Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User righteousreason's Avatar
    righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dietary Carbohydrate and Protein Manipulation and Exercise Recovery in Novice Weight-Lifters

LYONEL BENJAMIN1, PETER BLANPIED2, LINDA LAMONT 1

1Energy Metabolism Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology/Exercise Science Program, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island, USA 2Physical Therapy Department, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island, USA.

ABSTRACT

Benjamin L, Blanpied P, Lamont LS. Dietary Carbohydrate and Protein Manipulation and Exercise Recovery in Novice Weight-Lifters. JEPonline 2009;12 (6):33-39. The influence of nutritional status on recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage is poorly understood. Co-ingestion of carbohydrate with ample protein during the first 6 hours of recovery did not augment protein synthesis. Also acutely increasing carbohydrate intake (48-hrs prior to eccentric exercise) had no recovery effect. The purpose of this study was to evaluate 5-days of a dietary carbohydrate/protein manipulation on markers of exercise-induced muscle damage, soreness, and function as well as markers of whole-body protein metabolism. Subjects were randomly assigned to a low carbohydrate (3.4 g/kg), higher protein diet (1.5 g/kg = LOW) or a high carbohydrate (5.0 g/kg), lower protein diet (1.2 g/kg = HIGH). Both diets exceeded the protein RDA. After eccentric exercise muscle soreness, CK, isometric strength, nitrogen retention, and whole-body protein metabolism were determined. LOW had a greater strength loss and lower CK (p < 0.04) after exercise when compared with HIGH. LOW also had a reduced protein turnover, synthesis, and breakdown during recovery (p < 0.01). These findings indicate that dietary carbohydrate, as opposed to protein, may be a more important nutrient to the novice weight lifter when recovering from eccentric exercise-induced muscle damage.

righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000) righteousreason is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Regulation of protein synthesis by insulin.
    Proud CG.

Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of British Columbia, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, Canada V6T 1Z3. cgpr@interchange.ubc.ca
    Abstract
    Insulin rapidly activates protein synthesis by activating components of the translational machinery including eIFs (eukaryotic initiation factors) and eEFs (eukaryotic elongation factors). In the long term, insulin also increases the cellular content of ribosomes to augment the capacity for protein synthesis. The rapid activation of protein synthesis by insulin is mediated primarily through phosphoinositide 3-kinase...

Control of Protein Synthesis by Insulin

Joseph F. Christian and John C. Lawrence, Jr.

The stimulation of protein synthesis is a classic action of insulin...

derp

Physiologic hyperinsulinemia stimulates protein synthesis and enhances transport of selected amino acids in human skeletal muscle.
    Biolo G, Declan Fleming RY, Wolfe RR.

Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston.
    Abstract
    We have investigated the mechanisms of the anabolic effect of insulin on muscle protein metabolism in healthy volunteers, using stable isotopic tracers of amino acids. Calculations of muscle protein synthesis, breakdown, and amino acid transport were based on data obtained with the leg arteriovenous catheterization and muscle biopsy. Insulin was infused (0.15 mU/min per 100 ml leg) into the femoral artery to increase femoral venous insulin concentration (from 10 +/- 2 to 77 +/- 9 microU/ml) with minimal systemic perturbations. Tissue concentrations of free essential amino acids decreased (P < 0.05) after insulin. The fractional synthesis rate of muscle protein (precursor-product approach) increased (P < 0.01) after insulin from 0.0401 +/- 0.0072 to 0.0677 +/- 0.0101%/h. Consistent with this observation, rates of utilization for protein synthesis of intracellular phenylalanine and lysine (arteriovenous balance approach) also increased from 40 +/- 8 to 59 +/- 8 (P < 0.05) and from 219 +/- 21 to 298 +/- 37 (P < 0.08) nmol/min per 100 ml leg, respectively. Release from protein breakdown of phenylalanine, leucine, and lysine was not significantly modified by insulin. Local hyperinsulinemia increased (P < 0.05) the rates of inward transport of leucine, lysine, and alanine, from 164 +/- 22 to 200 +/- 25, from 126 +/- 11 to 221 +/- 30, and from 403 +/- 64 to 595 +/- 106 nmol/min per 100 ml leg, respectively. Transport of phenylalanine did not change significantly. We conclude that insulin promoted muscle anabolism, primarily by stimulating protein synthesis independently of any effect on transmembrane transport.

PMID: 7860765 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Last edited by righteousreason; 09-29-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Originally Posted by Starkk View Post
    if you're going to call people morons, the least you can do is expand on your hypothesis
    happy?

Registered Boss EntropyIncrease's Avatar
    EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Boom.

Shadar, Id like to know those lifts . . . pm brah?

"Don't ask for a lighter load, ask for a stronger back."

If I buy milk from the grocery store and get it home only to realize that the jug is expiring tomorrow...I sure as hell am not driving to punch a farmer in the face and tip his cow over.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by righteousreason View Post
    happy?
    lol. If anyone asks what a PubMed ninja is, I will point them to your last few posts in this thread The need for fast carbz and the insulin spikez have been debunked and beaten to death around here. I suggest you focus on RELEVANT literature instead of posting random **** you've never read nor can even begin to understand

Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    lol. If anyone asks what a PubMed ninja is, I will point them to your last few posts in this thread The need for fast carbz and the insulin spikez have been debunked and beaten to death around here. I suggest you focus on RELEVANT literature instead of posting random **** you've never read nor can even begin to understand
    lol wut. aware me

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    lol strong ninjitsu in here
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

Eat Sleep Lift and Poop Killshot1's Avatar
    Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Killshot1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thegreatone816 View Post
    Going to be stacking size on and super pump together before and during workout. after getting done with my protien shake should i still ingest 50 - 100g of fast digesting carbs with the shake? i'm bout 6'4" 210 lbs im looking to gain as much lean muscle as i can while still shedding some body fat in the precess, im at about 12-13%
    Yeah you should always have fast digesting carbs pwo, my favorites are bananas, blueberries, oats, and well carbs from straight up milk. if your trying to shed some fat i def wouldnt use something like sugar, dextrose, maltodextrin for carbs
    Engineering Master Race

Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Starkk has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Killshot1 View Post
    Yeah you should always have fast digesting carbs pwo, my favorites are bananas, blueberries, oats, and well carbs from straight up milk. if your trying to shed some fat i def wouldnt use something like sugar, dextrose, maltodextrin for carbs
    facepalm.jpg

did you even read the thread? cliffs-

fruit aka fructose is not high enough on the glycemic index to "spike teh insulinz brah"

fast digesting carbs postworkout are unnecessary unless you are a tri-athlete or on the biggest loser being pumped for 6-8 hours at a time by bob and jillian

k thanks and bai
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So, not trying to be an idiot or a "brah" but I am so confused as to what I am supposed to be taking in my post workout shake now besides protein...so many different opinions and I have not led the latest research.

Many places I have been reading suggest fast digesting carbs postworkout for a variety of reasons. Insulin spike, shuttle nutrients to the muscles, etc. along with replacing glycogen stores - which from what I am reading is a moot point because most of us aren't depleting our glycogen stores over a typical 1 hour weights workout. Various popular recommended carb sources include Vitargo, dextrose, sugars, white bread + jelly, etc.

Now it seems like from what a lot of you are saying, the fast carbs postworkout are not necessary and broscience? If so, what should I be using as my postworkout carb source? Do I even NEED a postworkout carb source?

I don't work out like many of you around here - I do more athletic based training, power workouts, endurance exercises, long hikes, biking, etc. but I also do a lot of weight training so...am I doing the wrong thing?
    Current stack (September 2010):

ISS Research Complete Whey Power
    ISS Research Micellar Matrix
    ISS Research Promino Plus
    Universal Animal Omega
    Gaspari Anavite
    Gaspari Superpump MAX
    MPR Amino 4:1:1

Originally Posted by killshot1 View Post
    yeah you should always have fast digesting carbs pwo, my favorites are bananas, blueberries, oats, and well carbs from straight up milk. If your trying to shed some fat i def wouldnt use something like sugar, dextrose, maltodextrin for carbs
    derpa derpa derp

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    negged *******. have anything relevant to add?
    Driven Sports

yup didn't think so.

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is this thread worth reading or is it the typical "you need the insulinz"/"exercise doesn't deplete glycogen AT ALL" roundtable?
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisgrover is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    Is this thread worth reading or is it the typical "you need the insulinz"/"exercise doesn't deplete glycogen AT ALL" roundtable?
    toss in some "your opinion doesn't matter bc I lift more" and you got it...
    -=Sperrys and Polos=-

negged *******. have anything relevant to add?
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

Registered Boss EntropyIncrease's Avatar
    EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000) EntropyIncrease is a name known to all. (+5000)
    "Don't ask for a lighter load, ask for a stronger back."

If I buy milk from the grocery store and get it home only to realize that the jug is expiring tomorrow...I sure as hell am not driving to punch a farmer in the face and tip his cow over.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JerseyShoreMuscle View Post
    bread with jelly or even some gummy bears!
    next time make sure you don't read any of the posts in the 3 page thread and then just respond by copy/pasting an answer from the latest issue of flex magazine
    self-proclaimed huguenot

live, laugh, send nudes

WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000) WarEeyore is just really nice. (+1000)
    thread is good

would read again

RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50) RkyMtnHi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    next time make sure you don't read any of the posts in the 3 page thread and then just respond by copy/pasting an answer from the latest issue of flex magazine
    So can someone please address the question below? Not trying to be dumb, just want to know what I should be doing based on the most recent science which I have not seen...

Originally Posted by RkyMtnHi View Post
    So, not trying to be an idiot or a "brah" but I am so confused as to what I am supposed to be taking in my post workout shake now besides protein...so many different opinions and I have not led the latest research.

Many places I have been reading suggest fast digesting carbs postworkout for a variety of reasons. Insulin spike, shuttle nutrients to the muscles, etc. along with replacing glycogen stores - which from what I am reading is a moot point because most of us aren't depleting our glycogen stores over a typical 1 hour weights workout. Various popular recommended carb sources include Vitargo, dextrose, sugars, white bread + jelly, etc.

Now it seems like from what a lot of you are saying, the fast carbs postworkout are not necessary and broscience? If so, what should I be using as my postworkout carb source? Do I even NEED a postworkout carb source?

I don't work out like many of you around here - I do more athletic based training, power workouts, endurance exercises, long hikes, biking, etc. but I also do a lot of weight training so...am I doing the wrong thing?

Universal Animal Omega
    Gaspari Anavite
    Gaspari Superpump MAX

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RkyMtnHi View Post
    So can someone please address the question below? Not trying to be dumb, just want to know what I should be doing based on the most recent science which I have not seen...

Take protein post workout. If you want to take carbs, which are not necessary for most bodybuilders, then you can take any form of carbs you wish. Simple or complex are both fine. A little fat or fiber post workout is also not going to hinder your gains.

Basically... if you're a typical bodybuilder... your post workout nutrition doesn't really matter very much. Just get some protein in in any form you'd like (doesn't have to be whey even) and you're good. Whole food is just as good as hydrolyzed whey with tons of super duper uber fast carbs.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

Originally Posted by shadar View Post
    Take protein post workout. If you want to take carbs, which are not necessary for most bodybuilders, then you can take any form of carbs you wish. Simple or complex are both fine. A little fat or fiber post workout is also not going to hinder your gains.

Basically... if you're a typical bodybuilder... your post workout nutrition doesn't really matter very much. Just get some protein in in any form you'd like (doesn't have to be whey even) and you're good. Whole food is just as good as hydrolyzed whey with tons of super duper uber fast carbs.

Cool. Long story short - don't overthink it. Eat. Food. Or a protein shake.

Universal Animal Omega
    Gaspari Anavite
    Gaspari Superpump MAX

dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000) dubcplaya069 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Genr8 Vitargo is the best post-workout carbohydrate supplement, period.

#DrivenBlood! JerseyShoreMuscle's Avatar
    JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) JerseyShoreMuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Relax Bro...i was just sayin what i eat after thats all!
    #DrivenBlood!