Page 74 of 203 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 6080
    Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great work today my brother and as for that WTF moment....

Oh yeah....Columbu reps on spread.

-In Reconstruction Mode- IronAvalanche's Avatar
    IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lookin great in your pics MH! BTW, if you noticed, I gave the bands a rest this week too. You made a good point in my journal about not using them all the time. I too believe this is wise.
    I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
    ~ Philippians 4:13

"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
    ~ Andrew Carnegie

Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    I think we might have talked about this a while back, but I'm going to take it in a different direction.

Chris Dickerson (Mr. Olympia 1982) had a pretty decent chest (), and if I remember correctly, I read an article years ago in Muscle & Fitness he wrote about how he did not believe the bench press to be a very good chest builder. I wonder if there is a way to locate information on what exercises/methods he used to build that awesome chest he had?
    Yes, I am aware of the Gironda take on the flat bench and how that has influenced lots of BBers down the line. I think that for many people, bench may not be the most ideal exercise for pecs (or squats for quad development) based on their biomechanics. As is often the case, people erroneously take their own personal experience and extend it to all situations.

But getting more to your point. I do not think that the flat BB bench is a requirement for great pecs, but it can serve as a very effective exercise if one has the joints and extremity proportions to handle the exercise. In my specific case, I have never been injured doing the bench press - but I didn't do it much as a youngster. So, I've been trying to give it a fair chance during my second act as a BBer. (If my recent shoulder problem will allow me to do this is anyone's guess.)

I found a few things online regarding Dickerson and Pearl on chest training, so I posted some highlights below:

Chris Dickerson severely injured his right pectoral because he used too much weight without warming up. Although the injury is healed now, he still has the "imperfection" of a torn pectoral, as can be seen from a close study of his photographs. It doesn't seem to have prevented him being acclaimed one of the world's top bodybuilders, though. But it did prevent him from training as he may have wanted prior to his circuit comeback.

"For the benefit of readers that are not familiar with how I train, let's review my training methods. In general terms. In the off-season, I do a total of 8-15 sets per bodypart (sometimes slightly more on a lagging muscle group). I train six days a week on a split routine and generally my reps are in the 6-10 range, with the weights being as heavy as possible. Despite the heavy poundages. I use strict form on all sets, except for a cheating rep to two at the end of a set.

Before a contest I'll gradually up the total number of sets to 18-25 per muscle group, and I favor isolating the muscles as much as possible. I also train much faster (20-30 seconds rest between sets, versus 45-60 seconds in the off-season). As a result, my exercise poundages are lighter than during the off-season."

Bill Pearl played a key role in Dickerson's training later in his career. From what I understand, Pearl favors incline BB benching over flat BB benching, along with a healthy dose of dips, pullovers, and various DB movements. I believe that he tends to favor DBs over the BB for chest; but clearly he is not shy about the flat BB bench and can move a ton on the Oly bar.

Anyway, feel free to post some additions to this info if you (or anyone else) has more info on their training approach for pecs. As always, thanks for the input!
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

* Page Bump * Day 2: Hybrid Phase - 3 weeks of off-season training to go

Chest w/triceps + calves

Chest, Triceps, and Calves!

warm up:
    • standing DB presses, 1 x 15
    • flat DB bench press, 1 x 15
    • internal/external shoulder rotation using cable, 3 x 10
    • pull ups, 1 x 10

CHEST

"Bench Reconstruction" - BB flat bench press

Due to the shoulder injury, I had to first avoid the BB bench and then use bands exclusively over the past several months. This means that - at the bottom of the movement - I haven't had my pecs loaded in the stretched position with more than 135 - 215 lbs for weeks (save for the recent occasion that I tested out the shoulder); not good.

The bands are great, but they have their limitations and should never be used as one's total workout - they are just a tool. With strength development being specific to contraction mode and ROM, my work at 225 - 300 lbs has been limited to the top ROM of the lift (can you say, "hello, triceps assistance"?).

So, for non-resistance band work, I have to essentially re-start the bench press. Unlike earlier in the off-season, I am not aiming for my usual max weight or a new PR. Instead, "heavy" will mean useful weight for a 5 x 5 and gradually progressing what I use for my higher rep work.

------- in rack with safety pins
    bar x 10 wu
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 5
    245 x 5
    265 x 4 --- form was breaking down a bit, so I stopped here.

This wasn't too bad. The shoulder was tired, but not trashed. Based on how the sets felt, I think that it's just a matter of time before I get back to baseline. I don't think that I'll be in 3-plate land until my shoulder is all the way back, but that's not in the cards anyway with contest prep only weeks away.

DB incline presses
    80 x 10
    90 x 10
    100 x 10
    90 x 10
    80 x 10
    80 x 15 --- decided to stay here and rep it out, rather than drop down again

Machine pec flyes (LifeFitness; stack weight)
    170 x 10
    190 x 10
    170 x 10
    170 x 8
    150 x 8

* Looking for a finishing movement: trial run at Hammer decline and Hammer incline (both stack weight) was a "no go" due to shoulder pain. Strangely enough, the movement trajectory on the Hammer incline machine with plate-loaded weight was okay.

Hammer incline chest press (plate weight on one side listed)
    1 nickel x 10
    1 plate x 10
    1 plate + 1 nickel x 10 --- drop set
    --> 1 plate x 8

The "Take that you lazy bastard!!!" Sets

Hammer shoulder press (plate weight on one side listed)
    1 plate x 10
    1 plate + 1 nickel x 10
    2 plates x 10 --- drop sets
    --> drop 25, 8 reps
    ---> drop 25, 6 reps

This was one sick progression (especially after chest); strong effort throughout, everything felt good, and the MMC was great.

TRICEPS

Tricep cable press downs (using the dreaded double pulley system; typical stack about double the listed weight)
    45 x 10
    65 x 10
    85 x 10

Overhead cable French press on incline bench (using the dreaded double pulley system; typical stack about double the listed weight)
    45 x 10
    45 x 10
    65 x 10
    45 x 10
    45 x 10
    45 x 10

Cable kickbacks (using the dreaded double pulley system; typical stack about double the listed weight)
    15 x 10
    15 x 10
    15 x 10

A little goes a long way...

CALVES

Calves got the short end of the stick today, so I had to go back to some old high school methods to get the job done.

Recumbent "standing" heel raises - "drill down" method: down the stack with no rest; stop only when you fail to attain 10 reps
    110 x 10
    130 x 10
    150 x 10
    170 x 10
    190 x 10 --- I thought that I was going to crash at rep #9, but had on more left!
    210 x 6 --- that's it!!!

HS3HRMIE* (*Hammer Strength Sh!ttiest Seated Heel Raise Machine in Existence; the hip sled was taken)
    2 plates x 20
    2 plates x 20
    2 plates x 15

Impressions:

DB inclines held up well after the "bench reconstruction" work and the MMC on the flyes was rock solid. Also, it's good to have one more machine in the gym (Hammer plate-loaded incline) that I can use as a 4th option in the rotation. The mystery of new found pain with decline movements persists, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it since I have a good selection of exercises that I can use.

The new triceps routine continues to be a winner; I had crazy DOMS the last time around. Will keep things as is.

Calves got shafted today due to time constraints. But assuming that effort is where it needs to be, the next most critical element of my calf training regimen is frequency. So, work got done today, and at least calves won't be getting any smaller this week. I'll try to give 'em a little more love the next time around.

The WTF? Gym Moment of the Day:

Even though I was 15 min behind schedule, I was the first one on the gym floor this morning. Talk about bliss. The stereo wasn't even playing, so my noggin didn't get invaded by Britney until 30 min later.

But by 6:15 AM the place was a zoo. The central figure in the zoo this time was a guy completely mangling cable crossovers. Imagine that you are at the State Fair and your family cajoles you into a watermelon smashing contest. But here's the catch: you can only smash the watermelon with your elbows.

That's essentially what this guy was doing; jamming his elbows together in a ballistic fashion for each rep.

Oh, I left out an important detail. He was standing on one leg the whole time...

...uhm, yeah...

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Great looking workout, funny as hell WTF moment.
    Thanks, man. The WTFers just never cease to amaze me!

Originally Posted by Whatanejit View Post
    The woman in the store was probably thinking.. jeez look at the guy.. he is bursting out of his t shirt - time for a new one!!!
    A bona fide BBer would never get rid of a tight t-shirt...

Take the compliments when you can get them
    Agreed!

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post
    Great work today my brother and as for that WTF moment....

Oh yeah....Columbu reps on spread.
    LOL...man, that brings back some memories!

Originally Posted by IronAvalanche View Post
    Lookin great in your pics MH! BTW, if you noticed, I gave the bands a rest this week too. You made a good point in my journal about not using them all the time. I too believe this is wise.
    Thanks for weighing in on that topic, IA. Your case is a little different since you are trying to extend the abilities of a home gym, rather than purely seek a new mode of training. But you are still wise for incorporating the training change up, IMO.

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    Yes, I am aware of the Gironda take on the flat bench and how that has influenced lots of BBers down the line. I think that for many people, bench may not be the most ideal exercise for pecs (or squats for quad development) based on their biomechanics. As is often the case, people erroneously take their own personal experience and extend it to all situations.

But getting more to your point. I do not think that the flat BB bench is a requirement for great pecs, but it can serve as a very effective exercise if one has the joints and extremity proportions to handle the exercise. In my specific case, I have never been injured doing the bench press - but I didn't do it much as a youngster. So, I've been trying to give it a fair chance during my second act as a BBer. (If my recent shoulder problem will allow me to do this is anyone's guess.)

I found a few things online regarding Dickerson and Pearl on chest training, so I posted some highlights below:

Chris Dickerson severely injured his right pectoral because he used too much weight without warming up. Although the injury is healed now, he still has the "imperfection" of a torn pectoral, as can be seen from a close study of his photographs. It doesn't seem to have prevented him being acclaimed one of the world's top bodybuilders, though. But it did prevent him from training as he may have wanted prior to his circuit comeback.

"For the benefit of readers that are not familiar with how I train, let's review my training methods. In general terms. In the off-season, I do a total of 8-15 sets per bodypart (sometimes slightly more on a lagging muscle group). I train six days a week on a split routine and generally my reps are in the 6-10 range, with the weights being as heavy as possible. Despite the heavy poundages. I use strict form on all sets, except for a cheating rep to two at the end of a set.

Before a contest I'll gradually up the total number of sets to 18-25 per muscle group, and I favor isolating the muscles as much as possible. I also train much faster (20-30 seconds rest between sets, versus 45-60 seconds in the off-season). As a result, my exercise poundages are lighter than during the off-season."

Bill Pearl played a key role in Dickerson's training later in his career. From what I understand, Pearl favors incline BB benching over flat BB benching, along with a healthy dose of dips, pullovers, and various DB movements. I believe that he tends to favor DBs over the BB for chest; but clearly he is not shy about the flat BB bench and can move a ton on the Oly bar.

Anyway, feel free to post some additions to this info if you (or anyone else) has more info on their training approach for pecs. As always, thanks for the input!
    Pearl is one who is near and dear to me for a multitude of reasons that I won't go into herein, second only to Draper. Pearl does favor DBs over BBs and, although his "Keys To The Inner Universe" (a much thrashed, dog-eared, torn and tattered tome on my shelf that he handed me himself) is replete with all manner of BB exercises when chest development is addressed, the use of DBs slightly eeks out ahead of the use of BBs and, when benches are involved, it is generally done more at an incline than otherwise.

righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good day, sir!

Who is the man in the second photo? His tricep does not even look like a horseshoe--it's beyond that. It looks like the coiled end of a shell. Amazing.

Congratulations on your return to benching! Glad to hear baseline is within reach and attainable. I know that must feel good!

May have to borrow that tricep lineup.

And the calves are lookin sick!!

lol @ WTF. There was a guy at my gym this morning and I couldn't figure out if he was trying to do face pulls or some kind of weird row with the rope! Bizarre!!!

Hope you have a happy weekend!

Enjoyed the read, as always.

fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitmom43 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Day 4: Hybrid Phase - 2 weeks (fuuuuuuu...) of off-season training to go

Quads w/biceps + forearms

Father's Day's Edition

A post-workout, improptu greeting on the porch this morning!

warm up:
    • standing DB curls, 1 x 10
    • DB squats, 1 x 10
    • pull ups, 1 x 10
    • leg extensions, 2 x 10-15, 20% of stack
    • hyperextensions/GHRs, 2 x 10

QUADS

Squats (in power rack; using weight belt; no wraps)
    bar x 10
    135 x 6
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    335 x 5
    355 x 4
    375 x 4
    385 x 3 --- drop sets
    --> 315 x 6
    ---> 225 x 8 --- "Corney falls down, and Arnold steps over him...Corney falls down, and Arnold steps over him...Corney falls down..."

The duct tape on the low back held. Step by step, inch by inch, getting closer to normal...

(Miscellaneous photo from the Hard Training Club files)

Front quats (in power rack; using weight belt; no wraps)
    -------- doubled red bands used; connected to band pins on rack (VERY tight!)
    45 - 145 x 10 wu
    95 - 195 x 10 --- adjusting to the pull of the bands with the bar position
    135 - 235 x 8
    135 - 235 x 10 --- cotdamn!!!!
    135 - 235 x 8

I'm pretty sure I'm done with squats for today!

Narrow stance leg press using hip sled
    250 x 15
    310 x 15
    310 x 20 --- LET'S GO!!!

Leg extensions - Brackneyc Style
    140 x 15 --- "Damn, my legs must be trashed; this is heavier than usual..."
    140 x 15 --- misread the values on the plate; should have been 100 lbs; oh well...
    140 x 20 --- PUSH, you worthless, dyslexic SOB!

BICEPS/FORARMS - arms were pretty tore up from the Day 1 workout, so the emphasis was on forearms today with a slight decrease in biceps work volume

Preloaded straight BB curls
    45 x 10 wu
    75 x 10 wu

Hammer curl - strict form
    30 x 8
    40 x 8
    50 x 6
    40 x 8
    30 x 8 --> going right to next exercise with no rest

Reverse curls using straight BB
    75 x 10
    75 x 10

Preacher curl machine (stack weight)
    100 x 10
    90 x 10
    80 x 10

BB reverse wrist curls (kneeling over flat bench)
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10

"Crowbar" pronation/supination (notation in sets x reps; weight unknown; using lever arm length of bar to increase/decrease the weight)
    2 x 10 R --- pronation
    2 x 10 L
    2 x 10 R --- supination
    2 x 10 L

Impressions:

I had a Microman sighting today, but he is not featured in the WTF? section today. This is, with a doubt, a major surprise since ANY Microman sighting typically pushes all other gym idiot stories to the bottom of the pile. But not today...

Today, I saw a guy lying on the floor doing a hip adductor stretch. No big deal, right? I mean, no, it's not deadlifts - but we are in a gym. I am not oblivious to the fact that most people come to the gym to get fit, and not to be the size of a double-wide trailer home.

However, this guy was doing the stretch with a rubberized 45 lb plate across his upper thigh/nuts. Maybe I need to get out more, but 45 lbs on one's thigh/nuts = BIG F*CKING DEAL. Certainly it merits a legitimate, "W-T-F..?"

I could be way off of the mark here, but I have a feeling that when FLEX wrote, "Balls, Volume & Strength" over his AVI, that this type of behavior is NOT what he had in mind.

Well, at least the plate was rubberized...I guess.
    Last edited by mharrislove; 06-19-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Happy Father's Day, my friend. Looks like an awesome way to wrap up the morning's work!

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Father's Day's Edition

POTD. Good times. HFD.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [B]

140 x 15 --- misread the values on the plate; should have been 100 lbs; oh well...

I am touched. Very cool. Maybe I was doing 300 on bench today.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Excellent work today brother. That pic...no words do it justice, so I won't even bother.

Pearl is one who is near and dear to me for a multitude of reasons that I won't go into herein, second only to Draper. Pearl does favor DBs over BBs and, although his "Keys To The Inner Universe" (a much thrashed, dog-eared, torn and tattered tome on my shelf that he handed me himself) is replete with all manner of BB exercises when chest development is addressed, the use of DBs slightly eeks out ahead of the use of BBs and, when benches are involved, it is generally done more at an incline than otherwise.
    I figured that you would be one of the forum members to have some background info on Pearl. Thanks for adding to the discussion and clarifying a few things.

Excellent work today brother. That pic...no words do it justice, so I won't even bother.
    Thanks, man...much appreciated.

Originally Posted by righter View Post
    Good day, sir!

Who is the man in the second photo? His tricep does not even look like a horseshoe--it's beyond that. It looks like the coiled end of a shell. Amazing.
    The cited pics in that post are: Columbu, Priest, and Matarazzo.

Congratulations on your return to benching! Glad to hear baseline is within reach and attainable. I know that must feel good!

May have to borrow that tricep lineup.
    The most basic goals still feel far away, but it is good to at least be back in the game. So, I'm not complaining (too much).

And the calves are lookin sick!!
    Would rep if could!

lol @ WTF. There was a guy at my gym this morning and I couldn't figure out if he was trying to do face pulls or some kind of weird row with the rope! Bizarre!!!
    I am convinced that the whole world is some sort of "WTF?" test lab.

Originally Posted by fitmom43 View Post
    Thank you, Sara!

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Happy Father's Day, my friend. Looks like an awesome way to wrap up the morning's work!
    Yes, only a pic will do; too hard to put into words.

POTD. Good times. HFD.
    For sure!

I am touched. Very cool. Maybe I was doing 300 on bench today.
    I have no doubt that this is the absolute truth.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wasn't around much yesterday, I pray you had a blessed Father's Day.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Excellent thrashing of the quads yesterday MH, and a really neat Father's Day pic too. That's what it's all about.

Hope you have a great one today!

"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
    ~ Andrew Carnegie

Registered User charlievanriper's Avatar
    charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) charlievanriper is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Father's Day's Edition

warm up:
    • standing DB curls, 1 x 10
    • DB squats, 1 x 10
    • pull ups, 1 x 10
    • leg extensions, 2 x 10-15, 20% of stack
    • hyperextensions/GHRs, 2 x 10

QUADS

bar x 10
    135 x 6
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    335 x 5
    355 x 4
    375 x 4
    385 x 3 --- drop sets
    --> 315 x 6
    ---> 225 x 8 --- "Corney falls down, and Arnold steps over him...Corney falls down, and Arnold steps over him...Corney falls down..."

The duct tape on the low back held. Step by step, inch by inch, getting closer to normal...

(Miscellaneous photo from the Hard Training Club files)

45 - 145 x 10 wu
    135 - 235 x 8
    135 - 235 x 8

Narrow stance leg press using hip sled
    250 x 15
    310 x 15
    310 x 20 --- LET'S GO!!!

BICEPS/FORARMS - arms were pretty tore up from the Day 1 workout, so the emphasis was on forearms today with a slight decrease in biceps work volume

Preloaded straight BB curls
    45 x 10 wu
    75 x 10 wu

Hammer curl - strict form
    30 x 8
    40 x 8
    50 x 6
    40 x 8
    30 x 8 --> going right to next exercise with no rest

Reverse curls using straight BB
    75 x 10
    75 x 10

Preacher curl machine (stack weight)
    100 x 10
    90 x 10
    80 x 10

BB reverse wrist curls (kneeling over flat bench)
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10

"Crowbar" pronation/supination (notation in sets x reps; weight unknown; using lever arm length of bar to increase/decrease the weight)
    2 x 10 R --- pronation
    2 x 10 L
    2 x 10 R --- supination
    2 x 10 L

Impressions:

I had a Microman sighting today, but he is not featured in the WTF? section today. This is, with a doubt, a major surprise since ANY Microman sighting typically pushes all other gym idiot stories to the bottom of the pile. But not today...

Today, I saw a guy lying on the floor doing a hip adductor stretch. No big deal, right? I mean, no, it's not deadlifts - but we are in a gym. I am not oblivious to the fact that most people come to the gym to get fit, and not to be the size of a double-wide trailer home.

However, this guy was doing the stretch with a rubberized 45 lb plate across his upper thigh/nuts. Maybe I need to get out more, but 45 lbs on one's thigh/nuts = BIG F*CKING DEAL. Certainly it merits a legitimate, "W-T-F..?"

I could be way off of the mark here, but I have a feeling that when FLEX wrote, "Balls, Volume & Strength" over his AVI, that this type of behavior is NOT what he had in mind.

Well, at least the plate was rubberizice
    ed...I guess.
    Vary nice
    Officially 65yrs old, Beef eating Conservative, Trump Loving Anti-Abortion Anti-Liberal, Pro Israel Christian MAN IF YOU don't like it or me SCREW YOU, I DON'T CARE. I lift heavy ass weight w/o the use of DRUGS / TRT or ANY unnatural assistance, I Own & Support Gun Ownership

"FUC JOE BIDEN & ALL DEMOCRATS, SCHUMER IS A TRAITOR. TRUMP 2024"

*Current Weight & Thread w/ Video's*
    Weight / 185.6
    [url]https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179727593[/url]

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good afternoon MHL...Just trying to catch up a bit. Good lookin workout yesterday.
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Wasn't around much yesterday, I pray you had a blessed Father's Day.
    No problem...thanks for taking the time to stop by!

Originally Posted by IronAvalanche View Post
    Excellent thrashing of the quads yesterday MH, and a really neat Father's Day pic too. That's what it's all about.

Hope you have a great one today!
    Yeah, I was tryin' to really get at it on that quad day. Thanks for the kind words - our priorities are in the right place.

Originally Posted by charlievanriper View Post
    Vary nice
    Hey Charlie. I hope that all is well on your end...

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    Good afternoon MHL...Just trying to catch up a bit. Good lookin workout yesterday.
    You're back! Good to hear from you, man.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're back! Good to hear from you, man.
    Yeah...I think so. took bout 2.5 weeks for my back to heal up, then I got preoccupied with Real Life. Planning to hit the iron tonight.
    "Some people are like Slinkies. They're not really good for anything but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

My Training Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145043261

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Father's Day's Edition

[/center]
    That's a pretty awesome picture right there

bar x 10
    135 x 6
    225 x 6
    315 x 6
    335 x 5
    355 x 4
    375 x 4
    385 x 3 --- drop sets
    --> 315 x 6
    lolz at the Arnold/Corney scene. That's some good footage. That's some heavy poundage on your back there big guy. Nice job.

45 - 145 x 10 wu
    135 - 235 x 8
    135 - 235 x 8

And nice way to finish them off brah!
    David

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good squattin' yesterday.

Great pic.

I was in Father's Day Mode yesterday too, but none of it invloved training.

Not, not at all.

I stole that from a song anyway (Hellyeah, by Hellyeah)

Actually almost all my tag lines are from songs.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

[/center]
    I'm going to join the club and re quote this pic again as it is just beautiful
    -------------------------------------------------

Dee

Originally Posted by rpaul11 View Post
    Yeah...I think so. took bout 2.5 weeks for my back to heal up, then I got preoccupied with Real Life. Planning to hit the iron tonight.
    Great. I'll have to stop by your place to see what you're up to!

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    That's a pretty awesome picture right there
    Thanks, David.

lolz at the Arnold/Corney scene. That's some good footage. That's some heavy poundage on your back there big guy. Nice job.
    I'm glad that you appreciated the source of my motivation. While the squats are nothing to write home about, they are up about 20 lbs over last week which is a strong sign of progress.

And nice way to finish them off brah!
    Yeah, things were getting crucial at that point!

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Good squattin' yesterday.
    Yup, not bad for a Flex style warm up...

Great pic.

I was in Father's Day Mode yesterday too, but none of it invloved training.
    Thanks, bro...sounds like you enjoyed yours too.

Not, not at all.

I stole that from a song anyway (Hellyeah, by Hellyeah)

Actually almost all my tag lines are from songs.
    Well, that's a song I need to know!

Originally Posted by Whatanejit View Post
    I'm going to join the club and re quote this pic again as it is just beautiful
    Thanks, Dee! They say never work with children or animals, but I managed to do both in that shot.

-------------

New post on the way...
    Last edited by mharrislove; 06-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Day 5: Hybrid Phase - 2 weeks of off-season training to go

Delts w/calves

The battle against mediocrity continues...

warm up:
    • int/ext shoulder rotation (rotator cuff), 3 x 6-10
    • wall push ups, 1 x 10
    • gastroc/soleus stretch, 1 x 30 s (prior to calf work)

DELTS

Seated DB presses
    ------- Hit 'em high...
    50 x 10 wu
    65 x 10
    75 x 10
    75 x 10
    75 x 8
    ------- Hit 'em low...
    60 x 10
    60 x 10
    60 x 10

There may have been more in the tank to go heavier with the DBs, but getting those things in position is the bottleneck now. A lot can go wrong at the outset or the end of a set. So, it may have been wise to hold back and not push the stabilizers beyond what they can safely handle.

Hammer machine shoulder presses (plate weight listed)
    ------- Hit 'em high...
    100 x 10 wu
    190 x 10
    210 x 7
    230 x 6
    250 x 0 --- fail. Rehab shoulder isn't quite up to task just yet...
    200 x 10
    ------- Hit 'em low... (Reverse Hammer presses, Heath/Glass style)
    100 x 10
    120 x 10
    140 x 10
    160 x 10

DB upright rows SS w/ standing behind the neck overhead presses (SBNOPs using preset straight BB)
    60 x 12 / 85 x 10
    60 x 10 / 85 x 10
    60 x 10 / 85 x 10

Seated laterals
    30 x 10
    30 x 10
    30 x 10

DB front raises
    40 x 8
    35 x 10
    30 x 10 --> superset with Steering wheels
    --> 1 plate x 20

Shrugs
    225 x 10
    315 x 10 --- low back is all good
    315 x 10
    -------- Haney style
    225 x 10
    225 x 10
    225 x 10

CALVES - Ascending sets

Standing heel raises using Smith machine (w/wooden block)
    bar x 10
    135 x 10
    225 x 10
    275 x 10
    325 x 10

Recumbent "standing" heel raises
    150 x 12
    190 x 12
    230 x 12
    290 x 12

"Grandpa's" heel raises
    -------- w/knee flexed
    210 x 15
    250 x 15
    290 x 15
    330 x 15

Impressions:

Stayin' the course with Project Volume for the delts. The small, lingering limitations of the healing shoulders are annoying, but I'm training hard and things will continue to improve - albeit very slowly. In some ways, I'm looking forward to an extended break after the contest season IF the joints can really finally heal. I am asking a lot of them to both heal while also dealing with the abuse that I lay down on them every week. It's a thin line, and I'm walking it about as well as I can given my competitive goals right now.

As predicted, the re-grand opening of the old gym was pushed back until the end of the month. (I checked the ******** page this time, lol...)

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

They'll need to renovate that place again after I'm done wreckin' shop in there before too long...
    Last edited by mharrislove; 06-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good job today. Sorry about the gym delay. Soon enough and then you will be tearing it up.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) righter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Loved the Father's Day photo on the porch. I am definitely a porch dweller come summertime. Mostly in the mornings and evenings as it gets hotter. The pooch is looking buff too!

Quads and biceps: my kind of workout! Great work on the squats and good to hear everything is going smoothly, as much as it can anyway, with over 300 lbs on your back! I need to invest in a belt when I begin squatting again.

High and low variations look interesting. I may work something similar in this week if the shoulders are cooperative.

Heavy shoulder session with a ton of volume. Just nice work all around and a good read to boot.

Sucks the gym re-opening was pushed back again. Seems members should get some kind of discount or a few free months or something. I bet they've lost quite a few people too.

As for the nuggets: Do not gaze into the abyss!!!

(That's your pal, Nietzsche, btw )

Great work today brother. Sucks about the dungeon opening but, par for the course indeed.

And my pleasure bro re Pearl.

Serious delt massacre today MH!

Sorry about the opening set back. But like FIM said, "par for the course."

~ Andrew Carnegie

Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Sillybubba is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There may have been more in the tank to go heavier with the DBs, but getting those things in position is the bottleneck now. A lot can go wrong at the outset or the end of a set. So, it may have been wise to hold back and not push the stabilizers beyond what they can safely handle.
    Great wisdom shown here!
    If you can understand the me, then I can understand the you.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131910793&p=910771933#post910771933

Page 74 of 203 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast