Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Any experience with developmental disabilities?

I will be assisting a teacher who teaches a developmental disabilities class with the training of a group of at needs adults, whose disabilities all differ. I will be showing students how to train the at needs people to use the equipment they will be under my supervision the whole time. My goal for the clients is to get hem out of their comfort zone which is the treadmill and getting them moving around the gym trying out different equipment.

This is my first time working with at needs adults and I'm wondering besides hearing, sight and biomechanical problems they may have what are some things i may need to know? Such as some problems I may run into?

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Hercules1990 View Post
    I will be assisting a teacher who teaches a developmental disabilities class with the training of a group of at needs adults, whose disabilities all differ. I will be showing students how to train the at needs people to use the equipment they will be under my supervision the whole time. My goal for the clients is to get hem out of their comfort zone which is the treadmill and getting them moving around the gym trying out different equipment.

This is my first time working with at needs adults and I'm wondering besides hearing, sight and biomechanical problems they may have what are some things i may need to know? Such as some problems I may run into?
    They are used to being able to convince people to do stuff for them, make them actually do something they are capable of doing. (putting pins in and out of the weight stacks stuff like that you know)
    Tie your shoes = ready for anything

Too Tough To Die

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sounds intuitive but keep the floor clean and uncludered.
    Pacience on your part is big. many of the people will be intemidated by the equipment and may have zero experiance in that enviroment.
    Not sure how to phrase properly but try to be creative their disability may prefent them from doing traditional excersices properly or comftably

Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hercules1990 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    sounds intuitive but keep the floor clean and uncludered.
    Pacience on your part is big. many of the people will be intemidated by the equipment and may have zero experiance in that enviroment.
    Not sure how to phrase properly but try to be creative their disability may prefent them from doing traditional excersices properly or comftably

very good experience today worked with 2 groups of 13 people for 35 mins for each group. There were a wide range of disabilities but the one thing i did we did occomplish well was getting them moving around trying new things.

i had two students who i showed how to do certain things and then they showed the people how to do it which was
    also nice.

i gget them all again next week for 35 mins each group.

one of them kept calling me jessica which was funny but he was very hard working and motivated! and i did encounter one very lazy student.

overall it was a great session

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I forgot one thing you might think about doing is having your students and you where a vest like the parking attendents do. When I was doing my hours in college with special populations we had to where one. We also had a hand signal that only we knew incase we needed help fast. The vest allows you to spot your students and they can spot you incase they need help it also keeps the other clients from know someone is in trouble and getting nervouse.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    I forgot one thing you might think about doing is having your students and you where a vest like the parking attendents do. When I was doing my hours in college with special populations we had to where one. We also had a hand signal that only we knew incase we needed help fast. The vest allows you to spot your students and they can spot you incase they need help it also keeps the other clients from know someone is in trouble and getting nervouse.
    good idea on the hand signal but the vest wont be needed its a small well tiny gym everyone is in my sites