Page 14 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    Smolovian apprentice mharrislove's Avatar
    mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post

Closed with 8 minutes on heavy bag. Was in a real zone here, everything else fading to nothingness. Just me, just that bag. Feet moving on their own. Arms, hand moving in my old, familiar rhythm...moving across planes, across patterns long stored in the memory banks. Bag swinging violently, seemingly being bent in half, rafters quaking. The power is back...awakened, unrestrained, unhampered and feeling more alive than it has in many, many years.

Totally drained after 7 minutes. Take off my old gloves and notice the major knuckles across my right hand...all bleeding. Look at the bag...it looks worse for the wear. Excellent.

Jog home.

Feeling great.
    ^^^Inspirational. Anecdotal evidence that real training is more than sets, reps, and target heart rates... Real training occurs from the inside out. Flat abs...big arms...a strong bench press - those things are all just the side effects of developing an iron mind.
    "First train the mind, then the body."

Made from all-natural products since 1968...no gear, no HRT, no prohormones.

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IronAvalanche View Post
    Weighted bench dips FTW!!

Great job!
    Many thanks IA!

Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    <<< that's all I got. lol Extraordinary today, you!
    Thank you WEG.

Originally Posted by Meatpants View Post
    "You gotta a lot of heart, kid."

Nice workout today. Arms gotta be feeling it.

Yeah, they were feeling it, especially later in the evening. This morning though, not too bad at all.

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    Solid arm workout today, FIM.

-=FLEX=-
    Thanks Flex.

Originally Posted by Doc.Happy View Post
    very impressive workout today! im so jealous of all you who got to go to the gym today and workout!
    Thank you Doc.

Originally Posted by mharrislove View Post
    ^^^Inspirational. Anecdotal evidence that real training is more than sets, reps, and target heart rates... Real training occurs from the inside out. Flat abs...big arms...a strong bench press - those things are all just the side effects of developing an iron mind.
    Amen MHL and thank you sir...for everything.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Closed with 8 minutes on heavy bag. Was in a real zone here, everything else fading to nothingness. Just me, just that bag. Feet moving on their own. Arms, hand moving in my old, familiar rhythm...moving across planes, across patterns long stored in the memory banks. Bag swinging violently, seemingly being bent in half, rafters quaking. The power is back...awakened, unrestrained, unhampered and feeling more alive than it has in many, many years.

Totally drained after 7 minutes. Take off my old gloves and notice the major knuckles across my right hand...all bleeding. Look at the bag...it looks worse for the wear. Excellent.

Jog home.

Feeling great.

You 2 should collaborate on a movie script

Good stuff.
    David

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "And I am reminded, on this Holy day, of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, a long time ago, almost thirty years ago, this poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Today I was on a mission. Had to have an abbreivated session in the dungeon, but I went there on a mission nonetheless.

Deadlifts:
    10 x 135lbs
    7 x 185lbs
    5 x 235lbs
    3 x 285lbs
    0 x 305lbs - FAIL...Ok, rest. Look at the bar/iron on the floor...look at it...taunting me. The music once more is silenced. It's me and that iron in the darkened corner of the dungeon. Look it at again...see it representing that which stands in my way, that which has held me back, the proverbial thumb on my head, holding me down. Anger rises up. I will not allow this to get the best of me, not this day. Bend and grab the bar again, knowing this time it poses no obstacle, I see the movements in my head, fluid and sure, and see the completion in my head as well...this is a done deal...
    2 x 305lbs (PB)...mission accomplished, ceiling busted. Iron vanquished.
    3 x 285lbs
    5 x 235lbs
    7 x 185lbs
    10 x 135lbs

Hack Press (Calves):
    10 x 270lbs
    10 x 360lbs
    10 x 450lbs
    7 x 500lbs

Leg Press + Crunches:
    15 x 270lbs (+ 15 crunches)
    10 x 360lbs (+ 15 crunches)
    10 x 450lbs (+ 25 crunches)
    10 x 500lbs (+ 40 crunches)

Leg Extensions + Speed Rope:
    20 x 90lbs (+ 60 seconds w/ speed rope)
    12 x 130lbs (+ 60 seconds w/ speed rope)
    10 x 170lbs (+ 60 seconds w/ speed rope)

Closed with 4 minutes on heavy bag.

Drained. Mentally, physically....but feeling outstanding.

Walk home.

Make it a great day folks.

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Great workout today.

Congrats on PB.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

-In Reconstruction Mode- IronAvalanche's Avatar
    IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=FlaIronMind;570025151]
    0 x 305lbs - FAIL...Ok, rest. Look at the bar/iron on the floor...look at it...taunting me. The music once more is silenced. It's me and that iron in the darkened corner of the dungeon. Look it at again...see it representing that which stands in my way, that which has held me back, the proverbial thumb on my head, holding me down. Anger rises up. I will not allow this to get the best of me, not this day. Bend and grab the bar again, knowing this time it poses no obstacle, I see the movements in my head, fluid and sure, and see the completion in my head as well...this is a done deal...
    2 x 305lbs (PB)...mission accomplished, ceiling busted. Iron vanquished.[QUOTE]

One if the best descriptions I have read of the battle of wills. Congrats in the PB!
    I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
    ~ Philippians 4:13

"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
    ~ Andrew Carnegie

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    You 2 should collaborate on a movie script

Good stuff.

Thanks David...though I think MHL's talent for prose exceeds mine.

Originally Posted by Meatpants View Post
    Great workout today.

Congrats on PB.
    Thank you MP.

One if the best descriptions I have read of the battle of wills. Congrats in the PB!
    Thank you IA!

r u living your signature Doc.Happy's Avatar
    Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i was going to write the same thing! that is an awesome perspective on it. way to power through and not just give up!
    "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. for the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. and let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:7-9

i was going to write the same thing! that is an awesome perspective on it. way to power through and not just give up!
    Thanks Doc.

mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mharrislove has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Today I was on a mission. Had to have an abbreivated session in the dungeon, but I went there on a mission nonetheless.

Deadlifts:
    10 x 135lbs
    7 x 185lbs
    5 x 235lbs
    3 x 285lbs
    3 x 285lbs
    5 x 235lbs
    7 x 185lbs
    10 x 135lbs

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

2 x 305lbs (PB)...[i]mission accomplished, ceiling busted. Iron vanquished.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post

-=FLEX=-
    Gentlemen, thank you both...much appreciated.

Today was an unscheduled rest day. Not by choice. The contractors showed up earlier than I ever imagined they would and proceeded to turn to ashes just about everything that resembled the structural integrity I once called a home. Equipment is everywhere, belongings are relegated to a couple of rooms, plastic sheets are splayed throughout, running from floor to ceiling in certain spots, furniture is more of a "concept" now rather than a planned, well-laid-out feature and I feel as if my floor has been turned into sand-pebbles. Walking requires flip-flops. Ah well, such is progress.

Again, they tell me they will be finished by Wednesday, no, wait, by Thursday...well, Thursday, but maybe Friday...ok, maybe next Thursday...no, not this Thursday, next Thursday...

Yeah...ok fellas...ok.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

Epic victory today FIM. Epic. I've had those same wars at the deadlift bar.

Well done sir.
    David

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Epic victory today FIM. Epic. I've had those same wars at the deadlift bar.

Well done sir.
    Thank you David.

"Ignited with burning conviction
    Become the fuse
    Behold the power of redemption
    Become the fuse
    Let this be the catalyst of action
    Become the fuse
    Summon fire of devotion
    Become the fuse
    Let this be a life tranformation"

So began today's session.

Bench Press:
    7 x 155lbs
    5 x 175lbs
    3 x 185lbs
    2 x 195lbs
    1 x 200lbs (PB)
    5 x 170lbs
    7 x 150lbs
    10 x 135lbs

Decline Press:
    10 x 115lbs
    10 x 135lbs
    5 x 155lbs
    5 x 155lbs
    3 x 175lbs
    7 x 155lbs
    10 x 135lbs

Fly (Cables, Standing):
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs

DB Press (Incline):
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 30lbs
    10 x 40lbs
    10 x 40lbs

Closed with 3 minutes on heavy bag.

Jog home.

Still dealing with these contractors, but feeling great.

Make it a great day folks.

Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Doc.Happy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what a great way to start your day! congrats on the PR, that is fabulous!

have an outstanding day!
    "Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. for the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. and let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Galatians 6:7-9

Nice lyrics to kick things off...

The bench presses are coming along - nice work on the PB! Although, like your other workouts, you have lots of smaller weight increments before hitting the max set, so your true PB is probably about 10-15 lbs higher than what you recorded.

I suspect that you are more interested in your total workload/intensity rather than saving your best effort for one set (so, of course, PBs within this framework still constitute progress). But inform me of your modus operandi when you get a chance.

what a great way to start your day! congrats on the PR, that is fabulous!

have an outstanding day!
    Many thanks Doc and you do the same.

Nice lyrics to kick things off...

The bench presses are coming along - nice work on the PB! Although, like your other workouts, you have lots of smaller weight increments before hitting the max set, so your true PB is probably about 10-15 lbs higher than what you recorded.

I suspect that you are more interested in your total workload/intensity rather than saving your best effort for one set (so, of course, PBs within this framework still constitute progress). But inform me of your modus operandi when you get a chance.
    Many thanks MHL.

Generally speaking, I've always favored overall volume as opposed to just going in and doing few high-weight sets. Not necessarily in order to increase endurance but, perhaps, in my mind anyway, it is more placebo than actual science - I perceive a better response to keeping my muscles under tension with higher volume sets vs. how I feel with low-rep, higher weight sets.

That's how it has been historically for me, so it has stuck. To be frank, since returning to the dungeon, I've not yet gone in and just banged out a session that is exclusively limited to lower-rep, higher-weight. Perhaps an experiment is in order.
    Last edited by FlaIronMind; 11-02-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Fix typo

Haven't made it to the dungeon today...yet.

Had a toothache last night that kept me up to the point that I knew a phone call to my dentist this morning was in order and that I had to get in there asap. They told me to immediately come over, which I did. An x-ray or two later and was told that I needed a root canal.

Can you start it now? This pain needs to be gone.

Yep, we can.

Do it.

So, phase 1 of the root canal now over. That's been my morning thus far. Still feel like a numb, drooling mess.

Fun stuff, huh?

-In Reconstruction Mode- IronAvalanche's Avatar
    IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000) IronAvalanche is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You have my sympathies. A toothache has to be one of the worst pains to have.
    I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
    ~ Philippians 4:13

"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents."
    ~ Andrew Carnegie

Had a toothache last night that kept me up to the point that I knew a phone call to my dentist this morning was in order and that I had to get in there asap. They told me to immediately come over, which I did. An x-ray or two later and was told that I needed a root canal.

Yep, we can.

Do it.

So, phase 1 of the root canal now over. That's been my morning thus far. Still feel like a numb, drooling mess.

Fun stuff, huh?
    that sucks! so sorry. the one and only root canal i have had they messed up on the bone got all infected and i had to have the tooth pulled. was supposed to go back for an implant but it just sounds so painful! but i need to do it as i am very self conscious about the missing tooth! hate going to the dentist!

You have my sympathies. A toothache has to be one of the worst pains to have.
    Thanks IA. Yep, it is. Amazing too really...something so small causes such pain.

that sucks! so sorry. the one and only root canal i have had they messed up on the bone got all infected and i had to have the tooth pulled. was supposed to go back for an implant but it just sounds so painful! but i need to do it as i am very self conscious about the missing tooth! hate going to the dentist!
    Thanks Doc. The last root canal I had, with a different dentist, lasted a number of years but then ultimately failed, causing the same scenario you have. I ended up having to have the tooth pulled (just a few months ago). It was a very back molar, so I'm not concerned with it, but am planning on having an implant, eventually.

As for the pain, yeah, I hate it as well. I bear it, but it's no picnic. But, there are options depending on what manner of dentist you go to. For my extraction, I went to a friend of the family who is a combo MD/DDS (oral surgeon). He put an IV in my arm and I was lights out. Woke up and the tooth was gone. Definitely the way to go if you are sensitive to it...and they can probably do the same thing with implants.

Thanks IA. Yep, it is. Amazing too really...something so small causes such pain.

Thanks Doc. The last root canal I had, with a different dentist, lasted a number of years but then ultimately failed, causing the same scenario you have. I ended up having to have the tooth pulled (just a few months ago). It was a very back molar, so I'm not concerned with it, but am planning on having an implant, eventually.

As for the pain, yeah, I hate it as well. I bear it, but it's no picnic. But, there are options depending on what manner of dentist you go to. For my extraction, I went to a friend of the family who is a combo MD/DDS (oral surgeon). He put an IV in my arm and I was lights out. Woke up and the tooth was gone. Definitely the way to go if you are sensitive to it...and they can probably do the same thing with implants.
    the pulling part wasnt that bad, didnt mind that. the though of them screwing something into the bone, that gives me chills! but i have a tech who works in a dental office as well and she says that it doesnt hurt that bad. not so sure i believe her! but i do need to go and get it taken care of. it has been over a year since i had it pulled!

the pulling part wasnt that bad, didnt mind that. the though of them screwing something into the bone, that gives me chills! but i have a tech who works in a dental office as well and she says that it doesnt hurt that bad. not so sure i believe her! but i do need to go and get it taken care of. it has been over a year since i had it pulled!
    Yeah, thinking of the process doesn't exactly make for pleasant thoughts. But, consider it this way - a craniotomy is often done with folks wide awake, talking, etc. That kind of makes having some mandibular/dental implants not seem so bad.

Many thanks MHL.

Generally speaking, I've always favored overall volume as opposed to just going in and doing few high-weight sets. Not necessarily in order to increase endurance but, perhaps, in my mind anyway, it is more placebo than actual science - I perceive a better response to keeping my muscles under tension with higher volume sets vs. how I feel with low-rep, higher weight sets.

That's how it has been historically for me, so it has stuck. To be frank, since returning to the dungeon, I've not yet gone in and just banged out a session that is exclusively limited to lower-rep, higher-weight. Perhaps an experiment is in order.
    IMO, there's nothing wrong with this approach - especially if it meets your training goals. I mean, we all train towards our physiological tendencies. Observe the higher reps in 2nd_Chance's journal, or my journal when I choose to do my default mode of 4-6 reps. In my case, I have made a conscious decision to get out of my comfort zone in order to get the physique that I want (and to be fair, David has also explored this too). But we probably all agree that regardless of your rep comfort zone, the commitment to progression is the key ingredient to making progress. And you clearly have this principle as the keystone of your regimen.

Yep, we can.

Do it.

Fun stuff, huh?
    Muscle pain from the effects of transient hypoxia and constraints to anabolic metabolism = YES

Joint pain from hoisting crushing weights = I CAN DEAL

Shooting pain from dental issues = NO

Get well soon!

Yeah, thinking of the process doesn't exactly make for pleasant thoughts. But, consider it this way - a craniotomy is often done with folks wide awake, talking, etc. That kind of makes having some mandibular/dental implants not seem so bad.
    You guys are killin' me with the craniotomy talk!

IMO, there's nothing wrong with this approach - especially if it meets your training goals. I mean, we all train towards our physiological tendencies. Observe the higher reps in 2nd_Chance's journal, or my journal when I choose to do my default mode of 4-6 reps. In my case, I have made a conscious decision to get out of my comfort zone in order to get the physique that I want (and to be fair, David has also explored this too). But we probably all agree that regardless of your rep comfort zone, the commitment to progression is the key ingredient to making progress. And you clearly have this principle as the keystone of your regimen.

Muscle pain from the effects of transient hypoxia and constraints to anabolic metabolism = YES

Joint pain from hoisting crushing weights = I CAN DEAL

Shooting pain from dental issues = NO

Get well soon!

You guys are killin' me with the craniotomy talk!

Thank you sir. It's funny. You can spend endless hours reading, studying, making determinations that Poliquin is spot-on or that all debate ends with Mentzer. Kinakin says one thing and Hugo Rivera and/or John Hansen each say something different. There are countless theories folks adhere to, some quite steadfastly. Is one superior? In the end, I think it all boils down to finding a path of progression and development that works for one's self; one which minimizes risks (however subjectively "risks" are construed - be they injuries, down/rest time, etc.) and which maximizes return. This is, of course, not necessarily a stagnant thing, but rather is fluid; it changes as one progresses and evolves up the bodybuilding evolutionary spectrum.

A little over two months in to my return to the dungeon, I'm finding my historical approach to be propelling me nicely along the path of such development, though I am by no means "married" to such an approach and am always willing to move towards what suits me best. For now, I feel my progression, certainly noticing forward/upward motion with the amount of iron I am able to move from point "a" to point "b," as well as with respect to the frequency I can move it.

I (think anyway) that I can notice it in the mirror, and I certainly can notice it the clothes I'm wearing. Shirt sleeves are getting tighter around the arm, prior man-boobs are shrinking, "belly" is going down and the abdominals underneath previous stores of fat are starting to peek their heads. Pants are now falling off me unless I wear a belt, cinched over as far as it can go. As you so eloquently pointed out within your own journal, I've started getting nods and bits of conversation on routines/approach/etc. from the "big guys" in my dungeon, fellas have asked me to spot 'em, with the dungeon staff knowing my name and when I'm not there at my usual time, it does not go un-noticed. However, I will soon be reaching the point where I have surpassed where I was, say, 10 years ago, and a shift in the paradigm will likely be in order...hence, experimenting with lower reps, higher weights will be due. As outstanding as the progression/development feels at this point, the journey to where I envision myself is going to require such experimentation, particularly as I sail into previously uncharted waters...and I cannot wait.

And...PS -

Yeah, it's surprising how much more pain I am willing to accept and/or endure compared to that which is dental pain.

The numbers for today are beyond screwed up. With the root canal phase 1 taking place early this morning, I've not been able to eat anything of any substance. That said, the numbers for today:

Total caloric intake = 912

Macros:
    Protein = 67g.
    Carbs = 121g.
    Fat = 20g.

yes but the innervation there is significantly less than that of the oral cavity which is high innervated because of all the sensations that the mouth provides us! it would almost be preferable to have a craniotomy to a root canal!

Thank you sir. It's funny. You can spend endless hours reading, studying, making determinations that Poliquin is spot-on or that all debate ends with Mentzer. Kinakin says one thing and Hugo Rivera and/or John Hansen each say something different. There are countless theories folks adhere to, some quite steadfastly. Is one superior? In the end, I think it all boils down to finding a path of progression and development that works for one's self; one which minimizes risks (however subjectively "risks" are construed - be they injuries, down/rest time, etc.) and which maximizes return. This is, of course, not necessarily a stagnant thing, but rather is fluid; it changes as one progresses and evolves up the bodybuilding evolutionary spectrum.

A little over two months in to my return to the dungeon, I'm finding my historical approach to be propelling me nicely along the path of such development, though I am by no means "married" to such an approach and am always willing to move towards what suits me best. For now, I feel my progression, certainly noticing forward/upward motion with the amount of iron I am able to move from point "a" to point "b," as well as with respect to the frequency I can move it.

I (think anyway) that I can notice it in the mirror, and I certainly can notice it the clothes I'm wearing. Shirt sleeves are getting tighter around the arm, prior man-boobs are shrinking, "belly" is going down and the abdominals underneath previous stores of fat are starting to peek their heads. Pants are now falling off me unless I wear a belt, cinched over as far as it can go. As you so eloquently pointed out within your own journal, I've started getting nods and bits of conversation on routines/approach/etc. from the "big guys" in my dungeon, fellas have asked me to spot 'em, with the dungeon staff knowing my name and when I'm not there at my usual time, it does not go un-noticed. However, I will soon be reaching the point where I have surpassed where I was, say, 10 years ago, and a shift in the paradigm will likely be in order...hence, experimenting with lower reps, higher weights will be due. As outstanding as the progression/development feels at this point, the journey to where I envision myself is going to require such experimentation, particularly as I sail into previously uncharted waters...and I cannot wait.

And...PS -

Yeah, it's surprising how much more pain I am willing to accept and/or endure compared to that which is dental pain.
    and this is what i love the most about the O35 journals, actual thought process and clearly written and very well worded! great thoughts, thanks!

Total caloric intake = 912
    Nice cut

Hey.... we gonna see an avi soon?
    David

Page 14 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 114 ... LastLast