Page 1 of 203 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Memoirs of a Tough Old Bastard: the Resurrection of MHL

Death be not proud,
    though some have called thee
    mighty and dreadful,
    for, thou art not so,
    for, those, whom thou think'st,
    thou dost overthrow…

- John Donne

Memoirs of a Tough Old Bastard

…the resurrection of MHL

Desire

Dedication

Discipline

"First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Contents

Contents

Preface

Acknowledgement

Introduction

Prologue

Training Philosophy

The Journal

- Training Logs

- Split Routine Updates

- Progress Pics

- Contest Results

Rest Day Diversions

- The RDMC: The Rest Day Motivational Clip

- Culinary Notes

- Articles of Interest

- The Blog Test Kitchen

- Status Reports

- …or just silence if things get too busy on the home front.

Epilogue

The “old, tough bastard” Theme Song...play vid and continue below

Preface

Preface

I’m not sure when I first became a bodybuilder. But the idea first entered my head upon seeing a glossy magazine with huge guy emblazoned on the cover during the summer of 1981. Ideas, of course, have consequences. And that crazy idea has led to an odyssey of workouts that have taken me to backyard gyms propped up by rusting equipment, make-shift gyms in garages, high school gymnasiums, boxing gyms (with Emanuel Steward’s boxing crew in Detroit, no less!), and even slick spa-like fitness centers. If you truly love training, then you find a way.

But human beings have a way of doing terrible things to those that love them the most. Bodybuilding is a demanding partner in a relationship that requires constant attention. Somewhere along the way it all fell apart. No flipping of tables in restaurants or tense arguments in front of friends – we just drifted apart. One minute, Chris Dickerson is smiling on the cover of the inaugural issue of Flex Magazine and I’m doing my first set of concentration curls. The next minute, another one-time Olympian – Dexter – ascends Mt. Olympus and I’m on the couch eating Pop Tarts and well over 30% body fat.

When I first competed as a bodybuilder at the age of 16, I was naďve enough to believe that anything was possible. I just didn’t know any better. But now I’ve been around the block a few times. I have no illusions of climbing Mt. Olympus, but the act of will that took me from > 30% body fat to the single digits transforms both the body and the mind. And oddly enough, as an age 40-plus, lifetime natural athlete, everything feels wide open again. Just like in 1981…

Acknowledgement

The life of the journal is in no small part attributable to the feedback that ranged from gentle encouragement to outright cajoling from Vox, Ironwill, and 2nd_Chance. Props also go to the Devil Dog Virtual Lifting Crew, ajk_ii and A-Train, who got me back in the habit of logging my workouts. And finally, a word of thanks goes to the O35 Forum regulars, and RafMorris37 and the guys at GMU, for providing an endless source of motivation through example (and displaying a low tolerance for BS).

Introduction

Introduction

The purpose of this journal is similar to others posted in the O35 Forum – no need to belabor the obvious. I hope to learn from an organized record of my gym performance, benefit from the knowledge of others on the site, and perhaps offer a few insights to the 3 to 4 readers of this perpetual log book.

The overarching goal is to continue to forge a physique worthy of competing against other Masters-level athletes at national-level, drug-tested competitions.

Specific objectives are:
    • Maintain high workout intensity while incurring no new injuries
    • Continue to focus on gaining lean body mass while maintaining 10% body fat over the next 9 months
    • Develop better form on the basic powerlifting movements
    • Move my total from approximately 1100 to 1200 during this off-season
    • Conduct a few self-experiments to determine the best diet approach for the next contest prep
    • Get on stage and win in 2011

I will try to post the details of my workouts within 24 hours unless work or family issues demand more time than usual. I’m no poundage whore, but I will probably post the weights used in the sessions along with the volume/frequency info.

Any questions..? Okay…let’s get to work.

Prologue

Prologue

Where I’m coming from…

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over...harrislove.htm

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121746831

Where I’ve been….

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=124884701

Where I’m going…

Return to competition in October 2011

Where I’m at…

Status at the Start of the Journal:
    Body Fat: est.11%
    Weight: 192

Off-Season Diet:
    Macronutrient ratios: 1.0 to 1.2 g of protein, 1.5 to 2.0 g of carbohydrate, and 0.25 to 0.35 g of fat per lb of body weight.

Supps:
    Protein, BCAAs, creatine, multi, joint supplement

Pharmacological History (this IS BB.com, after all):
    A lotta’ folks on the BB.com boards like to make a big deal about what “natty” is and is not, so I want to make this plain. I am a lifetime natural. No PH, no AAS, no ancillary gear, etc, etc – ever. (Unless, Pop Tarts count as gear…) But I am a libertarian on the issue; what YOU do is YOUR business.

Pertinent Injuries/Physical Constraints (this IS an O35 Workout Journal, after all):
    • L5 disk (1993, 2009, 2010): no more Oly bar seated military presses or leg presses (but more squats instead…go figure)
    • Arthritic hands and knees (longstanding): even negotiating stairs was difficult until a change in squat form and starting joint supps in 2009; used Smith machine squats exclusively from Nov 2008 to April 2010
    • Left (2009) and right (2010) bicipital tendonitis: ceased heavy bicep work; bent over rows >300 lbs on hold
    • Right wrist extends only 20 degrees (since birth): no real Oly lifting (I am able to do modified clean and presses or just standing overhead presses)
    • Flat feet/crappy ankles (since birth; currently use orthotics): calf training and cardio is a bitch, but it gets done

Other than that, I’m all good!

Training Philosophy

Training Philosophy

”The mind is the result of the torments the flesh undergoes or inflicts upon itself”

- Emile M. Cioran

Early influences: Other than the muscle mag approach to weight lifting (read: an emphasis on isolation exercises and body part split routines), I was pretty much on my own in the beginning. Of course, in the beginning you can pretty much do everything wrong and make some progress. I eventually hooked up with a bunch of guys in the neighborhood and we took a kinda’ Lord of the Flies approach to finding our way around a bench. Later on, my meager efforts garnered some attention over time, and guys from the high school football team would encourage me come in the weight room and workout with them. This training mostly consisted of circuit training on Universal weight lifting machines and “Whaddya’ bench?” contests when the coaches left the weight room.

I made it to a commercial gym once I started working regularly, but I never considered going up to some of the big guys to ask them what they were doing. Some of the guys were pretty good, too. William Dabish (the original owner of Powerhouse #1 in Detroit) and Ron Love both competed in the NPC National Bodybuilding Championships the year that Bob Paris and Charles Glass earned their pro cards. Ron would later go on to win Nationals and win 3 IFBB shows.

Ron Love, IFBB Pro

I stumbled across the writings of Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer and I was intrigued with what I read. I became a HIT convert (at least, based on how I understood it) and trained in this style until I took a major break in training when I moved from Michigan in 1987.

Jones, Viator, and Nautilus equipment

My recent take on HIT, more or less, can be found here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post340943081

That was then, this is now: After more training breaks/comebacks than I can count, I backed away from the extremes of HIT and assumed a more conventional style of training. But I still avoided the Big 3 lifts. I have relatively long arms, which translates into lousy bench press numbers. And my knees (and form) were not the best, so squats were always painful. And I never, ever attempted deads.

I did see Oly lifting and the Big 3 lifts in a new light after spending a semester with a weight lifting coach at the university when I returned to school. But by then, the instruction was just a curiosity. I didn’t even use the campus gym anymore…I was hell bent on just getting out of school and finding a decent job.

Today, I am much less dogmatic about my training. My openness to new training techniques and my willingness to take a second look at the Big 3 lifts has revitalized my workouts. My old muscle mags were replaced by Starting Strength, the work of Tate and Wendler, Bompa’s take on periodization, and basic physiology textbooks. In truth, trendy terms like HST or FST-7 training don’t mean much to me these days – in the end, it’s all sets, reps, workload, nutrition, and recovery. And, yes, sound training theory is good, but gut-busting effort is the essential ingredient.

Training Philosophy (cont.)

Training Philosophy (cont.)

Crib notes: my workout scheme, undulating periodization, can be summarized by saying that I work in lower reps and higher reps within the same workout (most of the time).

Periodization cycles:

Cycle 1: Challenge Phase (establish max working weight; 4-6 reps)
    Cycle 2: Dynamic Phase (with resistance bands; 4-6 and 8-12 rep schemes; explosive work/fast rep speed)
    Cycle 3: Strength Phase (ex., pin presses, partials, box squats, or rack deads; 4-6 and 8-12 rep schemes; slow rep speed)
    Cycle 4: Endurance Phase (10-15+ reps)

Training Notes:

- The rep schemes apply to the basic lifts only; the approach to accessory work is instinctive.

- I seem to have an inability to deload, so I take a 1-week winter and summer training breaks.

- Basic lifts are done in style similar to Max-OT where the goals are attaining solid form, making the target weight, and generous rest periods (2-3 min) to ensure maximal loads. No HIT techniques are used for this part of the routine. In contrast, my HIT roots come out for the accessory movements, and my number of sets tend to be lower (unless the job calls for rack runs or some other type of madness). Since I use a variety of exercises, I still manage to hit my target volume despite using fewer sets during isolation movements.

- The Endurance Phase of the program is no walk in the park for me. My body prefers loads in the 4-6 rep range, so I have to dig deep to do 15 reps even with an unloaded bar!

- Weight lifting typically takes about 90 minutes. About 15 – 30 min of cardio (moderate or high intensity) usually follows weight training UNLESS quads or hams are featured body parts. “Rest days” include 60 min of fasted LISS cardio and training for abs whenever possible.

- The “Big 3” lifts have been expanded to the “Big 4”: bench press, deads, squats, and military press/standing overhead press.

Split routine:

Day 1 Deads w/Back + Rear Delts
    Day 2 Bench w/Triceps + Calves
    Day 3 Active rest
    Day 4 Squats w/Biceps + Forearms
    Day 5 Overhead Press w/Calves
    Day 6 Active rest

2010 - 2011 Off-Season: Progress Assessments
    • Aug 15, 2010
    • Nov 21, 2010
    • March 27, 2011
    • July 3, 2011
    Last edited by mharrislove; 08-28-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm in.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Overhead presses w/calves

DELTS/TRAPS

warm up: standing DB presses, 1 set; rotator cuff cable work (int/ext rotation), 3 sets; seated machine military presses, 2 sets

Seated military presses in the Smith machine (to the front)
    bar x 10 wu
    135 x 10 wu
    185 x 6
    225 x 6
    245 x 4
    185 x 10
    185 x 10
    185 x 9

Seated DB presses (First time doing these in a couple of months due to the previous right arm injury)
    60 x 10
    75 x 8
    85 x 6

Leaning, single-arm DB laterals
    35 x 15
    35 x 12
    35 x 10

BB Upright rows (Also, the first time doing these in a couple of months due to the previous right arm injury)
    80 x 15
    100 x 12
    120 x 10

Superset: BB front raises and steering wheel front raises (1 steering wheel rep = front raise, turn right and front raise, turn left)
    50 x 15
    60 x 12
    ----- Steering wheels
    45 lb plate x 10

Shrugs
    275 x 15
    365 x 8
    275 x 12
    --- done in reverse, Haney style...
    275 x 12
    275 x 10
    225 x 15

CALVES

Standing heel raises (max stack = 300 lbs)
    120 x 15
    160 x 15
    180 x 10
    240 x 10
    ----drop sets
    200 x 6
    180 x 5
    160 x 5

Sloped heel raises (the machine is similar to a hack squat; plate loaded)
    330 x 15
    330 x 12
    ---- drop sets
    280 x 7
    230 x 6
    180 x 5

Seated heel raises
    4 plates x 20
    3 plates x 20
    3 plates x 15--6--4 rest-pause technique

"Grandpa's" heel raises (w/knee flexed) (an exercise for the soleus using a hip sled with a weight stack)
    270 x 15
    310 x 12
    330 x 10

Cardio = 25 min (moderate intensity)

Impressions: Intensity was solid throughout the workout. My arm was finally good enough to go back to a couple of old favorites (upright rows and seated DB presses). I will probably be back in the power rack doing heavier upright rows next week since today's targeted weight could have been a little higher. It also looks like the BB front raise weight can go up a little, too. Delt work does not come easy for me, so I'm glad that weights that used to kill me are becoming "high rep work." That's progress by any measure. I may push the envelope a bit during the next phase of training.

In contrast, I was satisfied with the DB presses; I have a hard time getting DBs over 90 lbs in position anyway. So, these will probably always be 2nd or 3rd on the exercise rotation (when I include them) to keep the poundage manageable. Nevertheless, I could have been more aggressive in selecting the beginning weight - that won't happen next time...

Tomorrow is a rest day, and then Day 1 of the next split routine cycle will begin on Sunday.
    Last edited by mharrislove; 08-29-2010 at 12:48 PM.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey amigo!!!

Supped...take it to the limit, baby!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    I'm in.

-=FLEX=-
    A charter member of the "memoir"! Thanks for stopping by, Flex - I'm looking forward to seeing what I can get done by October.

Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Hey amigo!!!

Supped...take it to the limit, baby!!!
    Hey, Yak. Yeah, last year was about just physical survival and feeling human again. This year, it's all about pushing the limits!

------------------------------

Anyway, it's 5:50 AM (the gym opens in 10 min), so I'm off for a bout of fasted LISS on the treadmill.

Hamstrings and back are on deck for Sunday...

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!

I got 3 weeks to my first comp of this season....and feeling pretty good...at the moment...that seems to change day by day - as you well remember!
    Last edited by yakabebe; 08-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

Originally Posted by yakabebe View Post
    Now THAT's what I', talking about!!

I got 3 weeks to my first comp of this season....and feeling pretty good...at the moment...that seems to change day by day - as you well remember!
    That's great...it's getting close to game time! I'll have to stop by your journal to check on your progress. Good luck with your training this weekend.

Day 1: Strength Phase; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Deads w/back + rear delts

I was fueled by only 4 hours of sleep this time around, but I was well fed and ready to go:

Warm up: standing DB presses, 1 x 15; BW dips, 1 x 15; hyperextensions/GHRs, 2 x 10; BW pull ups, 1 x 10; leg extensions, 2 x 20-15; lying leg curls, 1 x 12

HAMS

Deads
    135 x 10 --- standard deads from floor
    225 x 6
    275 x 5 --- no shoes from here on out...
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 1
    365 x 5
    315 x 5 --- Sumo style for remaining sets, shoes on
    315 x 4
    315 x 3
    315 x 5 --- was pretty tapped out at this point; the last 2 reps were manna from Heaven

Lying leg curls
    120 x 6
    140 x 6
    150 x 6 (whole stack)
    --- drop set
    100 x 15

SLDL in Smith (Superset with seated leg curls; see below)
    135 x 12
    185 x 12
    205 x 12

Seated leg curls (supersetted with above ex)
    110 x 12
    130 x 10
    130 x 10 --- @#$%^&!

GHRs on hyperextension bench (Performed Jason Huh-style: partial ROM w/continuous tension on hams and minimal errector spinae involvement)
    2 x 10 w/BW --- @#$%^&!

BACK

Bent over rows
    135 x 10
    185 x 6
    225 x 6
    275 x 6
    300 x 4 --- last rep was pretty ugly; stopped while I was ahead...
    225 x 10

Seated cable rows (pulling to sternum)
    150 x 6
    200 x 6
    230 x 6

Lat pull downs (pulling to front)
    175 x 8
    150 x 10
    125 x 10

REAR DELTS

Single-arm DB bentover laterals
    60 x 10
    70 x 10
    75 x 8

Reverse pec deck
    135 x 6 --- one single drop set
    105 x 6
    75 x 6

Cardio: treadmill time (LISS) slated for later today at home

Impressions: Deadlifting form is getting more consistent. I'm looking forward to getting my lifting shoes so I can ditch the cross trainer gym shoes during Sumo deads. I noticed the shift of my center of gravity moving forward during my first set with the shoes back on. This is not a good thing.

The heavier back work was just to serve as a marker regarding my progress so far. Based on what I saw today, I am better off increasing bentover row reps at 275 versus trying to push into the 300s. Plus, after using light to moderate loads over the past couple of months for back work while managing my arm injury, I learned that my back workouts are much more effective with moderate weight. Biceps seem to contribute too much to the movement when I get below 6 reps - today's session just confirmed my earlier observation.

Chest and triceps are on deck for tomorrow.
    Last edited by mharrislove; 08-29-2010 at 11:28 AM.

rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rea99 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Very nice man, damn hard work.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm in.........

Now I need to go back and read through!

Welcome to the journals MHL.
    David

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Joining in. I look forward to learning from your experiences.

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Plus, after using light to moderate loads over the past couple of months for back work while managing my arm injury, I learned that my back workouts are much more effective with moderate weight. Biceps seem to contribute too much to the movement when I get below 6 reps - today's session just confirmed my earlier observation.
    I assume you're talking about your bicep tendon issues? What was your most effective strategy for working around it?
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OOH-RAH!

Outstanding brother, simply outstanding.

Originally Posted by rea99 View Post
    Very nice man, damn hard work.
    You got that right! Thanks again!

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    I'm in.........

Now I need to go back and read through!

Welcome to the journals MHL.
    Yeah, you know me David - "the master of brevity." I'll talk to you next week after you finish reading all that stuff...

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Joining in. I look forward to learning from your experiences.

I assume you're talking about your bicep tendon issues? What was your most effective strategy for working around it?
    Yeah, the bicep (left)/brachiallis (right) issues were truly learning experiences. A few things happened upon trying to manage the process. First, unlike my younger years, I had to force myself to experience a "plateau" at a new max working weight and NOT just progress forward (DC-training style) as fast as my muscles would allow. Just because my biceps were ready for 135 lb curls didn't mean that my tendons were ready for that kind of load. Of course, tendons remodel at a slower rate than contractile tissue, but nothing seems rational when you have Metallica in your iPod and you're staring down a heavy ass barbell.

The mixed blessing behind the injuries was my reintroduction to the barbell. I was aware of secondary, indirect work that was delaying the healing process (like Oly-style cleans, agonist work with upright rows, and stabilization work with heavy DB presses). So, after shunning barbell work for years in favor of DBs, I reluctantly returned to barbell work to save the arms (I hadn't benched since the mid-90s). The upside to this predicament was that I was forced to learn how to bench press correctly (via Tate's writings and vids, etc.) and my barbell work - while not record setting - has proven to be very productive. Each arm required about 2 months of exclusive barbell work (instead of DBs) when working delts and chest, and avoidance of specific movements (as mentioned earlier).

Finally, upon starting direct arm work again (via DBs or the BB), I stayed away from the 5x5 stuff and kept the reps higher (and therefore, the loads lower). Fortunately for me, my biceps are more responsive to this type of training than the heavy stuff anyway. I initially tried to go heavy with arm work to help me become stronger in my basic lifts, but clearly that is no longer in the cards. Oh well...you do what you can do, right?

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    OOH-RAH!

Outstanding brother, simply outstanding.
    I appreciate the encouragement, IronMind! Thanks for stopping by the Memoir.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Most impressive kickoff to a journal I've ever read!

vvvv Quoted For Truth.
    In truth, trendy terms like HST or FST-7 training don’t mean much to me these days – in the end, it’s all sets, reps, workload, nutrition, and recovery. And, yes, sound training theory is good, but gut-busting effort is the essential ingredient.
    Comments:
    • I'm with you on db shoulder presses over 90.... getting them in position is a major hurdle for me

• interesting that your carb intake is higher than your protein.

The deads......

Deads
    135 x 10 --- standard deads from floor
    225 x 6
    275 x 5 --- no shoes from here on out...
    315 x 4
    365 x 3
    405 x 1
    365 x 5
    315 x 5 --- Sumo style for remaining sets, shoes on
    315 x 4
    315 x 3
    315 x 5 --- was pretty tapped out at this point; the last 2 reps were manna from Heaven
    Great body of work here MHL...
    David

Most impressive kickoff to a journal I've ever read!
    Thanks...setting up a journal intro really helps to make the training goals concrete.

Comments:
    • I'm with you on db shoulder presses over 90.... getting them in position is a major hurdle for me

interesting that your carb intake is higher than your protein.
    Yeah, the fat loss I'm trying to attain now is pretty mild (from about 11% to 10%). When you're that fat, there's not much of a need to really revamp the off-season macro proportions in a significant way. Creating a caloric deficit through a small reduction in total cals and modest increase in cardio is enough to do the job.

Of course, it's a different ball game when the time comes to really get lean...

The deads......

Great body of work here MHL...
    I have some ways to go to catch you, Flex, and Bill...but I'm doing what I can to get better without wrecking my low back!

ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000) ms_mac is a name known to all. (+5000)
    All I can say is.....WOW!!! Very impressive transformation.....and LUV your intro! HJope you don't mind if I follow along.

Originally Posted by ms_mac View Post
    All I can say is.....WOW!!! Very impressive transformation.....and LUV your intro! HJope you don't mind if I follow along.
    Of course not...anyone serious about training is welcome here! Thanks for the generous comments, Ms_Mac.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Yeah, the bicep (left)/brachiallis (right) issues were truly learning experiences. A few things happened upon trying to manage the process. First, unlike my younger years, I had to force myself to experience a "plateau" at a new max working weight and NOT just progress forward (DC-training style) as fast as my muscles would allow. Just because my biceps were ready for 135 lb curls didn't mean that my tendons were ready for that kind of load. Of course, tendons remodel at a slower rate than contractile tissue, but nothing seems rational when you have Metallica in your iPod and you're staring down a heavy ass barbell.

The mixed blessing behind the injuries was my reintroduction to the barbell. I was aware of secondary, indirect work that was delaying the healing process (like Oly-style cleans, agonist work with upright rows, and stabilization work with heavy DB presses). So, after shunning barbell work for years in favor of DBs, I reluctantly returned to barbell work to save the arms (I hadn't benched since the mid-90s). The upside to this predicament was that I was forced to learn how to bench press correctly (via Tate's writings and vids, etc.) and my barbell work - while not record setting - has proven to be very productive. Each arm required about 2 months of exclusive barbell work (instead of DBs) when working delts and chest, and avoidance of specific movements (as mentioned earlier).

Finally, upon starting direct arm work again (via DBs or the BB), I stayed away from the 5x5 stuff and kept the reps higher (and therefore, the loads lower). Fortunately for me, my biceps are more responsive to this type of training than the heavy stuff anyway. I initially tried to go heavy with arm work to help me become stronger in my basic lifts, but clearly that is no longer in the cards. Oh well...you do what you can do, right?
    If you lift long enough, training around the dents and dings is pretty much mandatory. You gotta do what you can.

Thanks for the well thought out response, MHL.

Comments:
    No the easiest thing to do, David, but once you get the "kick up" movement down with your knees, it's actually not that bad. I find it easier than getting the 120's out of position on flat DB presses (I don't drop them).
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000) Husky Bob is just really nice. (+1000)

I'm in!

I think I can learn a thing or three from you!

Nice intro and history...

Bob

Day 2: Strength Phase; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Bench w/triceps + calves

Lots of early morning shenanigans with the kid this morning, so I arrived to the gym late and was resigned to get in an abbreviated workout:

CHEST

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • dips, 1 x 15
    • int/ext shoulder rotation (rotator cuff), 2 x 10/2 x 10
    • seated machine bench presses, 3 x 7-10 @ 25%/50%/75% of stack

Bench (in power rack)
    bar x 8
    135 x 6
    185 x 4 --- holding back by design
    225 x 4
    275 x 3 --- My set up wasn't quite right...had to bail on rep 4
    ------- Partials (safety pins move up one notch)
    275 x 3 --- planned on going higher, but stayed here for remedial training
    275 x 3
    ------- Pin presses (safety pins move down one notch)
    135 x 8 --- started out too light...
    185 x 6
    205 x 6

Incline DB press
    100 x 6
    110 x 6
    100 x 6

Weighted dips
    1 plate x 12
    2 plates x 8

TRICEPS

Machine dips (using the assisted pull up machine)
    130 x 12
    130 x 10

Lying French DB press
    35 x 8 --- no rest for all sets
    40 x 6
    45 x 6

Seated French DB press
    30 x 8 -- no rest for all sets
    35 x 6
    40 x 6

Single arm reverse-grip cable press downs
    54 x 10
    45 x 10

Single arm cable overhead extension
    45 x 10
    36 x 10 --- forced reps, 8 to 10

CALVES

120 x 15
    180 x 15
    240 x 12
    200 x 10 --- drop sets
    180 x 6
    140 x 5

Sloped heel raises (plate loaded machine)
    350 x 12
    350 x 12 --- drop sets
    300 x 6
    230 x 6
    160 x 6

Single limb heel raises on leg press (plate weight only; 1 "set" = weak leg, strong leg, weak leg; no rest)
    90 x 15
    140 x 12-15
    90 x 10-12

Seated heel raises
    4 plates x 15
    3 plates x 12-8-6 --- rest pause

Impressions: I'm still getting used to some aspects of my revamped split routine and specific aspects of my "Big 4" program. Pin presses are a good example since I'm still learning what my poundage ought to be with that exercise. I am also finding that the power rack pins can be a hindrance on some of the heavier sets - but it beats a cracked sternum or voice box, so I'll deal. But bench day is the time that I wish I had a training partner.

Finally, the duct tape on the left elbow flexors held during all of the lifts, so I was pleased to be in one piece at the end of the session. After today's debacle with 275 and the low back/hamstring stiffness from the last session of deads, tomorrow's rest day will be well received...
    Last edited by mharrislove; 08-30-2010 at 11:39 PM.

Bench (in power rack)
    bar x 8
    135 x 6
    225 x 4
    275 x 3
    185 x 6
    205 x 6
    Good combination of weight and volume here, MHL. That kind of training should get the poundages moving up pretty nicely.

Incline DB press
    100 x 6
    110 x 6
    100 x 6
    Nice follow up with the Benjamins.

Lying French DB press
    35 x 8 --- no rest for all sets
    40 x 6
    45 x 6

Seated French DB press
    30 x 8 -- no rest for all sets
    35 x 6
    40 x 6

Single arm reverse-grip cable press downs
    54 x 10
    45 x 10

Single arm cable overhead extension
    45 x 10
    36 x 10 --- forced reps, 8 to 10
    Using different upper arm positions for a tricep workout is the key to success, IMO.

Lots of early morning shenanigans with the kid this morning, so I arrived to the gym late and was resigned to get in an abbreviated workout:
    Lulz. You call that "abbreviated"?!

Originally Posted by Husky Bob View Post
    I think I can learn a thing or three from you!

Nice intro and history...

Bob
    Hey, Bob. Your insights are welcome on this thread as well...welcome to the Memoir.

Good combination of weight and volume here, MHL. That kind of training should get the poundages moving up pretty nicely.

Nice follow up with the Benjamins.
    I hope you're right...I have a love/hate relationship with any pressing movement, so I'm hoping that this combination gets me where I need to go.

Lulz. You call that "abbreviated"?!
    Hmm...point well taken!

abbreviated workout
    Lulz x2

Bench (in power rack)
    bar x 8
    135 x 6
    225 x 4
    275 x 3
    185 x 6
    205 x 6
    Nothing like good heavy benching to get the week started!

Incline DB press
    100 x 6
    110 x 6
    100 x 6
    Great follow-up.

CALVES

120 x 15
    180 x 15
    240 x 12
    200 x 10 --- drop sets
    180 x 6
    140 x 5

Sloped heel raises (plate loaded machine)
    350 x 12
    350 x 12 --- drop sets
    300 x 6
    230 x 6
    160 x 6

Single limb heel raises on leg press (plate weight only; 1 "set" = weak leg, strong leg, weak leg; no rest)
    90 x 15
    140 x 12-15
    90 x 10-12

Seated heel raises
    4 plates x 15
    3 plates x 12-8-6 --- rest pause
    You are a man who is serious about his calf training!

But bench day is the time that I wish I had a training partner.
    Likewise... but on the other hand.... I'm afraid they would slow me down...
    David

Day 3: Status Report; Off-Season: 45 weeks to go

Status Report

My contest season ended in mid-April and I took May through June getting back up to my pre-contest diet body weight. After spending over 42 weeks logging my diet in an effort to first lose weight, and then compete, the Excel diet charts were also on hiatus during May and June. My extemporaneous dieting (i.e., "bulking") resulted in a condition that nearly merited a new thread, "MHL transforms back into a fat ass."

But instead of making that post, I resolved to back away from the precipice and strive to make lean gains instead of the traditional bulking route. For one thing, after being fat for so long, I just don't want to look like that anymore (even if I would make better strength/size gains). Another consideration was that it makes little sense for a natty athlete to have the long diet that would be necessary to lose over 25 lbs for a contest - that would just result in too much muscle loss (or a long, gradual diet that precludes optimal lean body mass gains and turns pre-contest prep into a 6 month marathon).

The last reason I returned to sanity is that I care about my health more than some damn trophy. Anyway here are the numbers for the past month:

BW: - 3 lbs
    hips: - .5 inches
    gut: - 1.5 inches
    waist: - .5 inches
    calipers (abdomen): - 2 mm

I'll continue my current course of action until I lose about 1-2 mm more on the caliper measurement for an estimated BF of 10%. Baseline caloric intake will then be re-established to maintain the targeted body composition for the remainder of the off-season.