Thread: HIIT Beginner

CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000)

HIIT Beginner

I'm getting back into working out again and just wanted some opinions on HIIT cardio.
    I am overweight and out of shape for the most part. I am pretty athletic however so I am used to training and exercising. I am interested in losing fat and gaining lean muscle mass as fast as possible. I realize this will take a long time, so I am patient, but I would like to lose the fat and fat weight as quickly as I can.
    I have a 500-800 calorie deficit I would like to accomplish daily as well as incorporate HIIT training 2-3 days a week with weight training. My question is, should I be doing HIIT at the point where I plateau, or is it recommended to just start out with HIIT?

My basic cardio would consist of a daily M-S combination of Elliptical training and speed interval training on the treadmill, but would it be more beneficial for FAT LOSS to do something like this.

Monday: AM Weight Traning
    Tuesday: PM HIIT
    Wednesday: AM Weight Training
    Thursday PM HIIT
    Friday: AM Weight Training
    Friday: PM HIIT
    Rest: Sat & Sunday

Would you recommend someone re-starting their training to start with this, or a gradual build up of daily cardio with weights?

Thanks so much.

Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gyskermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd personally wait until plateau to throw HIIT into a program. Always worked better for me to gradually build up. Take your time, see what works best for you.

Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mrredundant has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    HIIT training is just that, HIGH INTENSITY, you will push yourself to injury (especially if overweight and not used to it) if you over do it, and are not used to it.

I highly suggest you get your nutrition in check first and foremost, you won't see any appreciable difference in fat loss if that isn't taken care of.

HIIT is part of my 6 days a week training schedule, personally when I was doing it multiple days a week I ended up with injuries that halted me from being consistent.

consistency is the key to success here, you will burn calories effectively with moderate jogging and running intervals for 30-45 minutes every day, and using HIIT a couple days a week at most...

then again I am speaking from personal experience, you have to find what works for you, as long as it's something you can stick to day after day, month after month, and you are creating a caloric deficit each day, good on ya.

you don't have to do HIIT to see results, but it is great if your time in the gym is short and you want the most bang for your buck, it's better to raise your heart rate to 75-80% and keep it there for 30-45 minutes, and do it on a daily basis.

also, let me clarify, walking at a pace where it does nothing for you is wasting time too.
    push yourself so that after 30-45 min you are soaked... listen to your body.
    Progress Blog:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=525801073#post525801073

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) born.cs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am currently on week four of this... http://www.losebellyfatworkout.com/category/week1

Its great for beginners and pro's

Hope it helps ya
    Stimulate not annihilate!

Life isnt a race.

Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mayor_West will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The great things about HIIT are that it doesn't require much time and it's extremely adaptable. Since its working intervals require a maximum to near-maximum effort level, you can reasonably expect a session to last 10-15 minutes. Any longer than that and you simply are not working hard enough.

As for starting as a beginner, you can limit your sessions to 4-5 minutes and work your way up as your endurance increases over time. Try working on a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio, where you'd sprint all-out for 15 seconds, and then jog for 45 or 60 seconds before doing another sprint. As you progress over time, you'll be able to sprint longer with more intervals and you'll also be able to increase the intensity by increasing the time of your sprints and/or shortening the time of your rests.

Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaunonymous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CantStopNow View Post
    I am overweight and out of shape for the most part. I am pretty athletic however so I am used to training and exercising.
    I am overweight and out of shape
    I am pretty athletic however
    Paradox?

You are 230lb, you are unfit and overweight. As said above go for 30-45 minutes and by the end of it you should be soaking with sweat. Why an unfit 230lb man would consider they are in a position to work their body to such limits is beyond me.

CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000) CantStopNow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Shaunonymous View Post
    Paradox?

You are 230lb, you are unfit and overweight. As said above go for 30-45 minutes and by the end of it you should be soaking with sweat. Why an unfit 230lb man would consider they are in a position to work their body to such limits is beyond me.

What are you even talking about. I am overweight and unfit, I did not say I was a complete noob to excercise and knowing how to train a little. By saying I am atheletic means that I can run on the B-Ball court, play sports and I have an athletic build as far physique goes, I just need to lose fat. You are only 20. I know my limits for the most part, all I was asking is if HIIT would be beneficial starting out or starting with a steady cardio regimen.