Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000)

Sternum pop during dips!?

Yesterday I was doing dips and on my last rep of my last work set I heard/felt a POP in my sternum. Didn't think it was that bad so I dropped the weight to +45 and tried another rep but I felt slight pain and didn't want to risk it. After finishing up my entire workout/getting home I posted what happened in my workout journal and researched a bit about Sternum pain but couldn't figure anything that matched my case.

Most are 'very common' and is nothing to worry about. But I believe mine may be more than very common. It hurts if I lean forward, look up & drop my arms (just like a DL position, which isn't good), and also if I look up & to the right or left. If I breathe in deeply there is the same dull/achy feeling as well.

Do you guys have any tips that would help? I told my parents about it but didn't make it sound like it hurt at all. I really don't want a weightlifting injury that would hinder my progress in any way. I already have a feeling I won't be able to do dips again- or anytime soon.

Here's a video of my form if it means anything.. This is 3 sets prior

Thanks so much
    live.laugh.lift

KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    ouch! that's a lot of weight. how did you build up to that? please don't tell me that 2-4 rep sets at this weight are the only exercise you do for that part of your body. I hurt my sternum once and I thought it was never going to go away but it did.

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    sounds like a rib head needs to be "adjusted" back into place. Happens to me often. Try stretching your arms back and pushed your sternum out.

BTW. I say lose the weight and do reps.

baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000) baco_bacon is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KrohDaddi View Post
    ouch! that's a lot of weight. how did you build up to that? please don't tell me that 2-4 rep sets at this weight are the only exercise you do for that part of your body. I hurt my sternum once and I thought it was never going to go away but it did.
    No, believe me that's not the only exercise. I do plenty of other work for chest/shoulder/tris! I think it took 3~ months to build up with that
    Originally Posted by farsscf View Post
    sounds like a rib head needs to be "adjusted" back into place. Happens to me often. Try stretching your arms back and pushed your sternum out.

BTW. I say lose the weight and do reps.
    Thanks for the advice guys. Will try 'adjusting' my rib back in to place.

Was just maxing out yesterday, goal has been 2 plates for a while.
    live.laugh.lift

farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000) farsscf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If that doesn't help a Chiropractor can.

What are you supposed to feel when you do that? A pop 'back into place'?
    live.laugh.lift

rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My sternum pops when I stretch once in a while. But never had any problems. It is the cartilage. At least that is what it is for me. You could ask your doc. if you are concerned. I never have pain with mine. Just a pop like cracking a knuckle.
    Are you placing limits on romance? Are you telling me that a sex act involving a robotic monkey, three midgets, a motorized two-headed rubber f'ck-stick, a jungle gym, and some purple truck nutz CAN'T be romantic and loving? - Karl_Hungus

Originally Posted by rab71 View Post
    My sternum pops when I stretch once in a while. But never had any problems. It is the cartilage. At least that is what it is for me. You could ask your doc. if you are concerned. I never have pain with mine. Just a pop like cracking a knuckle.
    That's the thing, it didn't hurt yesterday when it happened. It felt like like you said - cracking a knuckle. But last night it began getting worse. This morning it isn't worse but it isn't better. I mean it's not terrible and won't hinder most anything except for dips, which I have a feeling I won't be able to do again, or for a while.

EDIT: Nice dips in your avi, btw

Just tried what farsscf said with the help of a door frame, but couldn't get it. The pain isn't unbearable, but it's just pretty frusterating
    live.laugh.lift

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this

I have ribs pop out of alignment and imo, the chiro is the best way to get them back in place. weighted dips and Db flyes tend to be the rib-poppers...

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

Originally Posted by kimsquit View Post
    this

I have ribs pop out of alignment and imo, the chiro is the best way to get them back in place. weighted dips and Db flyes tend to be the rib-poppers...
    Dang :/. How much money does it cost for a chiro to fix it?
    live.laugh.lift

remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10) remythefrench is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by baco_bacon View Post
    so cost i had the same pain when i did dips front , it fixed with time

rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rab71 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That's the thing, it didn't hurt yesterday when it happened. It felt like like you said - cracking a knuckle. But last night it began getting worse. This morning it isn't worse but it isn't better. I mean it's not terrible and won't hinder most anything except for dips, which I have a feeling I won't be able to do again, or for a while.

Just tried what farsscf said with the help of a door frame, but couldn't get it. The pain isn't unbearable, but it's just pretty frusterating
    Thanks, I like weighted dips too, once in a while it bugs my shoulder. You may have pulled a muscle as well. Take it easy a few days and see how it goes.
    Are you placing limits on romance? Are you telling me that a sex act involving a robotic monkey, three midgets, a motorized two-headed rubber f'ck-stick, a jungle gym, and some purple truck nutz CAN'T be romantic and loving? - Karl_Hungus

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    don't know where you live but where I live, chiros charge anywhere from $35 to $45 a visit

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lanolar has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, believe me that's not the only exercise. I do plenty of other work for chest/shoulder/tris! I think it took 3~ months to build up with that

Thanks for the advice guys. Will try 'adjusting' my rib back in to place.

Was just maxing out yesterday, goal has been 2 plates for a while.
    My guess if you popped. It will probably be sore for awhile, just baby it until its ready. If you don't think its better in a week from now, see a doc.

Keep the weight, go heavier if you can when your healthy. Weighted dips>>>>x1 billion than body weight dips.
    Eat right, exercise, lift weights, get 8 hours of sleep.

Thanks so much everybody... seriously. Will give it AT least a week before I attempt even BW dips again. It was pretty sore in my workout today so I went easy w/ my vertical presses (CGBP&UH Grip bench)

Thanks again.
    live.laugh.lift

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)

Yes, did it decades ago at the Y and about the same size as you. Honestly can't remember if it was weighted or not. It buckled and popped like you said. Hurt quite a bit and was a LONG time before I could do a decent dip without pain in that area. I'm guessing/hoping I injured it more than you did.

Looks like you went too deep with too much weight on the 2nd rep. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I'd stay away from dips til that area doesn't hurt on it's own or when you press it. THEN, see if it's uncomfortable just getting in the TOP position on the dip station and slowly see how it feels lowering yourself. Might be better to try the assisted dips machine for a bit if your gym has one. Worst thing you can do is aggrivate it all over again.

You're young enough, you'll probably heal faster but dips don't need to be done fast, much deeper than arms slightly below parallel, and go easy on bumping up the weight too quickly.

My 1c.

Originally Posted by IR45N View Post
    Yes, did it decades ago at the Y and about the same size as you. Honestly can't remember if it was weighted or not. It buckled and popped like you said. Hurt quite a bit and was a LONG time before I could do a decent dip without pain in that area. I'm guessing/hoping I injured it more than you did.

Looks like you went too deep with too much weight on the 2nd rep. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I'd stay away from dips til that area doesn't hurt on it's own or when you press it. THEN, see if it's uncomfortable just getting in the TOP position on the dip station and slowly see how it feels lowering yourself. Might be better to try the assisted dips machine for a bit if your gym has one. Worst thing you can do is aggrivate it all over again.

You're young enough, you'll probably heal faster but dips don't need to be done fast, much deeper than arms slightly below parallel, and go easy on bumping up the weight too quickly.

My 1c.
    Wow, that was really helpful. I think that was my problem as well - going too deep when I reach failure. I normally do that for all my sets and throw slow negatives in there as well. Thank you. I'll probably bump this thread when it feels better.. if i remember.
    live.laugh.lift

IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000) IR45N is just really nice. (+1000)
    Whoa! 1x 90!? Somehow I missed that; must have also been looking at other replies.

Get healed up and fugetabout any 1's for some time; keep your reps at a min of 6. You done good forcing yourself all the way to the top before lowering, but that descent wasn't controlled. Your back looks too rounded to me, but thats partly a Gironda method. Gironda dips; you'd be facing the opposite way, tuck your chin in and hold your feet out in front of you; your back will be kind of rounded. Regular dips like you were doing, thrust your chest out more, back straight and a bit of a forward lean.

Leave your ego out of singles on dips unless you're doing negatives or high rep/little rest sets.

Originally Posted by IR45N View Post
    Whoa! 1x 90!? Somehow I missed that; must have also been looking at other replies.

Get healed up and fugetabout any 1's for some time; keep your reps at a min of 6. You done good forcing yourself all the way to the top before lowering, but that descent wasn't controlled. Your back looks too rounded to me, but thats partly a Gironda method. Gironda dips; you'd be facing the opposite way, tuck your chin in and hold your feet out in front of you; your back will be kind of rounded. Regular dips like you were doing, thrust your chest out more, back straight and a bit of a forward lean.

Leave your ego out of singles on dips unless you're doing negatives or high rep/little rest sets.
    Lol. I don't lift for ego at all.. I went for a PR and then normally do low reps/little rest sets and this has never happened before.

Thanks for the tip, didn't notice my back rounding :/ i won't be doing any 1RM's for a long long time haha
    live.laugh.lift

Like said above, you can pay cash at a Chiro for $35-$45. Or you can use your parents health insurance and pay the copay. I put up with it for a long time and one time mentioned it to my Chiro and he knew exactly what it was and fixed it immediately. I was very glad I brought it up. I have had several broken ribs and I am very familiar with it. I guess I have taught myself how to fix it.

Like said above, you can pay cash at a Chiro for $35-$45. Or you can use your parents health insurance and pay the copay. I put up with it for a long time and one time mentioned it to my Chiro and he knew exactly what it was and fixed it immediately. I was very glad I brought it up. I have had several broken ribs and I am very familiar with it. I guess I have taught myself how to fix it.
    If it doesn't feel any better tomorrow I will discuss it with my parents. Thanks for everything Farss, and awesome avi/transformation by the way
    live.laugh.lift

If it doesn't feel any better tomorrow I will discuss it with my parents. Thanks for everything Farss, and awesome avi/transformation by the way
    Thanks! Stay tuned for the next installment.

KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    nothing written in stone saying you have to do dips
    lots of people who look very fine indeed have never done A dip

Originally Posted by KrohDaddi View Post
    nothing written in stone saying you have to do dips
    lots of people who look very fine indeed have never done A dip
    Haha, I know I don't have to do dips. I like them, but it's not the end of the world if I can't do them again.

Update
    Sternum is feeling a lot better today. About 50% of what it was like yesterday. I reckon I won't feel any pain within 2-3 days
    live.laugh.lift

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My sternum pops if I stretch back all the time. Also I would not suggest going so heavy until you can get 10reps with one 45lb..just my opinion on that. You dont want to get hurt so young bro.
    !!!!DONT LIKE ME?..DONT AGREE!!!...DONT CARE!!!!..."drops mic"...PEACEOUT!!!

drewJF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First time I have seen the same problem that I have experienced. It happened push up variations. Basically to avoid this type injury you MUST use proper form on all the push type movements (bench, dips, push ups, OH press). I waited a month and it seemed better but the cartilage was not fully healed. The cartilage was most likely damaged and needs time to heal fully. If you do not let it fully heal it leads to more problems. your sternum supports your ribs and ribs support your pecs.

gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000) gbnpc is just really nice. (+1000)
    My sternum pops all the time. Nothing painful OR harmful. Just my old bones getting adjusted back into place, kind of like knuckles. I experience them with bench press from time to time
    *Team All American EFX Sports.
    *Registered Nurse/Trauma Certified.
    *NPC National Men's Physique Competitor, Top 10 Jr. USA's 2015.

Web: http://www.aaefx.com/
    ********:  http://www.********.com/AllAmericanEFX
    Instagram: @efxsports 

*My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
    All American EFX Sports as they are my own*

BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000) BB12s is just really nice. (+1000)
    Should you seek medical advice a chiro would be a good place to start. I tend to go my chiro that also practices Kinesiology. Makes a huge difference, as he's more in tune with fitness and muscle range of motion.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
    ~*~* THIS SPACE FOR SUPPLEMENT COMPANY RENT ~*~*

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of ________________.

Strong bump, but thanks for the support haha
    live.laugh.lift

Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lishnik will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Happened to me with bench press when I first began to lift and hit the heavy(ier) weight. Freaked me out at the time but no damage and no pain and I just moved on. Hasn't happened again.