Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Squirrels View Post
    my goals are different from your goals.

...stopped right there.
    not training legs= ***got

i dont care what your goals are, and i dont give a **** if your a woman if anything it is sexist and not treating you as equal
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret! We must train from the inside out. Using our strengths to attack and nullify any weaknesses. It’s not about denying a weakness may exist but about denying its right to persist.

avi is old
    current physique here
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126675123

decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) decimater7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i belive they cross over is the same no matter what level your at lol. when you said that you ran sprints i intantly thought you didnt have a coach, now i know you just make your own **** up lol. i am no expert although i did narrowly miss state qualification in the 800 last season
    but i will ask my ex gf who was a qualifier in 2008,2009, and placed 8th this year
    she runs 800, 1600 and 3200, about that cross over you mentioned

Originally Posted by SlimmJimm View Post
    OP needs to post lower body pics for in depth assessment of muscular development
    this thread does need to die

but not before this happens
    Rest in Peace Mike Oldenkamp

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cyclocross75 View Post
    If you want to be fast in Cross Country extra bulk doesn't help.
    in fact for every 1% bodyweight you lose you are around 1% faster.

Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10) Squirrels is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by xxyxx View Post
    not training legs= ***got

i dont care what your goals are, and i dont give a **** if your a woman if anything it is sexist and not treating you as equal
    Oh yeah, because I forgot that everyone who lifts HAS to lift for the exact same reasons. I lift so that I can improve my running form and make $$$ at road races and get local sponsors to pay for my shoes and whatnot.

Who are you sponsored by?

That's what I thought. Go dig a hole you closeted peice of ****.
    <<STATE QUALIFIER 2008...3200m>>

So I was in the Red because some fcktard didn't like being told he couldn't slap my ass. haha. ok.

........................./´¯/)
    ......................,/¯..//
    ...................../..../ /
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
    ........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
    .........\.................\/..../
    ..........''...\.......... _.·´
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\

Registered User syriangrimreaper's Avatar
    syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10) syriangrimreaper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Squirrels View Post
    Oh yeah, because I forgot that everyone who lifts HAS to lift for the exact same reasons. I lift so that I can improve my running form and make $$$ at road races and get local sponsors to pay for my shoes and whatnot.

Who are you sponsored by?

That's what I thought. Go dig a hole you closeted peice of ****.
    HAHA you go girl!

Acquiring Spartan Status KAbjorn's Avatar
    KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by decimater7 View Post
    so you are saying that you runs sprints for your distance training? like say 40's or even 100's and 200's? doubt it.

and doing endurance runs on a regualr basis is a lot different than everyday
    and again, are you trying to suggest that 400 runners are running miles regularly? i doubt it.
    are they doing repeat 800, very possibly
    theres a difference

theres no need to argue about this, i watched it happen
    my freind had a great time in cross but he was super pissed about his mass loss
    its gona happen, no doubt about it
    In Highschool I ran Cross Country. (Races consisted of 5k's (PR was 16:42), we regularly ran upwards of 8-10 miles on base days.)
    I ran Track and Field. (My races were actually the 400 (PR was 48.6 seconds) and the 800 (PR was 1:58), and for training we regularly ran distances of close to 4 miles)

And while doing the 800 I had my mile times and I could still do it under 4:50.

So to sum everything up... it's not incredibly difficult to run proficiently in almost every event (anything less then a 400 and a Cross Country runner is going to take an ass beating)

Oh; and as of right now I'm an ROTC cadet, which means I need to have some size along with the ability to run, which I currently do. If you want size, and you want to be able to run everyday, (I do run everyday) you have to lift weights, and eat extremely well. It's doable.

and for the record, I don't do lower body weights. My legs sure aren't big, but they are surely defined. You want pics? Go look at them in my profile. I don't do lower body weights, but I run. A lot. And I run a LOT of hills. You don't need to do squats if you work your legs every single day.
    Last edited by KAbjorn; 08-19-2010 at 06:53 AM.
    "Till taught by pain, men know not water's worth." - Lord Byron.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KAbjorn View Post
    If you want size, and you want to be able to run everyday, (I do run everyday) you have to lift weights, and eat extremely well. It's doable.

and for the record, I don't do lower body weights. My legs sure aren't big, but they are surely defined. You want pics? Go look at them in my profile. I don't do lower body weights, but I run. A lot. And I run a LOT of hills. You don't need to do squats if you work your legs every single day.

So you aren't doing squats and you are running a lot... what exactly do you mean by "training" legs? Do you mean running or actually lifting somehow?

KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50) KAbjorn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    So you aren't doing squats and you are running a lot... what exactly do you mean by "training" legs? Do you mean running or actually lifting somehow?
    Running is training your legs.. But yeah, I mean running when I say "training your legs"

If you've ever ran a serious hill circuit, you'd know what I mean.

kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Running is training your legs.. But yeah, I mean running when I say "training your legs"

If you've ever ran a serious hill circuit, you'd know what I mean.
    Pretty sure when OP said she didn't train legs she meant in the gym. All sports people train legs via their sport and training for their sport. I don't train legs in the gym (weighted exercises) either except during a specific time in the offseason. Too much leg work if trying to do squats, deads AND keep up football stuff.

And your legs btw are not anywhere near big. They are lean and athletic. Doesn't look like you train them in the gym at all. BBers would laugh at your legs. THAT is the difference between sports people and bbers. And is the essence of this thread in fact.

So what is this you are saying about people being ***gots if they do not train legs again?

xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xxyxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you guys are crazy... training your legs is ****ing fundamental for an athlete. but whatever
    Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret! We must train from the inside out. Using our strengths to attack and nullify any weaknesses. It’s not about denying a weakness may exist but about denying its right to persist.

avi is old
    current physique here

you guys are crazy... training your legs is ****ing fundamental for an athlete. but whatever
    IF "training your legs" == running training then you are 100% correct
    IF "training your legs" == typical BBing type leg day training NO WAY

Me thinks you are confused in this thread

DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

training legs = improve body's force production so you could run faster, absorb more hits from the ground and have some muscle mass in there to protect your joints and not get injured.

it's crucial, but personally i don't like cross country, it's ****ing gay, why would anyone want to run that far.
    running is not leg training, you'll "develop" your legs so far until your body adapts and then you'll stay the same, shouldn't take more than 2 weeks really.

Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pazienxa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    running, sprinting, hill sprints, jumps, and any lower body movemetn is training your legs, 100% specific to your goal, hence building "specific" strength. but before specific strength can be built, a fundamental base of "general" strenght must be built through resistance trainig. bodyweight is not sufficient in inducing enough muscular/neuro damage to the body for the muscles to get stronger and will plateau extremely quick.

for endurance athletes its gona be different because energy system is basically entirely aerobic based with little to no anaerobic work necessary, hence strength trianing is NOT required for endurance athletes whose primary goal is to build endurance.

for every other athlete or lifter, lower body work is HUGE as trainign legs not only releases large amount of testosterone, but your body will build upon symmetry meaning there will be a pointn where you must do lower body work for your upper body lifts to improve. there was a powerlfiter a while back, forgot his name, whose sole purpose was the bench press, but after stalling, did leg work to get through his bench plateau.

sorry, but 99.9% of coaches will agree that leg work for majority of athlete is extremely important, anyone arguing against that is seriously retarded/lacking fundamental training knowledge

Originally Posted by DriveMyWhey View Post
    training legs = improve body's force production so you could run faster, absorb more hits from the ground and have some muscle mass in there to protect your joints and not get injured.

it's crucial, but personally i don't like cross country, it's ****ing gay, why would anyone want to run that far.
    running is not leg training, you'll "develop" your legs so far until your body adapts and then you'll stay the same, shouldn't take more than 2 weeks really.
    I run that far (8-12 miles before I had my stress fracture, 4-7 getting back p there. =\ ) because I love to do it. There is nothing better then an endorphine rush at mile 9. NOTHING. I love being hungry all the time. It's great.

I love to run, because I love to, I can't explain it any better then that. You could only understand if you yourself were a runner.

Correct

No sh*t. What do you think running is? What does running train, list everything for me.

Pretty sure when OP said she didn't train legs she meant in the gym. All sports people train legs via their sport and training for their sport. I don't train legs in the gym (weighted exercises) either except during a specific time in the offseason. Too much leg work if trying to do squats, deads AND keep up football stuff.

And your legs btw are not anywhere near big. They are lean and athletic. Doesn't look like you train them in the gym at all. BBers would laugh at your legs. THAT is the difference between sports people and bbers. And is the essence of this thread in fact.

So what is this you are saying about people being ***gots if they do not train legs again?
    Wrong person. I'm on your side, I agree, I do not at all train my legs in the gym. I run.

ITT:everyone in this thread hates me, therefore squats are uneccesary

avi is old
    current physique here

I do not hate you, I find you misadvised.

I see no point in doing squats when if I wanted to do a leg workout that day I could go run a hill circuit, which trains the legs, AND improves aerobic capacity AND trains the cardiovascular system.

Squats:

Trains fast twitch fibers which are only used in the beginning and end of a distance race. And if I want to train those, I run 400's.

DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DriveMyWhey has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i disagree with you regarding the advil ****, but i agree that long distance running is homo.

Originally Posted by DriveMyWhey View Post
    i disagree with you regarding the advil ****, but i agree that long distance running is homo.
    lol well i can understand your disagreement so no qualms there

avi is old
    current physique here

I do not hate you, I find you misadvised.

I see no point in doing squats when if I wanted to do a leg workout that day I could go run a hill circuit, which trains the legs, AND improves aerobic capacity AND trains the cardiovascular system.

Squats:

Trains fast twitch fibers which are only used in the beginning and end of a distance race. And if I want to train those, I run 400's.
    loooooooolllllllll. that's like saying i don't need to do an upper body workout i'll just knock out a pushup circuit. but i guess if your a bitch ass long distance runner then you don't neeeed muscles anyways so it doesn't really matter. Although this thread was originally about how you can run long distance and still have muscles..

avi is old
    current physique here

chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chriscussion has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    stopped right there.
    lmfaooooo.

wow. I would expect more of you as a football player..

avi is old
    current physique here

noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) noonan1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Whoever recommended squatting for cross country(long distance) is a total idiot. As a distance runner you shouldn't even touch weights, just run. I know this is true because I have personally met a sponsered marathon runner and he said just run.

Originally Posted by noonan1994 View Post
    Whoever recommended squatting for cross country(long distance) is a total idiot. As a distance runner you shouldn't even touch weights, just run. I know this is true because I have personally met a sponsered marathon runner and he said just run.
    Jesus people need to learn to read. I never recommended it for cross country, I said it was an athlete's staple.

avi is old
    current physique here

Originally Posted by syriangrimreaper View Post
    HAHA you go girl!
    whiteknight

wow. I would expect more of you as a football player..
    Well sweetie... I'll listen to the professionals on this one. You know the football trainer people and the multiple other professional trainers who agree. Heavy weighted leg work is done during specific times of the year in our training. (specifically in the offseason and very early training season) Most of the real football season though it is sprints, plyos and sports specific training as well as games that work our legs.

Since switching from BBing to football, I do very little weighted leg training.

When you graduate from school and have actually coached a winning season with a pro team, come back and give some advice on this to me.
    Last edited by kfisherx; 08-20-2010 at 12:24 AM.

Well sweetie... I'll listen to the professionals on this one. You know the football trainer people and the multiple other professional trainers who agree. Heavy weighted leg work is done during specific times of the year in our training. (specifically in the offseason and very early training season) Most of the real football season though it is sprints, plyos and sports specific training as well as games that work our legs.

Since switching from BBing to football, I do very little weighted leg training.

When you graduate from school and have actually coached a winning season with a pro team, come back and give some advice on this to me.
    eh maybe they train you different because your a woman(no sexist) because I have never heard of college/pro football players completely stopping lower body work during the season. They usually adopt a maintanence type mindset and reduce training drastically.

avi is old
    current physique here

eh maybe they train you different because your a woman(no sexist) because I have never heard of college/pro football players completely stopping lower body work during the season. They usually adopt a maintanence type mindset and reduce training drastically.
    I'm thinking that NFL teams are NOT training legs (or any other body part) in any serious/heavy way during the actual game season and especially not near the end of the season. It takes nearly a full week to recover from a game as the season ramps in and the players get faster and hit harder. Serious weight and bbing type training is done in the off season and early part of pre season. After that, the heavy weight training begins to give way to conditioning training and then to technical training as the season ramps in. Once games begin, the actual work of training hard "physically" ramps down significantly so we can use ourselves in the games. We save our legs for the field work that we do, the technical training and the games at that point == little to no weighted leg training. We will still work upper and do plyo and bw leg stuff, but not the squats, deads and other heavy work. It really isn't such a bad thing bro. It's called training for your sport.

loooooooolllllllll. that's like saying i don't need to do an upper body workout i'll just knock out a pushup circuit. but i guess if your a bitch ass long distance runner then you don't neeeed muscles anyways so it doesn't really matter. Although this thread was originally about how you can run long distance and still have muscles..
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm an ROTC cadet. Bench press doesn't do Sh*t for pushups. So if I need to improve on pushups, I do a pushup routine, I don't hit the bench. Same thing for running. I don't need the power and extra mass from squats, I need what I previously listed in my earlier post.

I'm a "bitch ass long distance runner" hmmm.... I'm 6'5 and weigh 210, I run long distances, and I'm bigger then you. So yeah. You can run long distances and still maintain muscle mass. How does it feel to know a "skinny ass" cross country guy is bigger then you?

PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000) PCFootball24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm an ROTC cadet. Bench press doesn't do Sh*t for pushups. So if I need to improve on pushups, I do a pushup routine, I don't hit the bench. Same thing for running. I don't need the power and extra mass from squats, I need what I previously listed in my earlier post.

I'm a "bitch ass long distance runner" hmmm.... I'm 6'5 and weigh 210, I run long distances, and I'm bigger then you. So yeah. You can run long distances and still maintain muscle mass. How does it feel to know a "skinny ass" cross country guy is bigger then you?
    You have 4 inches and 17 pounds on him. I would rather be 6'1" 190 lbs than 6'5" 207 any day.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    Oderint dum metuant

Originally Posted by PCFootball24 View Post
    You have 4 inches and 17 pounds on him. I would rather be 6'1" 190 lbs than 6'5" 207 any day.
    ....cool?

My point still stands. You cannot tell me that I am not a relatively lean muscular guy, I'm not trying to brag or puff myself up, but it's the truth, I have a decent amount of muscle on me, and I run long distances. It's possible to do so.