Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

19 Stone 6lbs 6ft overweight need advice

Hey guys,

So i'm new to these forums, but it looks like a great place to post my situation and hopefully I can get some good solid avdice here.

Currently i'm far too overweight, i'm 19 stone 6lbs (272lbs) and a little under 6ft tall. I'm 30 years old.

I'm not afraid to show my body here, as I will be changing it over time I just want you guys to see just how overweight I am. Also I would like it to serve as a good before and after pic. Pics are attachments at the bottom of my post.

I really dont like my body how it is at the moment, my bum and stomach area are the worst as you can see.

The pics ware taken when I was actually a bit lighter at 262lbs around 10 months ago, I started to diet and then failed.

I want to know if i'm doing things right, here is an explaination of how I currently am working on loosing the fat;

My exercise

I work 5 days a week mon-fri, I walk to work which takes around 20 minutes each way 40 minutes total there and back. I work as a cleaner part time for 1.5 hours mon-fri, so i'm moving about for 1.5 hours a day plus the walking.

My Diet

Before I started my diet and the reason I became so fat, was due to eating the usual crap such as chocolate, takeaways, pizza etc etc.

Here is what I eat now in a typical day:

I drink 2-3 pints of water a day

Breakfast - Cereal, I have Kellogs Bran flakes with skimmed milk or special K, and a muller vitality pre and pro biotic yoghat drink, also I have some goji berries (good antitoxidant)

Lunch - Usually 2 eggs, granary bread and low fat butter or a ham and leittuice sandwich or low salt and sugar beans on toast

Dinner - Whatever my girlfriend tends to cook me, usually chicken, veg and chips or something along those lines, I try to keep it as healthy as possible but I would like to know what Dinners I could eat that are good. Sometimes I will just have low sugar and salt beans on granary toast.

I also have vitamin supplements, I take 1000mg vitamin c, a vitamin b complex, potassium, magnesium and lately i've also added a 'superfood' acai berry supplements which are supposed to be very good for antitoxidans and for to promote weight loss.

So my question is this, how's my diet and exercise for my weight and what should I change, if anything? I'm far too overweight and I want to get down to at least 16 stone (my first goal). I dont want to overdo it as I tend to feel faint quite easy exercising too much or not eating enough so i'm looking for steady, gradual weight loss.

I stuck to this routine all last week and only managed to loose 1lb, which I was quite dissapointed at. Maybe i'm doing something wrong? I could incorporate weights but i'd only put more weight on right?

Advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Empathic; 09-20-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ninetysix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The stickies will be a good place to start reading. Figure out your maintenance calories and eat 500-1k Less.

drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000) drewott is just really nice. (+1000)
    Empathic, good work deciding to make the change.

Do some research, check out the stickies and get informed about the process.

You have a lot of guess words in your diet description, make those into absolutes. You should know exactly what you eat each day and exactly what is in each thing (cals/carbs/protein/fat) and keep track of that.

Your exercise regiment sounds more like what you have to do to get to work and back. Walking is good, but you can do more. Specifically lifting weights, and lifting heavy weights. Since you say you faint easily from overexertion or undereating I expect you have some sort of malady and should see a doctor before you start a workout program, but don't use that as an excuse to not exercise.

Good luck,

-Drew

Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Empathic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

So I created an account on Fitday, and put in exactly what I have eaten today.

My stats are attached

I've only been consuming around 1,300-1,500 calories a day, 1372 today. My BMR is 2470.96.

From reading the how to lose fat sticky (very good by the way) I should be eating around twice as much considering my body weight! However, by eating less than 1,500 calories a day and walking 40 minutes plus physical work for 1.5 hours a day shouldnt the weight be dropping off considering i'm 19 stone 7lbs? I guess i'm undereating, I havnt being doing weights - is that the key?

Thanks
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Empathic; 09-20-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep an eye on macro nutrients, you need to be getting the right amount of protein... that and lifting should help stave off muscle loss, as well as encourage your metabolism.

As you can see from my graph attached above my distribution based on todays food has been: 37% fat, 35% carbs and 28% protein; is that good?

Is it dangerous to only be eating 1300-1500 calories a day when my BMR is over 1k more? That's before exercise... :O
    Last edited by Empathic; 09-20-2010 at 10:21 AM.

daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey OP, how accurate are those measurements for the calorie count?? that seems WAY to low considering your size now and the amount of food you would require to keep you there. I would imagine you to be starving at 1500cal

Right now i've measured and calorie counted based on what's on the box and i'm at around 2000cal. I exercise 5-6 time a week, heavy cardio on the elliptical plus weights afterwards. I am seeing noticeable results. I was 190lb around may '10, now im about 181lb.

I used online bmr/calorie calculators, for 5-11, 181lb, 6x a week gym, my calorie intake to maintaine should be ~3300... but considering i eat ~2000/day and i probably burn off around 350-400 at the gym, i am seeing the steady decline that the numbers indicate.

my key points were: consistency, NO EATING OUT. Yes, leave one meal for that social outing and enjoy it, but other than that, ONLY EAT AT HOME. I dont drink sodas, empty calroies (fruit juices are almost in the same category).

Some stuff i did that you don't have to do: i cut out all meats except for deli stuff like sliced turkey (trying to cut saturated fats, etc). I added salmon/fish 3x a week for dinner.

I hope these tips help. I do recommend you add weights. if you are unfamiliar, recruit a trainer. Lifting will help shape your body, so you will notice your clothes feeling looser even if the scale is saying you haven't made progress.

markbaugus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

calorie count

I think you need to bring you calorie count up a little. I started off at 262 and am 6ft tall. I have been consuming 2150 a day for months. Started this past December and overall have averaged about 1 pound a week.

If you go to low to quickly your body could actually retain more fat thinking it is starving. While doing so you could loose muscle mass which is the exact opposite of what you want. The more muscle mass you loose the lower your motabalism becomes makeing it harder to loose the unwanted fat. You want to gain muscle mass while you loose the body fat. May take longer in the short term, however the benifits are worth it.

Originally Posted by daedalus34r View Post
    hey OP, how accurate are those measurements for the calorie count?? that seems WAY to low considering your size now and the amount of food you would require to keep you there. I would imagine you to be starving at 1500cal

Right now i've measured and calorie counted based on what's on the box and i'm at around 2000cal. I exercise 5-6 time a week, heavy cardio on the elliptical plus weights afterwards. I am seeing noticeable results. I was 190lb around may '10, now im about 181lb.

I used online bmr/calorie calculators, for 5-11, 181lb, 6x a week gym, my calorie intake to maintaine should be ~3300... but considering i eat ~2000/day and i probably burn off around 350-400 at the gym, i am seeing the steady decline that the numbers indicate.

my key points were: consistency, NO EATING OUT. Yes, leave one meal for that social outing and enjoy it, but other than that, ONLY EAT AT HOME. I dont drink sodas, empty calroies (fruit juices are almost in the same category).

Some stuff i did that you don't have to do: i cut out all meats except for deli stuff like sliced turkey (trying to cut saturated fats, etc). I added salmon/fish 3x a week for dinner.

I hope these tips help. I do recommend you add weights. if you are unfamiliar, recruit a trainer. Lifting will help shape your body, so you will notice your clothes feeling looser even if the scale is saying you haven't made progress.
    Well they are as accurate as it can be as far as I am aware, I put in exactly what I have been eating which today consists of:

Bran flakes with skimmed milk: 224 calories
    2 Boiled Eggs and 2 slices of wholemeal bread: 300 calories
    75 grams of Pistachio nuts: 427 calories
    Piri Piri chicken with wedges and broccoli: 536 calories

Also I do have a good ammount of vitamin supplements, 1000mg vitamin C and B, some potassium and magnesium capsules and Acai Berry supplement.

That is exactly what I have eaten today, and I had a 40 minute walk and worked cleaning for 1.5 hours and I feel fine. Something doesn't add up here, I should be starving like you say considering my weight. I feel lightheaded sometimes, but I dont feel hungry all the time.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Empathic; 09-20-2010 at 12:42 PM.

daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50) daedalus34r will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    me thinks is if you add in some serious cardio and weights, you will start to get hungry. Gradually up the food intake with healthy goods. This will help fuel your work outs. Adding in weights , from what i've read and experienced, tells your body that it wants to hold onto the muscle so the calorie deficit will then target the fat.

Ok guys so what ratio should I be aiming for with Fat/Protein/Carbs? From todays food, it's at 37% fat, 35% carbs and 28% protein.

I'm 271 lbs, 6ft tall.

TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50) TehVoot will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool

You need a lot more protein ratio there buddy, start lifting weights and get around 160-200 grams of protein in per day bro, if you can I'd suggest buying some whey protein.

Already got some whey protein man, very good stuff I actually love the taste of it! I have it with skimmed milk.

Thanks, i'll aim to up my protein intake - perhaps have some in the morning, lunch and dinner times.

I joined up at a gym tonight, and I have my induction tommorow - looking forward to it!