Registered User TheHeirApparent's Avatar
    TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheHeirApparent will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question fat loss rate???

on a normal diet. fat loss rate should be 2pounds per week at most, any more than 2 is considered muscle loss or at risk of muscle loss...Since keto directly breaks down fatty acids is there a limit to fat loss per week? can u lose more than 2pounds of pure fat perweek?

please dont dont reply is answer is uncertain.
    Point the biggest skeptic out, I'll make him a believer.

R.I.P. Koloseum Gym

LOG: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131240113

rbp1583 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Initially I lost like 5lbs in a week but it was all water weight. Afterwards its been a steady 2lbs per week, and sometimes less.

Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I lose about 1lb per day but some for around 2 days I will lose nowt. So yeh I lose about 2-3lbs of fat per week.

But when I come out of a carb up back on ketosis I have lost 4lb in two days.

MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheHeirApparent View Post
    on a normal diet. fat loss rate should be 2pounds per week at most, any more than 2 is considered muscle loss or at risk of muscle loss...Since keto directly breaks down fatty acids is there a limit to fat loss per week? can u lose more than 2pounds of pure fat perweek?

please dont dont reply is answer is uncertain.

2lb a week isn't some scientifically calculated maximum amount - it's a general rule of thumb, based on the principle that diets designed to lose faster are usually so harsh that muscle catabolism becomes a big issue.

You can lose more than 2lb of fat a week, but if you lose fat too fast, your body will probably interpret this as some kind of famine, and will be more inclined to put that fat straight back on again.

Even magic keto diets need to have a calorie defecit, and losing 3 lbs a week means a daily calorie deficit of around 1,500 calories. Most people could never achieve this, because it would mean dropping calories so low that famine reflexes start to kick in, or doing so much cardio that ketones aren't sufficient for energy needs, and your body starts to raid muscle for glucose.

Ketogenic and Bionic. BritishFighter's Avatar
    BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50) BritishFighter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MajorTwang View Post
    2lb a week isn't some scientifically calculated maximum amount - it's a general rule of thumb, based on the principle that diets designed to lose faster are usually so harsh that muscle catabolism becomes a big issue.

You can lose more than 2lb of fat a week, but if you lose fat too fast, your body will probably interpret this as some kind of famine, and will be more inclined to put that fat straight back on again.

Even magic keto diets need to have a calorie defecit, and losing 3 lbs a week means a daily calorie deficit of around 1,500 calories. Most people could never achieve this, because it would mean dropping calories so low that famine reflexes start to kick in, or doing so much cardio that ketones aren't sufficient for energy needs, and your body starts to raid muscle for glucose.
    You seem to be an intelligent person, but at the same time you apparently lack experience with the Ketogenic diet.

2lbs per week on keto is less than the amount of weight lost by the average keto-dieter, who is working the plan correctly. Myself and all of my clients lose at least that amount consistently throughout.

Keto is a "high-fat, adequate protein" diet. Muscle wasting can be avoided almost completely, provided that protein levels are kept at optimum levels at all times, and resistance exercise is practiced religiously.

When someone is in Ketosis, their muscles have already been "raided" for Glucose.......that's glycogen depletion in a nut-shell. Glycogen depletion doesn't cause muscle catabolism directly though.

www.undergroundnutritionist.com

MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000) MajorTwang is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BritishFighter View Post
    You seem to be an intelligent person, but at the same time you apparently lack experience with the Ketogenic diet.
    Thanks for the first bit, but the second is a bit unfair. I've been using low carbs / keto diets since the early 90's, when I finally got (physically) sick of the low fat, high carb diets being popularised at the time.

I don't train other people though, so I'll defer to your greater experience.

When someone is in Ketosis, their muscles have already been "raided" for Glucose.......that's glycogen depletion in a nut-shell. Glycogen depletion doesn't cause muscle catabolism directly though.
    What I meant by 'raiding muscles for glucose' is actually breaking down muscle protein into glucose & urea. My understanding & experience is that ketosis simply can't supply the fuel for 2hours of cardio a day.

I'm not saying that a calorie deficit of 1,500 cals is impossible - just bloody difficult. Obviously, if you're already a lean 220lb bodybuilder who's fully adapted to high volume training under ketosis, it's going to be easier.