Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000)

20 years old too old to start MMA?

Hey, I'm actually turning 21 this fall and wondering if I'm ''too old'' to start MMA. The short answer is obviously ''No.'', but if I'm looking to compete later on, would this be too much of a disadvantage?

I have a judo background (blue belt), so I have some base, also trained muay thai for a couple months but nothing signifiant.

I honestly don't like doing anything where I don't have a chance to excel at it.

MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    no you are not old at all .....i started boxing with 21 again after a looong break and i will compete in a few months after 3 years training the first time ! and even i got told that my age is not a hindrance for starting competitions .......you are young enough trust me

ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000) ZT89 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MaanWHAT View Post
    no you are not old at all .....i started boxing with 21 again after a looong break and i will compete in a few months after 3 years training the first time ! and even i got told that my age is not a hindrance for starting competitions .......you are young enough trust me
    When people say ''I've trained X years'' it's very subjective to me. For example, on average, how many days / week were you training?

I'm guessing that individuals training for 5 years on average 4 days a week (all year long) vs someone training for 5 years 2 days a week (with on and off breaks) won't be nearly on the same level.

MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaanWHAT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ZT89 View Post
    When people say ''I've trained X years'' it's very subjective to me. For example, on average, how many days / week were you training?

I'm guessing that individuals training for 5 years on average 4 days a week (all year long) vs someone training for 5 years 2 days a week (with on and off breaks) won't be nearly on the same level.
    well i train 2-3 times a week and sometimes even just 1 time if i have too much stuff to do but i have always tried to train at least 2 times a week ......but i am a boxer so you have more to learn like grappling and stuff ......and someone who trains 4 5 times a week is not necessarily better than someone who trains 2-3 times a week because there are other things like talent and/or some learn faster than others of have a harder punch from nature .......but if you are not far away from your competition day you should train a lot more the weeks before no doubt

intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) intrusionzero is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    its never too late to start training, however if you aim to become professional, many pro's started in their teens with dedicated training since then. If you start now and dedicate yourself several days per week you should be ready to compete within several years. It takes a while to learn everything but 20 is by no means too old. I started when i was 19(turning 21 in a week) and i was doing beginner jiu jitsu competitions 6-8 months later, while training about 3 times a week in bjj. Some people learn quicker then others though, you may be ready in 1 year, or it may take 4. Try it out and see how you like it.
    Athletic Edge Nutrition
    www.aenutrition.com
    www.bodybuilding.com/store/ae/ae.htm

egraf@aenutrition.com

Bench/Squat/Dead: Current(goal)
    285(315)/405(450)/380(405)

rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i would definitely say no its not to late to start training. just stay consistent with it, if its something your really want to do then dont let your age hold you back, 20 years old your in your prime go for it!

IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10) IntegratedFit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is a really tough question. It is truly based on how naturally talented you are. For example Broc Lesnar had a very late start and is one of the toughest men in the world. Inversely, Lyota Machida is amazing and has trained almost from birth

It also depends on what your background is, so If you were a college wrestler or golden gloves boxer you will likely have an advantage. If your Judo background is in BJJ out of a gracie camp you will likely be in good shape. However, with no disrespect meant to your current judo camp, if you earned a black belt by performing a few Katas you may not fair as well.

MMA fighting is composed of a few qualities 1. Natural Ability 2. Trained Skill level 3. Physical conditioning

So ask yourself an honest question... Where do you think you stand

I hope this is helpful. My best advice is train a lot at a good camp before you ever step into the ring so you can gauge how strong you are against other trained athletes not just a few drunk guys at the bar.
    Pittsburgh CrossFit http://if-fit.com

Originally Posted by IntegratedFit View Post
    This is a really tough question. It is truly based on how naturally talented you are. For example Broc Lesnar had a very late start and is one of the toughest men in the world. Inversely, Lyota Machida is amazing and has trained almost from birth

It also depends on what your background is, so If you were a college wrestler or golden gloves boxer you will likely have an advantage. If your Judo background is in BJJ out of a gracie camp you will likely be in good shape. However, with no disrespect meant to your current judo camp, if you earned a black belt by performing a few Katas you may not fair as well.

MMA fighting is composed of a few qualities 1. Natural Ability 2. Trained Skill level 3. Physical conditioning

So ask yourself an honest question... Where do you think you stand

I hope this is helpful. My best advice is train a lot at a good camp before you ever step into the ring so you can gauge how strong you are against other trained athletes not just a few drunk guys at the bar.
    Thanks for the answer man. I'm currently training at Tristar with Firas teaching some classes, Greg Jackson will be here in a couple weeks to start working with GSP. There's so much availible to learn here. My physical condition is great, cardio, explosiveness and strength, so that's something I don't have to worry about at all. I'm picking up the BJJ quickly too. So far so good.

ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ptotheb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey man, I started about 8 months back (Muay Thai mostly and some BJJ) trained 3 days a week, hopefully I get to fight in a few months time as I picked up the technical stuff pretty quick.
    Like a lot of guys here already said, it all depends on your natural ability. The reason you don't see many 20 year olds becoming good pros is because by that age they have other commitments that get in the way, education, job, money, GF etc etc. remember success in MMA is all about commitment.
    So if you have the time, the money and the drive, by all means go for it. It would be a shame not to, because in a few years time you will look back and regret not doing it.

A few notable late starters:
    Bernard Hopkins
    Remy Bojansky
    Mike "the beast" campbell
    Nate Quarry
    Brad Blackburn

Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Freak-show has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    July 7th i turned 30 I started training about a month before that. Will i ever hold a title belt proly not. Do I like to work out and fight hell ya! Its never to late.
    The whole world is gonna know who I AM!
    Left kick hospital, Right kick cemetery!
    Live life like tomorrow isn't coming!!
    True Spartan #166

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. (borrowed from "cgc" and God!)

Official Misc WoW Guild <DO I HAVE POTENTIAL> Thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128179561

rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10) rickaysurvive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    definitly not to old, train hard and focus especially at your age if you want something go for it and dont give up.

AndyWarDog has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes 20 is far too old to start training, you could die of old age at any day now

namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500) namesarehard is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Isn't randy couture 47 or something and he is still fighting.
    *Good guy crew*
    *Cares about people crew*
    *Lifts for Strength crew*
    *MMA crew*
    ++ Positive Crew ++

Scrappdizzle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bas Rutten started training at 28 years old! 28!! I understand it was a diff time with diff quality of fighter, but dude was bad! Still is! Waaaaay before his time, if u kno what i mean. Anyway, Natural ability, fight sense, and great cardio will take u far. Work hard at ur striking, bjj, wrestling, and conditioning and you've got plenty of time. My advice, dont rush it. Take amateur fights and don't try to jump straight in the tank with the sharks. Hope it helps.

Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50) Been2HellnBack will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    man how are you going to train when your so old you got to walk with a cane?

Obviously you can train for it bud. The prime age for MMA is somewhere around 31 I think.

RobbiePalmer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Go For it!

Just go for it if your serious. We have a local amature fight show and I use to watch all these guys fight and thought it would be fun, but never took the chance. Than when I was 26-27 I ran into an old friend and he had been competeing out of state and asked me if I wanted to train with him. It worked out perfect because I already had a wrestling room in my basement, so we started hitting it. I entered some BJJ tournaments and was really having some fun. Then after moving up a couple classes I started meeting up with some of these fighters I had been watching for years, come to find out I wish I would of jumped on it while I was a little younger maybe it could of gone somewhere. Go fo it man you never know what will happen, plus if you want to see how good you are just jump in the ring with David ''The Crow'' Loiseau and see how long you last. Not saying he's not good but he's not even in the scene as far as pros are concerned. I'm trying to be nice but I'm sure it would look like an episode of bully beatdown. Good luck man.

etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50) etali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think 20 is still young! If you train often and are serious about it I don't think your age is a disadvantage.
    --
    Member of the Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Misc Guild!
    Join our forces @ http://www.swtor.com/guilds/5874/misc/

JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JRock82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    at this point, people starting training to compete profesionally for MMA as young teenagers is still more of the exception than the rule. 21 is a fine age to start.

NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100) NiGhtt is not very well liked. (-100)
    natural athleticism will be the true deciding factor,not age

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol 20 too old what the hell

your pretty much the perfect age right now just go hard.
    updated 2011
    Hw-Alistair overeem, Brock lesnar, Sergei Kharitonov
    Lhw-jon jones, Gegard Mousasi, Lyoto machida
    Mw-Chael sonnen, Yushin Okami, Ronaldo souza
    ww-Jake shields, Ben Askren, Josh Koscheck
    lw-Bj penn, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Eddie Alvarez
    fw-jose aldo, Hatsu Hioki, Kenny Florian
    bw-Urijah Faber

Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ak12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey, I'm actually turning 21 this fall and wondering if I'm ''too old'' to start MMA. The short answer is obviously ''No.'', but if I'm looking to compete later on, would this be too much of a disadvantage?

I have a judo background (blue belt), so I have some base, also trained muay thai for a couple months but nothing signifiant.

I honestly don't like doing anything where I don't have a chance to excel at it.
    well technically u r a mma fighter if u do both judo nd muay thai, but its never to late just work hard at it. its very fun once u get the basics down

Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Ajuice72 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I started at 19, had my first fight when I was 20 (right before 21) won in the first round, i've done 5 or 6 grappling tourney and placed in each, not to old at all to compete, your not even to old to be a good pro, a lot of pro's didn't start until 18-19-20-21-22 etc., Jon Jones has been training three years (albeit with a sick wrestling background) everyone progresses at a different rate, MMA is a tough sport with many injuries along the way etc. not even just injuries, girlfriends, kids, jobs, school etc. But you are at a great gym to excel quickly.

bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100) bigkarl is not very well liked. (-100)
    Well, you'll have 5 solid years of training when you're only 25.

How is that old?

Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10) Triskelion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You can start training in a few years and still be young enough to compete. So the answer is no. If you want to compete you're obviously going to have to put a lot of time into it as with any other sport. Pretty generic answer but it pretty much sums up the situation.

AlexSlander has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

It's never to late, I train with guys into their 40s. I'm glad I caught this post as I (155-160lbs 10-12% bf) was grappling today with a 21* (185 5% bf) guy new to the sport. His muscles were intimidating but relied only on them, tireing out very early on. My point being as a big man you would need big cardio.

Sorry for lots of conjecture, hope that makes sense.

thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) thefighter19 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks, everyone! This has been reassuring for me too. I did a couple years of kung fu as a teenager, but was pretty lazy and out of shape. Then, at age 20 (8 months ago) I got off the couch and joined boxing/mma. Now I train 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's been a little intimidating to hear about people training since they were 12, but this makes me feel like I have a shot.

F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000) F3D is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ajuice72 View Post
    I started at 19, had my first fight when I was 20 (right before 21) won in the first round, i've done 5 or 6 grappling tourney and placed in each, not to old at all to compete, your not even to old to be a good pro, a lot of pro's didn't start until 18-19-20-21-22 etc., Jon Jones has been training three years (albeit with a sick wrestling background) everyone progresses at a different rate, MMA is a tough sport with many injuries along the way etc. not even just injuries, girlfriends, kids, jobs, school etc. But you are at a great gym to excel quickly.
    This. There is a lot of outside circumstances that determine a lot for people. I'm sure there were quite a few people who could have been amazing fighters but due to injuries or just jobs, children (life in general) training was put on the back burner.

Train as much as you can, your never too old.
    Latest Review:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130648573

ihavewings has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

uhh

Originally Posted by F3D View Post
    This. There is a lot of outside circumstances that determine a lot for people. I'm sure there were quite a few people who could have been amazing fighters but due to injuries or just jobs, children (life in general) training was put on the back burner.

Train as much as you can, your never too old.
    im turning 23 this year and i might start training sometime for it in the next year or 2. your testoterone goes down as you get older but your not suspose to hit your prime untill your 30 look at bones jones hes the champ already after what ive heard in here only 3 years.
    I just ran my first marathon 5hr 51 mins

MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MechEngine is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've heard that GSP didn't even start training until after college.

hereya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in real fight sometimes,,or mostly happens is what you've got in regular training would be different.
    so i think..martial arts is all about sense, no matter how years old you start,

Donnie yen was beating a black belt taekwondoin when he was 13-14 yrs old.