Closed Thread
    bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Morning workout vs night workout

I started working out in the mornings because when i go to the gym at night, i tend to **** around with my friends and I am less effective at getting stuff done. But when i workout in the mornings around lunch time i just crash. Is there any benefits to doing workouts in the morning vs at night? Can anyone recommend things i can eat/drink that will help me from crashing? Also should i eat breakfast before working out? I have just been drinking a protein shake after my workout and maybe thats the cause. thanks in advance for your advice.

Brutal skin thinning igglesphan's Avatar
    igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000) igglesphan is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is no benefit to working out in the morning vs. night... do it when it is convenient for you. As far as eating first, that is a personal preference as well. If you like to eat first, go for it... I prefer to workout on an empty stomach.

bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bryan324 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by igglesphan View Post
    There is no benefit to working out in the morning vs. night... do it when it is convenient for you. As far as eating first, that is a personal preference as well. If you like to eat first, go for it... I prefer to workout on an empty stomach.
    alright man thanks for the insight. i guess ill try to eat before working out to see if it helps as far as energy goes. i feel better working out on an empty stomach but it sucks getting tired at work.

carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carlson61 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Preference -- you may choose to beleive the following or not, but this is what ive gathered over the years from reading / listening; Ive never applied it so thus dont know if its true or not.

Mornings Lifts
    + everything you eat for rest of day is all recovery food
    + Due to bodies mechanics = best time to workout for burning calories due to metabolism
    + Gets it done and over with so you dont have the rest of the day to run you down, or for things to come up which will prevent your night workout from happening

- Have to get up earlier or delay rest of day by X amount of time
    - Doesnt leave much time for a pre-workout food / supps
    - May indeed tire you out for rest of day

Night Lifts
    + Give you the day to focus, energize, or use supps
    + Sleep soon after = best form of recovery
    + Can sleep in a little later or get out of work on time

- day may tire you out or allow urself to talk out of the gym
    - Some find it hard to sleep soon after working out hard due to ur body "waking" up
    - Not much time remaining for recovery foods.
    "Fitness is a journey not a destination"

Majest1c has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I personally work out during both mornings and nights...

If I got no morning shift at work I'm at the gym around 8 am for 2 hours and can just keep going.. For me I think morning is good because I got tone of energy.. I am one of those early morning people can wake up at any time and have energy

When I work out during nights, I'm there for about an 1.4h-1.3h just depends who I go with and how long they work out for.... but I would say that the work out goes a bit different for me, not going so explosively during the workouts......

In your case if you are crashing you need to figure out the time of the day when You got tone of energy always... When I go in the morning I dont eat anything, some I know eat because food will give you energy.... maybe try taking a pre-workout drink???

I take VPX NoShotGun... good stuff been taking for about 1.2 years,, I use it to give me more strenghts and those extra reps during workout,,, really works

alright thanks for the advice guys. i like the morning workouts too because like i said im more focused since i don't have my friends that aren't taking things as serious as me there to distract me. I will check out that pre-workout and see if its somethign that would be good for me.

LeanMuscleCity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Morning > Night Workouts

It's tough with a 9-5 job, but I love working out in the mornings, that way I feel great all day, like I really got up and brought it early on. I am personally more productive at work after a morning run, cardio session or weight lifting P90X DVD. I work out on an empty stomach, or with a 1/2 of a Powerbar in me. Just enough to keep me going but not enough to make me feel full, bloated or having the possibility of cramping. Working out at night is good for the weekends when I need to blow off some steam or I know I can stay up late. I don't like dreading a workout all evening and then finally getting done late and have to go to bed shortly after. But do what makes YOU comfortable.

Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nealwanderfoot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking oatmeal!!!

if you're going to exercise in the morning try eating something really light before bed like fruit or a protein shake. when i was lifting in the mornings i would eat a half cup of oatmeal (also tried out lettuce) before heading to the gym. oatmeal is very easy to digest, so even though i only had about 20 mins to let it sit before i started exercising at such a small amount i never felt bogged down or sluggish. try it out, helped me get over the "worn out" feeling post workout.

train hard

Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Shin0bi1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How about during lunch?

If you can, I recommend working out during lunch time. It makes the work outs short and seriously intense since you have limited time. I drink mad coffee in the mornings, eat an oatmeal (1 hour before workout lunch time)... work out like crazy for 40 min and then save the other 20 min for traveling to gym and eating lunch u brought from home.

-Shin0bi1
    Here is my progress so far....

Nov 2011 187lbs @ 22% BF

Goal is to be 175lbs by spring of 2012 @ 16%

Eventually summer goal is to hit 168lbs @ 10% or less

Recomp & Motivated Arr =) sid007's Avatar
    sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sid007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LeanMuscleCity View Post
    It's tough with a 9-5 job, but I love working out in the mornings, that way I feel great all day, like I really got up and brought it early on. I am personally more productive at work after a morning run, cardio session or weight lifting P90X DVD. I work out on an empty stomach, or with a 1/2 of a Powerbar in me. Just enough to keep me going but not enough to make me feel full, bloated or having the possibility of cramping. Working out at night is good for the weekends when I need to blow off some steam or I know I can stay up late. I don't like dreading a workout all evening and then finally getting done late and have to go to bed shortly after. But do what makes YOU comfortable.
    Yeah I rather work out in the morning too but can't because my commute to work is too long as is and cant' be up earlier.

So evenings it is but that works out well too.
    Down 15% BF Up 6 % Muscle in 7 months (March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept 2010)
    Maint / Recomp (oct 2010 - July 2011)
    Aug/Sep/Oct '11 - fat loss / cut Goal: 1 lb every 5 days / (3500 cals burnt every 5 days - 400 cal deficit food | 300 cal deficit gym daily)

My Fat Stack: Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Flax, PB, Eggs, Almonds, Almond Butter, CLA
    My Protein Stack: Chicken, Lean Steak, Deli Turkey, Fish, Egg Whites, Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, ON Whey

petemane has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try No Xplode. Does miracles for waking me up for the morning lifts. I always have a Protein shake before and after as well. Of course I mix with water not milk so the calories are low. Tastes like crap though
    Squat 375
    Deadlift 355
    Power Clean 295
    Push Jerk 295
    Bench 305
    From a 320 LB Lineman to a 230 LB guy here's hoping I can become a tight end

martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000) martinelli is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by carlson61 View Post
    Preference -- you may choose to beleive the following or not, but this is what ive gathered over the years from reading / listening; Ive never applied it so thus dont know if its true or not.

Mornings Lifts
    + everything you eat for rest of day is all recovery food
    + Due to bodies mechanics = best time to workout for burning calories due to metabolism
    + Gets it done and over with so you dont have the rest of the day to run you down, or for things to come up which will prevent your night workout from happening

- Have to get up earlier or delay rest of day by X amount of time
    - Doesnt leave much time for a pre-workout food / supps
    - May indeed tire you out for rest of day

Night Lifts
    + Give you the day to focus, energize, or use supps
    + Sleep soon after = best form of recovery
    + Can sleep in a little later or get out of work on time

- day may tire you out or allow urself to talk out of the gym
    - Some find it hard to sleep soon after working out hard due to ur body "waking" up
    - Not much time remaining for recovery foods.
    Good points. Just one thing to add. . .

The biggest & most variable issue is how the timing of formal exercise causes individuals to behave later that day. Studies show some people to lower their NEAT for the rest of the day, either as a conscious or subconscious compensatory response to the exercise. Often, overall daily expenditure drops. Activities of daily living (ADL) are arguably the prime behavioral buffer preventing weight gain in the average person. And for some, exercise diminishes this chance to create a comparatively greater energy expenditure than an hour or two in the gym could.

It's a phenomenon that I experience, which is why I tend to train in the evening, when I personally become more inactive anyway. The workout gives me one last "bump" in expenditure before I hibernate.

It's either that or deliberately trying to keep yourself busy after your morning session, if you have that problem. So if you have a morning shift, that's a plus.
    Ice Cream/Army Blog:
    http://martinber.blogspot.com/

cubezombie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a problem with crashing during my evening workouts...Now I eat a couple of Honey Oat bars with a cup of green tea about an hour before and I feel pretty good throughout my workout..ymmv...

Oldbutkicking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Morning has health benefits

Originally Posted by bryan324 View Post
    I started working out in the mornings because when i go to the gym at night, i tend to **** around with my friends and I am less effective at getting stuff done. But when i workout in the mornings around lunch time i just crash. Is there any benefits to doing workouts in the morning vs at night? Can anyone recommend things i can eat/drink that will help me from crashing? Also should i eat breakfast before working out? I have just been drinking a protein shake after my workout and maybe that's the cause. thanks in advance for your advice.
    Studies show that when people work out in the morning they sleep better than people who workout any other time of the day. Sleep is real important as everyone know. The best part of this is that is shows morning exercise bring on a greater amount of deep sleep when your body is healing its self. So better sleep, lower blood pressure throughout the day and less stress sounds pretty good to me.

You may want to take that into account.

celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) celtic723 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Oldbutkicking View Post
    Studies show that when people work out in the morning they sleep better than people who workout any other time of the day. Sleep is real important as everyone know. The best part of this is that is shows morning exercise bring on a greater amount of deep sleep when your body is healing its self. So better sleep, lower blood pressure throughout the day and less stress sounds pretty good to me.

You may want to take that into account.
    4 year old thread.

Come on.
    *Cutting for life crew*
    *More negs for being fat than giving bad advice crew*

Ego = 1/Knowledge "More the knowledge lesser the Ego, lesser the knowledge, more the Ego" - Albert Einstein

Dec 1st 2013 - 231lbs
    Feb 10th 2014 -209lbs

GOAL: 180lbs

user54576 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by celtic723 View Post
    4 year old thread.

Come on.
    Regardless of year, lurkers fine any info from any time of year helpful. But you can't expect a skinnyfat mfer with no achievements in his bodyspace to know that.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by user54576 View Post
    Regardless of year, lurkers fine any info from any time of year helpful. But you can't expect a skinnyfat mfer with no achievements in his bodyspace to know that.
    You can read it without bumping it. And if you make derogatory comments about other people's physiques, you will be removed.