Page 273 of 302 FirstFirst ... 173 223 263 271 272 273 274 275 283 ... LastLast
Results 8,161 to 8,190 of 9031
    LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Juggernaut0 View Post
    I'm a little curious though.. One of your suggestions was to do your programs, then come back to LP?

I've always been under the impression that once you get away from LP and do intermediate programming like that, that LP isn't something you can just comeback to and actually benefit from it.
    Yes, when you do a less than optimal program, your body makes a conscious effort to never let you make optimal gains again. (not srs) (really?)

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LegosInMyEgos View Post
    Yes, when you do a less than optimal program, your body makes a conscious effort to never let you make optimal gains again. (not srs) (really?)

Jeez that's alotta supplements. All I have is whey, creatine, and amino acids and I don't even take the amino acids that often.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegosInMyEgos is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    Jeez that's alotta supplements. All I have is whey, creatine, and amino acids and I don't even take the amino acids that often.
    Its really not that much.

Whey, creatine, multi, preworkout, I'm not using the joint stuff atm, and I always forget to take the magnesium.

The stuff on the left is stuff I have accumulated over the years and pretty are never going to use, despite the fact that they may be useful.

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its really not that much.

Whey, creatine, multi, preworkout, I'm not using the joint stuff atm, and I always forget to take the magnesium.

The stuff on the left is stuff I have accumulated over the years and pretty are never going to use, despite the fact that they may be useful.
    Their expiration date hasn't past? I might look into buying some caffeine for some energy. Though I can't swallow pills so I gotta get some powdered sh!t.
    1372 @ 205

Boynton Barbell Center:

YouTube Channel:

Their expiration date hasn't past? I might look into buying some caffeine for some energy. Though I can't swallow pills so I gotta get some powdered sh!t.
    I'm pretty sure they haven't, and the listed dates are usually meaningless anyway. Shelf life is often years longer.

Definitely get the caffeine pills, they are pretty small. caffeine powder tastes like pure bitterness.

CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Work capacity increases through fitness gain, not through running difficult programs. Running a program that is too hard for you won't improve your work capacity, it will only waste your training time and possibly lead to injury.
    That's like saying lifting weights that are too heavy for you will waste your time and lead to injury. Obviously you do something circa-but-not-supra-maximal, lol.

You don't increase work capacity through "fitness gain" unless you stretch the definition of fitness gain. Fitness is a catch-all term anyway. You gain work capacity by doing more work.
    PL PRs: 605x2 SQ / 385x1 BN / 660x2 DL @ ~225lbs body weight
    Other PRs: 465x1 FS / 250x1 OHP
    Grip PRs: CoC #3 parallel choke, 105x1 wrist wrench, 67.5x1 pinch, Gold Hexabastard

Originally Posted by CharlesSwann View Post
    That's like saying lifting weights that are too heavy for you will waste your time and lead to injury. Obviously you do something circa-but-not-supra-maximal, lol.

You don't increase work capacity through "fitness gain" unless you stretch the definition of fitness gain. Fitness is a catch-all term anyway. You gain work capacity by doing more work.
    I'm going to have to disagree.

Fitness gain is actually the ONLY way to improve work capacity. Increasing your fitness in a specific area (weightlifting/powerlifting) means that given an optimal fatigue state, you could do more than you could previously. This is how adapting to a stress works. You don't gain fitness by doing just any type of work, you gain fitness by the doing the right amount of the right kind of work. If you fall out of either the specificity range or workload range, you will not result in an increased workload, you will result in either decline or stagnation of fitness through overtraining or undertraining.

If its planned that fitness gained during a macrocycle is going to be used to accommodate the needs of the macrocycle, then you're predicting that you never actually exceed your current work capacity.

CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CharlesSwann is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    given an optimal fatigue state
    You don't gain fitness by doing just any type of work, you gain fitness by the doing the right amount of the right kind of work.
    And the fatigue is brought about by some amount of work which is above what you're typically used to—i.e. an increase in work (sub-maximal, which in this context I intend to mean within your current work capacity, which in turn I intend to mean at a rate which will not lead to overtraining).
    I didn't mean to imply that the work could be random, the point I was making is that it requires doing more work than a lifter usual does if that lifter has essentially been doing the same thing for many years (as many bodybuilders and even a lot of powerlifters tend to do).

See, I'm not entirely sure why you're disagreeing. I wanted to make a few additional notes to the things you covered about overtraining, which were:

- Work capacity is a thing, and it's at a different level for each individual
    - Some programs may be out of a person's capabilities in regards to their work capacity
    - Work capacity can be improved
    (Bonus: this means eventually you could do those programs which were "out of your range" previously.)

And nothing you've replied with seems to contradict this. Did I misword my posts to sound antagnostic accidentally? (Sorry.) I agree with what you said in the video, I just think it's worthwhile knowing the above.

Anyway the nature of these interactions is confusing me, so I think I'll bow out. Great work on the videos, keep it up.
    Grip PRs: CoC #3 parallel choke, 105x1 wrist wrench, 67.5x1 pinch, Gold Hexabastard

I think you misunderstood me.

I was advising against jumping into a workload thats double what you have ever done before with the assumption that you will magically be able to increase your work capacity to that of Norse God.

Its important to increase workload systematically, but there are people who fall into both ends of the work capacity spectrum, and those who veer towards too much are at greater risk.

I don't mind debating people. I don't even really care if you come off at antagonistic when doing it, it makes it more interesting sometimes.

Keep in mind that there is such a thing as getting too far into detail with these things, I am way more holistic in my training than the way I speak would suggest.

I think you misunderstood me.

I was advising against jumping into a workload thats double what you have ever done before with the assumption that you will magically be able to increase your work capacity to that of Norse God.

Its important to increase workload systematically, but there are people who fall into both ends of the work capacity spectrum, and those who veer towards too much are at greater risk.

I don't mind debating people. I don't even really care if you come off at antagonistic when doing it, it makes it more interesting sometimes.
    Oh, my apologies, I did misunderstand. I completely agree with the above, I accidentally took the idea of moderation for granted.

Keep in mind that there is such a thing as getting too far into detail with these things
    Haha don't I know it .

Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000)

lol I'm just sayin that when u make that move to intermediate programming, your body adjusts to the change in workload, and your making now weekly progress in most cases. If you get back to LP your body won't be able to just adjust to adding weight each and every workout again instantly. You would then have to drop the weights down an insane amount, otherwise you would catch up to your previous weights within a couple weeks and you'll stall fast, not to mention wear yourself out in a hurry.

I guess my whole thing is just looking at it from a sheer workload perspective, it just seems counterintuitive. I don't know.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136366931

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Love the lighting mate, looking around 190 lean there.

Last edited by Ironlife; 12-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000) KevinAlvarez123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Second, linear progression is on paper the most optimal for you right now. However, it looks like you hate doing linear progression and have no real drive to do so, so I say do something else instead because you won't make progress unless you're motivated.
    I've always thought this has been the reason that westide style programming has success

I think it looks absolutely awful on paper, but people get excited to lift and are able to get gains because they enjoy it more
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172642181

Shoulders/Traps

Barbell Press
    Work up to 205x1
    145x12
    145x11
    145x10

easier to rep out stuff after a heavy rep

DB press
    55x2x12
    55x10

Machine Shrug
    2 pps x 20
    3 pps x 3 x 20
    2 pps x 16

reverse cable flys
    30x12
    40x10
    30x12

Lateral raise / plate raise
    15x10 / 45x12
    15x10 / 45x12
    15x10 / 45x12

btn press
    45x12
    75x12
    105x8

thoughts

elbow painz

lol I'm just sayin that when u make that move to intermediate programming, your body adjusts to the change in workload, and your making now weekly progress in most cases. If you get back to LP your body won't be able to just adjust to adding weight each and every workout again instantly. You would then have to drop the weights down an insane amount, otherwise you would catch up to your previous weights within a couple weeks and you'll stall fast, not to mention wear yourself out in a hurry.

I guess my whole thing is just looking at it from a sheer workload perspective, it just seems counterintuitive. I don't know.
    Your logic isn't logic.

Originally Posted by KevinAlvarez123 View Post
    I've always thought this has been the reason that westide style programming has success

I think it looks absolutely awful on paper, but people get excited to lift and are able to get gains because they enjoy it more
    Motivation leads to ALL KINDZ of gainz brah.

all kindz of gainz

I'm pretty sure they haven't, and the listed dates are usually meaningless anyway. Shelf life is often years longer.

Definitely get the caffeine pills, they are pretty small. caffeine powder tastes like pure bitterness.
    Oh okay, I guess I'll just look into the caffeine pills. Worse comes to worse I might have to chew it and then swallow it like I've done with multi-vitamins. Man those taste disgusting when you bite into them.
    1372 @ 205

Boynton Barbell Center:

YouTube Channel:

Oh okay, I guess I'll just look into the caffeine pills. Worse comes to worse I might have to chew it and then swallow it like I've done with multi-vitamins. Man those taste disgusting when you bite into them.
    they are very tiny, and you can break them into smaller pieces with your hands.

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)

Barbell Press
    easier to rep out stuff after a heavy rep
    all kinds of neuromuscular potentiations
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun

Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggernaut0 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    LIME: I don't take any creatine. Haven't taken any creatine in probably over a year. Never really taken creatine for any longer than a couple months. Never been consistent with it.

Am I crazy? lol Should creatine be a staple in my diet? I don't go crazy with supps for the most part. I just take a protein supp and that's it.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136366931

giving my body a reason DominationStation's Avatar
    DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DominationStation is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LIME: I don't take any creatine. Haven't taken any creatine in probably over a year. Never really taken creatine for any longer than a couple months. Never been consistent with it.
    I fit this profile as well. Went through a full tub once, then a year later went through another full tub--felt no different when using it vs. not in terms of strength or size (I don't really even remember any change in water retention). Kind of assumed I was just one of those non-responders, but I still think about giving it another shot sometimes.
    Today I'll do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Motivation leads to ALL KINDZ of gainz brah.
    Keep me motivated; I just started SS today.

Squat

280x8 and then it just feels too phucked up to keep squatting

step ups
    95x3x10

leg press
    400x12
    600x2x12
    800x12

ham curl
    80x3x12
    100x10

abductions
    60x20
    80x20
    100x10

adductions
    60x20
    80x20
    100x10

standing calves
    4 sets

sitting calves
    4 sets

ab machine
    3 sets

decline sittups
    10x2x12

thoughts

why cant I squat

Originally Posted by ChecksandGiggles View Post
    all kinds of neuromuscular potentiations
    what?

Am I crazy? lol Should creatine be a staple in my diet? I don't go crazy with supps for the most part. I just take a protein supp and that's it.
    Originally Posted by DominationStation View Post
    I fit this profile as well. Went through a full tub once, then a year later went through another full tub--felt no different when using it vs. not in terms of strength or size (I don't really even remember any change in water retention). Kind of assumed I was just one of those non-responders, but I still think about giving it another shot sometimes.
    Do u *******s even want gains? seriously, I feel like you guise just want to wallow in your own self pity and make sure you never do anything that might actually help you achieve your goals.

If you don't respond to creatine, then you might wanna collect your monies, because people will pay to study you.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Keep me motivated; I just started SS today.
    If you quit you're a failure

Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's wrong with your squat again?
    Planted like a tree beside the river of truth.

Originally Posted by Blizzard589 View Post
    What's wrong with your squat again?
    lots and lots of painz, and adding sleeves made my squat worse.

Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Blizzard589 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lots and lots of painz, and adding sleeves made my squat worse.
    To use sleeves properly, you need to push your knees forward into them a bit and get a bounce.

what?
    post-activation potentiation... Isn't that what ILO wanted a vid on? Isn't that the phenomenon that causes you to be able to exert more force after a heavy force is exerted that doesn't cause fatigue? Isn't that what you just did/described when you barbell pressed

To use sleeves properly, you need to push your knees forward into them a bit and get a bounce.

post-activation potentiation... Isn't that what ILO wanted a vid on? Isn't that the phenomenon that causes you to be able to exert more force after a heavy force is exerted that doesn't cause fatigue? Isn't that what you just did/described when you barbell pressed
    I have no motor coordination, (coma goes before emoticon or incorrect grammar). I honestly can't get a good feel for the sleeves.

I knew what he was talking about, I just don't know very much about it. I know it happens, and it probably has to do with reduced muscular inhibition, but I can't really speak to the mechanisms.

I have no motor coordination, (coma goes before emoticon or incorrect grammar). I honestly can't get a good feel for the sleeves.

I knew what he was talking about, I just don't know very much about it. I know it happens, and it probably has to do with reduced muscular inhibition, but I can't really speak to the mechanisms.
    coma

Well I've seen them used for explosive purposes but Efferding uses them too doesn't he? And he has the slowest squat in history. No knee bounce effect. I don't think it's possible for them to not help.

I also assumed it has something to do with reduced inhibition but never looked into it.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Isn't that the phenomenon that causes you to be able to exert more force after a heavy force is exerted that doesn't cause fatigue? Isn't that what you just did/described when you barbell pressed
    It's just like when you practice various kicks with ankle weights - you do it slowly and control the range of motion. Then, after you take the weights off, you'll notice that your kicks gained a lot more speed/momentum.

Page 273 of 302 FirstFirst ... 173 223 263 271 272 273 274 275 283 ... LastLast