Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio and weight lifting

Okay so I made a thread a few days ago about cardio and bulking up. I was told that I can do cardio after weight lifting to not hurt my gains.
    stats:
    14 years old
    68kg
    176.5 CM

I'm going to start SS, and I really don't want to neglect my heart and lungs.
    I also read that cardio with weight lifting, can help burn off some of the extra fat % that you gain while bulking up.

I'm going to eat 3500-4000 calories a day (20% protein, 40% good fats, 40% carbs).

Here is how I want to combine cardio:
    Day 1:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    day 4:Rest
    day 5:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    day 6: Rest
    Day 7: HIIT for 20minutes in the morning after break fast. (I'm pretty sure I can recover until the next day).

I was wondering if doing this, will help me improve my cardio vascular system, while not hurting my gains. And also help burn of some fat % while bulking up.

I don't care if in the end of the bulking process I won't be able to see my abs. As long as I won't look fat and round.

Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Cookiedude14 View Post
    Okay so I made a thread a few days ago about cardio and bulking up. I was told that I can do cardio after weight lifting to not hurt my gains.
    stats:
    14 years old
    68kg
    176.5 CM

I'm going to start SS, and I really don't want to neglect my heart and lungs.
    I also read that cardio with weight lifting, can help burn off some of the extra fat % that you gain while bulking up.

I'm going to eat 3500-4000 calories a day (20% protein, 40% good fats, 40% carbs).

Here is how I want to combine cardio:
    Day 1:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    day 4:Rest
    day 5:Starting Strength take a protein shake with simple carbs. And then do a medium intensity cardio for 20-30 minutes.
    day 6: Rest
    Day 7: HIIT for 20minutes in the morning after break fast. (I'm pretty sure I can recover until the next day).

I was wondering if doing this, will help me improve my cardio vascular system, while not hurting my gains. And also help burn of some fat % while bulking up.

I don't care if in the end of the bulking process I won't be able to see my abs. As long as I won't look fat and round.
    ok bud im sorry but im going to make you hate your life, yes cardio is in fact fine to do during a bulk however you are doing WAY too much. even though you are bringing in a lot of calories because your burning off so much from the cardio there still wont be much left for muscle building.

Im more of an ECTO and i was able to get away with two 30min sessions of cardio a week and still put on signifcant muscle. But anything more and sorry bud you just wont see any gains. you can be a great runner or a great weight lifter, but you cant be both, but you can still maintain a good aroubic condition it just wont be that of a cross country runner.

also the best way to have cardio not effect your muscle gains is to seperate them as much as possible. so workout in the morning, and run at night or viseversa.

hope this helps.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cookiedude14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gun Master View Post
    ok bud im sorry but im going to make you hate your life, yes cardio is in fact fine to do during a bulk however you are doing WAY too much. even though you are bringing in a lot of calories because your burning off so much from the cardio there still wont be much left for muscle building.

Im more of an ECTO and i was able to get away with two 30min sessions of cardio a week and still put on signifcant muscle. But anything more and sorry bud you just wont see any gains. you can be a great runner or a great weight lifter, but you cant be both, but you can still maintain a good aroubic condition it just wont be that of a cross country runner.

also the best way to have cardio not effect your muscle gains is to seperate them as much as possible. so workout in the morning, and run at night or viseversa.

hope this helps.
    Well I can't really run in the morning because I'll soon have school and I start at 6am.

I'm not looking to be as good as a cross country runner. Just looking to improve at 100m sprint -5km distance nothing more.

If cardio burns so much, then I can eat more calories afterwards. I mean the max it burns is probably 500 calories, after that I can eat that amount.
    And do it on the days off.

How about doing 20-15 minutes medium intensity cardios on the days off, and HIIT on Friday evening (rest on Saturday)? I can easily eat back the calories I burned I just don't want to neglect heart and lungs. And HIIT doesn't take me too long to recover.

Judging by my height and weight (68kg and 176.5cm) what kind of a body type do you think I have? My BF is 8%-6%.
    Last edited by Cookiedude14; 08-26-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gun Master is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I can't really run in the morning because I'll soon have school and I start at 6am.

I'm not looking to be as good as a cross country runner. Just looking to improve at 100m sprint -5km distance nothing more.

If cardio burns so much, then I can eat more calories afterwards. I mean the max it burns is probably 500 calories, after that I can eat that amount.
    And do it on the days off.

How about doing 20-15 minutes medium intensity cardios on the days off, and HIIT on Friday evening (rest on Saturday)? I can easily eat back the calories I burned I just don't want to neglect heart and lungs. And HIIT doesn't take me too long to recover.

Judging by my height and weight (68kg and 176.5cm) what kind of a body type do you think I have? My BF is 8%-6%.

Hit, cardio twice a week, do one 30 min AT run and one 30min HIT/sprint workout. Anything more will hinder your gains due to your bodytype.

end of story.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Limit HIIT to 1x a week.

Do LISS after SS on workdays.

20/40/40? What the fyck? 40/40/20 is probably better - but if you like your fat, 30/40/30...you can get over 1g/lb, y'know. once you're pushing 2x, though...enjoy the bathroom.
    be a lot cooler if you did

Originally Posted by Gun Master View Post
    Hit, cardio twice a week, do one 30 min AT run and one 30min HIT/sprint workout. Anything more will hinder your gains due to your bodytype.

end of story.
    Hi, can you explain why it can hinder my gains? Will it hurt recovery or will I won't have enough calories?

Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000) Kiwisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi, can you explain why it can hinder my gains? Will it hurt recovery or will I won't have enough calories?
    Not enough calories. Even if you shovel in the extra 500 afterwards it'll just make it 500 calories harder to gain weight.

I'm fortunate enough that even on a bulk I find myself wanting more food then I really should be eating (once again even on a bulk). So I kind of have to do a lot of cardio or else I'll turn into a fatass with only decent muscle gains. I don't know if your the same but I don't imagine you are, so shoveling that extra food down your gut will probably be very very uncomfortable so it's best to take it easy.

Barbs385 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You seem to be fairly ectomorph by your low body fat, weight and height etc so you don't need to worry about putting on much/if any excess fat even when bulking. In my opinion you should completely cut out the cardio or at least keep it to a bare minimum in order to put on any decent muscle, whilst still taking in as many calories as possible. If there is any fat gained whilst doing so, simply lower your calorie intake or increase your cardio and you'll be fine. Cardio is pretty much a no go zone for an ecto when bulking. But see what suits you best

.Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) .Excalibur is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can count weightlifting as cardio.

Cardio is anything that makes the heart work at a higher rate, and if lifting doesnt qualify, then i dont know what does.

If you still feel you need more, do some low impact (i wouldnt do any kind of running) stuff after you lift, it shouldnt affect your recovery at all

utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) utormanlet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Haters gonna hate... but to me, cardio is a must regardless of whether you bulk or cut. Doing cardio 3 times a week should be fine (I wouldn't increase it to 4 per week since you're an ecto). The heart is a muscle (kinda?) so why not work it out as well Plus as you said, you will minimize fat gains. It's been working for me so far... but that may be because I started at 30% body fat and am working my way down.

Why not split your cardio into a warm up and cooldown for training... 10-15 mins of jogging/bike before and after the weight workout.

Tyler0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by utormanlet View Post
    Haters gonna hate... but to me, cardio is a must regardless of whether you bulk or cut. Doing cardio 3 times a week should be fine (I wouldn't increase it to 4 per week since you're an ecto). The heart is a muscle (kinda?) so why not work it out as well Plus as you said, you will minimize fat gains. It's been working for me so far... but that may be because I started at 30% body fat and am working my way down.

Why not split your cardio into a warm up and cooldown for training... 10-15 mins of jogging/bike before and after the weight workout.
    This guy has got it down. Either way, what i do is:
    Day 1: lifting
    Day 2: HIIT
    Day 3: Lifting
    Day 4: HIIT
    Day 5: Lifting
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: lifting+45 minutes jog 8 hours later.
    Whoever it was that said lifting is cardio is completely right, but its not the intense kind of cardio you are going to need if you're going to be an excellent athlete. Cardio is a must, and should be done a MINIMUM of 1x a week, and thats only if you're bulking, and you're just getting started seriously exercising, playing a sport, etc.
    And any time you run and lift on the same day, lift first, and allow a minimum of eight hours of rest for your body to recover.
    Last edited by Tyler0; 11-15-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: missed something

vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vandagriff16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by utormanlet View Post

Kind of?!

sorry, made me lol. Of course your heart is a muscle....