Modern Day Samurai shotgunshorty28's Avatar
    shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chicken Breasts (Proper Way to Prepare Them)

What's the best way to prepare chicken breasts? It's probably a no brainer, but the last time I try to bake them solo, it ended up with a bad stomach virus for days. What temperature do I preheat my oven for? Also, how long do I keep it there without getting to dry or burnt for that matter? Finally, how do I prevent the dryness after about a few days or so?
    You jagaloons! You're failures! FAILURES!
    Hey, you're embarrassing yourself, you geriatric ****!
    Two things: You keep your liver-spotted hands off my beautiful mother. She's a saint! And then you sit down and you write Dale and Brennan a check for $10,000.
    Or I'm gonna shove one of those fake hearing devices so far up your ass...
    ...you can hear the sound of your small intestine as it produces ****!

www.twitter.com/shotgunshorty28

Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Notorious BIG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I boil my chicken. I chop it up into a few pieces so it can be cooked through evenly and its faster to cook than one mass of chicken. I really go by eye, I look to see if it looks done. I will then take a piece out and cut it open to see if it indeed is.

Hope I helped

dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dabears8273 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gforbes28 View Post
    What's the best way to prepare chicken breasts? It's probably a no brainer, but the last time I try to bake them solo, it ended up with a bad stomach virus for days. What temperature do I preheat my oven for? Also, how long do I keep it there without getting to dry or burnt for that matter? Finally, how do I prevent the dryness after about a few days or so?
    Put the chicken breasts on the bbq and monitor them to make sure you don't burn them, they will be moist and delicious! A little bbq sauce on them is a great meal....for me anyways
    Bears ~ Bulls ~ Blackhawks ~ White Sox

xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10) xHylios55x is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i usually bbq mine too. cook em on each side for 2 min or so and just keep flipping em so they dont burn or dry out. i cook around 5-6 breasts at a time and eat 1 or 2 for the meal im going to have n ziplock the rest or put em in a rubbermaid container.

everyone knows they tend to get like jerkey after a few days in the fridge so a good way to make sure their still good n moist when u reheat them is cut it into squares/slices and put some kind of sauce on it for flavor (i use masterpeice bbq) then wrap it in foil and reheat in a toaster-oven....or a microwave (w/o the foil). does the trick for me.

Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000) Darthn3ss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    depending on size /qty 350-400* for 10-15 miniutes

Get a meat thermometer if you're worried about getting sick. cook them to 165-170* internally. After a while you'll generally be able to "tell" when the chicken is done just by looking at the middle. Should be all white and yummy looking.

jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasonv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i buy organic chicken breasts, but they still tend to be thicker.

i set the oven to 400 and cook 1-4 breasts for 24-28 minutes, based solely on the thickness. i used to cut into the thickest one and check for the undercookedness, but i don't really have to do that anymore.

do this 4-5x per week for a few weeks and you'll get it down.

i prefer montreal chicken spices, but i have about 4-5 different no-salt chicken spice mixes.

cook in the evening, ziploc and fridge overnight, it's fine over brown rice nuked at work the next day.

peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Invest 20-30 dollars in an instant read thermometer. No matter what way you cook it stab the thermometer into the fattest part and when it reads 160F take the chicken out and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes (sometimes I forget and let it sit a little longer). This allows the temperature to round out to about 170 and the juices to stop moving. This helps produce the juiciest possible breast. Locking in the juices so that when you reheat it, its still somewhat juicy.

As for leg and dark meat you can easily cook it up to 170 let it rest or cook it to 180, some say its safer but I refuse to believe that. The easiest way to check without a thermometer is to pierce it with a sharp knife and see if the juices run clear. These steps are the safest and easiest ways to get a healthy juicy chicken.

You can grill it (medium for 7 minutes a side [my grill is super hot though]) bake (I prefer the hot and fast 425F for 15 minutes) boil or fry (sautee with some oil).
    Kaizen

Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brian94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's what I DO, to make beautiful delicious healthy chicken breasts...

1) Buy boneless, skinless, thin-sliced chicken breasts. They cook really fast.
    2) Buy a not-too-tall pan or skillet with a cover (cover is important).
    3) If you are worried about viruses and/or cannot estimate good cook times: buy a $5 basic temperature reader for meat/poultry.
    4) Olive Oil rub your chicken and cut out big chunks of fat (if you want). Season your chicken (I use mrs.dash garlic/herb/tomato + onion powder + garlic powder + black pepper + some salt + tiny pinch of ginger powder [optional: sometimes drizzling a dash of Italian or Japanese breadcrumbs will give it slightly breaded and delicious taste]).
    5) Turn your heat onto high on your stove. drizzle... drizzle lightly... olive oil on the skillet/pan.
    6) Place chicken breasts in skillet, cook for 2-4 minutes on both sides depending on the size of your chicken, as soon as it turns golden-brown or pure white with yellowish/brown tints... That side is pretty much done. Flip it over and repeat.
    7) Lower the heat to low, at your designated time (this may be experimenting, I lower the heat at around 4-5 minutes). Now slow cook the chicken for 1-3 minutes depending on how brown it looks. DO NOT let it go too brown or it will become harder and less juicy. (some may prefer just cooking with medium heat only).
    8) [optional] stick your temp reading and hope it's above 160 for cooked chicken. Slice a piece of your chicken, and it should be pure juicy white.
    9) Add vegetables on the side or some light-weight rice/pasta.

I hope you'll like it.
    If you feel it's a bit too oily for you (usually mine is pretty dry but juicy and not oily at all), use a George foreman grill.
    Last edited by Brian94; 09-02-2010 at 05:21 PM.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)

Basically, using a kitchen mallet, you pound the chicken down to a desired thickness. The flatter it is, the more spirals you get. The thicker it is, the less. The picture above shows a thicker roll.

After flattening the raw chicken, you put whatever you like on the chicken. My usual is pepperjack cheese, spinach, and sun-dried tomatoes. I usually pound it super thin so it spirals nicely. Make sure to leave a couple inches on one side open (without toppings) so that when you roll from the opposite end, it doesn't just squish out.

Pierce the chicken with a couple toothpicks to keep from opening. Pour some olive oil in bottom of baking dish, then place chicken in the dish. Salt and pepper to taste, then bake.

Optionally, you can bread the chicken if that's your thing, but I usually only do that when cheating a tiny bit. After that I'll smother it in pasta sauce half way into baking.

NOM!
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...