Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jotaro_Kujo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Golden Ratio Physique

Sup?

I've been a lurking member here and love to read the articles on the supersite, but felt like posting a thread for some advice about my physique goals.

Please skip pass this boring crap if you want to read about my actual goals, it's where the numbers are and stuff. :/

I first started lifting around winter of last year, doing that Rippetoes routine, and got great strength/newbie gains from it, especially in squats and deadlifts, with a 1 rep max around 300 for each.

I have since then stopped doing the strength training and started getting more specific with my physique goals and putting an emphasis on having a lower bodyfat%, because before I just ate as much as possible because I wanted to look like a typical powerlifter competitor.

Right now though, I am becoming a personal trainer, so I am trying to create a more aesthetic and approachable physique so I can attract more clientele, you know how it is!

Basically the Golden ratio is 1.618 something repeating numbers, and is a naturally occuring ratio in nature. I'll save you all the details and say that I am basing my physique off of that.

I read somewhere to base your Golden Ratio measurements on your wrist size, and also found a calculator that tells you what your ideal measurements are, anyhow let me get to this.

Keep in mind I have around 10-12% body fat, and muscles aren't exactly that big, so I'd have to be losing fat and gaining size back so I could be around the same size as now just more muscle definition.

Shoulders CURRENT:47" GOAL: 50.3"
    Waist CURRENT:33 GOAL: 31"

50.3 divided by 31 is 1.622. Pretty much as close as I can get to it without worrying about the small little digits you know?

Thigh CURRENT: 23" GOAL: 24.3"
    Calve CURRENT: 15" GOAL: 15" ....SWEET

24.3 divided by 15 is 1.62

Basically if you get the idea of this whole deal, I am trying to go for a more natural looking physique based on Golden Ratio proportion. One of the most important parts about it is the waist and shoulder ratio because of the v-taper look.

BUT YEAH, if any of you guys out there are familiar with this kind of physique goal, I'd like to hear from you!

Wish me luck on my goals! I fully plan on reaching them, and making fine tunes to get as close to the ratio as possible!

LIF' TIL U PYOOK ~~~~Dx
    Last edited by Jotaro_Kujo; 09-22-2010 at 04:04 AM.

lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lukejacobi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    now i feel inclined to take new measurements

Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not sure about using the fibonachi sequence to actually work out the most aesthetically pleasing ratios, but my goal is to achieve the most aesthetic body I can, and if that means not bulking past 85kg, because my lats can't keep up and I'll look disproportionate, so be it.
    Hey, check it out, baby!

I feel you on the not trying to get bigger when parts are lagging. I have some buds who love to pump up the biceps for example as much as possible, and even though it gets them girls, it still looks weird as **** because their forearms and shoulders just fail in comparison.

DOH!

Consider this, Michelangelo used the Golden Ratio to design the statue of David, which is basically Greek God Status (disregard small penor)

I know a lot of guys here would like to be compared to a Greek God in the physical aspect, so why not carve yourself the way the pro's did with marble back in the day?

I think it's a pretty sweet goal to be honest! Even though the golden ratio technically doesn't look HUGE, it still is really pleasing to the eye, and pretty sexy for the majority of girls.

As much as I'd like to be a muscle bound freak, it ticks me off some women get turned off by bigger guys, so I changed my goals up a bit, also because I think it is more realistic to attain the natural way.

I wonder if IFBB Pros go by this beauty standard principal? That would make a lot of sense considering how sometimes BB competitions seem to be won by a hair, with all the competitors fierce and looking swole, but the victor being the one with the best proportion.

favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    A shoulder to waist ratio of 1.618 to 1 is something almost all naturals can accomplish in time. If you are fortunate enough to have broader than typical shoulders and/or smaller than typical waist, you could surpass that ratio by quite a bit. My shoulder waist ratio is 1.84 to 1, which is a result of fairly broad shoulders for my frame and an extremely small waist, which in the right clothes makes me look like an upside down triangle lol. Steve Reeves is the best natural example I could think of, possessing a shoulder to waist ratio of 1.9 to 1, as pictured below with three other natural bodybuilding legends.

Brian Buchanan immediately comes to mind as a non-natural bodybuilder with a very high shoulder to waist ratio.

A lot of people seem to forget that bodybuilding is not all about pure size (well unless you want to look like many IFBB pros) and many do not realize the importance of this ratio when it comes to achieving either an aesthetic fitness model look or an aesthetic bodybuilder look.
    5/3/1 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137728193

Skinfolds as of 8/29 (taken w/ SlimGuide calipers):
    Pectoral - 3.5 mm
    Abdominal - 4.5 mm
    Thigh - 4.5 mm

Skinfolds as of 1/23 (taken w/ SlimGuide calipers):
    Pectoral - 3 mm
    Abdominal - 4.5 mm
    Thigh - 3.5 mm

sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000)

This guy.

favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sushi362 View Post

This guy.
    JamerJay ftw. He has a very small waist for his height.
    5/3/1 Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137728193

Skinfolds as of 8/29 (taken w/ SlimGuide calipers):
    Pectoral - 3.5 mm
    Abdominal - 4.5 mm
    Thigh - 4.5 mm

Skinfolds as of 1/23 (taken w/ SlimGuide calipers):
    Pectoral - 3 mm
    Abdominal - 4.5 mm
    Thigh - 3.5 mm

sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000) sushi362 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by favori12 View Post
    JamerJay ftw. He has a very small waist for his height.
    He isn't that heavy either. 190-200 is a good goal, lean for tall guys.

StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jotaro_Kujo View Post

Thigh CURRENT: 23" GOAL: 24.3"
    Calve CURRENT: 15" GOAL: 15" ....SWEET

24.3 divided by 15 is 1.62
    lol..... I'm pretty sure the greek god ratio of calve to leg is less than 1.62

Having a ratio larger than 1.618 would be against my physique goals. To be honest, it looks really bad ass to have a small waist and huge upper body like Steve Reeves, I think he had a really good idea for his proportions going, but it just simply is not what I am going for.

This guy.
    Sweet JAYSUS ^This Guy RIGHT HERE^

Not exactly huge, but definitely Greek God Statue Worthy, definitely the type of look I am going for!

My whole idea about the ratio is that if you base your proportions off of a ratio that occurs in the shape of plants, animals, even the shape of cell phones, posters and pieces of paper are shaped like a golden rectangle, it is most pleasing to others that see you to see a body based on that ratio.

Ghost Reps for anyone that can find Jay's actual body measurements to compare to the Fibb Sequence!
    Last edited by Jotaro_Kujo; 09-22-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roman_God is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    RomanGod Jupiter > GreekGod Zeus

js

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Unfortunately I'm a guy with a fairly thick waist and narrow shoulders, although as my physique changes I'm sure I'll appear to broaden out. That said, must be good having a naturally broad shoulder to waist ratio, and knowing that you can expand it even more. Good luck OP, hope you get what you want.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love this concept, but shouldn't you also consider your height? A 1.62 ratio across someone that is only 4' tall is going to look goofy, and at the opposite end - if you were 9' tall you would hardly notice.

Just thinking out loud here.....

Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Manbean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    I love this concept, but shouldn't you also consider your height? A 1.62 ratio across someone that is only 4' tall is going to look goofy, and at the opposite end - if you were 9' tall you would hardly notice.

I completely agree with you. Does anyone have any thoughts here?

IMO, if you're shorter, go for the smaller waistline?

jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimo5593 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Roman_God View Post
    RomanGod Jupiter > GreekGod Zeus

js

Jesus Christ you say s**t like this everytime someone mentions "Greek gods" everytime f**king time. The Romans copied almost everything from the Greeks including the gods. If it wasnt for Greek influence there would be no Rome. Just saying. Looking swole though
    "I do now what others won't - so I can have later what others can't."

"Errbody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no HEAVY ASS WEIGHT!" - Ronnie Coleman

clm5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clm5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think its a fantastic idea OP. Good luck man, I hope you achieve your goals.

Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Technium has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've noticed a quite high calve:quad and forearm:upper arm ratio in all the old statues, compared to the huge biceps and relatively small forearms on todays bodybuilders.
    Hit those forearms and calves.
    Hey, check it out, baby!

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    One of the gayest threads I've ever read.

StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000) StevenNevets is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pretty much

This should be a norm on here.

This should be a norm on here.
    This thread takes it to a new level.

It's like me saying that I want to focus on getting my barbell bench to be exactly 3.141592 times greater than my DB curl or some **** like that

it's ****ing stupid

This thread takes it to a new level.

It's like me saying that I want to focus on getting my barbell bench to be exactly 3.141592 times greater than my DB curl or some **** like that

it's ****ing stupid
    you have no sense of aesthetics
    every thread on the subject makes you rage.

shoulders too big look like a kite or something
    shoulders too narrow look like a bean pole

Originally Posted by StevenNevets View Post
    you have no sense of aesthetics
    every thread on the subject makes you rage.

shoulders too big look like a kite or something
    shoulders too narrow look like a bean pole
    Okay Steven.

Okay Steven.

pics of kite-like man with shoulders too large?

pics of kite-like man with shoulders too large?

looks fine to me

but even if there was something wrong with that, the problem is quite easy to remedy

looks fine to me

but even if there was something wrong with that, the problem is quite easy to remedy
    I figured it would considering you follow and aspire to ifbb status from what I've seen.

IFBB strives off extremes, complete different perception of physiques.

If someone had legs as big as their waist I bet your crowd would be mirin where as mine would think that looks goofy as ****.

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post

I base my measurements off of stuff that fluctuates little, like the size of my head to neck, or the size of my wrist.

If you used a ratio on a different height person, they would look proportionally the same, just be a different size.

Look up the definition of proportion before you say that that would look unproportional, to use the same proportion ratio and get different proportion.

Definitely Tenchium! I work forearms quite a bit to keep up, captains of crush are pretty baller. I got to close a number 1 finally, and have been doing good with keeping the arms proportionate.

Calves I have been looking for something new though. I mainly get my calve workouts from stationary bikan on my tip toes, and from the leg press.

As far as Kaos disregarding proportion, I submit that you start cycling and work nothing but hamstrings and traps. Neglect every other muscle.

As a matter of fact, make sure you work out dem 2 muscle groups at least 2 times a week at high volume. Come back and show us dat killer physique! I'm looking forward to it mang!

Man don't let people get to you, of course proportion doesn't matter, it's all about just looking like a big mean freak no matter what! You can always vice grip the haters with your legs with that mean bean hamstring!

*eats cottage cheese*