Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
    flyrich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice tips
    Originally Posted by cpanthers89 View Post
    I can't even tell you how many idiots I see at the gym each day. Me, as well others who workout regularly, have developed a keen eye for spotting gym "noobs" who have absolutely no idea what they're doing. It's not that I care that people look dumb when working out...I really don't, what bothers me is a) that people are cheating themselves out of a solid workout and b) that they make the gym environment less enjoyable for everyone else. Where do you think all of the stereotypes about regular gym-goers came from? Those jackasses. Abide by the following ten rules of gym etiquette and you'll instantly look more experienced and professional, but most importantly you'll give others the best possible chance to have a kick ass workout.

1. Get the !@#$ off your cell phone. This is my #1 pet peeve among all else, even more so than the lazy ass people who stand still on the airport moving walkways (they're not rides). The gym is a place to bust-ass and work hard, NOT check your voice mail, text, make calls, or check e-mail. If you're on your phone your work ethic is immediately discredited and you appear as if you really don't give a **** about what you're doing. Exercise with purpose and with intensity...it's the only way you'll achieve your goals. Get rid of all the distractions, your cell phone is a biggy. My only exception to this is the iPhone because of it's iPod functionality.

2. Put back your weights. If you use dumbbells or load a barbell, be courteous and return what you used back to its original spot. I have two major reasons for this. 1) If a barbell is loaded or dumbbells are sitting next to a bench it signals to other lifters that the equipment is still in use. If you leave weights behind it prevents others from using the equipment. 2) Why should someone else have to clean up after your lazy ass? If you use equipment it's NOT the job of other lifters or gym employees to move the weights that you used. It takes unnecessary time and energy to return weights, re-rack your weights after you're done.

3. Don't stand in front of weight racks. If you're using dumbbells use them away from the rack. I can't tell you how frustrating it is when I'm trying to get a set of dumbbells, but some idiot is doing curls right in front of the rack blocking it. It's really not difficult, just move to an open area and move on your way.

4. Stop admiring yourself. Everyone loves looking at themselves...admiring the herculean body they've sculpted, but remember you're in a public place. Staring at yourself, flexing excessively, and pulling up your shirt to show off your abs all fall into the category of being a conceited jackass. You look like an idiot, everyone around you thinks you're an idiot (and I mean everyone), and trust me you don't look good or cool no matter how sexy your body is. Do it in the locker room or in the privacy of your own home.

5. Stop hitting on women. This one's mainly for guys, but a huge no-no is trying to pick up women in the gym. Women at the gym are typically focused on one thing, their workout, and they don't want to be bothered by some meat head throwing around inappropriate remarks. I guarantee you that they'll ignore you or give you a disgusted look, and really what you're doing is throwing off their workout and making yourself look stupid. Respect a woman's space and focus and leave her be. If she asks for help or advice that's one thing, but keep everything appropriate and friendly.

6. Respect people's space when they're working. If someone is in the process of working out, DO NOT talk to them, ask if you can use the equipment next, distract them, or crowd their space (this is assuming they're not standing in front of the weight rack, in that case do what you want). It's beyond disrespectful to interfere with someone when they're smack dab in the middle of a hard ass set, pushing themselves to hit a new max. Wait until they finish their set and then kindly move along with your business.

7. Don't be a hog. Gyms are a public place, nobody owns any of the equipment. Often gyms get really crowded, equipment gets backed up, and people are forced to wait to use what they want. If you know others are waiting, accommodate them by offering to work in with them (switch off), or simply go a little faster. Also, if you're resting in between sets do not sit on the equipment. Get off until your next set so that it gives others a chance to use it. There's no reason you should have to skip an exercise because equipment is occupied. Kindly ask if you can work in and they should more than happily agree to share.

8. Don't be obnoxious. Don't throw weights, grunt, yell, scream, or making stupid noises. You look like an idiot and sound like an idiot. Breathe under control and lower weights slowly. If you have to throw weights down when you're done that means they're way too heavy.

9. Do some research. One of the things that bothers me most is when people use awful form. So many people flail weights around like floppy fish, throwing their arms everywhere back and forth, thinking that they're actually doing something productive. They're not. Using proper form and doing exercises correctly is so important for getting maximal results and preventing injury. Get your thighs parallel to the ground on squats. Tuck your elbows into your sides during bicep curls and triceps extensions. Don't arch your back during deadlifts. Raise and lower weights in a slow, controlled manner. These are fundamental skills that so many people lack. Do a little research, watch a YouTube video, or ask an experienced friend...it doesn't matter. It takes a little bit of work to vastly improve the quality of your workout. Besides being more effective, you'll automatically look 100x more experienced and proficient.

10. Wipe down. If you sweat all over a bench or machine, wipe it down with some disinfectant. Noone wants your sweat or germs on their clothes.

prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50) prakash1988 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I couln't agree more with the points mentioned in your article!

zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50) zzduality will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The other day I had my back day, i took the perfect amount of preworkout to get me going pumped..I ended up doing like 300 ****ing pull ups because there were 3 ****ing douche bags using the Lat Pull Down doing 5x5 with 3 different sets of pull down bars and they were talking as well.

I dont give a **** if you come with your buddy to the gym but if your just going to sit there and chit-chat for 10 minutes in between sets gtfo please.

ontop of that my gym only has 1 lat pulldown machine I have no ****ing idea why

JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JKing1890 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by crunchymilk View Post
    I use my iphone to run an app that tracks my lifts and times my breaks. That means I pull it out and use it after every set. You got a problem with it? Too bad.
    Amen, I do the same thing. I understand if they're just hanging out on the weight bench holding a conversation, but if I pull out my phone to change a song or track my workout, it only makes me more dedicated to my lifts.

khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) khaki_man has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nothing pisses me off more than when I'm in between sets and someone comes and jacks my machine or bar and changes all the settings for their short legs/arms or starts taking the weight off the bar. It's an easy fix though, I just say "I was using that" or do it right back to them and make them feel like a retard that they are.

iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Was changing in the locker room when some dude in his late forties begins to talk to me. This guy was about thirty five percent body fat. And he says to me, "yeah, I've been coming here for a few months now. I want to compete in bodybuilding two years from now."

I can't believe this guy actually believes he could get into contest shape in two years looking like he does. Absolutely no definition, no sign of mass underneath his fat. Then he goes on....whilst putting on his whitey tighties... he says "it's better to have a lifting partner then to do it alone."

I say, "yup". I quickly put on my shoes and get the heck out of there. People like this make me feel violated. I can't stand it when people I don't know try to talk to me in the locker room while changing. I don't know you. You are naked. So please put on some clothes with your mouth closed. If you want to talk to me when i'm not wearing headphones out on the floor, in between sets, that is fine. And definitely don't talk about being a bodybuilding competitor unless you are, or are close to being a bodybuilding competitor...
    squeeze your glutes and press

lutzrm12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lutzrm12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lutzrm12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with most of this. As far as cell phones go.. I'm on call 24/7, so I have my cell phone with me at all times (not to mention I also use it to listen to music). there are manyyyyyyy times I need to take a break from my workout to answer a work call. Which drives me CRAZY sometimes. I can't even get an hour and a half workout in without being interrupted by work... but it pays the bills so I guess I shouldn't complain. I also frequently take my phone out to change songs.

I agree with you about #5, although I try to remain pleasant when a man strikes up conversation at the gym, sometimes they just go about it the wrong way. This one guy used to constantly interrupt me in the middle of my set, WITH MY HEAD PHONES ON. he would literally poke me. I'd stop, rack my weight, pause my music, take my headphones off, just for him to hit me with some lame line. I have no problem being friendly and social at the gym, but wait till I'm done with my set. Or hit me up when my headphones are off, that's usually a sign that I'm open to conversation.

CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CrystalB2011 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I completely agree with OP...really funny but so very true!!

cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cfp636 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I hate it when old men 60+ get butt naked in the locker room walking in my field of view.....

BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BruthaGV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP you would make a good personal trainer at my gym. Most of the members break all your rules constantly!

I must admit I have my cellphone with me at the gym, but that's because it use it for a timer between my sets and to track my weights...

#7 pisses me off too, bigtime.

masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can I add:

How about not picking your nose while you are working on any of the equipment....

edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50) edge131 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by masterg20 View Post
    Can I add:

How about not picking your nose while you are working on any of the equipment....
    or not washing your hands after you pee/sneeze and then use the equipment...
    Get the body YOU want,not the body others tell you to have...

Live your life how you want it, but make sure you live happy.

conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    More friendly staff! I want those qt3.14 trainers to talk to me while i work out

czczvc2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I save this article.great article
    http://www.howmakeagirllikeyou.com/

<a href="http://www.howmakeagirllikeyou.com">how to make a girl like you</a>

[url=http://www.howmakeagirllikeyou.com]how to make a girl like you[/url]

MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iLiRaM View Post
    Was changing in the locker room when some dude in his late forties begins to talk to me. This guy was about thirty five percent body fat. And he says to me, "yeah, I've been coming here for a few months now. I want to compete in bodybuilding two years from now."

I can't believe this guy actually believes he could get into contest shape in two years looking like he does. Absolutely no definition, no sign of mass underneath his fat. Then he goes on....whilst putting on his whitey tighties... he says "it's better to have a lifting partner then to do it alone."

I say, "yup". I quickly put on my shoes and get the heck out of there. People like this make me feel violated. I can't stand it when people I don't know try to talk to me in the locker room while changing. I don't know you. You are naked. So please put on some clothes with your mouth closed. If you want to talk to me when i'm not wearing headphones out on the floor, in between sets, that is fine. And definitely don't talk about being a bodybuilding competitor unless you are, or are close to being a bodybuilding competitor...
    LoL a similar thing happened to me in the past too. Lots of gay dudes in locker rooms, particulary if you live in a major city and your gym is "commercial".

Besides, lots of gym rats are just fuked in the head. Don't let go of your earbuds... It pretty much signals to everybody you don't give a chit about interacting socially with them.

MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MidnightSun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by edge131 View Post
    or not washing your hands after you pee/sneeze and then use the equipment...
    agreed but even if most people do don't count on the gym equipment to be bacteria and germ free my friend.... got some bad news.
    Odds are you probably got at one point or another another man's jizz residue on your hands. Sad but true.

JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonSupps is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I found that when I was in a commercial gym, I got more resistant to infections and being sick. Probably being around so many people and germs makes you resistant.
    See all my protein bar reviews at jonsupps.com

Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mitchblue is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Number 1 reason why you need a home gym. These things have been going on since bodybuilding 101. No reason to get upset though..

Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Steron99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great thread.I'm a trainer/attendant at a local Y,have really seen it all.Some of the Greatest Hits include: Obese guy sits on a weight bench-an does a CROSSWORD PUZZLE,woman on leg machine reading a book,not using the machine,people who after a proper orientation on equiptment make up their own exercises-most likely by sitting on the machine BACKWARD,high school guys slam weights and spit on the floor "because Branch Warren does",dumbbell hoarding,etc..So many people on phones,texting,fooling with music-they spend more time on that than getting a workout in.Sorry,but i'm old school,when I workout i'm in the zone.All distractions are left home or locked in the trunk of the car.If you can't take an hour or so away from that stuff to concentrate on getting a good workout in,you should question your workout ethics.Some people wonder why they don't see progress in their builds...Hello !

fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fam62 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with a lot of these but first with a few exceptions: I use the Body Space App on my phone when I workout so in between sets I will log my weights and occasionally send a text. If this only take like a minute, what is the big deal with whipping out my phone? And as for the form thing, I am very new to hitting the gym (only about a month) because before that I was doing at home workout programs. I was very scared to go because I was clueless as to the types of things I should be doing. I did a bunch of research by checking out videos and reading some articles on form and what not so I like to think even though I am new, my form is decent. However, not every person may know about resources like bodybuilding.com so if you see someone with bad form, why not try and help them instead of criticizing them?

Now if people are on their phone and talking to someone while sitting on a bench for like 15 minutes then yeah that is a huge pain and I would get super annoyed. Also, people need to be respectful when others are waiting to use a piece of equipment. Yesterday it was crowded at the gym and this guy was using the cables and I had asked how many more sets he had. He said he was on the last one and afterwards it was all mine. So I waited like a minute and then as he walked away he nodded to me to let me know he was done. But when I turn around and was walking near the machine, some other woman, who had been eyeing me standing there swooped in and took over that piece of equipment. Then, she proceeded to talk on the phone WHILE holding both sets of cables in her hand. I start to walk over to indicate that I had asked to use the cables (which she saw), you she just turned around and started talking to whoever she was talking to about me in Spanish (mind you I am Latino so I understood what she was saying about me). Stuff like that drives me crazy!

Same goes with the noises. Yeah I get that when we are in the zone and working hard sometimes a grunt or some heavy breathing comes out, I know I do it a lot when doing certain exercises. But for the love of god, can you not scream like you are getting murdered or something? Completely unnecessary!

Lastly, the people standing around talking thing. The gym is a social environment, I get it. I am shy so I do not talk much but to each his own. However, when you are standing say at the squat rack chatting for so long that others can't use it, then I will get annoyed. These three teenage guys are just standing around talking at the squat rack while I am waiting to use it for like 10 minutes. Luckily, another one opened up so I went to use that one. Then, once I start squatting a couple of minutes later (after I set everything up), THEN they started squatting and kept looking at me. After that, I finished my four sets. Meanwhile, these teens are still chatting away after having done only that ONE set! I finished two other exercises like 20 minutes later and they were still there. Just wanted to go yell at them like seriously?

Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Mason2202 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Strongly disagree with #1. Sometimes I have to take out my phone to change the song. When I get to the gym, setting up Pandora takes a few minutes.