Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

"Free Lance" Personal Training?

Searched, and couldn't find great answers (maybe not searching for the right stuff *shrug*).

Anyways I realize I'm not the best shape, but at the same time I've had people in the past and especially in the present (since I've recently mentioned to a few ppl about making a home gym) halfway serious say they would pay me to train them...I don't know how to take this approach. IF I were I would only probably take on one or two people as this is not a career choice (current college student), but fitness is a serious part of my life you could say.

My concerns are:

Do I legally need certifications if I do this at home or public (parks/etc)?
    Other legal concerns that I'm missing?

Thanks
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit
    You Deserve What You Settle For

Check out my past completed supplement log(s):
    LG Sciences Cold Fusion EX - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=385525371#post385525371
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=402458291#post402458291
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT & Anadraulic Pump - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=472949631#post472949631

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Josh86 View Post

My concerns are:

Thanks
    Legally you don't need any certifications. However, you may need a license from the city to train someone at a local park, but most of the time it will go unnoticed unless you're doing something like a 50 ppl boot camp.

You'll need liability insurance. If you're taking money from clients, you're considered a business and unless you formed a separate business entity you're considered a sole prop. As a sole proprietor, you are liable for pretty much everything.
    IFPA/PNBA Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    P4P Muscle Sponsored Athlete
    Fitness and Nutrition Programs www.Payhip.com/JulianBrownFitness
    www.JulianBrownTraining.com
    www.********.com/Julianbrownpersonaltraining
    www.dailymotion.com/julian11453
    www.Twitter.com/Jbtraining
    www.askthetrainer.com/author/julianbrown/

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My concerns are:

Thanks
    - Yes. You're providing a health care service. You aren't meant to be helping somebody if you aren't legally qualified to do so. You must go through the certification process like everybody else.

- Insurance and liability mainly. If something goes pear-shaped and you either aren't qualified and insured, your ass is gone.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Josh86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JulianBee View Post
    Legally you don't need any certifications. However, you may need a license from the city to train someone at a local park, but most of the time it will go unnoticed unless you're doing something like a 50 ppl boot camp.

You'll need liability insurance. If you're taking money from clients, you're considered a business and unless you formed a separate business entity you're considered a sole prop. As a sole proprietor, you are liable for pretty much everything.
    Yeah I was unsure of the certification, and probably wouldn't be doing it at city parks I guess for the reason you mentioned. Where do you "get" liability insurance and whats it classified under (like car insurance...etc?) to see if my insurance company carries it. Whats the usually going rate? I figured that about the sole prop., but that's why I still made this thread.

Originally Posted by Simmo0508 View Post
    - Yes. You're providing a health care service. You aren't meant to be helping somebody if you aren't legally qualified to do so. You must go through the certification process like everybody else.

- Insurance and liability mainly. If something goes pear-shaped and you either aren't qualified and insured, your ass is gone.
    Seems like your post is conflicting with JulianBee, but I see your located in Australia so I maybe it's different there?

So even though I inform these people who approach me that I am NOT a personal trainer, certified in any way, but they still want to continue to be "trained" by me could I get them to sign up a document waiving any legal liability if they get hurt or something?
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit

LG Sciences Cold Fusion EX - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=385525371#post385525371
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=402458291#post402458291
    LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT & Anadraulic Pump - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=472949631#post472949631

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i could be wrong but i think you'll find it is VERY difficult to get insurance if you are not certified / qualified in the field. Pretty sure it's impossible here in Aus anyway.

as for the rest... well who knows. In theory you'd think if you tell someone up front "ok, you know i'm not qualified as a trainer but i'll help you out as best I can" then they're accepting the risk that something might go wrong, compared to a qualified professional who they can reasonably expect that not make any serious mistakes. On the other hand though, people can be jerks and smell dollar signs when they get injured, even though they knew the risks before hand.

Off topic but when i worked in corporate security one of the most serious issues we had was the amount of scam artists who'd turn up any time it rained looking to slip over and get a liability payout. Same sort of thing COULD happen to a trainer pretty easily (not necessarily a scam artist, but you know what I mean) and without insurance... just too much of a risk IMO.

JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JulianBee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah I was unsure of the certification, and probably wouldn't be doing it at city parks I guess for the reason you mentioned. Where do you "get" liability insurance and whats it classified under (like car insurance...etc?) to see if my insurance company carries it. Whats the usually going rate? I figured that about the sole prop., but that's why I still made this thread.

Seems like your post is conflicting with JulianBee, but I see your located in Australia so I maybe it's different there?

So even though I inform these people who approach me that I am NOT a personal trainer, certified in any way, but they still want to continue to be "trained" by me could I get them to sign up a document waiving any legal liability if they get hurt or something?
    In the states, you don't have to be certified to train, but I'm not sure if you have to be certified to get insurance. It probably depends on the insurance company. Generally, you'll pay around $180 annually.

Originally Posted by JulianBee View Post
    In the states, you don't have to be certified to train, but I'm not sure if you have to be certified to get insurance. It probably depends on the insurance company. Generally, you'll pay around $180 annually.
    Thanks, so what kinda insurance is this exactly so I know what to ask for with the company that carries my car insurance/etc? What major companies (like State Farm) carry whatever "type" this is if mine doesn't?
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Let's set aside the legal issues for a moment, and think of basic ethics.

Why wouldn't you want to be qualified and registered? Why wouldn't you improve your knowledge and experience so that you could better help your clients? Why wouldn't you learn from those who've come before you, had hundreds or even thousands of clients, and instead just stumble through on your own?

You're dealing with people's health, their performance, looks, and ultimately confidence and happiness. Why wouldn't you want every bit of education and experience you could possibly get for that?

Thanks, so what kinda insurance is this exactly so I know what to ask for with the company that carries my car insurance/etc? What major companies (like State Farm) carry whatever "type" this is if mine doesn't?
    Google personal trainer insurance. I get my insurance through my certifying company.

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post

Why wouldn't you want to be qualified and registered? Why wouldn't you improve your knowledge and experience so that you could better help your clients? Why wouldn't you learn from those who've come before you, had hundreds or even thousands of clients, and instead just stumble through on your own?

You're dealing with people's health, their performance, looks, and ultimately confidence and happiness. Why wouldn't you want every bit of education and experience you could possibly get for that?
    Well put

Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post

I get what your saying totally, but this isn't my career path as I mentioned (currently in college) and more of a serious part of my life/lifestyle. I guess I shouldn't take on training someone as it does affect them even if I could do a good job as people want me to help them due to my own personal "success" without acquiring the proper education as you said. I currently don't see myself wanting to pursue that education to train/teach others do to my own career path choice which is not this field and I already have enough "on my plate" so to speak. Thanks for the information though everyone.
    Never Accept Defeat
    Never Quit

Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000) Al Shades is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You won't need them unless you get sued. You can avoid getting sued by giving out a fake home address...

Use craigslist and keep your rates low or you won't get any responses.