NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting Strength and Conditioning

I am about to start the starting strength workout and have a question about conditioning. I am doing the program as my off season workout for Rugby League as i want to get stronger and change my body composition. I am 107kgs,i am not sure of my bf% but its only my stomach and backside that i need to lose the fat from. The rest of body is pretty lean. I wanted to add one day conditioning so that when i go back to pre season training next january i am not struggling and coming last in all the training exercises as i usually do.
    I work a 4 on 4 off roster so i was planning on lifting 3 days out of the 8 day cycle and doing one day off 400m sprints
    My schedule would look something like this

Day 1 Day Shift OFF
    Day 2 Day Shift OFF
    Day 3 Night Shift Weight Training
    Day 4 Night Shift OFF
    Day 5 Day Off Weight Training
    Day 6 Day Off OFF
    Day 7 Day Off Weight Training
    Day 8 Day Off 400m sprints

What do you guys think? Would this work ok or if i plan on doing conditioning work would i be better off with a program like WS4SB.
    Cheers

Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NorseBeast View Post
    I am about to start the starting strength workout and have a question about conditioning. I am doing the program as my off season workout for Rugby League as i want to get stronger and change my body composition. I am 107kgs,i am not sure of my bf% but its only my stomach and backside that i need to lose the fat from. The rest of body is pretty lean. I wanted to add one day conditioning so that when i go back to pre season training next january i am not struggling and coming last in all the training exercises as i usually do.
    I work a 4 on 4 off roster so i was planning on lifting 3 days out of the 8 day cycle and doing one day off 400m sprints
    My schedule would look something like this

Day 1 Day Shift OFF
    Day 2 Day Shift OFF
    Day 3 Night Shift Weight Training
    Day 4 Night Shift OFF
    Day 5 Day Off Weight Training
    Day 6 Day Off OFF
    Day 7 Day Off Weight Training
    Day 8 Day Off 400m sprints

What do you guys think? Would this work ok or if i plan on doing conditioning work would i be better off with a program like WS4SB.
    Cheers
    I know nothing about WS4SB, but SS will work out very well for you. The 400M sprints will be a little rough either before or after your heavy squating days, but proper warmups/stretching should insure that you don't wreck your self.

BTW, expect to get some flak for wanting to do sprints during SS....its "against the rules".
    Fierce Five log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172189533&p=1457532133

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Cheap5.0 View Post
    I know nothing about WS4SB, but SS will work out very well for you. The 400M sprints will be a little rough either before or after your heavy squating days, but proper warmups/stretching should insure that you don't wreck your self.

BTW, expect to get some flak for wanting to do sprints during SS....its "against the rules".
    No it’s not against the rules. In the book Mark says to do sports specific cardio. Just make sure you aren’t doing so much you stop making gains.

Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    No it’s not against the rules. In the book Mark says to do sports specific cardio. Just make sure you aren’t doing so much you stop making gains.
    Ill have to go back and read it, but i am pretty sure its very restricted. I dont know what OP is planning to do with 400M sprints, but if its to get quicker that will probably go against the SS mantra.
    Fierce Five log:

NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies guys.The 400m sprint idea came from an article called running man by Christian Thibadeau over at T Nation. Its just 400m sprints done as fast as possible. It starts off as 2 sprints with 120 seconds rest between sprints in week 1 and builds up to 5 by with only 90 seconds rest by week 8.

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the replies guys.The 400m sprint idea came from an article called running man by Christian Thibadeau over at T Nation. Its just 400m sprints done as fast as possible. It starts off as 2 sprints with 120 seconds rest between sprints in week 1 and builds up to 5 by with only 90 seconds rest by week 8.
    how many times a week?

Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    how many times a week?
    Only 1.

Sounds like a plan, but i will say this now...good luck with the sprints after a nice heavy dead/squat day lol. Its not impossible, but i would have a hard time sprinting all out after dead day.
    Fierce Five log:

Originally Posted by Cheap5.0 View Post
    Sounds like a plan, but i will say this now...good luck with the sprints after a nice heavy dead/squat day lol. Its not impossible, but i would have a hard time sprinting all out after dead day.
    The other option i have would be to do the sprints on day 2 the day before my first workout.

BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50) BdaGolfer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about Day 1? That would give you a day either side of squatting days...

Alan

Originally Posted by BdaGolfer View Post
    What about Day 1? That would give you a day either side of squatting days...

Alan
    Thanks for the reply. Would training every other day with consecutive rest days be a problem?

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do your sprints.. but don't let it interfere with the program ..
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you considered sled dragging? Its a great way to improve your work capacity and it doesnt negativly impact on your weight training. This far out from your next season i am not sure if you want to be doing to much high intensity sprinting work. Weight training and GPP would be ideal at this stage of your training. If sled work isnt an option look into tempo running.

Originally Posted by Mr Armageddon View Post
    Have you considered sled dragging? Its a great way to improve your work capacity and it doesnt negativly impact on your weight training. This far out from your next season i am not sure if you want to be doing to much high intensity sprinting work. Weight training and GPP would be ideal at this stage of your training. If sled work isnt an option look into tempo running.
    I agree with this, IME i can whip my self into running/sprinting shape in about a month...but building strength take much more time.

I would love to do some sleds if i was in any running sports that required burst energy.
    Fierce Five log:

cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cameron0106 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Your plan sounds pretty solid, I have done starting strength with lifting on MWF and conditioning on Tuesday. Its rough, but if you are making progress with your lifts, then you are doing good. Make sure you are eating a ton and getting plenty of sleep.

I'll second that sled dragging. Sled dragging is great, even if you just load it up with weight and walk.

Something to keep in mind is that strength is hard to gain, but easy to maintain. And while conditioning is easy to lose, it is also easy to gain back. What I tell people to do, depending on where you are in your year, is that during most of the off season, just forget about your conditioning for the most part, one day per week should be good, but don't go overboard. Then when you get 1-2 months out from the season, focus on strength maintanence and get your conditioning levels up. To maintain strength, you only need to do a few sets of core lifts, a couple days a week. Like Squat monday, Deadlift Wednesday, and Press Friday, that will provide you with the time and energy to bring up your conditioning.

About WS4SB, it is a great program. At least you should read everything Joe DeFranco writes, because the man is a genius.
    www.pattersonstrength.com

Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cameron0106 View Post
    About WS4SB, it is a great program. At least you should read everything Joe DeFranco writes, because the man is a genius.
    this x2

I reckon for the op goals the WS4SB program is the best tool for the job. The combination of max strength work and rep work allows you to increase strength aswell as gain lean mass and having one lower body day per week allows you to work on other aspects such as conditioning. OP your plan looks good but i would definatly have a good hard look at defrancos stuff before starting out.

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    Do your sprints.. but don't let it interfere with the program ..
    This.
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do ws4sb

it should work better for your goals

especially is your 107kg with not much fat. SS would be better if you were 57kg with not much fat
    i dont compete against you. i compete against myself yesterday, last week, last year

No one system of training is better than all of the other systems. However, proper training always involves common elements. These are hard work, abbreviated training programs, progression, good form, and motivation - Brooks Kubik