Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push ups everyday...?

Alright, now first off I feel like a total newb for asking this question.. but...

Is it ok (beneficial) to do push ups everyday? Usually, obviously, your supposed to give your body time to recover (48 hours)... but on wrestling teams, and in the military, and things of that nature (all kinds of sports/programs) they make you do tons of push ups everyday. Just something that crossed my mind and was wondering about others thoughts/experiences on it.

Are push ups every day as good as every other day, better, or worse.

noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    They are more effective at gains when you rest as is every weight training method.

Acrux12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Taurean508 View Post
    Alright, now first off I feel like a total newb for asking this question.. but...

Is it ok (beneficial) to do push ups everyday? Usually, obviously, your supposed to give your body time to recover (48 hours)... but on wrestling teams, and in the military, and things of that nature (all kinds of sports/programs) they make you do tons of push ups everyday. Just something that crossed my mind and was wondering about others thoughts/experiences on it.

It's a good question. Unless you are doing 500+ push-ups a day, there is no need to rest in between. It is a fairly simple movement working out a variety of powerful muscles, so rest is not needed (mostly since 'rest' in a bodybuilding context means you are doing resistance training - body weight exercises are not resistance training).

There is a reason Special Forces guys are freakishly strong, and not because they take 48 hours rest between doing push-ups.

noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Acrux12 View Post
    It's a good question. Unless you are doing 500+ push-ups a day, there is no need to rest in between. It is a fairly simple movement working out a variety of powerful muscles, so rest is not needed (mostly since 'rest' in a bodybuilding context means you are doing resistance training - body weight exercises are not resistance training).

There is a reason Special Forces guys are freakishly strong, and not because they take 48 hours rest between doing push-ups.
    Umm...excuse me, but you are not even close to being experienced by saying rest isn't necessary. You recommend not to take rest between a weight training routine, by the way if you are only doing 20 push-ups then it ain't a workout. Without rest you gain minimal results. So please check your facts before posting no rest is necessary for a good 100+ push-ups. I'm sure anyone here would agree that rest is needed to gain full benefits from any good workout routine.

Al3aZeF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Al3aZeF has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    well, I do (daily) morning workout, every day 5 a.m. before school, I ( run for 30 min, than super set push ups standard, incline, decline, 3x10 for each so its 90, than super set sit ups upper abs, lower abs, bycicle 3x20 for each so its 180, finally i end my workout with 15 min jump rope, both, one, altrenting, sessior) should i rest ? or it's ok to do it every day, BTW I have a club/team workout in the evening.
    Last edited by Al3aZeF; 08-20-2010 at 04:23 PM.

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you're doing like 50-150 a day I don't think it will make much of a difference either way
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to do more of them, then that's all you can do is do them everyday.

Don't go to failure but do like 50% of your max at a time. It might be everytime you go to the bathroom or something.

That's how you're able to do more push ups, pull ups, pistol squats.
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10) MadDestiny is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you are sore the next day , you should be taking a rest day, and if you aren't it won't be very beneficial for you since you aren't working to soreness

I think training every day with lower volume is better for hypertrophy however

Acquiring Spartan Status KAbjorn's Avatar
    KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://www.military.com/military-fit...p-push-workout

I'm a Army ROTC cadet and as such we have to take the APFT every month. After doing that routine, I went from doing 62 pushups in 2 minutes, to do 76 in 2 minutes. Which is quite a big jump after one month. That routine is pure gold if you ask me.
    "Till taught by pain, men know not water's worth." - Lord Byron.

Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Taurean508 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KAbjorn View Post
    http://www.military.com/military-fit...p-push-workout

I'm a Army ROTC cadet and as such we have to take the APFT every month. After doing that routine, I went from doing 62 pushups in 2 minutes, to do 76 in 2 minutes. Which is quite a big jump after one month. That routine is pure gold if you ask me.
    Very nice, thanks for the great link.

Im definately gonna try it out:P

GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GatorRon24 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by noonan1994 View Post
    Umm...excuse me, but you are not even close to being experienced by saying rest isn't necessary. You recommend not to take rest between a weight training routine, by the way if you are only doing 20 push-ups then it ain't a workout. Without rest you gain minimal results. So please check your facts before posting no rest is necessary for a good 100+ push-ups. I'm sure anyone here would agree that rest is needed to gain full benefits from any good workout routine.
    Tell navy seals they their routines are bad because they do hundreds of push ups every day.

Originally Posted by GatorRon24 View Post
    Tell navy seals they their routines are bad because they do hundreds of push ups every day.
    Umm since when are navy seals athletes? Please, why do they come back from Iraq emotionally disturbed, they don't know how to train. Exactly ask professional athletes if rest is important, by the way body weight exercises are the same as normal exercises except no weight.

Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Farugen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Umm since when are navy seals athletes? Please, why do they come back from Iraq emotionally disturbed, they don't know how to train. Exactly ask professional athletes if rest is important, by the way body weight exercises are the same as normal exercises except no weight.
    They come back from Iraq emotionally disturbed because they see women and children blown to pieces in the streets; they see friends with their limbs blown off; they see children armed with RPGs and are forced to gun them down.

What a stupid comment, man. And if you meant something else (which is hard to know because of the way you typed), then I'm sorry.

always1st has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Hi everyone...I am new to the forum and seen this was a hot topic...I am a personal trainer for 7 years and athlete for 17 years...And pushups should not be done everyday due to the fact that you acquire muscle gain and strength when your muscle(body) recover from the workout before-hence the 24 to 48 hour recovery time. No matter if you are doing weight training or body weight training you are still making microscopic tears in the muscles and when that happens you recruit new muscle fiber to repair the muscle and this is how individuals get bigger or increase their strength...I was a sprinter and we need our upper body to be stronger more so than our legs and if we do push-ups everyday our arms and chest could not perform the task our body asked of us which is hold us up in the blocks, and powerfully move our arms to move quicker down the track...

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by Farugen View Post
    They come back from Iraq emotionally disturbed because they see women and children blown to pieces in the streets; they see friends with their limbs blown off; they see children armed with RPGs and are forced to gun them down.

What a stupid comment, man. And if you meant something else (which is hard to know because of the way you typed), then I'm sorry.
    I meant how they are drugged when they go to war, because everyday people can't carry a gun in a warfield, they'd be too scared. Some people who came back even admitted to getting drugged to fight in war.

Originally Posted by always1st View Post
    Hi everyone...I am new to the forum and seen this was a hot topic...I am a personal trainer for 7 years and athlete for 17 years...And pushups should not be done everyday due to the fact that you acquire muscle gain and strength when your muscle(body) recover from the workout before-hence the 24 to 48 hour recovery time. No matter if you are doing weight training or body weight training you are still making microscopic tears in the muscles and when that happens you recruit new muscle fiber to repair the muscle and this is how individuals get bigger or increase their strength...I was a sprinter and we need our upper body to be stronger more so than our legs and if we do push-ups everyday our arms and chest could not perform the task our body asked of us which is hold us up in the blocks, and powerfully move our arms to move quicker down the track...

Hope that helps
    Thank You maam, repped for great advice that is backed-up.

thiocfaidh mo lá BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD's Avatar
    BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500) BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD is not very helpful. (-500)
    noonan stfu and pls go. soldiers get ptsd because they train with too many press ups? wtf notssureifsrs. gtfo

op i know pro boxers who do like 600 push ups a day who are in better shape than 99% of the general population. if you feel sore you should rest but once you're used ot doing high volumes of bodyweight exercises you wonp't feel the soreness in the same way. you can do press ups everyday.
    Current goal: 3 miles in 18.30

Originally Posted by BOX_UP_YOUR_DAD View Post
    noonan stfu and pls go. soldiers get ptsd because they train with too many press ups? wtf notssureifsrs. gtfo

op i know pro boxers who do like 600 push ups a day who are in better shape than 99% of the general population. if you feel sore you should rest but once you're used ot doing high volumes of bodyweight exercises you wonp't feel the soreness in the same way. you can do press ups everyday.
    Didn't you see her comment she is a professional don't argue with her if you can't back it up.

nanolax10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The more pushups you do everyday the better you get at pushups. They shock their systems and push through muscle fatigue to build up their endurance for te exercise.

stewsmith.com check it out-

jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nanolax10 View Post
    The more pushups you do everyday the better you get at pushups. They shock their systems and push through muscle fatigue to build up their endurance for te exercise.

stewsmith.com check it out-
    sure you will build up endurance through everyday workout of the same muscles,but they will definitely not grow.Pro athlete a few comments above is right

AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AimSmall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jonnylast View Post
    sure you will build up endurance through everyday workout of the same muscles,but they will definitely not grow.Pro athlete a few comments above is right
    What is the point of responding to an insignificant thread that has been dormant for 3 years?

SAADHOST9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SAADHOST9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SAADHOST9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SAADHOST9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SAADHOST9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think push ups is a very important part to be fit

jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jonnylast has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AimSmall View Post
    What is the point of responding to an insignificant thread that has been dormant for 3 years?
    so why did you respond to my post? I didn`t look at the date of the tread ,was just reading comments about a topic tha I was interested in ...I guess the tread is awake now

trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackcoach7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, absolutely can do pushups every day. Look at the physiques of gymnasts, cirque de solei strength performers, rock climbers, "The bartendaz" or "barstarzz" who all do bodyweight strength exercises every single day and are JACKED, and get back to me if you still disagree with doing pushups every day. Pushups don't load the spine or drain the CNS. It is only CNS intensive work such as max effort lifting that requires longer rest. 48 hour rest period needs are a complete and total myth. If I put a gun to your head and told you that you MUST improve the max amount of pushups you could do by 25 in a month.... would you be doing them once every 2-3 days... or EVERY DAY? I'll tell you what I would do
    Joel Smith, MS, CSCS. Asst. Strength Coach Cal Athletics
    www.just-fly-sports.com

MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Why not O.P, I do Push Up's, it all helps along with other training and b'bing I feel - though to what degree etc i'm unsure exactly.

I guess it all depends on the indvidual, if they like doing them, but either way i'd think it would be good to Push Up's braw.

Derulux has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Derulux has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Derulux has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Taurean508 View Post

This is one of those areas where "it depends". There are different ways of doing pushups, some of which require some rest, but usually not days at a time. If you're doing normal/regular pushups, and you're not really pushing/straining your max, then you don't need much rest. When I was in college, I maxed out the 2-min pushup portion of the Navy PFT at 153 pushups. Held the unit record at the time, though I'm sure it's been beaten since. I didn't really do anything special to hit that number. In addition to my regular workout routines, I did two hundred pushups a day -- 100 in the morning, and 100 in the evening. Tried to space them as close to 12 hours apart as I could, and as far from my other workouts as possible. Took Sundays off completely (usually because I was hung over -- hey, it was college).

Now, if you're building up, using any type of resistance training (weighted vest, angled pushups, negatives, etc), really straining your max (ie- maxing out, then pushing for one more, then pushing for one more, waiting a few secs, then pushing for one more, etc), you may need some additional rest. But that's more of a hybrid resistance/bodyweight training routine than simple pushups.

Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100) Chalky13 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Always1st, Thanks for taking the time to share the info and provide the recommendation. I only wish I'd had good coaching when a young sprinter with info like this. Good luck with your personal training career.

Mrkneed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Your a ****ing idiot!!

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mrkneed View Post
    Your a ****ing idiot!!
    good sentiment, old thread. dude made that comment 3 years ago.

Trainandtrain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think ure wrong mate u know nothing about the army bud my dad suffers from ptsd not because hes not strong because he was emotionally disturbed so dont come on heer thinking you know it all you know nothing bud trust me