qcbaseball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fast Digesting Carbs Post Workout

Hey I have heard dozens of times with brief explanations that you should have a fast digesting carb with your protein post-workout. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a real explanation rather than just "thats what your supposed to do". Also, would drinking a gatorade suffice? Would eating a few cookies? Slice of white bread?

kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000) kfairhurst is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by qcbaseball View Post
    Hey I have heard dozens of times with brief explanations that you should have a fast digesting carb with your protein post-workout. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a real explanation rather than just "thats what your supposed to do". Also, would drinking a gatorade suffice? Would eating a few cookies? Slice of white bread?
    This has been beaten to death 100x, it doesn't matter if it is fast digesting/slow, high gi/low. A few hours pwo, glycogen replenishment will be the same. Cookies are generally higher in fats though, bread, oats, cereal, gatorade and even a small amount of fruit is a good choice. Hit your macros however you can.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile

Robbie Durand wrote on interesting artilce in the current Muscular Development magazine about post workout carbs.

To make a long story short: 2 groups . Group A got 30g carbs + 20g EAA's & Group B got 90g Carbs & 20g EAA's post workout.

Conclusion: changes in protein sysnthesis were due to changes in the EAA's, while only moderate (30g) dose of carbs is needed (no difference in protein synthesis between 30g vs 90g carb groups) post workout.

OP the moral of the story is just get some carbs into your system with protein post workout. Try to eat as clean as possible if you can.

Hope this helps

Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Fitzwell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kfairhurst View Post
    This has been beaten to death 100x, it doesn't matter if it is fast digesting/slow, high gi/low. A few hours pwo, glycogen replenishment will be the same. Cookies are generally higher in fats though, bread, oats, cereal, gatorade and even a small amount of fruit is a good choice. Hit your macros however you can.
    Good post and agree.

OP, Your post-wo shake/meal should be in line with your macro goals. Some of my boys would slam 100 g post-wo when they were only allotted 150 g for the day, never made much sense to me.

qcbaseball has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    Robbie Durand wrote on interesting artilce in the current Muscular Development magazine about post workout carbs.

To make a long story short: 2 groups . Group A got 30g carbs + 20g EAA's & Group B got 90g Carbs & 20g EAA's post workout.

Conclusion: changes in protein sysnthesis were due to changes in the EAA's, while only moderate (30g) dose of carbs is needed (no difference in protein synthesis between 30g vs 90g carb groups) post workout.

OP the moral of the story is just get some carbs into your system with protein post workout. Try to eat as clean as possible if you can.

Hope this helps
    this is more what i am concerned with than glycogen storage. i work out once a day and do not do much distance running or anything else that would completely deplete my glycogen stores. i was more interested in the role of carbs with protein synthesis.
    My PWO shake is optimum nutrition and says it has plenty of BCAAs, I cant remember from my classes what the difference between essential amino acids and non-essential amino acids are, so if you could refresh my memory i would really appreciate it... also would the BCAAs im getting from the shake cover my EAA needs or are they separate?

sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sixthsense is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I always drink a BCAA/glutamine drink WHILE I am training. Immediately post workout I have whey + carbs in a ratio of 1:2 when adding size and 1:1 when cutting. When adding size I do best with faster carbs like white rice and when cutting I use oatmeal most often.

This has always worked wonders for myself and my clientele.
    *CEO B Built International
    *Head of Social Media/Online Marketing/PR @ All American Pharmaceutical
    *Columnist for Iron Man, Natural Muscle and Muscleandfitness.com
    *Creator of the P/RR/S, FDF/FS and O-BEY-6 Training Systems
    *Trainer/Prep Coach to Athletes Globally

"Limits can be discussed, but in no way need be obeyed."