Arnold1337 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy How do I not lose muscle mass while traveling abroad?

Hey everyone,

I am an 18 yr old guy, and I recently started lifting weights around 1.5 months ago to gain muscle mass. So far I have put on around 8 lbs, but I am still sorta skinny. I'm around 186 lbs and I am 6'4. I lift 30 lbs right now, among other exercises, and have a great diet - basically, everything seems to be working fine.

However, in a few weeks I am going to be traveling abroad for 8 months, which means although I can still do a lot of my other exercises (for example, push ups, sit ups, etc etc), I may not be able to do any weight training. I'm worried that I not only will not gain any more muscle mass during this trip, but that I may actually decrease in muscle mass if I don't workout.

I was looking at this travel weight product at activeforever.com/p-1364-aquabells-dumbbells-water-weights.aspx

It can carry up to 16 lbs per dumbbell. I am well past that amount though, and I'm probably going to be past 30 lbs per dumbbell before I leave.

My question is, even if I buy this and use it, will my muscles still be able to grow (because it has less resistance than I am used to)? Will I just have to do a lot more reps? Or, will my muscles actually decrease in size? Or will they stay just stay the same? Hopefully they at least stay just as toned and ready for when I get back?

Anyway, thank you very much for your time!

Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yutes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Arnold1337 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am an 18 yr old guy, and I recently started lifting weights around 1.5 months ago to gain muscle mass. So far I have put on around 8 lbs, but I am still sorta skinny. I'm around 186 lbs and I am 6'4. I lift 30 lbs right now, among other exercises, and have a great diet - basically, everything seems to be working fine.

However, in a few weeks I am going to be traveling abroad for 8 months, which means although I can still do a lot of my other exercises (for example, push ups, sit ups, etc etc), I may not be able to do any weight training. I'm worried that I not only will not gain any more muscle mass during this trip, but that I may actually decrease in muscle mass if I don't workout.

I was looking at this travel weight product at activeforever.com/p-1364-aquabells-dumbbells-water-weights.aspx

It can carry up to 16 lbs per dumbbell. I am well past that amount though, and I'm probably going to be past 30 lbs per dumbbell before I leave.

My question is, even if I buy this and use it, will my muscles still be able to grow (because it has less resistance than I am used to)? Will I just have to do a lot more reps? Or, will my muscles actually decrease in size? Or will they stay just stay the same? Hopefully they at least stay just as toned and ready for when I get back?

Anyway, thank you very much for your time!
    Buy heavier dumbells bro?

Originally Posted by Yutes View Post
    Buy heavier dumbells bro?
    Yeah, but if I'm traveling I can't lug around a huge dumbbell set on the plane.

The 16 lbs traveler set is made up of water, so you fill it up with water when you want to workout, and deflate it to carry it around when you're done.

So, if the 16 lbs traveler set is my only option, what do you think about my question?

xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000) xZxChris is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Arnold1337 View Post
    Yeah, but if I'm traveling I can't lug around a huge dumbbell set on the plane.

The 16 lbs traveler set is made up of water, so you fill it up with water when you want to workout, and deflate it to carry it around when you're done.

So, if the 16 lbs traveler set is my only option, what do you think about my question?
    iron gym is something u can use too

Originally Posted by xZxChris View Post
    iron gym is something u can use too

I have one of those, but I'm not gonna pack it and carry it with me.
    It takes up too much space.

G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) G08208 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "still sorta skinny. I'm around 186 lbs and I am 6'4"

lol'd hard. Im skinny as fork cuzz and Im 198 6'3"

Basically, jack **** you can do. What countries are you going to?

SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500) SkinnyPastyNerd is not very helpful. (-500)
    Get the book 'Never Gymless' by Ross Enamait.

Meanwhile, you can get great workouts with just bodyweight movements. Dips, pullups, work up to 1 arm pullups, etc.

Originally Posted by G08208 View Post
    "still sorta skinny. I'm around 186 lbs and I am 6'4"

lol'd hard. Im skinny as fork cuzz and Im 198 6'3"

Basically, jack **** you can do. What countries are you going to?

We obviously have different definitions of what skinny means, lol.
    198 and 6'3 is almost actually considered overweight if you consider BMI.