bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How can i maintain my muscle mass while im injured

Hi Guys

Think i might have a small tear in my rotator cuff due to neglecting it during 5 years of lifting. I will be having an MRI soon to find out so fingers crossed its not too serious.

I am wondering if there is anything i can do to maintain as much muscle mass as possible whilst resting and recovering the injured area. I will still do legs (exept squats and deadlifts due to pressure on shoulders) Abs abd Cardio and i was thinking of still working the opposite side with lighter weights. Also maybe taking Creatine as well as iv heard good things about this helping to maintain and obviously keeping a high protein, clean diet.

Anyone been in this position with a rotator cuff or any upper body injury for that matter and managed to maintain a bit of mass?

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks

ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ssmith41 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry to hear about a RC issue. Those can be difficult so I hope that yours isn't too serious. I spent roughly 6 months lifting while I needed a mumford procedure on the AC Joint in my shoulder. The docs really only said to avoid overhead presses and bench press altogther. Otherwise, I was free to do the rest of my lifting program. I did however significantly reduce the weight as to not put any unncessary stress on the joint or surrounding muscles. I think it is possible to retain mass with that type of injury but my best advice would be to lower the weight and up the reps because really trying to lift heavy could put enough stress on the injured area to cause further damage.

kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been there tore my RC on the right side. I rehabed it back myself it took me a while I did lose some size. I trained around the injury and did my best not to aggrivate the injury. Creatine/Glutanime lots of protein good multy vitamins is the baseline of course. it all depends on how severe it is. I was lucky. Slowly brought it back light stretching and massages did help. I remember at one point I could not even raise my raight arm over 70 degrees up. But its all good now. Mind you I havent benched 540 ever sinced. I am stuck at 500lbs. lol

I was wieghing around 280 at the time then 8 months later back shoulder was normal and I was weighing around 265 so not huge weight lost, but for sure not unoticed. Better now then never take it one day at a time. Due what you must to get back in the game. Going forward after you heal up you will for sure be extra cautious when training that I guarantee.

All the best Bro!
    "Your only as strong as your weakest link"

Raw Bench: 500lbs
    Raw Deadlift: 635lbs
    Raw Squat 655lbs
    Military press 315lbs/2 reps

bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigoat10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by kraven View Post
    I have been there tore my RC on the right side. I rehabed it back myself it took me a while I did lose some size. I trained around the injury and did my best not to aggrivate the injury. Creatine/Glutanime lots of protein good multy vitamins is the baseline of course. it all depends on how severe it is. I was lucky. Slowly brought it back light stretching and massages did help. I remember at one point I could not even raise my raight arm over 70 degrees up. But its all good now. Mind you I havent benched 540 ever sinced. I am stuck at 500lbs. lol

I was wieghing around 280 at the time then 8 months later back shoulder was normal and I was weighing around 265 so not huge weight lost, but for sure not unoticed. Better now then never take it one day at a time. Due what you must to get back in the game. Going forward after you heal up you will for sure be extra cautious when training that I guarantee.

All the best Bro!
    Thanks for both replies. Makes me feel better knowing others have been through it and done well and maintained. Can i just ask what was the pain like in both of your injuries. Mine is not too severe but constant! Also roughly how long did it take you after the injury/surgery until you were lifting any sort of light weight again? The fear of being a skinny freak again is too much for me to take. Ha!!

kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10) kraven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bigoat10 View Post
    Thanks for both replies. Makes me feel better knowing others have been through it and done well and maintained. Can i just ask what was the pain like in both of your injuries. Mine is not too severe but constant! Also roughly how long did it take you after the injury/surgery until you were lifting any sort of light weight again? The fear of being a skinny freak again is too much for me to take. Ha!!
    I hear you. The pain for me felt like having a knife stuck in my shoulder and upper arm the whole time and all the time. I kept having to keep my arm as close to me as possible and did my bet not to move it for a while.
    "Your only as strong as your weakest link"

Raw Bench: 500lbs
    Raw Deadlift: 635lbs
    Raw Squat 655lbs
    Military press 315lbs/2 reps