menigoan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Finishing Madcow 5x5 Intermediate Routine. What Next??

Im just finishing Madcow's 5x5 Intermediate routine and would like to know what kind of program should i do next??

I've made good gains with Madcow's routine but feeling like my progress is slowing down on this program becuase i have stalled a couple of times now on BP and Rows. I was looking into the HST program and was wondering if i could move right into that program since you start off light at 15 reps, or should i take a week or two off before starting the program?

Anyone have any suggestions on programs other than HST? YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by menigoan View Post
    Im just finishing Madcow's 5x5 Intermediate routine and would like to know what kind of program should i do next??

I've made good gains with Madcow's routine but feeling like my progress is slowing down on this program becuase i have stalled a couple of times now on BP and Rows. I was looking into the HST program and was wondering if i could move right into that program since you start off light at 15 reps, or should i take a week or two off before starting the program?

Anyone have any suggestions on programs other than HST? YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
    You are stalling at 149 lbs, Is size not a goal of yours?

What are your current major lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press) at? How many times have you stalled? At what weights did you stall? How long have you been working out? Is this your first program or have you done others before this? Are you consistently gaining weight? What weight did you start lifting at for the major lifts?

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Why jump from one cookie cutter program to the next? Make subtle changes to the routine you are on and progress from there. There is no reason to switch to a completely different program. Substitute Incline's for BP, perform rows from a plate loaded T-bar machine and switch grips,try front squats instead of back squats, etc. There are a variety of ways you can naturally progress without switching programs.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net

Originally Posted by NateDG72 View Post
    You are stalling at 149 lbs, Is size not a goal of yours?

What are your current major lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press) at? How many times have you stalled? At what weights did you stall? How long have you been working out? Is this your first program or have you done others before this? Are you consistently gaining weight? What weight did you start lifting at for the major lifts?
    Yes, I'm trying to add size.

My major lifts are Bench, Squats, Deads, Barbell rows and OHP. I have stalled twice now on Bench and Rows. I have been on this program now for 10 weeks. I have done other programs before this but not on a continual basis like I have with Madcow's 5x5. I have gained 7 pounds on Madcows 5x5 program so far and have been adjusting my calories to my weight gain but still stalled on two of the major lifts.

pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Yes, I'm trying to add size.

My major lifts are Bench, Squats, Deads, Barbell rows and OHP. I have stalled twice now on Bench and Rows. I have been on this program now for 10 weeks. I have done other programs before this but not on a continual basis like I have with Madcow's 5x5. I have gained 7 pounds on Madcows 5x5 program so far and have been adjusting my calories to my weight gain but still stalled on two of the major lifts.
    He means what weight can you put up in those lifts? 1RM, 3RM or 5 rep max

Originally Posted by pjizel69 View Post
    He means what weight can you put up in those lifts? 1RM, 3RM or 5 rep max
    My 1RMs go like this:

Squat-242
    Bench-175
    Deads-215
    Rows-150
    OHP-125

pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My 1RMs go like this:

Squat-242
    Bench-175
    Deads-215
    Rows-150
    OHP-125
    I'm no expert but I believe you can increase those lifts more with the SS routine, especially your deadlifts, You should be able to do more weight on deadlift than on squat. Those stats are similar to what my 5RM's look like, and I am just starting the SS routine.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My 1RMs go like this:

Squat-242
    Bench-175
    Deads-215
    Rows-150
    OHP-125
    Those are 1RM's? Honestly, those lifts would not likely mark the end of a Novice strength program, much less the Intermediate program you've been doing.

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Start eating more.

Deload.

Continue eating more.

Reset the program.

Eat even more.

Rest.

Repeat.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ACE79 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Take a week off.

And if you cant increase the weight then increase the reps by 1.

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Those are 1RM's? Honestly, those lifts would not likely mark the end of a Novice strength program, much less the Intermediate program you've been doing.
    So, should I switch to more of a beginner program, like Stronglifts 5x5?

Stronglifts website says once you can squat 1.5x your BW you can move to an intermediate program....??

Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would definitely be on a beginner program with those lifts - Starting Strength is my preference, but I've heard good things about SL 5x5 as well.

You are squatting a lot more than you deadlift. Rippetoe's identifies one key reason for this: you are not squatting deep enough.

Are you genuinely getting to parallel or below on your squats, with good form?
    When I go hunting, I just stare at the deer.
    They follow me home and climb into my freezer.
    Because they know.
    They know.

NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Stronglifts website says once you can squat 1.5x your BW you can move to an intermediate program....??
    **** Stronglifts, do SS. Stronglifts started out as a Starting Strength rip-off with added volume anyways, last I checked he even buggered that up. While his website has some good info intermingled with bad it's mostly copy pasta slapped together to make a quick buck.

Do Starting Strength, and eat to gain weight. If you are not consistently adding weight to the scale as a beginner you are not eating enough.

You don't have to do another program though. You can deload your lifts a bit and continue with Madcow if you like it, the progression is just slower than what you would get with SS. Just make sure you eat and rest to gain weight. Nutrition and proper sleep/rest are the two usual culprits when it comes to stalling so early in the game.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Don't look at moving on to an intermediate program as a "reward"...IOW don't be in a rush to get on one. It's more like an unfortunate necessity. Why? Because the more advanced you get, the more work you have to do to achieve the same (or less) progress. This is the point many people miss - the more advanced the program, the slower the progress. So why get on one sooner than you need to?

If you're eating to gain additional weight and muscle, there's no reason you can't still make faster progress on a novice program.

Just for some perspective, I'm your height, currently weigh only about 4 lbs more than you, am much older (and therefore more limited), and your squat 1rm is about what I can do for 13 reps. And I am *still* just barely at the "intermediate" stage. I'm no great physical specimen - average, at best. My point is that you've probably got quite a bit of novice gain still in you if you train, eat, and rest right.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Don't look at moving on to an intermediate program as a "reward"...IOW don't be in a rush to get on one. It's more like an unfortunate necessity. Why? Because the more advanced you get, the more work you have to do to achieve the same (or less) progress. This is the point many people miss - the more advanced the program, the slower the progress. So why get on one sooner than you need to?

If you're eating to gain additional weight and muscle, there's no reason you can't still make faster progress on a novice program.

Just for some perspective, I'm your height, currently weigh only about 4 lbs more than you, am much older (and therefore more limited), and your squat 1rm is about what I can do for 13 reps. And I am *still* just barely at the "intermediate" stage. I'm no great physical specimen - average, at best. My point is that you've probably got quite a bit of novice gain still in you if you train, eat, and rest right.

^^^^Reread this post, OP. It's the best advice you're likely to get.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cheap5.0 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Op, you need to pick a program and stick to it for 6 months minimum. 10 weeks on 5x5? Seems kind of short....
    Fierce Five log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172189533&p=1457532133

Originally Posted by Cheap5.0 View Post
    Op, you need to pick a program and stick to it for 6 months minimum. 10 weeks on 5x5? Seems kind of short....
    Should I take a week off every 8 weeks or so to help with recovery if I stick with this program for 6+ months to produce more gains?

Should I take a week off now since I have stalled a few times now or should I just deload?

(Thanks for all the help guys!)
    Last edited by menigoan; 09-02-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Originally Posted by Spire View Post
    I would definitely be on a beginner program with those lifts - Starting Strength is my preference, but I've heard good things about SL 5x5 as well.

You are squatting a lot more than you deadlift. Rippetoe's identifies one key reason for this: you are not squatting deep enough.

Are you genuinely getting to parallel or below on your squats, with good form?
    Yes, I know im getting to atleast parallel becuase I set the bar on the sides of the squat rack to help me know how far down I'm going. I think the reason for my poor Deadlift stats is becuase of bad form and a weak grip.

Would you suggest lifting straps?? I've heard not to use them though becuase then you won't strengthen your grip...

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes, I know im getting to atleast parallel becuase I set the bar on the sides of the squat rack to help me know how far down I'm going. I think the reason for my poor Deadlift stats is becuase of bad form and a weak grip.

Would you suggest lifting straps?? I've heard not to use them though becuase then you won't strengthen your grip...
    Chalk and alternate grip.
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50) ltbs will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    Chalk and alternate grip.
    Correct the form first before the chalk and alternate grip. OP get a vid if possible to check your deadlift form
    Recovering dislocated right shoulder since 04/07/2010 :-(

Login Incorrect, you have -2.0E+24 tries remaining

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ Chalk and alternate grip should fix the grip issue.
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Kirra View Post
    ^^ Chalk and alternate grip should fix the grip issue.
    Definitely this
    When I go hunting, I just stare at the deer.
    They follow me home and climb into my freezer.
    Because they know.
    They know.