Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

calling out all d-linemen

this is the first training camp i'm playing defensive end(not including spring ball) and it's been a week now and my forearms are ****ed. like bruises all over the place, i'm working a lot with my hands so that might be the reason, but man... anything to counter that?

chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No.

Every lineman has bruises all over his forearms.

Mine don't even hurt anymore.

bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DriveMyWhey View Post
    this is the first training camp i'm playing defensive end(not including spring ball) and it's been a week now and my forearms are ****ed. like bruises all over the place, i'm working a lot with my hands so that might be the reason, but man... anything to counter that?
    forearm pads..............

DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ok cool, how do you beat the double team?. if i'm on 3 technique then i can beat the double team actually pretty easily(then it's tackle and guard). but when i'm at 5 technique i'm firing off the ball, beating the tackle and all of a sudden i've got the fullback at me. i usually bullrush the fullback and he usually steps on the quarterbacks feet or hits him with his back. but can i get a sack out of this or i should just settle for pressure here?

bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigguy64 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok cool, how do you beat the double team?. if i'm on 3 technique then i can beat the double team actually pretty easily(then it's tackle and guard). but when i'm at 5 technique i'm firing off the ball, beating the tackle and all of a sudden i've got the fullback at me. i usually bullrush the fullback and he usually steps on the quarterbacks feet or hits him with his back. but can i get a sack out of this or i should just settle for pressure here?
    nothing wrong with settling with pressure. Ideally you want to get a sack on every passing play lol unfortunately thats not close to the reality. If you beat the tackle all night you will get your sacks. The full back will not be on you every play. I would say engage with the fullback and then from there its all hands. Throw him to one side and rip through if he has his weight forward throw him in his face. BUt like I said if you beat the tackle all night you'll get your sacks. And causing chaos or disruption in the backfield is a win for dlineman, you dont always need a tackle or sack. Kick the tackles ass do your job and be patient and let the sacks come to you cause you will have opportunities to get em.

cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I play d tackle and after a while your arms get tougher. After about a week my bruises were gone and i stopped getting them. If your not as lucky just buy a arm sleeve there like 20 bucks at sports authority. As far as the double team goes since im usually bigger then my blocker i just grab the guard or center under there pads and shed them. Then i bullrush whoever comes next into the qb. Thats what i would do to the fullback just smash him into the quarterback. And remember every person thats blocking you is leaving one linebacker open to make a tackle.

Originally Posted by bigguy64 View Post
    nothing wrong with settling with pressure. Ideally you want to get a sack on every passing play lol unfortunately thats not close to the reality. If you beat the tackle all night you will get your sacks. The full back will not be on you every play. I would say engage with the fullback and then from there its all hands. Throw him to one side and rip through if he has his weight forward throw him in his face. BUt like I said if you beat the tackle all night you'll get your sacks. And causing chaos or disruption in the backfield is a win for dlineman, you dont always need a tackle or sack. Kick the tackles ass do your job and be patient and let the sacks come to you cause you will have opportunities to get em.
    yeah i thought about throwing a move on the fullback, but isn't it going to take too much time and by the time i'll get free the QB will already pass it? i guess i'll have to try it and see for my self.

Originally Posted by cowzers View Post
    I play d tackle and after a while your arms get tougher. After about a week my bruises were gone and i stopped getting them. If your not as lucky just buy a arm sleeve there like 20 bucks at sports authority. As far as the double team goes since im usually bigger then my blocker i just grab the guard or center under there pads and shed them. Then i bullrush whoever comes next into the qb. Thats what i would do to the fullback just smash him into the quarterback. And remember every person thats blocking you is leaving one linebacker open to make a tackle.
    everyone's arms are going to get used to the bruises, it's stress and adaptation, lol.
    and that's basically what i'm doing when i'm at 5 technique.

chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chad625 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah i thought about throwing a move on the fullback, but isn't it going to take too much time and by the time i'll get free the QB will already pass it? i guess i'll have to try it and see for my self.
    Come at the fullback at an angle then rip in with your right arm if you're coming from the right, left if you're coming from the left, once you've ripped drive him with your arm you ripped with out of the way then go for the QB. The only reason I say do it with one arm is because most people have ****ty hand placement on your level and when you hit them hard as hell they aren't going to be able to get their hands up under your ribcage if you're going fullspeed, the free arm is of course on the QBs inside so if he bolts off trying to run up the middle you've got that arm to snag him and fall down with him.

Originally Posted by chad625 View Post
    Come at the fullback at an angle then rip in with your right arm if you're coming from the right, left if you're coming from the left, once you've ripped drive him with your arm you ripped with out of the way then go for the QB. The only reason I say do it with one arm is because most people have ****ty hand placement on your level and when you hit them hard as hell they aren't going to be able to get their hands up under your ribcage if you're going fullspeed, the free arm is of course on the QBs inside so if he bolts off trying to run up the middle you've got that arm to snag him and fall down with him.
    it sounds really good, but usually our QB won't step inside unless he sees the pressure. it's not just our QB, most if not all of them are like that. the fullback is parallel to the QB when he's blocking, i think...
    and what if he steps backwards when he sees me coming to his inside? i'm not sure if the QBs here are good enough for that but i can't let anyone get past me(on paper my responsibility is force but for some reason my coaches always tell me to play like it's contain).

xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why are you dealing with double teams if your playing d end? just wondering
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret! We must train from the inside out. Using our strengths to attack and nullify any weaknesses. It’s not about denying a weakness may exist but about denying its right to persist.

avi is old
    current physique here
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126675123

Originally Posted by xxyxx View Post
    why are you dealing with double teams if your playing d end? just wondering
    well if they put me in our base front then they shift me into 3 technique and put an outside linebacker at the line of scrimmage, so i'll get double teamed by the guard and tackle, usually though, not always.
    and if it's our basic 4-3 front then they double team because i'll usually get double teamed in games. after our first series in our spring game they started to double team me every play so i guess they're making me get used to that. i mean if it's a pass situation i'll get by the tackle 10/10 times(no bragging), the tackles here are stupid as hell. if they're fat i just speed of the edge and rip and if they're athletic and decent i'll just knock they're hands off. after i'm knocking their hands off i'm already by them so i'm either getting a sack or facing a fullback.

chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dude, football is a contact sport, you're going to get bruised up. When I played in H.S. I looked like someone had been beating me with a stick all day.

just suck it up and lift.

Originally Posted by chmbs1 View Post
    Dude, football is a contact sport, you're going to get bruised up. When I played in H.S. I looked like someone had been beating me with a stick all day.

just suck it up and lift.
    i'm not saying anything, i'm the last person to complain about it, i'm just asking. you're right that it's a bad question to ask, but i'm actually getting some good info regarding the double team stuff.

HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    aright i will give you some thing i like to do in certain situations...

Pass rush vs 2 offensive linemen- beat one at a time, makes no scene to try and beat two ppl at once. take the first one off with one move, then move to the far side of the other offensive linemen and take him on

run/shot yard situation- if u are facing two or tree ppl (or some behemoth) in a wedge situation, i highly doubt you could push all of them back. Simply dive on the ground, cut someones knees or bear crawl. this will cause a mass pile in which no rb will be able to run through and you will free up two LBs to make the play.

things as a DL i never do are spin or swim (for the most part). as a ot it is so easy to block the swim, just slam the dl ribs when him arms come up. and for the swim, you might be able to do that, as you seem for of a quick dl as i am more power. for the most part just stick to rip, and bull rush. you can also just hit the linemens hands down also like you said.

remember... your job is not to get a ton of tackles. I never get tackles, but i get praise for causing continiious double and triple teams, and blowing up the back field.

and the most important thing..... play with a mean streak

hope that helps a lil bit
    “The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.” -Vince Lombardi

moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moose45 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As an LB I occasionally blitz and only have to take on the RB or FB. Normally I can bullrush, and thats what I often do. When facing a larger FB though, I use the rip move combined with a stutter step/shadow step. Its amazing how much I can get any blocker off balance then rip to the other side.
    M.S. Exercise Physiology - Powerlifter - Strength and Conditioning Coach - Personal Trainer
    Current goals: Bench 400, Squat 545, Deadlift 550

Originally Posted by HCCFootball View Post
    aright i will give you some thing i like to do in certain situations...

Pass rush vs 2 offensive linemen- beat one at a time, makes no scene to try and beat two ppl at once. take the first one off with one move, then move to the far side of the other offensive linemen and take him on

run/shot yard situation- if u are facing two or tree ppl (or some behemoth) in a wedge situation, i highly doubt you could push all of them back. Simply dive on the ground, cut someones knees or bear crawl. this will cause a mass pile in which no rb will be able to run through and you will free up two LBs to make the play.

things as a DL i never do are spin or swim (for the most part). as a ot it is so easy to block the swim, just slam the dl ribs when him arms come up. and for the swim, you might be able to do that, as you seem for of a quick dl as i am more power. for the most part just stick to rip, and bull rush. you can also just hit the linemens hands down also like you said.

remember... your job is not to get a ton of tackles. I never get tackles, but i get praise for causing continiious double and triple teams, and blowing up the back field.

and the most important thing..... play with a mean streak

hope that helps a lil bit

are you playing end or d-tackle?
    and i'll ask my coach if he wants me to make piles when i'm at 3 technique.

thanks for the help

Originally Posted by moose45 View Post
    As an LB I occasionally blitz and only have to take on the RB or FB. Normally I can bullrush, and thats what I often do. When facing a larger FB though, I use the rip move combined with a stutter step/shadow step. Its amazing how much I can get any blocker off balance then rip to the other side.
    facing a rb one-on-one is easy as hell, they can't block at all. seriously.

thanks for the help yall, i'm looking for chad625 to respond for that question and leave it alone, as i got info here that i'll put into practice on monday.

HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HCCFootball has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    are you playing end or d-tackle?
    and i'll ask my coach if he wants me to make piles when i'm at 3 technique.
    now i play dt, but i use to play 3tech and some d end when we played a four man front. Now we only have 3 down linemen so i play dt
    “The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.” -Vince Lombardi

cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowzers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HCCFootball View Post
    now i play dt, but i use to play 3tech and some d end when we played a four man front. Now we only have 3 down linemen so i play dt
    If theres three down d lineman you would play nose tackle not d tackle right?

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What HS do you play for?

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey fellow DE. I played 4 years at a 1-AA college as a DE, and the pash rush stuff they taught us was great.

Basically, you gotta set your moves up. Establish the bull rush early. You probably won't get much just trying a new move each play unless you are that much physically better.

Set your moves up for later. Establish a bull rush early and often. Basically, "Hit 'em in the mouth" as the coach says.

Once the opponent feels comfortable that you're gonna bull rush a lot, he'll start bracing and planting his feet. Exploding with more power and momentum into you to counter your bull rush. Then, BINGO, you go to the "push/pull" move, the swim, rip, whatever you are best at. But FIRST you gotta get them to dig those feet in early. After that, beat them with their own momentum with a push pull, or look up some old Warren Sapp hand disruption techniques. All you gotta do is defeat his forearms and you're golden.

But once you set your moves up, we were taught SAVE that good move for a good situation. Don't burn the set-up on a freakin' 2nd down and 3 in the 2nd quarter. Save it for a definite passing down. 3rd and long. 2nd and long.

And I know coaches say "Watch the ball". But the first thing to move, yes, before the ball, for a DE is the outer hamstring of the offensive tackle. That'll twitch and move about .10 seconds before the ball. Get a good feel for the snap count, watch that thigh, and EXPLODE off the ball. It's a bit risky and aggressive, you may get a flag here and there so choose your plays wisely to explode and guess the count. But once you get a feel for their count, and get in tune with that outer thigh, your pass rush will go through the roof. Then, establish the bull rush early, and pick the right moment for your other moves. Sacks will follow.

Some coaches don't like that aggressive style of DE play, in the South, we love it. Speed all day long off the ends. So, hope that was a new perspective you might consider.

Originally Posted by labradarep View Post
    What HS do you play for?
    grant park
    Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
    Hey fellow DE. I played 4 years at a 1-AA college as a DE, and the pash rush stuff they taught us was great.

Basically, you gotta set your moves up. Establish the bull rush early. You probably won't get much just trying a new move each play unless you are that much physically better.

Set your moves up for later. Establish a bull rush early and often. Basically, "Hit 'em in the mouth" as the coach says.

Once the opponent feels comfortable that you're gonna bull rush a lot, he'll start bracing and planting his feet. Exploding with more power and momentum into you to counter your bull rush. Then, BINGO, you go to the "push/pull" move, the swim, rip, whatever you are best at. But FIRST you gotta get them to dig those feet in early. After that, beat them with their own momentum with a push pull, or look up some old Warren Sapp hand disruption techniques. All you gotta do is defeat his forearms and you're golden.

But once you set your moves up, we were taught SAVE that good move for a good situation. Don't burn the set-up on a freakin' 2nd down and 3 in the 2nd quarter. Save it for a definite passing down. 3rd and long. 2nd and long.

And I know coaches say "Watch the ball". But the first thing to move, yes, before the ball, for a DE is the outer hamstring of the offensive tackle. That'll twitch and move about .10 seconds before the ball. Get a good feel for the snap count, watch that thigh, and EXPLODE off the ball. It's a bit risky and aggressive, you may get a flag here and there so choose your plays wisely to explode and guess the count. But once you get a feel for their count, and get in tune with that outer thigh, your pass rush will go through the roof. Then, establish the bull rush early, and pick the right moment for your other moves. Sacks will follow.

Some coaches don't like that aggressive style of DE play, in the South, we love it. Speed all day long off the ends. So, hope that was a new perspective you might consider.
    that's actually some really solid advice, thanks.

i realize that you have to get a feel for it, but how many serieses do you think it takes for him to plant his feet? 4? 5? and my primary pass rush move is speed off the edge, sometimes i won't even rip, but i'm feelin it's perfect for that right?

about the hamstring thing, do you think i should use it on sure pass plays only or on all plays? also do you think that the hamstring thing is a hit or miss and you can clearly see it in game time or something that should be practiced?

seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) seabass08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    grant park

that's actually some really solid advice, thanks.

i realize that you have to get a feel for it, but how many serieses do you think it takes for him to plant his feet? 4? 5? and my primary pass rush move is speed off the edge, sometimes i won't even rip, but i'm feelin it's perfect for that right?

about the hamstring thing, do you think i should use it on sure pass plays only or on all plays? also do you think that the hamstring thing is a hit or miss and you can clearly see it in game time or something that should be practiced?
    Only watch the hamstring/leg on sure passing plays. And of course, it all depends on what play your coach has called. If he has you in a pure reading set, then the speed rush is off anyway, and you'll read run 1st, pass 2nd.

As for getting a feel for the planted feet, it often depends on opponent. I played against some top level 1-AA guys at tackle who were the 6-7 330 pound types, and they take a lot to get them to plant b/c they are so big. A tackle who is smaller, say 6-1 260, he's gotta overcompensate for size by planting his feet and exploding. So, judge it by your opponent and it does take a while to "get the feel" of this type of play.

The hamstring thing and the move set-up is absolutely something to practice. As much as it goes against what some coaches say, at the college level most fast defensive ends don't watch the ball, they watch the leg. They also anticipate the snap count on sure passing plays. But again, gotta go with what your coach says. We were basically set loose on the ends to create as much havoc as possible, so it was easy.

The best way I heard it was like boxing. A boxer doesn't just decide to throw a hook. Then a jab. Then an uppercut. Then a cross. And just randomly throw punches. He sets his punches up. Use the jab to set up the hook, etc.

Look at pass rushing the same way. If you have a good rip move, set it up. The shorter the corner you have to turn, the better, right? So the first couple series, take a sharp, tight angle and attack the chest/outside shoulder hard. "Bull rush" that outer shoulder and bust him in the mouth. Set the tone with that. Then, he'll anticipate you doing that, plant his feet quicker and sooner, and bingo- you pick a nice 2nd or 3rd and long yardage to hit him with a speed rush/rip move.

Once you get good at that, the bull rush to set up the push/pull is a great one, the club/swim combo is great, and above all, remember to DISRUPT HIS HANDS!!!! Too many DE's just run straight in and throw a rip. Well, that big OL is still gonna get his paws on you and punch, probably right you outside. Get very quick and good with your hands, and get good at attacking his punch from his elbows to the wrist, the general forearm area. If you get your timing right, you can swipe his hands down and only have to defeat his forearms, not all 300 pounds of him.

In a perfect move, you will explode off the ball- He will anticipate your rush, plant his feet and punch- and you, while still moving forward, will swipe, chop or disrupt his hands from elbow to wrist, effectively avoiding his punch, and run right by him by following up your quick hand move with a rip or swim.

Sounds like a lot, but it's really simple once you start practicing it. Just remember a few things:

- If his feet are planted firm, he cannot drop step. A few setup bull rushes will make him do that.
    - If he punches at you, just disrupt his hands with yours (swipe, chop, etc) to avoid the impact of his punch
    - Then, follow your quick hand disruption with rip, swim, push/pull, etc.

Look up some old John Randle or Warren Sapp stuff, they were masters of this and it's thats who our former coach learned this technique from. And just think like a boxer. Set up your best moves with other moves early in the game, and the payoff will come on crucial plays. Thats why you don't see a whole lot of sacks on the 1st or 2nd drive of most games.

Oh, and if you are beating a guy with no rip or move at all, just simply out-running him on the corner, then just keep doing that for now. Thats why us DE's are awesome, because we're more athletic than OL's.

So if you are beating him with nothing but pure speed, then don't bother with everything I said, just keep out-running him.

But eventually you're gonna come up against a great offensive tackle who can't be ran around and you'll need technique. All DE's get that "what the hell" moment the first time they face a great OT who they can't just run around. Better to practice now for it than wait til it happens.

Only watch the hamstring/leg on sure passing plays. And of course, it all depends on what play your coach has called. If he has you in a pure reading set, then the speed rush is off anyway, and you'll read run 1st, pass 2nd.

As for getting a feel for the planted feet, it often depends on opponent. I played against some top level 1-AA guys at tackle who were the 6-7 330 pound types, and they take a lot to get them to plant b/c they are so big. A tackle who is smaller, say 6-1 260, he's gotta overcompensate for size by planting his feet and exploding. So, judge it by your opponent and it does take a while to "get the feel" of this type of play.

The hamstring thing and the move set-up is absolutely something to practice. As much as it goes against what some coaches say, at the college level most fast defensive ends don't watch the ball, they watch the leg. They also anticipate the snap count on sure passing plays. But again, gotta go with what your coach says. We were basically set loose on the ends to create as much havoc as possible, so it was easy.

The best way I heard it was like boxing. A boxer doesn't just decide to throw a hook. Then a jab. Then an uppercut. Then a cross. And just randomly throw punches. He sets his punches up. Use the jab to set up the hook, etc.

Look at pass rushing the same way. If you have a good rip move, set it up. The shorter the corner you have to turn, the better, right? So the first couple series, take a sharp, tight angle and attack the chest/outside shoulder hard. "Bull rush" that outer shoulder and bust him in the mouth. Set the tone with that. Then, he'll anticipate you doing that, plant his feet quicker and sooner, and bingo- you pick a nice 2nd or 3rd and long yardage to hit him with a speed rush/rip move.

Once you get good at that, the bull rush to set up the push/pull is a great one, the club/swim combo is great, and above all, remember to DISRUPT HIS HANDS!!!! Too many DE's just run straight in and throw a rip. Well, that big OL is still gonna get his paws on you and punch, probably right you outside. Get very quick and good with your hands, and get good at attacking his punch from his elbows to the wrist, the general forearm area. If you get your timing right, you can swipe his hands down and only have to defeat his forearms, not all 300 pounds of him.

In a perfect move, you will explode off the ball- He will anticipate your rush, plant his feet and punch- and you, while still moving forward, will swipe, chop or disrupt his hands from elbow to wrist, effectively avoiding his punch, and run right by him by following up your quick hand move with a rip or swim.

Sounds like a lot, but it's really simple once you start practicing it. Just remember a few things:

- If his feet are planted firm, he cannot drop step. A few setup bull rushes will make him do that.
    - If he punches at you, just disrupt his hands with yours (swipe, chop, etc) to avoid the impact of his punch

Look up some old John Randle or Warren Sapp stuff, they were masters of this and it's thats who our former coach learned this technique from. And just think like a boxer. Set up your best moves with other moves early in the game, and the payoff will come on crucial plays. Thats why you don't see a whole lot of sacks on the 1st or 2nd drive of most games.
    Oh, and if you are beating a guy with no rip or move at all, just simply out-running him on the corner, then just keep doing that for now. Thats why us DE's are awesome, because we're more athletic than OL's.

So if you are beating him with nothing but pure speed, then don't bother with everything I said, just keep out-running him.

But eventually you're gonna come up against a great offensive tackle who can't be ran around and you'll need technique. All DE's get that "what the hell" moment the first time they face a great OT who they can't just run around. Better to practice now for it than wait til it happens.
    on the speed rush, don't bother with anything you said but still do that bullrush thing, right?

thanks a lot, i'm defiantely going to use them in our game tomorrow(except the hamstring thing, i have to practice that more, i tried it today but they had a new OT so i'm sure he wasn't in tune with the snap count).

the team we're playing more runs a lot of sneaky plays, they run lots of screens, lots, and they'd fake it to the rb, then fake again to the fb, and hand it to the TE or something, so i'm assuming that the bullrush is perfect here, right?
    what about the screens, pick that **** up?

PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This moment was last night for me. The double teams didn't help either.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    Oderint dum metuant

Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I like this guys advices.

xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)

im so guilty of this... ima be so ****ed when i meet my tackle lol.
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret! We must train from the inside out. Using our strengths to attack and nullify any weaknesses. It’s not about denying a weakness may exist but about denying its right to persist.

avi is old
    current physique here
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126675123

on the speed rush, don't bother with anything you said but still do that bullrush thing, right?

thanks a lot, i'm defiantely going to use them in our game tomorrow(except the hamstring thing, i have to practice that more, i tried it today but they had a new OT so i'm sure he wasn't in tune with the snap count).

the team we're playing more runs a lot of sneaky plays, they run lots of screens, lots, and they'd fake it to the rb, then fake again to the fb, and hand it to the TE or something, so i'm assuming that the bullrush is perfect here, right?
    what about the screens, pick that **** up?
    On the speed rush, you just want to make sure your inner shoulder is low when you turn that corner. But, you can set it up a lot better with a few early bull rushes. The tackle will plant his feet early, and give you a shorter corner to turn later in the game. So always attack that outside shoulder early, set up your speed rush for later. If you just speed rush the whole game, it's turn into a dancing contest with the tackle light footed and just using his footwork to dance around in front of you. Make him plant those feet early.

As for screens, mis-direction plays, of course follow what the defensive play has called for you to do. But on a pash rush scenario, yeah, a bull rush would be a good move on that because you won't create much of an alley, and two, you'll hold that lineman up a second or two and keep him from releasing to the LB's.

As for picking the RB up, depends on how close you are to the QB. Getting a shot on QB is always good, but if you aren't close, and the RB is right there, take it. Or even better, pick off the pass.

Good luck though. The advanced pass rush stuff takes a while to get good at. It took our college about 1 year to get used to it, but once we did, our defensive line's sack totals for the year went from 20 in one season, to 56 the next, basically with the same 8 players rotating in. It works....just gotta work at it and be patient.

Originally Posted by xxyxx View Post
    im so guilty of this... ima be so ****ed when i meet my tackle lol.
    When you do, just remember: you only have to beat his hands. He's not an octopus, he only has 2 arms. If you disrupt his "punch" by swiping his hands from elbow to wrist, he has nothing to punch with. But it has to be fast, and you have to be moving fast to run by immediately as you swipe those hands. Watch old Warren Sapp stuff on you tube, he's the master of disrupting hands.

On the speed rush, you just want to make sure your inner shoulder is low when you turn that corner. But, you can set it up a lot better with a few early bull rushes. The tackle will plant his feet early, and give you a shorter corner to turn later in the game. So always attack that outside shoulder early, set up your speed rush for later. If you just speed rush the whole game, it's turn into a dancing contest with the tackle light footed and just using his footwork to dance around in front of you. Make him plant those feet early.

As for screens, mis-direction plays, of course follow what the defensive play has called for you to do. But on a pash rush scenario, yeah, a bull rush would be a good move on that because you won't create much of an alley, and two, you'll hold that lineman up a second or two and keep him from releasing to the LB's.

As for picking the RB up, depends on how close you are to the QB. Getting a shot on QB is always good, but if you aren't close, and the RB is right there, take it. Or even better, pick off the pass.

Good luck though. The advanced pass rush stuff takes a while to get good at. It took our college about 1 year to get used to it, but once we did, our defensive line's sack totals for the year went from 20 in one season, to 56 the next, basically with the same 8 players rotating in. It works....just gotta work at it and be patient.
    i had my game yesterday. basically i established the bullrush early like you said, and it worked wonderfully. but one thing, should i have speed rushed on punt return? on one hand it's my job but on the other it will show the tackle that i can run around him.
    about midway to the 2nd quarter i was cheap shotted on kickoff and reinjured my shoulder so i couldn't keep with my bullrush so i had to speed off the edge on every play, once the tackle recognized the pattern he always came outside and basically gave up the inside, do you think i should have cut inside sometimes? because i did that a lot, lol