Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rolo01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lifting heavy will get you mass?or lifting in the 10-12 rep range will?

I first started going heavy low reps. But, now I do the 10-12 rep range. Which is true for mass gains? Also, what about the 100 rep range thing? I read this shocks the body to grow like crazy to. Which does which? I know heavy weight is gonna get you stronger but what about building mass?

Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Maluket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'd suggest a variety of rep ranges. But I'd do most of the work in the 5 to 12 range. Less than that and yes, your muscles are growing, but it's more about strength. More than that and yes, your muscles are growing, but it's more about endurance. My understanding, anyway.

metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000) metallideth is just really nice. (+1000)
    exhausting the muscle is what will make you gain mass. you could do that by training with high reps and lifting moderately heavy weights or by lifting super heavy for a few reps.
    Last edited by metallideth; 08-26-2010 at 08:28 AM.
    ****MISC STRENGTH CREW****

****PLANET FITNESS CREW****

****EDM CREW****

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rolo01 View Post
    I first started going heavy low reps. But, now I do the 10-12 rep range. Which is true for mass gains? Also, what about the 100 rep range thing? I read this shocks the body to grow like crazy to. Which does which? I know heavy weight is gonna get you stronger but what about building mass?
    At your stage rep range is going to be less important then steady progression, consistency and diet. Pick a program, any program stick with it for a year, change up your intensity, frequency or volume, add weight or reps as often as you are able to and stuff your face with foods that don't rhyme with bloreos.

rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rayr2010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    and stuff your face with foods that don't rhyme with bloreos.
    hilarious

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Main thing is to take each set to failure and continually add reps and then weight each or every other workout
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rolo01 View Post
    Both will bring you some form of gain. However, I don't suggest trying the 100 repetition system too often.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is no conclusive magic rep range. Research shows various ranges optimal for hypertrophy. A good trump card to the rep range debate is basic progressive overload. As long as the weight is progressively increasing it makes little difference what rep range you are using (assuming you aren't using ultra high reps). To stimulate all fibers, perform different rep range combinations & find what works best for you.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    At your stage rep range is going to be less important then steady progression, consistency and diet. Pick a program, any program stick with it for a year, change up your intensity, frequency or volume, add weight or reps as often as you are able to and stuff your face with foods that don't rhyme with bloreos.
    I tend to agree with this. I know guys who have developed huge, balanced physiques using both methods. For the novice the above statement definitely holds true.

I personally am an advocate of a heavy focus on very low reps with heavy weight and a lot of volume. However even for me this only comprises 60-90% of my workout, depending on what I am doing. Currently I am doing more rep work for a couple of weeks. I still have days where I do 5-10 singles on my core lifts, but most of my primary movements (barbell rows, deadlifts, floor presses, front squats) had a session in the last week where I did 5x15 or 10x10 (I very much like 10x10 for pressing movements and rows and 5x15 for lower body lifts… simply personal preference). When in a phase where I am working a lot of singles and doubles I still do some 12-20 rep sets, however they make up a very tiny amount of my routine.

I think a bodybuilder who is concerned with overall development will not neglect any rep range completely. Heavy singles and sets of 20 have their place in every phase of training, however alternating phases with a heavier focus on various rep ranges produces the greatest results over time for one seeking maximum development.

I will add that I very much feel the novice should have a heavier focus on building a low rep strength foundation and phases where one is focused on sarcoplasmic hypertroph such as GVT, should be preceeded by a power training phase in order to maximize the workload potential via the weight handled for the higher rep sets in the following phase.

Registered (ab)user dillingerescp's Avatar
    dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dillingerescp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    New studies say you don't need heavy weights/low reps to build muscle, but that is not to say heavy weights/low reps won't do the job!

http://www.physorg.com/news200747288.html
    "Friends come and go, but 200 pounds will always be 200 pounds."

SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SJ2K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1-4 repetition maximum to gain strength, 7-10rm to gain size, 12rm+ to increase endurance.

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dillingerescp View Post
    New studies say you don't need heavy weights/low reps to build muscle, but that is not to say heavy weights/low reps won't do the job!

http://www.physorg.com/news200747288.html
    No that study says that doing very high reps while doing unilateral work in the quads (we already know quads benefit more from higher reps than upper body does) induces longer protein synthesis than lower reps with a heavier weight WHEN the volume is higher utilizing a single set. It does NOT show that 30%1RM induces as much muscle growth as 60% or 90%1rm in the real world.

Flaws:
    1) a lot of who like low reps do tons of volume, as there is an established coloration between volume and hypertrophy/protein synthesis. Test both with the same amount of volume. Have the 90% 1rm group do set until they reach 24 reps also, and see who has higher and longer protein synthesis. Who the **** does 1 set for mass other than Mike Menzer? I might do 30 sets of 3 reps over the course of a week for a lift I am working on do my 90 reps with 90% 1rm induce more protein synthesis than 24 reps with 30% 1rm?

2) this was tested in a muscle known to benefit more from higher reps than most. Try the same experiment with a bicep or pec.

3) longer induced protein synthesis doesn't automatically guarantee more hypertrophy, and a lot of hardcore athletes and hobbyists train very frequently on the same muscle groups, often closer than 24 hours apart. I do.

4) generally speaking most people know their quads will grow more quickly from squats than from unilateral leg extensions. Why weren't lift known to be more effective for muscle growth used? Would there be different results?

Show me one guy who has built 30" thighs doing exclusively ultra high rep leg extensions and leg curls (machine isolation work). The data in this study clearly doesn't apply in the real world.

Originally Posted by SJ2K View Post
    1-4 repetition maximum to gain strength, 7-10rm to gain size, 12rm+ to increase endurance.
    :: rolls eyes ::

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like to lift heavy for 6-10 reps..that's my main rep range..i tend to go lower on squats and deads and that's about it.. lol

Twitch9254 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In Arnolds book it says that 1-6 is for increasing strength, 8-12 is for increasing muscle volume, and anything above that is for endurance. However with the different ranges you do hit different muscle fibers. You don't just want to develop one type of muscle fiber. It would be good to develop both fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. So during Arnolds workouts he would always do his last one or two sets of each exercise in the 15 rep range to hit the different fibers. But he's a bodybuilder so obviously its different. For us normal people the main thing you really wanna focus on is going until you hit failure and pushing through the last reps because that is when you break down your muscle.

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Twitch9254 View Post
    In Arnolds book it says that 1-6 is for increasing strength, 8-12 is for increasing muscle volume, and anything above that is for endurance. However with the different ranges you do hit different muscle fibers. You don't just want to develop one type of muscle fiber. It would be good to develop both fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. So during Arnolds workouts he would always do his last one or two sets of each exercise in the 15 rep range to hit the different fibers. But he's a bodybuilder so obviously its different. For us normal people the main thing you really wanna focus on is going until you hit failure and pushing through the last reps because that is when you break down your muscle.
    ???
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

native89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've read for best mass gain it has to be swapped between high reps and low reps to work both fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibres?

Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
    Excellent find. Thanks for linking!
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped

Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
    They hit every point of mine and then a few more. Pretty much sums it up.

Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10) Danivs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    They hit every point of mine and then a few more. Pretty much sums it up.
    lol

tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10) tommysauder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    While I'm bulking I push myself to the max for each different workout. Certain workouts I keep 5 sets of 5 because my body physically will be useless after 5 (and at the end of the fifth set and fifth rep, i have a spotter). Benching 245lbs 5 sets of 5 no spotter, but by my last chest workout I can barely do cable flys at 50lbs without screaming. Exhaustion is key and whatever works for you works.

It's one of those trial and error deals. 10 years working out I found what worked best for me and I stick by it religiously because it has never failed me.

Experiment 2 months at a time, every 2 months assess. Whatever worked out the best for you stick by it.

1 out of 3 chest workouts is 3 sets of 10, other 2 are 5 sets of 5. 2 out of every back workout is 3 sets of 8, one is 5 sets of 5. etc.. etc..

gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) gomez26 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lifting as heavy as possible for 8-12 reps (with good form) is best for mass for most of the population.
    "Though the concept is not scientifically validated in detail (it should be considered as a hypothesis rather than a scientific theory), it is useful from a practical standpoint. When training athletes, it is impossible to wait until scientific research provides all of the necessary knowledge." Vladmir M. Zatsiorsky, Ph.D.

Originally Posted by gomez26 View Post
    lifting as heavy as possible for 8-12 reps (with good form) is best for mass for most of the population.
    You haven't read any of the other posts have you?
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped