are a public place, nobody owns any of the equipment. Often gyms get really crowded, equipment gets backed up, and people are forced to wait to use what they want. If you know others are waiting, accommodate them by offering to work in with them (switch off), or simply go a little faster. Also, if you're resting in between sets do not sit on the equipment. Get off until your next set so that it gives others a chance to use it. There's no reason you should have to skip an exercise because equipment is occupied. Kindly ask if you can work in and they should more than happily agree to share.

8. Don't be obnoxious. Don't throw weights, grunt, yell, scream, or making stupid noises. You look like an idiot and sound like an idiot. Breathe under control and lower weights slowly. If you have to throw weights down when you're done that means they're way too heavy.

9. Do some research. One of the things that bothers me most is when people use awful form. So many people flail weights around like floppy fish, throwing their arms everywhere back and forth, thinking that they're actually doing something productive. They're not. Using proper form and doing exercises correctly is so important for getting maximal results and preventing injury. Get your thighs parallel to the ground on squats. Tuck your elbows into your sides during bicep curls and triceps extensions. Don't arch your back during deadlifts. Raise and lower weights in a slow, controlled manner. These are fundamental skills that so many people lack. Do a little research, watch a YouTube video, or ask an experienced friend...it doesn't matter. It takes a little bit of work to vastly improve the quality of your workout. Besides being more effective, you'll automatically look 100x more experienced and proficient.

10. Wipe down. If you sweat all over a bench or machine, wipe it down with some disinfectant. Noone wants your sweat or germs on their clothes.
    Visit my blog at: http://www.disantosfitlife.com

ACE Certified Personal Trainer & ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist
    Student at NYU-Stern

Become a fan of my blog's ******** page at http://www.********.com/pages/Bryans-FitLife-Blog/359302189008?ref=ts

jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50) jackowalkie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm in favor of etiquette, common decency and all that jazz but if its a public gym and people are paying the same amount you are to go there then you really need to stop being so butt hurt. If they are breaking rules, complain to management but if you are getting upset over someone not trying hard enough then you've got problems.

FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FFAZARI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cpanthers89 View Post
    1. Get the !@#$ off your cell phone. The gym is a place to bust-ass and work hard, NOT check your voice mail, text, make calls, or check e-mail.
    hahaha damn dude, today, I was resting for about 4 or 5 mins after a military press set (to failure) and i was just sitting there and I checked voice mail, called back, and sent a two texts and got back to pressing immediately after. now keep in mind this was when i was supposed to be resting, I would NEVER EVER take time out of the lifting. no ****ing way i would do that, just in between really tough sets once every 20 or 30 mins. thats all.

usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

I was looking for something to add but I think you covered all of them!

TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000) TomsGunz is just really nice. (+1000)
    i live in singapore and the local people here go to the gym sit down read the paper have a coffee have a talk with each other then leave, i guess paying $150 a month is worth it if you drink more than $150 worth of coffee

Berries531 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berries531 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i agree with everything but i have to admit i do grunt a bit. it's not obnoxious. its just a sign that im pushing really hard. if i need to grunt for a last rep, im going to do it haha

Berries531 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Berries531 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh and i also hate the people who try and make a fashion statement at the gym. they have their ed hardy sparkle shirt 2x too small and a new era flat brim hat to go workout.

Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Andrewm319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jackowalkie View Post
    I'm in favor of etiquette, common decency and all that jazz but if its a public gym and people are paying the same amount you are to go there then you really need to stop being so butt hurt. If they are breaking rules, complain to management but if you are getting upset over someone not trying hard enough then you've got problems.
    There is a difference between being butt hurt and being sensible.
    Although it's a public gym, it's still public. Same rules for being an assh0le apply in there and outside.
    5'7" 125 lbs
    I want to bulk up
    I do parkour and play hockey
    Be bamboo- Strong, but flexible.

Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Migs1990 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is why i train at home and have spent the time and money to invest in proper equipment. I do what i want when i want. yet i must say, i still have more etiquette in my own personal space than i see people do at the gym.

skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skinnyguy291 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Disagree

I can't even tell you how many idiots I see at the gym each day. Me, as well others who workout regularly, have developed a keen eye for spotting gym "noobs" who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's not that I care that people look dumb when working out...I really don't, what bothers me is a) that people are cheating themselves out of a solid workout and b) that they make the gym environment less enjoyable for everyone else. Where do you think all of the stereotypes about regular gym-goers came from? Those jackasses. Abide by the following ten rules of gym etiquette and you'll instantly look more experienced and professional, but most importantly you'll give others the best possible chance to have a kick ass workout.

1. Get the !@#$ off your cell phone. This is my #1 pet peeve among all else, even more so than the lazy ass people who stand still on the airport moving walkways (they're not rides). The gym is a place to bust-ass and work hard, NOT check your voice mail, text, make calls, or check e-mail. If you're on your phone your work ethic is immediately discredited and you appear as if you really don't give a **** about what you're doing. Exercise with purpose and with intensity...it's the only way you'll achieve your goals. Get rid of all the distractions, your cell phone is a biggy. My only exception to this is the iPhone because of it's iPod functionality.

2. Put back your weights. If you use dumbbells or load a barbell, be courteous and return what you used back to its original spot. I have two major reasons for this. 1) If a barbell is loaded or dumbbells are sitting next to a bench it signals to other lifters that the equipment is still in use. If you leave weights behind it prevents others from using the equipment. 2) Why should someone else have to clean up after your lazy ass? If you use equipment it's NOT the job of other lifters or gym employees to move the weights that you used. It takes unnecessary time and energy to return weights, re-rack your weights after you're done.

3. Don't stand in front of weight racks. If you're using dumbbells use them away from the rack. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I'm trying to get a set of dumbbells, but some idiot is doing curls right in front of the rack blocking it. It's really not difficult, just move to an open area and move on your way.

4. Stop admiring yourself. Everyone loves looking at themselves...admiring the herculean body they've sculpted, but remember you're in a public place. Staring at yourself, flexing excessively, and pulling up your shirt to show off your abs all fall into the category of being a conceited jackass. You look like an idiot, everyone around you thinks you're an idiot (and I mean everyone), and trust me you don't look good or cool no matter how sexy your body is. Do it in the locker room or in the privacy of your own home.

5. Stop hitting on women. This one's mainly for guys, but a huge no-no is trying to pick up women in the gym. Women at the gym are typically focused on one thing, their workout, and they don't want to be bothered by some meat head throwing around inappropriate remarks. I guarantee you that they'll ignore you or give you a disgusted look, and really what you're doing is throwing off their workout and making yourself look stupid. Respect a woman's space and focus and leave her be. If she asks for help or advice that's one thing, but keep everything appropriate and friendly.

6. Respect people's space when they're working. If someone is in the process of working out, DO NOT talk to them, ask if you can use the equipment next, distract them, or crowd their space (this is assuming they're not standing in front of the weight rack, in that case do what you want). It's beyond disrespectful to interfere with someone when they're smack dab in the middle of a hard ass set, pushing themselves to hit a new max. Wait until they finish their set and then kindly move along with your business.

7. Don't be a hog. Gyms are a public place, nobody owns any of the equipment. Often gyms get really crowded, equipment gets backed up, and people are forced to wait to use what they want. If you know others are waiting, accommodate them by offering to work in with them (switch off), or simply go a little faster. Also, if you're resting in between sets do not sit on the equipment. Get off until your next set so that it gives others a chance to use it. There's no reason you should have to skip an exercise because equipment is occupied. Kindly ask if you can work in and they should more than happily agree to share.

8. Don't be obnoxious. Don't throw weights, grunt, yell, scream, or making stupid noises. You look like an idiot and sound like an idiot. Breathe under control and lower weights slowly. If you have to throw weights down when you're done that means they're way too heavy.

9. Do some research. One of the things that bothers me most is when people use awful form. So many people flail weights around like floppy fish, throwing their arms everywhere back and forth, thinking that they're actually doing something productive. They're not. Using proper form and doing exercises correctly is so important for getting maximal results and preventing injury. Get your thighs parallel to the ground on squats. Tuck your elbows into your sides during bicep curls and triceps extensions. Don't arch your back during deadlifts. Raise and lower weights in a slow, controlled manner. These are fundamental skills that so many people lack. Do a little research, watch a YouTube video, or ask an experienced friend...it doesn't matter. It takes a little bit of work to vastly improve the quality of your workout. Besides being more effective, you'll automatically look 100x more experienced and proficient.

10. Wipe down. If you sweat all over a bench or machine, wipe it down with some disinfectant. Noone wants your sweat or germs on their clothes.
    I'm a big fan of not being an obnoxious moron, but I have to say that there are a couple of exceptions to these rules. However, I agree that adhering to them would large prevent you being *perceived* as an idiot.

The grunting and screaming, I heard this helps you lift heavier weights.. Obviously if you're just doing it for attention, you're a jackass.
    The other thing, hitting on women.. I don't think theres anything wrong with it as long as you're not being extremely creepy. Obviously if you start commenting about her gluteus maximus inappropriately you deserve the idiot award. But there's nothing wrong with chatting someone up casually. The gym should be a friendly, social environment just like any other place.
    "My philosophy is basically this (and this is something that I live by, and I always have, and I always will): Don't EVER, for ANY reason, do ANYTHING to anyone for any reason ever, no matter what, no matter where, or who, or who you were with, or where you are going, or where you have been, ever, for any reason what-so-ever."
    -Michael Scott

rotondod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

For 6, yeah, that drives me CRAZY. Last Tuesday I was in the middle of a heavy leg press set and some dude comes over to ask me if I can spot him on incline. He really couldn't have waited twenty seconds?

And 7, agree even more. Same day, I was doing a warm up of leg extensions and some old (like 50s+) lady sat down during my 60-second rest. She didn't ask to work in, dropped sixty pounds, and then just sat there when she finished her set. Ridiculous

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Brb my muscles not knowing that I'm texting in between sets.... so not sure what the problem is here?
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142412021

rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Agree with most things except the phone thing. I always take my phone and check it when I am resting between sets. Really dont see the prob here...

lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lrich1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the problem with the phone thing probably never occurs with people who frequent the site, but i find it annoying when people actually make calls between sets and spend 10+ minutes talking on the bench while sitting on the equipment, so no one else can use it. Otherwise I have no problem.

Also, 3 things you kind of missed (most noticeable to me during the first weeks of autumn quarter @ college);

Being overly social in the gym; the gym is a place to workout, not to have a group conversation while hogging all the the equipment and not working out. In relation, be smart when trying to strike up conversation, if I'm planting my feet while standing under the barbell in the squat rack, bad time, if I'm sitting on a bench between sets, decent time.

Asking to work in, and then radically altering the weight; the problem is that on barbells it takes a while to reset (such as on barbells) and when I am taking short rest periods, I don't want to be running around trying to reset the weight. You are taking advantage of my friendliness and I hate that.

Trying to use too heavy of a weight: you are not getting a better workout by having a friend doing an upright row while you try to press the weight, and you are impressing no one who has half a skull in their head.

worst poster on the misc Nonsense916's Avatar
    Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Nonsense916 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Judging by that...

This thread is retarded.

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I almost started to cry reading this thread. Bravo.

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Nonsense916 View Post
    Judging by that...

This thread is retarded.
    Why so? If you are using dumbells, you should never throw or just drop the weights. Not only will it damage the weights (assuming if you are dropping them they better be way too heavy, not damn 20's), or it is dangerous as it could hit someone. If you are using a barbell, then you should have no reason to need to drop it, as you are either deadlifting, or there is a rack to set the bar on.

As for screaming/shouting/etc, well, if you are maxing out, maybe. But a pencil necked girly man on the bench screaming to push up 135 pounds is ridiculous. Or the douche bag 17-22 year olds at my gym who scream while curling the 40's, wearing their stupid billabong shorts and tapout shirts, of course with the floppy Jonahs Beiber hair do, all just need to get sent to boot camp.

Maybe it's the old school line of thought, or just the common sense approach, that if the weight is too heavy to lift in a controlled manner, then it's just plain "too heavy" for the person to be using.

HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HockeyJon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Regarding grunting, a lot of people do it. Search videos of big time bodybuilders doing big lifts and you'll see a lot of them doing it. I've done it from time to time as well when I'm squeezing out the last rep of a really heavy set. Sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean you're doing it to be a jackass, it doesn't mean you're doing it to grab attention. Quite frankly, I don't understand why people complain about it so much. Perhaps they need to concentrate more on what they're doing rather than what everyone else is doing. It's never bothered me when someone has grunted at the gym, I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe I'm too focused on what I'm doing.

When it comes to "gym idiots", I tend to think more of people who are doing things completely wrong (using a seated calf raise machine like a leg press even though the instructions are clearly printed on the machine itself) without bothering to seek instruction, or are not considerate of other's needs with regard to equipment (not working in, not putting stuff away, etc).

HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10) HondaxPower is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HockeyJon View Post
    Regarding grunting, a lot of people do it. Search videos of big time bodybuilders doing big lifts and you'll see a lot of them doing it. I've done it from time to time as well when I'm squeezing out the last rep of a really heavy set. Sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean you're doing it to be a jackass, it doesn't mean you're doing it to grab attention. Quite frankly, I don't understand why people complain about it so much. Perhaps they need to concentrate more on what they're doing rather than what everyone else is doing. It's never bothered me when someone has grunted at the gym, I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe I'm too focused on what I'm doing.

When it comes to "gym idiots", I tend to think more of people who are doing things completely wrong (using a seated calf raise machine like a leg press even though the instructions are clearly printed on the machine itself) without bothering to seek instruction, or are not considerate of other's needs with regard to equipment (not working in, not putting stuff away, etc).
    grunts aren't bad i find, but well there starting to get loud like when trying to focus and all you here is gruh gruh gruh, you lose your focus.... i went to the gym the other day and this "power lifter" lady was doing squats she was SCREAMING through all her sets and reps, everyone in the gym just looked at her, i was in the change room and i can clearly hear her screaming....

usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usere1565611561 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rnewton4 View Post
    Agree with most things except the phone thing. I always take my phone and check it when I am resting between sets. Really dont see the prob here...
    I think he's talking about the people you see on the treadmill with the speed set at .1 and they are talking on their cell phone. Or the genius who is talking on the phone with one hand and curling with the other.

cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cpanthers89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by lrich1 View Post
    the problem with the phone thing probably never occurs with people who frequent the site, but i find it annoying when people actually make calls between sets and spend 10+ minutes talking on the bench while sitting on the equipment, so no one else can use it. Otherwise I have no problem.

Also, 3 things you kind of missed (most noticeable to me during the first weeks of autumn quarter @ college);

Being overly social in the gym; the gym is a place to workout, not to have a group conversation while hogging all the the equipment and not working out. In relation, be smart when trying to strike up conversation, if I'm planting my feet while standing under the barbell in the squat rack, bad time, if I'm sitting on a bench between sets, decent time.

Asking to work in, and then radically altering the weight; the problem is that on barbells it takes a while to reset (such as on barbells) and when I am taking short rest periods, I don't want to be running around trying to reset the weight. You are taking advantage of my friendliness and I hate that.

Trying to use too heavy of a weight: you are not getting a better workout by having a friend doing an upright row while you try to press the weight, and you are impressing no one who has half a skull in their head.
    Yeah I definitely agree with all three of these things. I go to a college gym and the social thing is ridiculously bad. It's just annoying when 10 guys are hoarding around a squat rack.

As for the phone thing, it more applies to using it when you're working. Like someone said I see people on their phone while curling...that's just ridiculous.

I don't mind a little grunting or heavy breathing, it's natural if you're working hard. I'm talking about the people that are legit yelling trying to grab attention. You look dumb and noone cares.
    Visit my blog at: http://www.disantosfitlife.com

ACE Certified Personal Trainer & ISSA Certified Sports Nutritionist
    Student at NYU-Stern

Become a fan of my blog's ******** page at http://www.********.com/pages/Bryans-FitLife-Blog/359302189008?ref=ts

crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250) crunchymilk has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I use my iphone to run an app that tracks my lifts and times my breaks. That means I pull it out and use it after every set. You got a problem with it? Too bad.
    2 more years until official Misc doctor status

I always rep back

Originally Posted by crunchymilk View Post
    I use my iphone to run an app that tracks my lifts and times my breaks. That means I pull it out and use it after every set. You got a problem with it? Too bad.
    I don't think anyone has a "problem" with it. It just looks retarded. For centuries, humans have been functioning without gadgets like iphones. Arnold got his look without an iphone tracking his rest times. An old stop watch accompanied by a lil notebook and pen can do the same thing.

I suppose for some of us, the gym is a sort of safe haven escape from the modern world. Where only work ethic and iron can get you where you want to go. It's free from constant gadgets and the other crap our world has become so obsessed with. So when we see someone who, it appears, cannot even take 45 minutes to just workout without having to constantly check their phone, it just annoys or disappoints us.

I mean, it's 30-45 minutes. And some people just can't risk taking that amount of time disconnected from the world, risk not seeing the latest ******** updates, whatever, to just workout.

Anyway, you said thats not why you have the phone and thats cool. It's none of my business really. But I'm just telling you why some of us, me included, get a bit disgusted when we see people with their cell phones right along beside them through their entire workout. I just think "How sad" that a person cannot disconnect themselves from the digital world for 45 minutes a day to do some deadlifts. Just trying to conserve the haven that is the gym for as long as we can before the inevitable invasion of the soft, tech obsessed society that our population has become gripped by.

Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Konsept is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    While gym etiquette is appreciated, it certainly isn't the rule. Especially on a few of these:

#1 - Cell Phone: I bring my phone because I have to rest between sets. During my resting period, I will check my phone. However, I have my phone on SILENT. No distractions DURING my lift.

#2 - You win here. I can't stand people who don't put their weights back.

#3 - These idiots deserve to get an 85lb dumbbell dropped on their toes. They'll learn after the first injury not to be so fkn close.

#4 - Real talk, I've never witnessed anyone pause their workout to full out go through the Mr. Olympia poses for 15+ minutes straight. I flex after pushing hard. It's a psychological thing that makes you feel good about your set and gets you pumped up for the next set being heavier.

#5 - If a chick is eyeing me, I'll approach after my work out... unless she's straight up a 10/10 then I drop my **** and head over. Srs.

#6 - If I want to use, lets say the dip bars, and some fcker is just stretching or doing random weird stuff, I will interrupt and ask politely FIRST when they'll be done and/or if I can work-in. If they're being a douche (srs happened once) and just chilling by the dip bars only to use the MIRROR infront of them as a sneaky way of checking out the hot chick bent over doing hamstring exercises (the one where they kick their legs up to their butt), I will move you over and not ask. I'm there to work out, if you're there to be a perv, seriously you're in the wrong place.

#7 - ^ same as above

#8 - Brah... I don't even know what to say. Last time I checked, the gym was not a freaking library.

#9 - Do what you want. If you've got a moment, aware the noobs.

#10 - I bring a towel everywhere I go because I don't expect people to wipe down. I barely sweat, but I can't count how many times I've nearly vomitted by going to the washroom, taking a piss, and when I wash my hands, some nasty mofo comes out of the toilet stall, rinses their hands with water and immediately their mouth. If nasty mofo's like this exist and do it shamelessly, I know they won't wipe down. Ugh.

omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omegaboostz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know about you guys but one thing that really makes me feel uncomfortable is when some dude screams like he has an orgasms while lifting. It just sound sooo bad!

43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000) 43Steelers is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Berries531 View Post
    i agree with everything but i have to admit i do grunt a bit. it's not obnoxious. its just a sign that im pushing really hard. if i need to grunt for a last rep, im going to do it haha
    this!

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Migs1990 View Post
    This is why i train at home and have spent the time and money to invest in proper equipment. I do what i want when i want. yet i must say, i still have more etiquette in my own personal space than i see people do at the gym.
    You know it's a real shame, you hear so many good, decent guys who work out at home so they don't have to put up with the gym idiots, but what we really need is more gym idiots who work out at home so the rest of us don't have to put up with them!

KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lrich1 View Post

Excellent point.

Generally speaking, I agree with most of the points made in the OP thread. A few are not that big a deal to me, but I like the idea of a thread like this.
    ★★★AJ Lee Crew★★★

"I can handle failure; I cannot handle not trying."

UGA/Falcons/Braves cameronscott's Avatar
    cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000) cameronscott is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There's always so much fail in my gym at my university, the first few weeks are the worst, as all these inconsiderate 18 year-olds will come in packs of 2-6 to workout, but will mostly just stand around and socialize. It's bad because the weightlifting area isn't all that big.

Two things that have bothered the **** out of me.

1. First week back to school, I'm doing flat bench press bb and in between sets I am sitting on the bench listening to my iPod, minding my own business. These three skinny Asian kids come out of nowhere and ask me if I am using the bench. It had to be the dumbest question, it was very obvious I was still using the bench. I didn't even feel bad about taking my time with the rest of my sets.

2. There was a shock-collar stuck onto a barbell at the military press station. I grabbed the barbell from a incline bench press station and move it to another area to do deadlifts. After putting 225 lbs on the bar, still warming up, some kids come up and ask me if I can use the barbell with the shock collar stuck on it instead. I bert stared them for a second and said, "if y'all can get the shock collar off the bar, you can use the bar."

I really hate my university gym, I used to think it was great, but after working out at some other places, I've realized just how inferior it is.

r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10) r2473 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can't say I disagree with the OP.

But, I think you have to come to terms with reality and deal with it. People will do all of the things you listed. Makes no sense to get uptight about it because you can't change it. If you try to "police" the gym, it is YOU that ends up looking like a d0uchbag. You will just end up getting into endless confrontation and YOU will develop a bad reputation.

Just try to plan your workout at a time when the gym isn't busy. I'm in early in the morning. The gym is almost empty. The people that are there want to be there and have sacrificed by getting up early to do so.

You can only control what you do, not everyone else.