Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

    The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Reply
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User ForumFiend4's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Age: 33
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    ForumFiend4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ForumFiend4 is offline

    Electronic Muscle Stimulator (Tens Unit)

    Do they work for muscle growth? Anyone use them for training?

    I got one prescribed for my lower back injury and it has been helping me these past few weeks. Since I have been out of the gym and curious/bored I have been messing around with putting the pads on different muscle groups. I did not notice a single thing in till I put them on my biceps. I have never had a sicker pump, and it took four days for my arms to fully recover. I did it again yesterday and had to write this post because I am sore as hell again.
    I know this can not replace lifting, but I swear I feel like had the best bicep workout ever.

    Anyone involve EMS in their routine? Am I sore from fast contractions/twitching or just wasting batteries?
    Reply With Quote

  2. #2
    Registered User jfindon's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'10", 215 lbs
    Posts: 4,736
    BodyPoints: 5035
    Rep Power: 4557
    jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit jfindon's BodySpace
    jfindon is offline
    I hear that's all Ronnie Coleman used to get to his current size. We're all losers for busting our asses when you can have muscular growth from an electrocuting device.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.18

    I HATE lightbulbs.
    Reply With Quote

  3. #3
    Registered User IEatPowerRacks's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Age: 21
    Posts: 5,268
    Rep Power: 2183
    IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) IEatPowerRacks has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    IEatPowerRacks is offline
    Originally Posted by ForumFiend4 View Post
    Do they work for muscle growth? Anyone use them for training?

    I got one prescribed for my lower back injury and it has been helping me these past few weeks. Since I have been out of the gym and curious/bored I have been messing around with putting the pads on different muscle groups. I did not notice a single thing in till I put them on my biceps. I have never had a sicker pump, and it took four days for my arms to fully recover. I did it again yesterday and had to write this post because I am sore as hell again.
    I know this can not replace lifting, but I swear I feel like had the best bicep workout ever.

    Anyone involve EMS in their routine? Am I sore from fast contractions/twitching or just wasting batteries?
    Well, studies have shown that the important thing is that the muscle is fatigued, and if it feels like the best bicep workout ever, maybe it is... though I've always believed that EMS was a piece of junk that didn't do anything.
    Reply With Quote

  4. #4
    Registered User jfindon's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'10", 215 lbs
    Posts: 4,736
    BodyPoints: 5035
    Rep Power: 4557
    jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit jfindon's BodySpace
    jfindon is offline
    Originally Posted by IEatPowerRacks View Post
    Well, studies have shown that the important thing is that the muscle is fatigued, and if it feels like the best bicep workout ever, maybe it is... though I've always believed that EMS was a piece of junk that didn't do anything.
    Yeah, I know my legs benefit much more from doing hundreds of bodyweight squats vs squats with 400+ pounds. I feel more tired doing 500 bodyweight squats, they must be working.

    I honestly don't even see a reason to lift actual weights, I mean we can all just throw our arms and legs around to fatigue and get better results.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.18

    I HATE lightbulbs.
    Reply With Quote

  5. #5
    Banned thousand's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Age: 32
    Posts: 103
    Rep Power: 0
    thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) thousand is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    thousand is offline
    Originally Posted by jfindon View Post
    Yeah, I know my legs benefit much more from doing hundreds of bodyweight squats vs squats with 400+ pounds. I feel more tired doing 500 bodyweight squats, they must be working.

    I honestly don't even see a reason to lift actual weights, I mean we can all just throw our arms and legs around to fatigue and get better results.
    yup, that's right
    Reply With Quote

  6. #6
    Moisture farmer desslok's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Age: 39
    Stats: 6'0", 182 lbs
    Posts: 15,297
    Rep Power: 40797
    desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit desslok's BodySpace
    desslok is offline
    Originally Posted by jfindon View Post
    Yeah, I know my legs benefit much more from doing hundreds of bodyweight squats vs squats with 400+ pounds. I feel more tired doing 500 bodyweight squats, they must be working.

    I honestly don't even see a reason to lift actual weights, I mean we can all just throw our arms and legs around to fatigue and get better results.
    Actually, just don't sleep, then your whole body will be fatigued.
    Reply With Quote

  7. #7
    Registered User jfindon's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2007
    Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
    Age: 28
    Stats: 5'10", 215 lbs
    Posts: 4,736
    BodyPoints: 5035
    Rep Power: 4557
    jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) jfindon has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit jfindon's BodySpace
    jfindon is offline
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Actually, just don't sleep, then your whole body will be fatigued.


    I never thought of that. Hopefully by the weekend I'll put on 50lbs of LBM from not sleeping and being in a constant state of fatigue.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.18

    I HATE lightbulbs.
    Reply With Quote

  8. #8
    Moisture farmer desslok's Avatar
    Join Date: Apr 2010
    Age: 39
    Stats: 6'0", 182 lbs
    Posts: 15,297
    Rep Power: 40797
    desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) desslok has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit desslok's BodySpace
    desslok is offline
    Originally Posted by jfindon View Post

    I never thought of that. Hopefully by the weekend I'll put on 50lbs of LBM from not sleeping and being in a constant state of fatigue.
    LMAO, repped. Laghing at the name of the site that picture cam from too, haha..
    Reply With Quote

  9. #9
    Registered User yitmy's Avatar
    Join Date: Feb 2008
    Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
    Age: 53
    Stats: 5'10", 179 lbs
    Posts: 519
    Rep Power: 98
    yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) yitmy has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit yitmy's BodySpace
    yitmy is offline
    Electric stimulation is several things but not what you think...A tens unit is used to block pain at the nerve level. If you place it on a motor point(where the muscle activity center is) you can get a contraction but the cycle of a tens unit is that it stays pretty constant. So you will fatigue the muscle but this will not be the stimulus to get it to become larger. A muscle stimulator which I do not believe you have for your back has more ability to cycle the contractility of the muscle and it does work at the muscle level is good at awakening a muscle that has not been firing, think spinal cord injury folks- the late Christopher Reeve and how he was able to walk when paralyzed from the neck down. I have not seen any studies done on regular people to build muscle with the unit. Again I have used it when people say injure their knee. Not for pain control but to improve a muscular balance. If you think it helps then use it, it may just be the placebo you are looking for!
    ))\\2//((

    Bowflex Power Pro XTL, a couple Power Blocks, a pair of running shoes and my bike is what I utilize to exercise.

    Free gym passes is a nice plus too!
    Reply With Quote

  10. #10
    Registered User ForumFiend4's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2010
    Age: 33
    Posts: 3
    Rep Power: 0
    ForumFiend4 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ForumFiend4 is offline
    Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Electric stimulation is several things but not what you think...A tens unit is used to block pain at the nerve level. If you place it on a motor point(where the muscle activity center is) you can get a contraction but the cycle of a tens unit is that it stays pretty constant. So you will fatigue the muscle but this will not be the stimulus to get it to become larger. A muscle stimulator which I do not believe you have for your back has more ability to cycle the contractility of the muscle and it does work at the muscle level is good at awakening a muscle that has not been firing, think spinal cord injury folks- the late Christopher Reeve and how he was able to walk when paralyzed from the neck down. I have not seen any studies done on regular people to build muscle with the unit. Again I have used it when people say injure their knee. Not for pain control but to improve a muscular balance. If you think it helps then use it, it may just be the placebo you are looking for!
    thanks
    Reply With Quote

Reply

Similar Threads

  1. StimRx Electronic Muscle Stimulator RX-8000
    By rmarin in forum Workout Equipment
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM
  2. Electronic Muscle Stimulator (Tens Unit)
    By ForumFiend4 in forum Misc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2010, 01:29 AM
  3. EMS- electronic muscle stimulator to speed recovery time
    By jvanda1 in forum Injury Recovery And Prevention
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
  4. Electronic Muscle stimulator (ems, tens, russian stim)
    By jvanda1 in forum Workout Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 05:06 PM
  5. muscle stimulator/ tenz unit
    By Wojin in forum Exercises
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Home Store Products Careers Help Contact Us Terms of Use Checkout