nastynas33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If I didn't get a good night's sleep last night, can I still work out today?

Hi,

Due to my new job and other responsibilities, on some nights I only get around 4 hours of sleep.

If this happens (I get 4 or less hours of sleep) one night, can I still work out later on that day? Or is my body going to be in a bad state where training will just be detrimental?

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not trying to be a dik here (which means I'll come off as one....) but you know how YOU respond to things far better than anyone here on the inter web.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nastynas33 View Post
    Hi,

Due to my new job and other responsibilities, on some nights I only get around 4 hours of sleep.

If this happens (I get 4 or less hours of sleep) one night, can I still work out later on that day? Or is my body going to be in a bad state where training will just be detrimental?
    Op if I only trained, when lack of sleep, well I have missed a lot of workouts. Imho hit gym give it all u got, and go home and get some nutrients and zzzzs. Only if u cant focuse, different then slacking, I would stop workout. Because of possible injuries, besides that we all have bad days and meh days, and kick azz days! Maybe just me though...
    It’s all about consistency imho ✌️

v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000) v4lu3s is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know? Can you?

Last night I got in bed at work at 11, then made a run at 1130 and got back into bed at 1230am. Around 3am the ambulance woke us up to make a run, and I got up at 515am and did 30 minutes of fasted cardio, then drove home, took my daughter to school and had a 2 hour weight and cardio session starting at 9am. I did have my normal two cups of coffee and 1 scoop of pre workout...so I dont know about you, but i DID workout.

btw by normal i always have the coffee and pwo...just usually not on top of each other!

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Not trying to be a dik here (which means I'll come off as one....) but you know how YOU respond to things far better than anyone here on the inter web.
    This!

I work shift work and have some days where I'm on a lot less sleep. Today is one of those days and I'm pushing back deads until tomorrow so I'm fresh. Other days I'm feeling pretty good and get it done. All a matter of how you feel. You aren't going to lose all your gainz by pushing things back a day if that's what you're worried about.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000) 1Fuzzy1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Op, no excuses. I slept terrible last night myself and this morning I had the best workouts I had in weeks.

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

nastynas33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting.

Yes, CAN i train when I'm lacking sleep and physically get through a workout is a different question...and that's up to the person to decide as they are the only person who is their own body and nobody else is.

But whether or not it is optimal is something that I can't see with my eyes, because I can't see into the inside of my bodies cells and look at all the hormonal changes and everything. I was thinking of those studies where it shows insomnia alters your whole body (and those studies compare it to being drunk), so I was thinking insomnia might lower or raise certain hormones and effect metabolism. And so you might be able to physically get through the work-out, but on a microscopic level you are at sub-optimal conditions and you end up doing more damage than good. Maybe. Or maybe not. I have no clue.

I don't know...I tend to over think things, but my curiosity about this stuff has lead me to some good research, which i have implemented and used to get in much better shape.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    But whether or not it is optimal is something that I can't see with my eyes
    Whether it is optimal or not is irrelevant. Sub-optimal training response > no training response due to not training.

Something > nothing.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Menders81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello OP,

I agree with HY45. Train hard, get your nutrients, and try to make sure you get a better night's sleep tonight. After a hard session you will have earned a good night's rest.

I used to always look for excuses NOT to train. Work was stressful, I didn't get enough sleep, I've eaten too much/little, wife, kids, etc etc etc.

But no matter how stressful my day is, training makes me feel better. No matter how tired I feel, training wakes me up. If the wife is chewing my ear, I take my frustrations out on the weights, not the missus.

Good Luck!

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    Whether it is optimal or not is irrelevant. Sub-optimal training response > no training response due to not training.

Something > nothing.
    ^^^ this

I have been sleeping bad for 10 yrs now and continue to make progress. Nots saying its optimal but definitely better then nothing. And just to add I would probably be happy with 4 hours of straight sleep. I wake up ever 1-2 hours for a bit before falling back to sleep
    Disabled Combat Veteran (11B)
    My Home Gym Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160414931

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    One way to look at it is this:

The benefits of your workout come from the 'rest' and 'nutrition' you get after you leave the gym.

We can't always get a great night sleep but one should never get in the mindset that you'll have a poor workout, even before you get in the gym. Imagine going into work and telling the boss, "hey I didn't sleep well last night, expect crappy work from me today". Well you wouldn't be working there for long.
    Always think positive!

Good luck.
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Interesting.

Yes, CAN i train when I'm lacking sleep and physically get through a workout is a different question...and that's up to the person to decide as they are the only person who is their own body and nobody else is.

But whether or not it is optimal is something that I can't see with my eyes, because I can't see into the inside of my bodies cells and look at all the hormonal changes and everything. I was thinking of those studies where it shows insomnia alters your whole body (and those studies compare it to being drunk), so I was thinking insomnia might lower or raise certain hormones and effect metabolism. And so you might be able to physically get through the work-out, but on a microscopic level you are at sub-optimal conditions and you end up doing more damage than good. Maybe. Or maybe not. I have no clue.

I don't know...I tend to over think things, but my curiosity about this stuff has lead me to some good research, which i have implemented and used to get in much better shape.
    As others have said, how will you know when a particular time or day is "optimal"?? If you wait until you "feel" optimal, you won't be training often. The best thing you can do is get on a schedule and train. If you're not feeling well, then modify the workout as necessary, but get through it.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000) Richie71 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've had some of my best workouts after poor nights sleep. My weekend workouts, when I have had more sleep, do not have a pattern of being any better than weekday workouts.

So, in conclusion, just get in and train.
    Training journal and diary: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155348593

Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000) Firminator4 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yep - headed to the gym shortly on probably 4 hrs sleep. Not a habit but sometimes that is how it works out. BTW - doesn't seem to ever effect my workouts. Really don't give much thought on how much sleep I got. I go to the gym regardless because that is what I usually do.

Firm
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better!"

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. -A. R. Bernard

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places."
    Ernest Hemingway - "A Farewell to Arms"

BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BenchPress3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you wait until everything is perfect, you will never get into the gym. Sleeps important in the long run but I wouldnt let it hold you back.

bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000) bri88col is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just listen to your body..if you feel strong..have energy..hell yes..dead man walking then probably not so much
    www.********.com/Oldmanmuscle
    www.Instagram.com/cobri66
    www.twitter.com/bric882009

jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jschott65 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's the thing, are you tired or is your body fatigued? Only you can answer this question based on how you feel. If I missed workouts because I didn't get enough sleep, I'd be missing way too many. Over the years I've worked out hungover, tired, with a cold, and two weeks after having two discs in my neck fused and plated (just walking on the treadmill). The only way you can know for sure is to make it to the gym and begin your session. It's amazing how good you'll feel once you start. The good news is that a good training session, followed by a jacuzzi, a steam, or a hot bath, will make you sleep like a baby.
    Pain Don't Hurt
    Patrick Swayze-Roadhouse

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Last evening I headed to the gym, already feeling tired...in fact I was yawning while changing into my workout gear. But I pushed myself to get in there.

After slowly warming up I started in with weighted chins and I at least matched my sets/reps from last week. And felt pretty good. From there I just pushed on and my performance improved as I went. Some numbers went up so I considered the workout a great success.

You just never know what you have inside you unless you test yourself.
    My 3 golden rules for weight training.
    1. Stress the muscle through progressive overload.
    2. Stress the muscles in the path the fibres run.
    3. Stress the muscle with maximum contraction, stretch and static holds.

DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50) DeviLFisH will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    sleep is important , a lot bros here know that.
    But due to our modern life now a days even you have disciplines kinda hard as mention for those working on shifts.
    Nevertheless i feel as long you feel energetic than head to train.
    For me I must take a nap during day time or else will feel tired later go train but depend some days I don't need to nap but feel energetic.
    News about Music, Lifestyle, Fashion and Beauty
    https://retroworldnews.com/

Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hardgains88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I agree with most posters here. Best progress comes from consultancy and not missing workouts. Just try to are up lost sleep somewhere if possible. The only thing I will occasionally do is swap around a rest day if it allows me to avoid training hung over or after a grueling bedroom session with no sleep ect. If I can move a day off and still keep myself to to the training cycle that's fine, but I never will let the training cycle get of track or stretch beyond that.

aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000) aperry580 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do it all the time just don't try to set any prs unless your feeling superhuman

kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50) kevinderhouson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lots of the time when im tired and don't feel like going to the gym; but go anyways i end up having a better than usual workout.

masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000) masher230 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you do what you gotta do