Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cschmitt1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Would supplementing with beta-alanine, citrulline, and arginine produce an NO effect?

If I supplemented with NOW arginine&citrulline capsules, and their beta-alanine powder, would it produce an effect similar to an NO supplement? If not, is it beneficial to take a NO supplement along with these three? or would a NO supplement accomplish the intended goal standing alone?

Registered User QuarterbackSack's Avatar
    QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by cschmitt1992 View Post
    If I supplemented with NOW arginine&citrulline capsules, and their beta-alanine powder, would it produce an effect similar to an NO supplement? If not, is it beneficial to take a NO supplement along with these three? or would a NO supplement accomplish the intended goal standing alone?
    Arginine, Citrulline, & Beta Alanine together will lead to..... increased blood flow, increased aerobic\anaerobic output, increased protein synthesis, boosts immune system, just to name a few. As a bonus it also leads to enhanced sexual function. If you want to get creative with this stack add Carnosine into the mix.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by QuarterbackSack View Post
    Arginine, Citrulline, & Beta Alanine together will lead to..... increased blood flow, increased aerobic\anaerobic output, increased protein synthesis, boosts immune system, just to name a few. As a bonus it also leads to enhanced sexual function. If you want to get creative with this stack add Carnosine into the mix.
    Any peer-reviewed citations to back that claim?
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) QuarterbackSack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE View Post
    I personally don’t have anything documented; however I have spent the last sixteen years in the health & wellness/sports nutrition industry. I have used this stack myself and recommended it to several others with a great deal of success. Furthermore there have been clinical studies on each of the ingredients listed and their synergistic effects on one another to back this claim. I believe doing your homework before supplementation is crucial to someone's success in achieving their goals and keeping their wallet intact.

De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I personally don’t have anything documented; however I have spent the last sixteen years in the health & wellness/sports nutrition industry. I have used this stack myself and recommended it to several others with a great deal of success. Furthermore there have been clinical studies on each of the ingredients listed and their synergistic effects on one another to back this claim. I believe doing your homework before supplementation is crucial to someone's success in achieving their goals and keeping their wallet intact.
    lol.

I see.

So uh, cite a study showing that the sum of those three is greater than the parts when it comes to ergogenic benefits.

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by De__eB View Post
    lol.

I see.

So uh, cite a study showing that the sum of those three is greater than the parts when it comes to ergogenic benefits.
    in4 citation gang bang
    Driven Sports

De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) De__eB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PinchTheBear View Post
    in4 citation gang bang
    Hey now, hes the one who claimed there were studies

In4 good bro circle jerk on uninformed brah.

lol.

I see.

You do realize that ergogenic aids are simply supplements that help with one’s energy use, production, strength, recovery, and overall performance right?? ? Is it a broad spectrum by definition . . . .? Yes, but once again there are studies. Spend a few minutes doing research and you will pull up multiple university and clinical studies.

You do realize that ergogenic aids are simply supplements that help with one’s energy use, production, strength, recovery, and overall performance right?? ? Is it a broad spectrum by definition . . . .? Yes, but once again there are studies. Spend a few minutes doing research and you will pull up multiple university and clinical studies.
    ...You said, and I quote:

furthermore there have been clinical studies on each of the ingredients listed and their synergistic effects on one another to back this claim.
    Cite me a study showing a synergistic relationship between these three ingredients wherein the sum is greater than the parts.

...You said, and I quote:

Cite me a study showing a synergistic relationship between these three ingredients wherein the sum is greater than the parts.
    Arginine & Citrulline combined work well together; there are several studies that prove that theory, same goes for Beta Alanine. I would also like to point out that these facts were done on humans, not a rat or just a cell. That’s the truth and if you would look into that you would know this as well. Is there a wonder why supplement companies combine these ingredients??? Again and respectfully do your homework. I saw on your signature that you take presurge unleashed so I’m guessing you know the research that company has done on ingredient profiling correct? Of course you know! I suggest you reach out to Sebastian who I know, worked with, and respect. Politely ask him where his research came from. Maybe he will tell you. I would have been more than happy to share my info with you before your disrespect. Good luck

Now for the people who pm’d me thank you and here you go

Workout Stack: arginine, citrulline malate, beta alanine
    Prepping before your workouts is critical for making sure that you’re getting in all the nutrients you need to support mass and strength gains. In addition to a protein powder, such as a mixed protein powder, several supplement companies make stacks that are specific to workouts, many of which include arginine, citrulline malate and beta alanine. Together, these supplements work to give you more energy and strength for your workouts as well as a super pump.

Look for: arginine products that supply a minimum of 3 g per dose in the form of L-arginine, arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, arginine ketoisocaproate, arginine malate or arginine ethyl ester; beta-alanine products that contain 1–1.5 g per dose; 1–3 g citrulline malate. (keep in mind your bodyweight for dosing) Take these products about 30–45 minutes before workouts.

Arginine this amino acid is converted in the body to nitric oxide (NO), a molecule that plays numerous roles in the body. Of primary concern for bodybuilders is its ability to dilate blood vessels, increasing blood flow to muscles. This means that more oxygen, nutrients and anabolic hormones are driven to your muscles, and the results of this are more impressive muscle pumps, greater fuel availability during workouts, more muscle strength and, ultimately, more muscle growth. Research has shown that trained subjects taking arginine supplements can increase their bench-press strength by almost 20 lb more than those taking a placebo.

Beta alanine This amino acid combines with another amino acid, histadine, to form the dipeptide (two amino acids bound together) carnosine. Research shows that muscles with higher levels of carnosine have more strength and endurance. This is also true for athletes who supplement with beta alanine. A recent study reported that subjects who took beta-alanine along with creatine gained more muscle mass and lost more body fat than subjects taking just creatine.

Citrulline Malate This supplement is composed of the amino acid citrulline bound to a molecule of malic acid (malate). Citrulline is critical for helping to remove ammonia, a toxic compound that is produced when amino acids are metabolized (such as during exercise), increasing fatigue. By removing ammonia from your body, citrulline helps to delay fatigue, especially during exercise. Malic acid helps the body convert the lactic acid that’s produced during exercise to energy, thus further helping to delay muscle fatigue. Research has shown that people who supplement with citrulline malate have reduced fatigue and an increase in ATP (the major energy currency in the body).
    Stack Fact This is the stack that keeps on giving, since products with these ingredients will help boost your performance in the gym, both in the short term and the long run.

Arginine & Citrulline combined work well together; there are several studies that prove that theory, same goes for Beta Alanine. I would also like to point out that these facts were done on humans, not a rat or just a cell. That’s the truth and if you would look into that you would know this as well. Is there a wonder why supplement companies combine these ingredients??? Again and respectfully do your homework. I saw on your signature that you take presurge unleashed so I’m guessing you know the research that company has done on ingredient profiling correct? Of course you know! I suggest you reach out to Sebastian who I know, worked with, and respect. Politely ask him where his research came from. Maybe he will tell you. I would have been more than happy to share my info with you before your disrespect. Good luck
    First off I never disrespected you.

Second off, you can't share a PUBLISHED STUDY showing a SYNERGISTIC benefit beyond the affects of the three substances alone for these three ingredients because one does not exist.

Furthermore, speaking of asking sebastian and talking about presurge unleashed...there's a reason it DOESN'T contain arginine bro. And it's not because arginine is just too ****ing awesome to put in the product.

Citrulline and Beta Alanine obviously have benefits, and I never questioned that, you simply made a gross misrepresentation of the word synergy, which irritates the hell out of me about this industry.

additive affects: 2 + 2 = 4
    synergistic affects: 2 + 2 = 5

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Now for the people who pm’d me thank you and here you go

Workout Stack: arginine, citrulline malate, beta alanine
    Prepping before your workouts is critical for making sure that you’re getting in all the nutrients you need to support mass and strength gains. In addition to a protein powder, such as a mixed protein powder, several supplement companies make stacks that are specific to workouts, many of which include arginine, citrulline malate and beta alanine. Together, these supplements work to give you more energy and strength for your workouts as well as a super pump.

Look for: arginine products that supply a minimum of 3 g per dose in the form of L-arginine, arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, arginine ketoisocaproate, arginine malate or arginine ethyl ester; beta-alanine products that contain 1–1.5 g per dose; 1–3 g citrulline malate. (keep in mind your bodyweight for dosing) Take these products about 30–45 minutes before workouts.

Arginine this amino acid is converted in the body to nitric oxide (NO), a molecule that plays numerous roles in the body. Of primary concern for bodybuilders is its ability to dilate blood vessels, increasing blood flow to muscles. This means that more oxygen, nutrients and anabolic hormones are driven to your muscles, and the results of this are more impressive muscle pumps, greater fuel availability during workouts, more muscle strength and, ultimately, more muscle growth. Research has shown that trained subjects taking arginine supplements can increase their bench-press strength by almost 20 lb more than those taking a placebo.

Beta alanine This amino acid combines with another amino acid, histadine, to form the dipeptide (two amino acids bound together) carnosine. Research shows that muscles with higher levels of carnosine have more strength and endurance. This is also true for athletes who supplement with beta alanine. A recent study reported that subjects who took beta-alanine along with creatine gained more muscle mass and lost more body fat than subjects taking just creatine.

Citrulline Malate This supplement is composed of the amino acid citrulline bound to a molecule of malic acid (malate). Citrulline is critical for helping to remove ammonia, a toxic compound that is produced when amino acids are metabolized (such as during exercise), increasing fatigue. By removing ammonia from your body, citrulline helps to delay fatigue, especially during exercise. Malic acid helps the body convert the lactic acid that’s produced during exercise to energy, thus further helping to delay muscle fatigue. Research has shown that people who supplement with citrulline malate have reduced fatigue and an increase in ATP (the major energy currency in the body).
    Stack Fact This is the stack that keeps on giving, since products with these ingredients will help boost your performance in the gym, both in the short term and the long run.
    Two questions. One, upon what research are you basing arginine to be an effective NO booster in healthy people? Secondly, why did you suggest adding carnosine to beta-alanine?
    Speller Extraordinaire. Don't believe the lies.

Originally Posted by BringnIt View Post
    Two questions. One, upon what research are you basing arginine to be an effective NO booster in healthy people? Secondly, why did you suggest adding carnosine to beta-alanine?

beta alanine supplementation increases carnosine levels.

PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PinchTheBear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Research has shown that trained subjects taking arginine supplements can increase their bench-press strength by almost 20 lb more than those taking a placebo.
    Derp

Citation necessary.
    Driven Sports

BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BringnIt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    beta alanine supplementation increases carnosine levels.
    Obviously. That has nothing to do with adding carnosine to beta alanine, which was the recommendation made in the second post of this thread.

Derp

Citation necessary.
    He's probably referring to that strange NO2 study done a few years back.

pm'd

Obviously. That has nothing to do with adding carnosine to beta alanine, which was the recommendation made in the second post of this thread.
    oh, from post #2, i see it now, NFI.

Originally Posted by de__eb View Post
    oh, from post #2, i see it now, nfi.
    nfi?

nfi?
    no $@#$ing idea

EDIT: I think carnosine breaks BACK down into beta alanine and hidistine in digestion and ends up not being a pretty backwards way to do things (break it down just to reform it...)

no $@#$ing idea

EDIT: I think carnosine breaks BACK down into beta alanine and hidistine in digestion and ends up not being a pretty backwards way to do things (break it down just to reform it...)
    Yeah, it's highly inefficient orally. Poliquin used to recommend injecting it due to that.

this gang bang has been real, but still waiting on some citations so we can explain why they are irrelevant.

quarterbacksack bro... throw up some links.
    Driven Sports

this gang bang has been real, but still waiting on some citations so we can explain why they are irrelevant.

quarterbacksack bro... throw up some links.
    Originally Posted by QuarterbackSack to me via PM
    How you doing man, I’m done with this post but I wanted to get back to you. 1st question my Uncle is a doctor at the Mayo clinic; arginine was tested for several things, workout performance, headaches, heart failure and a ton of other stuff. It was shown to be useful and effective even in healthy people. 2nd question, I have worked for sports nutrition companies and watched a lot of testing getting done in the lab and through 3rd party tests. It wouldn’t be good business for the companies to say. . hey let’s add a little carnosine in the mix because of the claims of what BA does, but it does add quite the punch with BA. Try it man you will be impressed. Hope that answers your questions
    Doubt you get a response.

Hey, since you mention the mayo clinic, I give you this little tidbit from their website that pretty much mocks your ignorance with regards to supplementation:

Exercise performance

Overall, currently available study results conclude that arginine supplementation does not improve exercise performance.
    Heres your reference

Scroll down a ways though to stuff given a grade of D.

KTHX.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Arginine this amino acid is converted in the body to nitric oxide (NO), a molecule that plays numerous roles in the body. Of primary concern for bodybuilders is its ability to dilate blood vessels, increasing blood flow to muscles. This means that more oxygen, nutrients and anabolic hormones are driven to your muscles, and the results of this are more impressive muscle pumps, greater fuel availability during workouts, more muscle strength and, ultimately, more muscle growth.

You seem to be referring to endogenous arginine in healthy adults. Exogenous arginine is a watse of time.

1: J Nutr Biochem. 2008 Aug 15. [Epub ahead of print]
    Liu TH, Wu CL, Chiang CW, Lo YW, Tseng HF, Chang CK.
    No effect of short-term arginine supplementation on nitric oxide production, metabolism and performance in intermittent exercise in athletes.

Arginine supplementation has been shown to alleviate endothelial dysfunction and improve exercise performance through increasing nitric oxide production in patients with cardiopulmonary diseases. In addition, arginine supplementation could decrease accumulations of lactate and ammonia, metabolites involved in development of muscular fatigue. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of short-term arginine supplementation on performance in intermittent anaerobic exercise and the underlying mechanism in well-trained male athletes. Ten elite male college judo athletes participated with a randomized crossover, placebo-controlled design. The subjects consumed 6 g/day arginine (ARG trial) or placebo (CON trial) for 3 days then performed an intermittent anaerobic exercise test on a cycle ergometer. Blood samples were collected before supplementation, before and during exercise and 0, 3, 6, 10, 30 and 60 min after exercise. ARG trial had significantly higher arginine concentrations than CON trial at the same time point before, during and after exercise. In both trials, nitrate and nitrite concentration was significantly higher during and 6 min after exercise comparing to the basal concentration. The increase in nitrate and nitrite concentration during exercise in both trials was parallel to the increase in plasma citrulline concentrations. There was no significant difference between the 2 trials in plasma nitrate and nitrite, lactate and ammonia concentrations and peak and average power in the exercise. The results of this study suggested that short-term arginine supplementation had no effect on nitric oxide production, lactate and ammonia metabolism and performance in intermittent anaerobic exercise in well-trained male athletes.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2009 Aug;19(4):355-65.
    Bescós R, Gonzalez-Haro C, Pujol P, Drobnic F, Alonso E, Santolaria ML, Ruiz O, Esteve M, Galilea P.
    Effects of dietary L-arginine intake on cardiorespiratory and metabolic adaptation in athletes.

To assess the effect of diet enrichment with L-arginine or supplementation at high doses on physiological adaptation during exercise, 9 athletes followed 3 different diets, each over 3 consecutive days, with a wash-out period of 4 d between training sessions: control diet (CD), 5.5 +/- 0.3 g/d of L-arginine; Diet 1 (rich in L-arginine food), 9.0 +/- 1.1 g/d of L-arginine; and Diet 2 (the same as CD but including an oral supplement of 15 g/d), 20.5 +/- 0.3 g/d of L-arginine. Plasma nitrate levels of each participant were determined on the day after each treatment. Participants performed a submaximal treadmill test (initial speed 10-11 km/hr, work increments 1 km/hr every 4 min until 85-90% VO2max, and passive recovery periods of 2 min). Oxygen uptake and heart rate were monitored throughout the test. Blood lactate concentration ([La-]b) was determined at the end of each stage. Repeated-measures ANOVA and paired Student's t tests were used to compare the various physiological parameters between diets. The level of significance was set at p < .05. [La-]b showed a significant effect at the 5-min time point between CD and Diet 2 (CD 3.0 +/- 0.5 mM, Diet 2 2.5 +/- 0.5 mM, p = .03), but this tendency was not found at higher exercise intensities. No significant differences were observed in any of the cardiorespiratory or plasma nitrate levels. In conclusion, dietary L-arginine intake on the days preceding the test does not improve physiological parameters during exercise.

Atherosclerosis. 1995 Dec;118(2):223-31.
    Wennmalm A, Edlund A, Granström EF, Wiklund O.
    Acute supplementation with the nitric oxide precursor L-arginine does not improve cardiovascular performance in patients with hypercholesterolemia.

Endothelial dysfunction based on lack of nitric oxide (NO) may contribute to several settings of cardiovascular disorder. Chronic oral supplementation with the NO precursor L-arginine counteracts the development of aortic atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits, and i.v. infusion of L-arginine may acutely improve endothelium-dependent coronary epicardial vasodilation in patients with hypercholesterolemia (HC). To clarify whether excess NO precursor may also improve general cardiovascular performance in HC, we measured working capacity indices of myocardial ischemia, and basal and post-occlusive forearm and skin blood flow in nine patients with elevated plasma cholesterol (9.1 +/- 0.2 mumol/l) following random double-blinded administration of L-arginine (16 g i.v.) or placebo. Infusion of L-arginine raised the plasma concentration of this amino acid from 85 +/- 12 to 2460 +/- 230 mumol/l but did not change the plasma level of the major NO metabolite nitrate. Maximal working capacity, indices of myocardial ischemia, and basal and post-occlusive blood flow in the skin or forearm did not differ between the treatments. The lack of positive effect of L-arginine compared to placebo indicates that excess NO precursor did not improve microvascular endothelial function in the patients, or alternatively, that the indices measured in the present study were not dependent on endothelial microvessel function. Thus, in patients with HC, deficiency of precursor for NO formation does not seem to impair either maximal exercise capacity myocardial perfusion during maximal exercise, or maximal vasodilator capacity in skeletal muscle or skin.

Circulation. 2007 Jul 10;116(2):188-95. Epub 2007 Jun 25.
    Wilson AM, Harada R, Nair N, Balasubramanian N, Cooke JP.
    L-arginine supplementation in peripheral arterial disease: no benefit and possible harm.

BACKGROUND: L-arginine is the precursor of endothelium-derived nitric oxide, an endogenous vasodilator. L-arginine supplementation improves vascular reactivity and functional capacity in peripheral arterial disease (PAD) in small, short-term studies. We aimed to determine the effects of long-term administration of L-arginine on vascular reactivity and functional capacity in patients with PAD. METHODS AND RESULTS: The Nitric Oxide in Peripheral Arterial Insufficiency (NO-PAIN) study was a randomized clinical trial of oral L-arginine (3 g/d) versus placebo for 6 months in 133 subjects with intermittent claudication due to PAD in a single-center setting. The primary end point was the change at 6 months in the absolute claudication distance as assessed by the Skinner-Gardner treadmill protocol. L-arginine supplementation significantly increased plasma L-arginine levels. However, measures of nitric oxide availability (including flow-mediated vasodilation, vascular compliance, plasma and urinary nitrogen oxides, and plasma citrulline formation) were reduced or not improved compared with placebo. Although absolute claudication distance improved in both L-arginine- and placebo-treated patients, the improvement in the L-arginine-treated group was significantly less than that in the placebo group (28.3% versus 11.5%; P=0.024). CONCLUSIONS: In patients with PAD, long-term administration of L-arginine does not increase nitric oxide synthesis or improve vascular reactivity. Furthermore, the expected placebo effect observed in studies of functional capacity was attenuated in the L-arginine-treated group. As opposed to its short-term administration, long-term administration of L-arginine is not useful in patients with intermittent claudication and PAD.

Research has shown that trained subjects taking arginine supplements can increase their bench-press strength by almost 20 lb more than those taking a placebo.
    Arginine & Citrulline combined work well together; there are several studies that prove that theory, same goes for Beta Alanine.
    Citations please. This is the science section of the forum, and there are rules.
    ~

You seem to be referring to endogenous arginine in healthy adults. Exogenous arginine is a watse of time.

Citations please. This is the science section of the forum, and there are rules.
    I find the results to be weird, but I guess he is loosely referencing this:

http://bearspace.baylor.edu/Rodney_B...cokinetics.pdf

I find the results to be weird, but I guess he is loosely referencing this: http://bearspace.baylor.edu/Rodney_B...cokinetics.pdf
    It is my belief that the observed differences in the 1RM bench press were directly related to elevated intramuscular PCr concentrations in the AAKG vs. placebo group. Had these individuals been supplementing creatine, I strongly feel that the results would have been much less impressive for the AAKG group.

AAKG supplementation did not promote statistically significant changes in fat-free mass, muscular endurance,or aerobic capacity. These findings indicate that, although there was evidence of greater gains in strength and anaerobic power, the improved performance capacity did not promote muscle hypertrophy or improve body composition results during training. These findings do not support contentions that AAKG promotes lean tissue accretion during resistance training. However, it is possible that the sample and/or use of well-trained resistance-trained subjects who are more resistant to gains in muscle mass during training as opposed to untrained subjects may have influenced the results.

We are aware of one other study that used resistance-trained men as subjects that investigated the effects of arginine on body composition and muscle function. Walberg-Rankin et al. [38] gave male weight trainers who were consuming a hypocaloric diet approximately 8 g of arginine daily for 10 d. The investigators concluded that arginine supplementation had no influence on fat or lean tissue loss, muscle function (as determined by biceps and quadriceps isokinetic testing), or overall growth hormone status. Results of the present study support these findings because 8 wk of AAKG supplementation did not significantly affect body composition, lower body muscle function as measured by quadriceps isokinetic testing, or anabolic hormonal profiles.

The reason that AAKG increased peak power is unclear. Because arginine is one of three amino acids used in the synthesis of creatine [41] and low-dose creatine supplementation (e.g., 3 g/d for 4 wk) has been shown to increase muscle phosphocreatine concentrations [42], 6 g/d of L-arginine supplementation may have influenced phosphocreatine availability and thus anaerobic power indices [43,44].
    ~

Hey, since you mention the mayo clinic, I give you this little tidbit from their website that pretty much mocks your ignorance with regards to supplementation:

Scroll down a ways though to stuff given a grade of D.

KTHX.
    After reading some of your other post and the lack of response you get this will be my final response to you as well. In the link where you posted that study click on the background tab on the left side of the page and read the 1st sentence of the 3rd paragraph. The original post on this thread was about an NO effect. Arginine does what he was asking for. I also answered his other questions and threw a in a tip of my own which I know to be helpful. As far as your negative comments go I will consider the source and move on but you may want to check a person’s background a little further before throwing out insults. I’ve been doing this for a long time and my track record speaks for itself, not just in sports nutrition but the health & wellness industry as a whole. Starting at the age of 19 I have moved up the ranks through several different companies and had the privilege to work under some of pioneers in this industry. I do applaud your efforts and your want of knowledge from people. I couldn’t agree more with some of your stances and questions that you have posted on other threads. I mean that sincerely. Good luck bro. To everyone else please feel free to pm me and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

Arginine this amino acid is converted in the body to nitric oxide (NO), a molecule that plays numerous roles in the body. Of primary concern for bodybuilders is its ability to dilate blood vessels, increasing blood flow to muscles. This means that more oxygen, nutrients and anabolic hormones are driven to your muscles, and the results of this are more impressive muscle pumps, greater fuel availability during workouts, more muscle strength and, ultimately, more muscle growth.
    The original post on this thread was about an NO effect. Arginine does what he was asking for.
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    It is my belief that the observed differences in the 1RM bench press were directly related to elevated intramuscular PCr concentrations in the AAKG vs. placebo group. Had these individuals been supplementing creatine, I strongly feel that the results would have been much less impressive for the AAKG group.

AAKG supplementation did not promote statistically significant changes in fat-free mass, muscular endurance,or aerobic capacity. These findings indicate that, although there was evidence of greater gains in strength and anaerobic power, the improved performance capacity did not promote muscle hypertrophy or improve body composition results during training. These findings do not support contentions that AAKG promotes lean tissue accretion during resistance training. However, it is possible that the sample and/or use of well-trained resistance-trained subjects who are more resistant to gains in muscle mass during training as opposed to untrained subjects may have influenced the results.

We are aware of one other study that used resistance-trained men as subjects that investigated the effects of arginine on body composition and muscle function. Walberg-Rankin et al. [38] gave male weight trainers who were consuming a hypocaloric diet approximately 8 g of arginine daily for 10 d. The investigators concluded that arginine supplementation had no influence on fat or lean tissue loss, muscle function (as determined by biceps and quadriceps isokinetic testing), or overall growth hormone status. Results of the present study support these findings because 8 wk of AAKG supplementation did not significantly affect body composition, lower body muscle function as measured by quadriceps isokinetic testing, or anabolic hormonal profiles.

The reason that AAKG increased peak power is unclear. Because arginine is one of three amino acids used in the synthesis of creatine [41] and low-dose creatine supplementation (e.g., 3 g/d for 4 wk) has been shown to increase muscle phosphocreatine concentrations [42], 6 g/d of L-arginine supplementation may have influenced phosphocreatine availability and thus anaerobic power indices [43,44].
    ~