Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000)

Painthappy's Workout Journal

Well, I turned 36 last November, never been a big weight lifter, but mid last year decided to turn everything around.

Been a long time member/lurker on bb, but this is my first real foray into posting on the site, increasing my education, and having the will to put myself out there for criticism.

I have a fairly extensive home gym, and work out there. I live in the country side and getting to a good gym around here is hard to come by. Most gyms in my area are all nautilus machines, and very few free weights. Have odd hours, etc. I found it easier, though more expensive, to have my own gym. I'll post up photos later.

Background

Was always in good shape, into sports, etc. Got married, and still am 13 years later. My daughter is 8 now. When my wife was pregnant it all went out the window. I gained a ton of weight. Somehow never lost it, despite all my efforts. Well... I would... But I would yo-yo back.

Recently

Starting last year, I finally snapped and said enough. I starting lifting using the Starting Strength program. I also ran in a race series last year and joined a track club for running. My wife is a runner and wins or places in most of the races. So she's great motivation for me.

Back to lifting... I was doing the 5 x 5 program, but changed up to a 3 x 5 when my squatting weight got over 240 lbs. I couldn't get enough rest doing a heavy 5 x 5 program and squatting 3 times a week.

Currently

As of today, I've lost roughly 30 lbs. Currently weigh ~ 205 - Height is 5' 10"
    I've recently changed up my weight lifting program. It's still a noobish program and due for another change in probably two months. But I'm all for building a good foundation, plus since I'm looking to still lose weight and fat, I'm not going to expect any major gains.

Lifting/Exercise Program

I'm doing my upper body twice a week, and my lower once a week.

Tuesday and Saturday:
    Incline Bench Press - 3 x 8 (I have a rotator cuff injury that doesn't allow for a flat bench press)
    Upright Rows - 3 x 8
    Overhead Press - 3 x 8
    Lat Pull Downs - 3 x 8
    Curls - 3 x 8
    Bent Over Row - 3 x 8

(I added in the curls, while not really needed with all the other compound exercises, figured why not)

Now I do my lower body once a week

Friday:
    Squats - 5 x 5 (reset the weight, and I'm currently lifting 230 lbs on a 5 x 5 with two warm-up sets not included)
    Deadlift - 1 x 5

Running Program:

I running on my off days. Usually 3 or 4 miles at an 8:34 pace (7 mph) and I spend one day a week running 3 miles at my race pace which is a 7:30 pace (8 mph). I've always figured if I can run that far and at that speed at my current weight, I should be able to drop 15 more lbs and finally be able to keep up with my wife. (She can break 20 minute 5k's).

Where I want to go from here? And, what am I looking for?

I want to increase my lifts, but more so, I want to keep eating clean like I have and keep losing weight. My program may not be ideal for most, but it seems to work for me. I would eventually like to get a more ideal and broken down lifting program, but I've been holding out until I get into the lower 190's in weight before I make that change. Advice and comments/critique are definitely welcomed.

My motivation has surprisingly been high, and I want to keep it high, hence I'm starting this journal.
    Last edited by painthappy; 01-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen.

painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000) painthappy is just really nice. (+1000)
    My gym:

hxxp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7007/6697469569_0a62927e03_z.jpg
    (can't post links or images due to not enough posts... Figures. Long time member, not a great poster)

Today's workout:

Squats:
    two warm up sets
    then
    5 sets, 5 reps (5 x 5) - 230 lbs

I filmed the squats for later critique

Bench: 3 x 8 - 180 lbs
    Upright Row: 3 x 8 - 80 lbs
    OHP (dumbbells) 3 x 8 - 40 lbs
    Lat Pull Downs: 3 x 8 - 150 lbs
    Curls (dumbbells): 3 x 8 - 40 lbs

Everything went overly smooth and easy. Didn't struggle on a thing. Again, this is mostly because I reset my weights (lowered them from what I was doing earlier) as I either upped my sets or upped the number of reps and wanted to work my way back up again while I was on this diet.

Ran 3 miles today on the treadmill... Too damn cold outside. That and the fact I live in the hills. Steep hills. As in the Edmund Hillary that climbed Everest would be impressed by the hills around me.

Anyways: 7:30 pace (8 MPH) for 3 miles. Despite my heavy squatting yesterday.

In short it wasn't a fluke last week when I originally hit this mark. I really can run that fast for that long. Feels good.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Welcome! Glad you've lost 30lbs. That's great! I smiled about your weight gain when your wife was pregnant. Sorry. It brought back memories. My husband gained 42lbs with my first child and I gained 24. lol Unfortunately for him, I had a baby and he still had the weight. He's since lost it and is in good shape.

Looking forward to seeing your home gym photos! I have one also, but go to the commercial gym also.

I imagine you do think it's cold out. I thought it was cold here today.

Oh -- and nice job on the cardio too!

Happy 2012!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot of similarities in our stories. I have been back to working out for many more years.

Glad you are starting a journal!

Thanks everyone... Need all the motivation I can get
    Keeping up with the journal:

Upper body routine last night.

Bench Press - 3 x 8 - 190 lbs
    Upright Row - 3 x 8 - 85 lbs
    Overhead Press - 3 x 8 - 45 lb dumbbells - Did not complete - 8 reps / 6 reps / 3 reps
    Lat Pull Downs - 3 x 8 - 150 lbs
    Curls - 3 x 8 - 40 lb dumbbells - Hammer curl (tweaky wrist on right hand) completed, but just barely.
    Bent Over Rows - 3 x 8 - 40 lbs (first time adding them in just for the fun of it.)

Now I know I'm overworking a few muscle groups, but since I don't plan on sticking with this routine for more than a couple of months, I figured it would be ok. Only doing upper like this twice a week, so I'm good. It feels good, enough recovery, etc.

Doing legs on Thursday, and then upper on Saturday again. Used to do legs on Friday, but with skiing I have to move that workout.

Running tonight. 4 miles at 7 mph (8:34 pace)

Well, 4 miles at 7 mph, turned into 1. I think my hamstring in the back of my leg was just tight. Tried to run through it, but it was painful, and having one too many injuries that set me too far back, I decided to walk it out. Barely broke a sweat after a mile.

Oh well... A rest day.

Will try the run again tomorrow.

Squats last night.

Feeling good still.

5 x 5
    235 lbs

No problem and not much struggle.

Skiing tonight and tomorrow... New snow, so should be good. Must NOT eat at the base lodge. If I must, they sell yogurt too. Iceboating on Sunday. Jam packed weekend.

Weighed in at 203.6

Upper body workout last night.

Bench Press - 3 x 8 - 190 lbs (failed on last set)
    Upright Row - 3 x 8 - 85 lbs
    Overhead Press - 3 x 8 - 40 lb dumbbells
    Lat Pull Downs - 3 x 8 - 150 lbs
    Curls - 3 x 8 - 40 lb dumbbells - No problem this time
    Bent Over Rows - 3 x 8 - 40 lbs

I went skiing today and didn't eat very well. Not eating well meaning, didn't eat enough. There is a fine line of trying to lose weight and cut, and having enough energy to lift weights. I did NOT have enough energy to lift tonight. I can feel it this morning. My muscles are a bit more fatigued than normal.

Weight 203.3

Down a bit more. Lost slightly over 2 lbs this past week. Doing what I can to maintain my lifting, if not incease the weight on my lifts. My goal was to hit under 200 by the end of January. Don't think I'll make that, but it's a fine goal still as I have a week and a half left to try and make it. Won't kill myself either way though. Just staying on course. I've currently found something that works for me (workout, eating, etc).

Leg is better, so back on the treadmill for a slow run today, and speed workout tomorrow at my current race pace (7:30 min/mile) Debating if I should move it up just a tad to keep increasing my speed. Might just do that.

On a side note, met a few old friends at the resort yesterday that I haven't seen in a while and just about everyone commented about my progress. That feels good. People that see you daily don't notice it much... So it helps remind you that it is working and it is worth it.

Also hit a few jumps on the ski resort with young abandon. Was able to do a few tricks and when I landed, I didn't land like a ton of bricks. Losing 30ish lbs makes a world of a difference over last year.

Found my aerobic / anaerobic threshold last night. Decided to up my racepace speed from 7:30 pace to a 7:03 pace. Basically from 8 mph to 8.5 mph.

I hit a mile and a half, roughly over 10 minutes and my heart rate climbed and I lost it. I probably could have sucked it up for another 1/2 mile, but that would have been it for sure.

It's funny how I can easily run a 5k at 8 mph, but move it up only .5 mph, and you can't do it.

Well, now I know what to work on. I'll keep it up at 8.5 mph until I can make my 5k at that speed. I figure it should take me 5 or 6 weeks to complete. I'll keep my standard runs at 7 mph and keep doing the 3 or 4 miles at that pace.

Lifting tonight and maybe an easy jog after.

Weighed in at 203 even this morning.

Lifting - Upper body routine.

Bench Press - 3 x 8 - 190 lbs
    Upright Row - 3 x 8 - 90 lbs (moved up in weight)
    Overhead Press - 3 x 8 - 40 lb dumbbells (done with no issue)
    Lat Pull Downs - 3 x 8 - 150 lbs (Should have moved up in weight, but forgot to do so)
    Curls - 3 x 8 - 40 lb dumbbells
    Bent Over Rows - 3 x 8 - 40 lbs

Running 3 miles tonight at a ~8:00 pace
    Last edited by painthappy; 01-25-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Did my 3 miles... Moved it up to a 7:30 pace. Not bad, felt good.

Was supposed to do squats tonight, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm putting them off until tomorrow.

I have a beer here... I haven't had one in months. Literally. Lost a ton of weight, and I feel like I deserve a treat, but the will power I still have won't let me have it.

Torn.

Maybe tomorrow after a day of burning calories.

Well... I win.

It was Painthappy vs the Treadmill, and the outcome wasn't pretty...

8.2 mph for 3 miles.. well.. Almost 3 miles. Smoke from the circuit board. That CAN'T BE GOOD...

ProForm 550, you were good, but I won this battle. Better luck next time with someone who has a new years resolution they can't keep....

Haven't fallen off the wagon, just haven't been posting. Will try and do a better job posting.

Changed up my routine and decided to follow this program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/m...lding/training

I can hardly walk today. And that's from the Monday leg workout. Today's Wednesday. Ouch. DOMS... Big Time!

Recapping Monday's workout:

Squats, leg curls, leg extensions, calf raises, deadlifts... Wow...

Knowing I was going to be busting up my legs with more than just a simple squat, I deloaded to start this workout. I dropped it to 205 lbs, and did a 3 x 8. It was easily done, but my legs are paying for all those other exercises they're not used to doing.

Will slowly increase my weight as I stay on this program for the next 8 to 12 weeks.

Last night was chest and triceps. Great workout overall. I skipped the "dips" part and added in a different exercise as I can't dip due to my bad right shoulder. I tried, but if I went any lower my shoulder was going to give out. Not worth it.

Cardio today. Still no treadmill. I'll have to run outside or do the bike down stairs. I'll find something to do.

Sadly life keeps getting crazy.

I haven't fallen off the wagon as I said earlier. Just maintaining. I think it was a needed break for my body. Well... I'm back and still going on my weight loss journey.

Proof from this morning:

DSC_0154.JPG

I was a pound lower on Saturday, but was probably dehydrated. Drank lots of water last night. But still sitting under 200. Basically, it's NOT a fluke. Did weights last night, and hitting the treadmill tonight.

Track has started back up (speed work on Wednesdays), and I recently completely my 3rd 5k road race of the year last Friday.

My next goal is to keep eating well, working out, and get myself down to 195, and from there under 190. Under 190 is my ultimate goal. From there, I'm just going to play it by ear and see what my body looks like. I have a feeling that around the high 170's to low 180's will be perfection for my body type and muscle structure.

I'll know more after I drop another 10 lbs.

EDIT: By the way... this is the first time I've been under 200 lbs in probably 10 years, easy.

Weigh in this morning was 198.7

In New York City now... Posting from the hotel. Hopefully won't all go to hell while eating out. Drinking water, trying to make good food decisions.

The good news is that there is a gym in the basement. I mean, it might be a hotel gym, but it has honest to goodness free weights, treadmill, etc. Here's to keeping forward momentum and progress going in the right direction.

Back from NYC... Gained 2 lbs. Weighed in at 200.7

Really? Unbelievable. While I didn't go crazy eating like crap, I still watched what I ate overall. Shared a thin crust pizza, ate only 1/2 a plate of gnocci and pesto that night... Pretty sure that's all I ate that day too. Had water, and when we stopped into McDonalds for a happy meal for the kiddo, I only got an unsweetened Iced Tea. Next day, had pancakes (2 of them), bacon, and syrup. Had a coffee later on... and eventually an order of dumplings from a street vendor, and a protein bar later on.

Ride home I had a Dogfish Head beer. Didn't even have dinner. A few hard candies that was being passed around the group. So... Somehow, with that, I'm up 2 lbs. Go figure. I even walked the soles of my shoes off... Must be more salt than my body is used to having, and that's the first beer I've had in a while too.

Back on track this morning.

... And back on track. Weigh in was 198.4 this morning.

Sugar. It kills me. Now, understand; I LOVE sugar. I can put a ton of it in my morning coffee, pile on the half and half and enjoy. To the point where it's just not normal and people will give me the "do you want coffee with your sugar?"

It's a major factor I've had to just cut out. While I love sugar in my hot coffee, I can easily drink iced coffee black, with no sugar or cream. So that's what I'm doing. No sugar, no insulin spike, no retaining of fat.

Anyhow:

Took the two dogs out for a jog around my neighborhood last night. If you knew the hilly terrain, you would be impressed. 10:00 minute pace. That's with the hills and dog pee stops (I made it all the way around without peeing.. Unlike the dogs... )

Roughly 2 miles. I don't think they have it in them yet to make it twice around. Well, one of them does, the other I had to basically drag up the last hill.

Lifting again tonight. More squats. I've found that if I have large amounts of protein right after lifting, the DOMS isn't as bad. Lifted Sunday, have just shy of 50 grams of protein (46 grams - two scoops of whey), drank it, went to bed. Felt better the next day. Will do it again tonight. Track day tomorrow (5k sprinting).

Another month on my current lifting program and then I plan on changing it up. Been reading about the 5/3/1 program. Not sure yet. I'm still trying to lose weight, so making major muscle growth gains and trying to lose weight doesn't really coincide with each other.

Back to my iced coffee....

197.9 this morning. Starting to pay better attention with what I eat and making sure I eat enough. Doing better with exercise and losing / shedding fat through exercise. Feed the muscle, burn the fat.

Seems to be working. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.

my next mini goal is 195, and it's so close I can almost taste it. I'm busting my ass every day to make that goal in two weeks. I'm very focused right now. It's at this point, where the muscles will start to really show. The next 10 lbs lost. From there I'll have another 10 to go most likely, but I'm going to take stock on it all after the next 10 lbs, change up some routines, recheck my macros, etc.

Like I said. Focused.

Track workout tonight (sprint workout at a local track). Looking forward to that.

~ 15 lbs to go

Roughly 38 lbs lost since my heaviest 10 months ago. Yeah, I'm not one of those get it done in 90 days infomercials. Reality is a bitch huh?
    Speaking of infomercials, watching one right now... Wife and kid went away for the weekend, so the dogs and I are watching mindless TV... Anyhow, I was watching this workout program and the people's before and after. Very impressive. What I notice the most is, my body now, looks like many of their "before" photos. I think before all of this stuff like that would have depressed me into thinking there's little hope, but now, it actually gives me hope that I'm that close to my goals.

Squats today: 250 lbs - working back up after my big deload.
    Overhead Press and Deadlift later on today. My deadlift weights match up with my squats. I realize they should be higher, but I'm not exactly trying, just maintaining on this cut.

My leg workout usually goes like this: Grab the weights in my squat rack. Do 5 reps (squats), then do 5 to 10 reps for my calves. Repeat 3 times each. When finished I put the loaded bar onto the safty bars, so I can then get it onto the floor for my deadlifts. This way I can speed up my workout without having to change the weights.

Ideal? Probably not, but it seems to be working for me.

More squats... Too damn many if you ask me. I honestly can't wait to drop the SS workout. Couple more months.

Squats 255 lbs
    Bench 190 lbs
    Upright Rows 60 lbs (bad right shoulder, working it very VERY slowly)

No problem on any of the above.

Speed workout tonight for running.

Weighed in at: 196.9

Was trying to take some progress photos, but the lighting is bad, did them in the morning so nothing is showing and popping, and frankly I look the same if you ask me. I'm almost 10 lbs lighter, but I didn't see a difference. I'll post the photo anyhow, maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Squatted 260, Deadlift 260

Weight = 195.8

Ordered a cable cross-over piece of equipment for my home gym. Very excited. Will have to have friends over and start charging admission to make my money back.

Carter's Iron Bar Gym - It is now dubbed.

Created a Lean Body Mass and Healthy Weight Excel Calculator for my friends just getting into dieting.
    You can download it here:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/fitness/LBM Calculator.xls - Current version 1.1

The people I've done the calipers on, and then run the calculator are all surprised at what they should weigh, or better said: Could weigh. Especially when they see what 5 lbs of extra fat looks like.

Anyhow, if you're reading, please feel free to download and use it. Free to use and abuse.

Still cutting...

My original goal was under 190. I'd like to officially move it to 185.

Weighed in at 188.5 this morning.

Laid off the squats for a while after a knee issue. Reset them to 205 lbs. Working my way back up. First time squatting for weight after two months. Serious case of the DOMS. I mean, ouch x 10. The weight wasn't heavy for me, but the next day I felt it. Lifted 210 last night as if they were no big deal, and this morning no soreness. Made sure I had two scoops of protein powder right after my workout and a serving of BCAA's. That along with muscle memory, I'm feeling good and looking forward to getting back to doing 300 lbs.

Still working on trimming down. Aiming for 180 now.

It's crazy, every time I get near my goal, I move it lower. It's great to make these marks and exceed expectations, but I simply over estimate (or is it under estimate) my % of body fat. Basically I have more than I think I do, so I miscalculate my lean body mass. Frankly I'm not impressed with the calipers lately. Every time I use them I get the same result. My body is leaning out, abs are starting to show, but my stubborn spot happens to be the last of the abs AND also happens to be where you take caliper measurements. Go figure.

I've been thinking 18%, but at this point, who knows...

Just plugging away still.

186.5 as of this morning.

Still have a bit of blubber on the belly... Navel to hips. Lifting heavy, supplements, and taking BCAA to keep the muscle where it is.

Latest photo:

Squats were 220 lbs - 3 x 5 today
    OHP
    and Deadlifts

Coming back from a sore knee, felt it a little bit today, but tighted up my stance, and no pain. Felt good overall. Forgot my belt and might as well have been bare foot. No problem, actually, yes... I feel great about it.

I need to smile more. Looking at the above picture, I've got this stupid look to my face. Oh well.

Lifting heavy tonight... Looking forward to it. I'm still on a simple beginner starting strength routine as it's been working for me and I have room to grow with it still (due to resetting after my injury), but I'm tired of it. I feel like there should be more to my workouts. My diet needs to continue to cut out the fat around my mid region, but I also need to work on developing my chest.

The problem with my chest is my right shoulder. I'm sure I tore something years ago in my rotator cuff. It's not horrible, but bad enough where there is pain if I try and do a flat bench. Using dumbbells or cables I seem get a fair workout in, but I feel limited.

Hell, I'm feeling limited with my workouts in general. My body is still progressing, but my head is telling me it's time to change it up. I want to get more out of my workouts.

lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lunchbreak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not looking bad at all chap. If you stick with the program you should bust through your old squat levels without too much trouble. I don't know what to suggest with the bench, does it hurt at any weight or only at near maximum? Are you sure your form is spot on when you get heavy?

Thanks...

Long story short (if I can): My goal was to work up to two plates each side of the bar many years ago. I did it. But in the process of worrying about "glamor" muscles, I neglected my shoulders and others. Eventually I out lifted my shoulder is the best way to explain it. If I was to lift 80 lbs on a flat bench, holding a bar, I would be in pain. Give me two dumbbells, and I'd push them out like nothing was there. I believe it has something with the ability to twist my wrist. Not exactly sure, but what I do know is, my shoulder, in a specific movement, hurts like hell. Sadly my form is correct. I wish it was that simple. I'm assuming I have a tear in my cuff as it's been 8 years now since the incident.

You know what... For you, tonight, I'll try the bench and slowly add on weight until my shoulder says no. It feels good, and I've babied it for far too long being paranoid about it.

It's a lifting day for my chest anyhow.

Otherwise, I'll have to stick to the cables for now and just try going heavier.

Tried the flat bench with the bar - 135 lbs total weight. Nope. I mean, I could easily lift it, that's not a question but after 1 rep I could feel my shoulder wanting to explode.

With the dumbbells or cables --> I can have my wrists as a 45 degree turn and it takes the pressure off my shoulder. Why such a minute maneuver makes a difference is beyond me, but it does.

So I've decided to add in cable crossovers and upright flys into my routine for chest days. Basically expanding my SS routine I seem comfortable with and am currently following.

I've already added in chin-up to fail on the other days, so adding in workouts is nothing new for me.

Squats 225 lbs (5 x 3) no problem last night. Knee feels good, no residual pain, and no DOMS either today. I've been laying off the cardio for a few weeks, due to my knee but time to add it back in. I'll either bike or do a light jog (6 mph) on the treadmill and watch tv for a bit tonight.