Thread: Squats

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Squats

What kind do you do? I'm playing up there with the regular bar and the smith. I tried the smith with my knees and feet forward going down with my thigh parallel to the floor and I tried the regular bar with my feet turned out down to a full squat with my butt touching my calf. Is there a better way to do them?

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are severalthreads about the smith machine vs. barbell for squats ... and lots of info in general on squats if you do a search.

The smith machine is not a good choice for squats, since it restricts movement and actually sets you up for an unnatural form when squatting.

The bar with the full squat is by far the better motion.

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ever since I got back into Crossfit I am digging the squat clean - makes it easier to lift heavier amounts of weight without having to figure out how to get a heavy bar over your head. And I am quite certain it has the same effect on your butt (I am ALWAYS sore).

http://vimeo.com/4603089 for video on how its done.
    Karen

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do Smith squats, feet forward, toes turned out slightly, feet about shoulder width. It's not too different than using a hack squat machine.

Better way is subjective. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, equipment available, and any physical limitations. There's quite a bit of bro science floated about the Smith. Snobbery as well.

Did you have an issue with bb squats?

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The smith feels odd to me but it seems to be working for my mom (62). I like the regular bar. The smith at our gym is one where the rail is at an angle going up not straight up and down. My mom has a problem with balance and holding the bar so I had her do the smith. She's doing them feet forward and it doesn't bother her knee. I have no limitations other than myself.
    I see what you mean about subjective. I have her doing the nrolfw with me.