sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)

Why is there an FDA Restriction of 100mg of potasium in a pill form?

If the RDA is 3500mg for a 2,000 calorie diet, why does the RDA restrict companies from making a potassium supplement with no more than 99mg?
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Merck Manual of Medical Information--Home Edition
    Section 12. Disorders of Nutrition and Metabolism
    Chapter 137

High Potassium Levels
    Hyperkalemia (high potassium blood level) is a blood potassium concentration higher than 5.0 milliequivalents (mEq) per liter of blood.

In general, a high blood potassium concentration is more dangerous than a low one. A potassium concentration above 5.5 mEq per liter of blood begins to affect the heart's electrical conducting system. If the blood concentration continues to rise, the heart rhythm becomes abnormal and the heart may stop beating.

Hyperkalemia usually results when the kidneys don't excrete enough potassium. Probably the most common cause of mild hyperkalemia is the use of drugs that block the kidneys' excretion of potassium, such as triamterene, spironolactone, and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors. Hyperkalemia can also be caused by Addison's disease, in which the adrenal glands don't produce sufficient amounts of the hormones that stimulate the kidneys to excrete potassium. (see page 712 in Chapter 146, Adrenal Gland Disorders) Addison's disease is becoming an increasingly common cause of hyperkalemia, as more people with AIDS develop problems with their adrenal glands.

Partial or complete kidney failure can result in severe hyperkalemia. Thus, people with poor kidney function generally must avoid foods high in potassium.

Hyperkalemia can also result when a large amount of potassium is suddenly released from the reservoir in cells. This might happen if a large amount of muscle tissue is destroyed (as in a crush injury), if a person has a severe burn, or if a person overdoses on crack *******. The rapid influx of potassium into the bloodstream can overwhelm the kidneys' ability to excrete it and result in life-threatening hyperkalemia.

Symptoms
    Mild hyperkalemia causes few if any symptoms. Usually, hyperkalemia is first diagnosed in routine blood tests or when a doctor notices changes on an electrocardiogram. Occasionally, symptoms such as an irregular heartbeat occur; an irregular heartbeat may be experienced as palpitations.

Treatment
    Immediate treatment is essential when the blood potassium concentration rises above 5 mEq per liter in someone with poor kidney function or above 6 mEq per liter in someone with normal kidney function. Potassium can be removed from the body through the gastrointestinal tract or the kidneys or by dialysis. Potassium can be removed by inducing diarrhea and by swallowing a preparation that contains a potassium-absorbing resin. This resin isn't absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, so the potassium leaves the body in the stool. If the person's kidneys are functioning, a diuretic can be given to increase potassium excretion.

When treatment is needed even more rapidly, the person may be given an intravenous solution containing calcium, glucose, or insulin. Calcium helps protect the heart from the effects of high potassium, but this effect lasts only a few minutes. Glucose and insulin drive potassium from the blood into cells, thus lowering the blood potassium concentration. If these measures fail or if a person has kidney failure, dialysis may be necessary.
    Last edited by brwnsuga; 05-03-2002 at 11:40 PM.

sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000) sfetaz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ok that does answer the question but does not say how much is too much. I was thinking about starting to use Nu Salt which contains potassium chloride. Each 1/8 tsp serving of nu salt has around 580 mg of Potassium. Think thats a good source? Its the same thing in some prescription drugs for potassium deficienys.
    If you always talk about how you could be in great shape if you just worked out and ate right, why don't you just work out and eat right?

brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000) brwnsuga is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow! Nu-Salt, eh? Nice find I'll see if I can find it at my grocery on Monday. That's a great source, but I just don't know the amount you should take. I would play it safe and start with the recommended serving size (1/8 tsp = ~580 mg K) or you could just eat a banana

I edited my original post and added the Symptoms and the Treatment section, but as you can see they are not very helpful.

Thanks again for the info suga. I did some reseach and got the info I needed.

I know the human body holds about 8 pints of blood which is 3.78541178 liters

I found out what meq means (milliequivilent) and found out that 1.5 grams of potassium chloride is equal to 20 Meq.

Now lets do the math. At an estimate of 8 pints of blood we have 3.78541178 liters of blood in our body. Dividing 1.5 by four we find that 375 mg of potassium is equal to 5 meq. Taking that multiplied by 3.78541178 liters we get a total of 1.4195294175, 1.42 in simple terms

Simply put, to get to the toxic levels mentioned in the study, you need to have 1.42 grams of potassium chloride at one time. Each 1/8 tsp of nu salt contains 528 mgs of potasium. 1420 mgs divided by 528 mgs gives us about 2.69 servings.

In the easiest terms, having more than 2.69 servings of nu salt at one time, not including other sources of potassium, is considered dangourus by your study.

Now lets us not forget the fact that the body probably does not absorb all the potassium you ingest and probably does not rise the blood levels to that height even with that much potassium cholride. Also consider I was being generous in using 5 Meq when for a person with normal kidneys the danger level is 6 Meq.
    Last edited by sfetaz; 05-04-2002 at 12:17 AM.

Alant9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I 'm about to take whey protein with potassium about 210mg. If suspected the potassium is slightly high, can we still take it?

ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000) ChrisG12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Alant9 View Post
    I 'm about to take whey protein with potassium about 210mg. If suspected the potassium is slightly high, can we still take it?

You'll be fine.

No Bull**** Bodybuilding greekmanman's Avatar
    greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) greekmanman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    strong 10 year bump lol
    Admin @ No Bull**** Bodybuilding: ********.com/nobull****bodybuildingverified

Admin @ No Stress Nutrition

Admin @ Hollywood's Rabid Cage: ********.com/groups/309091175828038/

Live, laugh, love and above all, please stay safe~

FBTK gives you facials.

http://instagram.com/edmaestheticss

John1Albruzzi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yes you can