Page 1 of 109 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The Official Power Rack Thread - August 2010 version

This is a collaborative effort from the equipment forum members. The 2008 edition has a lot of broken links and rather than keep that one going we decided to start a new one. First let’s have a few definitions to clear up some confusion.

Squat Stands: These are probably the most useless and unsafe pieces of equipment you can buy. All they are really good for is loading a bar up and having it at chest level to perform certain presses, Olympic lifts and squats. The appeal here is that they are usually a lot cheaper than a cage, but they provide zero safety if you fail on a lift and are really not ideal for home use. I would also include any of those bench press/ squat combo things made by Marcy or Apex in this category. They are cheap and completely unsafe.

Squat Rack: A squat rack is much safer than squat stands and much sturdier. You see these in gyms a lot. The main problem with squat racks is that they typically do not have adjustable spotter arms and are really only good for doing squats, and even then they may not work well for a shorter person. Again, they are not really an ideal choice for home use, as they are really only designed for one exercise.

Half rack: Commercial grade half racks show up a lot in gyms. They are heavy and very sturdy and have adjustable spotter arms that can withstand very heavy weight. They also usually have a chin-up bar and plate storage along the back. The main difference from a power cage/ rack is that they do not offer a fully enclosed area. In the chance that you lose your balance and fall back on a squat or overhead press, there is a possibility that you will miss the spotters and hurt yourself. Again, not a great choice for working out alone, but definitely not a terrible choice as you can use them for exercises other than just squats. There are also half racks made for home use but these generally have pretty small spotter arms and are really unsafe to use for squats. I have also seen these called multi-press racks.

Hammer Strength Half Rack and TDS Multi press rack

Power rack/ power cage: This is the obvious and best choice for working out at home. A power cage should be the center piece of any good gym. They are fully enclosed and offer the most safety for exercises like squats and bench press. I cannot tell you how many times my spotter bars have saved me on a failed set. A good rack should be able to handle close to 1000 lbs on the spotters. There are several different variations of power racks and you can pay anywhere from $300 to upwards of several thousand dollars. Racks have many different options and can often be customized with plate holders, different chin up bars, lat pull downs, and many other attachments. All power racks should come with a chin up bar and at least the option to buy dip handles. They can also be open on the top to allow for overhead movements.

Quoted from Manzooka
    "One more thing to look for when shopping for a new rack: hole spacing.

The distance between holes will impact your reach and level of comfort when performing various exercises in a power rack. An inch or so may not make a big difference when setting up for your squat, but it could make a huge difference on your bench."

Hole spacing seems to vary, but most good racks have 2 inch spacing (measured from the center of the holes). Elite FTS offers 1.5 inch and even 1 inch spacing on some of their racks through the bench area, which makes it easier to get full ROM when benching. See post #20 for comparison pics.

Powertec Rack and Magnum Fitness open top rack

For shorter ceilings there are also sumo racks like this one from TDS

Monolift: Not something you will see in a lot of home gyms, as a partner is necessary for safety, but very popular in powerlifting circles. "This specially designed squat stand allows for optimal squat training by taking the walkout way from the lift. You un-rack the weight while your training parter pulls the lever moving the rack hooks forward. The hydraulic lift and lever support stands adjust for all heights and hand positions." from Elite FTS

*If anyone wants me to add something to the first post shoot me a pm, we have a 24 hour edit window.

Now lets see some power racks!
    Last edited by Jimbo.; 08-09-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jimbo. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Before anyone asks, this is why you need a power rack to be safe.

One of my favorite racks to drool over. The EliteFTS Collegiate rack

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&pid=1383&cid=

Sumo Base
    Monkey Chin Bar
    Rod and Pipe Safety Pins
    Quick Adjust Safety Pins
    Band Pegs Top and Bottom
    Band Storage
    Chain Storage with UHMW
    Weight Storage with UHMW
    Extra J Cups
    2 Bar Holders (these are placed off back end)
    Suspended Safety Chain Hooks
    Numbered Posts
    Texture Coated Rack Posts
    1.5 and 2 inch hole spacing
    Rack is now 94" tall
    Extra Deep Squatting Area: 36"

This one from Texas Strength systems has also grabbed my attention. They offer a ton of options and with a base starting price of $600, it seems like a great rack

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

1" hole spacing
    Sumo-base for wide stance squatting & deadlifting
    Rod & pin safety catch design (2 pair)
    Band pegs for top & bottom with over 24 adjustment holes per side
    7' tall, 30" deep, constructed from 2.5" x 2.5" 11 gauge square tubing
    Industrial Painted Air Brush Finish

This is the rack I have, you can get it for $420 shipped from Amazon. Its a very good lower end rack, and serves its purpose well, but I can't wait to upgrade. NYBB offers a lot of attachments for it as well, the lat attachment is pretty questionable from what I have read though. Just something to keep in mind if a lat attachment is important to you, it's not to me, but some people love having the option.

http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92563-W-...1204988&sr=1-1

1" Round Solid Steel Pins
    Distance between holes - 2"
    28 Holes with numbers for Adjustments
    Heavy Duty "J" Hooks
    Olympic Plate Holder
    CHINNING BAR ON FRONT
    Deep Knurled Front Chinning Bar
    White Powder Coated
    26" Distance between Posts
    SIZE: 48.5" X 48" X 82.5"H - 152 lbs.
    Last edited by Jimbo.; 08-07-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Another beast, the Legend power cage from their performance series.

http://www.legendfitness.com/equipment.php?id=113

The foundation of our Performance Series line of American made cages, the Power Cage has the most accessories and options of any cage in the Legend lineup. Fabricated entirely of big, beefy 3″ square tubing, the Power Cage has tons of features. Hole spacing on the uprights is 2″ center-to-center to maximize adjustability. Three feet of room is inside the massive uprights, 12 welded chrome pegs stand out in the rear for weight storage, the welded J-hooks are the strongest in the industry, a chin bar is included, and it has a strong, wide base that is five feet from front to rear.

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....ess-Power-Cage

$985.50 before shipping
    Last edited by Jimbo.; 08-08-2010 at 09:20 PM.

This seems to be the most popular lower end rack on this site. It is available for 499 shipped from bb.com but it seems like Powertec cannot keep up with demand as of late and you will be waiting a while to receive this rack. That being said most people seem to love it, the major complaints I have heard revolve around the chin up bar. It comes with the dip handles, which is a bonus, and the lat tower option can be purchased separate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/spr.html

Specifications:
    L=48" W=48" HT=82" WT=265 lbs
    Weight Load Capacity Rack=1500 lbs, Dip Bars=400 lbs

Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Mitrovski is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice work here Jimbo, repped.

My rack:

ProMaxima PL-34A "Super Power Rack"
    2" x 3" 7 Gauge Steel (Overkill???)
    66" Deep x 48" Wide x 88" Tall
    Shipping weight - 500 lbs (per ProMaxima sales)
    Cost - $895 (Includes FW-12A Bench)

Heavy Duty Rack, this thing isn't going anywhere
    Weight Storage
    Gun Rack-esque (4 spots to rack the bar)
    Plenty of room to work inside, and room for a (human) spotter if you want one
    Spotter arms adjust very quickly
    Pull up Bar - Normal grips, wide angled grips & neutral grips off the back
    Open Rack Design - Able to do overhead movements in rack

Dislikes:
    Spotting arm adjustment not ideal for bench press (~3.5" spacing)
    - It happens to work fine with my bench and body type, others have recommended plywood under the bench
    No Band pegs (added after purchase)
    No Lat Option - Not a problem for me, but some may want it.
    Based on the design of the rack, there probably aren't many after market options you could add, although there isn't much else needed

Other Notes:

This is my 2nd rack, I had an older Tuff Stuff Rack that worked pretty well, but this is in another league completely.

I purchased this rack used on eBay for $350, but at full price this is still a great rack for the money (especially since it includes a nice adjustable bench as well). The price quoted above is from the ProMaxima 2010 Catalog. ProMaxima will sell directly to the consumer, and you will find the best prices (hands down) on their equipment that way. If you are anywhere near Houston, TX, picking up direct from their warehouse is a good way to save a few hundred $$$ on freight shipping. Their equipment is made to order on site in Houston, so you're not gonna have to wait forever to get a rack shipped in from some foreign country, and you're supporting a US company which is always a good idea. They have also done custom modifications on a GHD I ordered from them, and you can choose what color powder-coat and upholstery you want on your equipment.
    Last edited by Mitrovski; 08-07-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks, man. Appreciate the specs on your rack, I really like that one.

Speaking of ProMaxima... FW-163 Official Texas Power Meet Rack

http://www.promaximamfg.com/%28S%28s...Attachment.htm

Length: 72"
    Width: 84"
    Height: 96"
    Weight: 425 lbs.

$708.75 at CFF

http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....ower-Meet-Rack

Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    +1 Jimbo I repped you for the thread.
    Awesome Thread and about time it was updated too. The stuff from 2008 was getting old.

Here is a pic of my BodyCraft F430 Power Rack. Love the Pop pins, so easy to adjust!
    The best I could do from outside the room.

Here are the Specs
    11 gauge, 2" x 3" Steel Tubing
    Dimensions: 49" x 52" x 81"
    Weight 282 pounds
    Cost: $599
    Options: Extra Set of Safeties for the back supports $44.95 and Dip Handles $30 (not shown)
    Shipping was free on Amazon.
    Last edited by Cadz; 08-07-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks for the pic and specs, Cadz. At only 599 shipped I really think anyone considering the Powertec should really look at the Bodycraft as well. 100 dollars more and you are getting a rack with a straight chin up bar and easily adjusted spotters and hooks protected by rubber to prevent chipping and scratching. It seems like they are pretty equal otherwise, but I like the Bodycraft, and would probably choose that over the Ptec.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodycraft-F430...1290954&sr=8-1

Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cadz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jimbo. View Post
    Thanks for the pic and specs, Cadz. At only 599 shipped I really think anyone considering the Powertec should really look at the Bodycraft as well. 100 dollars more and you are getting a rack with a straight chin up bar and easily adjusted spotters and hooks protected by rubber to prevent chipping and scratching. It seems like they are pretty equal otherwise, but I like the Bodycraft, and would probably choose that over the Ptec.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodycraft-F430...1290954&sr=8-1
    The advantage with the BodyCraft is the speed of adjustments with the Pop pins and the fact that the Powertec is much higher. Many posts deal with owners installing the chin up bar upside down to get it to fit. Official specs on the Powertec make it only 82" high tho.
    I haven't seen the Powertec rack in person but the BodyCraft F430 looks and feels like it will last a lifetime

Trying to keep this going...

The Elite Classic 3x3, another bad boy of a rack that will make you the envy of this forum. At $1500 shipped it will set you back a few bucks, but you will never buy another rack.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=167&pid=2473

The EFS Classic Rack comes with the following features:

* 3x3 tubing
    * Sumo base
    * Weight storage
    * 1 pair of j-hooks
    * 1 pair of safety pins (rod and pipe)
    * Chin bar
    * 1.5 to 2 inch hole spacing

This rack is easy to assemble - attach the k-brace in back, the weight storage and the chin bar. You will be training in 20 minutes - and can look forward to a lifetime of personal records.

Rack specs:

* 7.5 feet
    * 11 gauge steel
    * 43"x30" inside squatting area.
    * The total foot print is 49"x61".

* This rack does not need to be bolted down unless you are doing very intense band work.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mitrovski View Post
    Nice work here Jimbo, repped.

My rack:

ProMaxima PL-34A "Super Power Rack"
    2" x 3" 7 Gauge Steel (Overkill???)
    66" Deep x 48" Wide x 88" Tall
    Shipping weight - 500 lbs (per ProMaxima sales)
    Cost - $895 (Includes FW-12A Bench)

Heavy Duty Rack, this thing isn't going anywhere
    Weight Storage
    Gun Rack-esque (4 spots to rack the bar)
    Plenty of room to work inside, and room for a (human) spotter if you want one
    Spotter arms adjust very quickly
    Pull up Bar - Normal grips, wide angled grips & neutral grips off the back
    Open Rack Design - Able to do overhead movements in rack

Dislikes:
    Spotting arm adjustment not ideal for bench press (~3.5" spacing)
    - It happens to work fine with my bench and body type, others have recommended plywood under the bench
    No Band pegs (added after purchase)
    No Lat Option - Not a problem for me, but some may want it.
    Based on the design of the rack, there probably aren't many after market options you could add, although there isn't much else needed
    that's a helluva good deal on that! i didn't realize it was that inexpensive new...

edit: nice thread, jimbo! i'll rep both of ya when i can.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Perfect timing, need to buy a power rack fast. Thanks a ton!

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Camaro76350 View Post
    Ebay brah/
    got mine for 205$ fukin best thing ever.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bassir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm on a budget and a beginner: how is this power rack?

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-Powerline-Power-Squat-Weight-Rack-/230498971348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_1399wt_1139

It's the cheapest I've found. Craigslist doesn't have many power racks.

Originally Posted by animalfan View Post
    that's a helluva good deal on that! i didn't realize it was that inexpensive new...

edit: nice thread, jimbo! i'll rep both of ya when i can.
    thanks, man

no problem, what are you leaning toward?

Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    Ebay brah/
    got mine for 205$ fukin best thing ever.
    which rack? mind sharing pics? trying to get as many pics, specs, and opinions as I can in these first couple of pages

Originally Posted by Bassir View Post
    I'm on a budget and a beginner: how is this power rack?

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-Powerline-Power-Squat-Weight-Rack-/230498971348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_1399wt_1139

It's the cheapest I've found. Craigslist doesn't have many power racks.
    The Powerline rack is probably the best you can do for 299 and buying new. It's a good starter rack, and I have heard no real complaints about it. It can be frustrating watching craigs when you are ready to get going at home, thats why I bought the TDS rack when I did.

--

I'll get some more posted later, I can't post pics at work... probably a good thing or I might not get any work done.

Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000)

Hole Spacing

One more thing to look for when shopping for a new rack: hole spacing.

The distance between holes will impact your reach and level of comfort when performing various exercises in a power rack. An inch or so may not make a big difference when setting up for your squat, but it could make a huge difference on your bench. Here's a comparison pic.

Absolutely, thanks zooka! Mind posting your rack up? It needs to be seen more...

And on the hole spacing thing, two inches seems to be the most common on good racks. The Elite racks offer the 1.5 inch and 1 inch spacing though the bench press area, which helps in getting the spotters as accurate as possible to allow for full ROM.

*edit, added your quote to the OP, edit window is still open
    Last edited by Jimbo.; 08-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nice work Jimbo! will rep on recharge. When looking for a rack I noticed that the old thread was quite dated as some models had changed, new features etc. I have the Powertec, only thing I can add is that the price varies dramatically, I've seen them online as low as $380. And a local shop by me has them for $350, but like you mentioned are backordered til who knows when. So while on a waiting list for over a month found one used on CL that I picked up for $200.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    This one from Texas Strength systems has also grabbed my attention. They offer a ton of options and with a base starting price of $600, it seems like a great rack

http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

1" hole spacing
    Sumo-base for wide stance squatting & deadlifting
    Rod & pin safety catch design (2 pair)
    Band pegs for top & bottom with over 24 adjustment holes per side
    7' tall, 30" deep, constructed from 2.5" x 2.5" 11 gauge square tubing
    Industrial Painted Air Brush Finish

MAN, every time I look at this rack....I want it more and more. I like the EliteFTS Collegiate and Legend racks...but it's hard to beat this price.

****edit....and this needs to be a Sticky****
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    MAN, every time I look at this rack....I want it more and more. I like the EliteFTS Collegiate and Legend racks...but it's hard to beat this price.

That one has a really cool chin-up bar upgrade, too. I have a legend one but came very close to getting this one. I just hadn't heard of anyone who actually got this one. I think someone here recently did, so if there are any pictures of this rack 'in the wild' I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000) Manzooka is a name known to all. (+5000)

EFS 3x3 BYO

Here’s my rack from EFS. This is one of their 3x3 Build-Your-Own models found here:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=921

On my rack I opted for an extra set of J-Hooks, a set of quick release spotter pins, the monkey chin bar (love it), upper and lower band pegs, and dip attachments.

The 3x3 BYO basically gives you the option to build a customized rack somewhere between the EFS Classic and the EFS Collegiate. Options include extra J-Hooks, various chin bars, band pegs and several storage solutions. They also offer the option to shorten the rack by 5 inches which is a nice touch for those of us who have home gyms in standard size rooms.

There are a couple of differences to note between the fully loaded 3x3 BYO rack and EFS’s Collegiate Rack. The 3x3 BYO consists of 4 major components… 2 rack sides, a chin bar, and the rear K-Brace. The Collegiate Rack appears to consist of 12 major components because each rack side consists of 5 pieces bolted together. They do this because the inside vertical bars on the collegiate are given an extra rough coating (like you’ll find on the j-hooks and spotters), presumably to keep the rack looking better for longer right where it will be receiving the most wear and tear. I’m sure the collegiate rack is just as stable as the 3x3 BYO all things considered, but I thought this was worth pointing out.

Lastly, a side note about my experience with EFS…
    EFS and/or EFS’s manufacturer had some difficulty matching my original order. In fact they had to send me three racks before they got it right, but eventually they did get it right and all things considered I’m still very happy with my choice. I am also hitting a snag with them related to getting all of the info I need to ship to the two incorrect sides back to the manufacturer but I’m hoping to have that issue resolved this week.

- Zooka

darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) darkfact is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Manzooka View Post
    There are a couple of differences to note between the fully loaded 3x3 BYO rack and EFS’s Collegiate Rack. The 3x3 BYO consists of 4 major components… 2 rack sides, a chin bar, and the rear K-Brace. The Collegiate Rack appears to consist of 12 major components because each rack side consists of 5 pieces bolted together. They do this because the inside vertical bars on the collegiate are given an extra rough coating (like you’ll find on the j-hooks and spotters), presumably to keep the rack looking better for longer right where it will be receiving the most wear and tear. I’m sure the collegiate rack is just as stable as the 3x3 BYO all things considered, but I thought this was worth pointing out.
    That was the defining reason why I chose the 3x3 BYO over the collegiate. A more welded frame is HUGE in my opinion.

The collegiate is 4" taller and has 6" more in the squat depth area, but that little bit over the large dimensions the 3x3 already has is just a small upgrade for me. The welding as I said, is a much bigger deal to me. Everything else about the 2 racks are basically identical (except the price hah).

Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000) Camaro76350 is just really nice. (+1000)

no problem, what are you leaning toward?

Well, so far, the one that you said you had (http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92563-W-...1204988&sr=1-1) or the Powerline rack that Bassir posted a few posts ago. I'm looking to spend around $300-$500

Also the roof above it is going to be 91 inches
    Last edited by Camaro76350; 08-09-2010 at 11:23 AM.

I'm wondering since this is the Power Rack thread, maybe Racks that should be avoided because they are crap should be added. I mean you can't add every single one but the few big companies that pop up all the time like Weider and Marcy?
    Maybe it needs a different thread?
    Too much junk out there and maybe a thread that covers Power Racks that Suck or something would be helpful?

Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    Nice work Jimbo! will rep on recharge. When looking for a rack I noticed that the old thread was quite dated as some models had changed, new features etc. I have the Powertec, only thing I can add is that the price varies dramatically, I've seen them online as low as $380. And a local shop by me has them for $350, but like you mentioned are backordered til who knows when. So while on a waiting list for over a month found one used on CL that I picked up for $200.
    thanks, dess, appreciate it! That was the thinking here... time for some updates, and nice craigslist find.

Originally Posted by cgc View Post

yeah I know, it looks like a really cool rack. I am curious about how the spotters work. Plus 1 inch spacing from top to bottom... very nice

Well, so far, the one that you said you had (http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92563-W-...1204988&sr=1-1) or the Powerline rack that Bassir posted a few posts ago. I'm looking to spend around $300-$500

Also the roof above it is going to be 91 inches
    I am very happy with my TDS rack and don't think you can go wrong there. It is definitely one of the better lower priced racks that you can pick up. I would highly recommend ordering it from amazon too, as you save on shipping that way.

Originally Posted by Cadz View Post
    I'm wondering since this is the Power Rack thread, maybe Racks that should be avoided because they are crap should be added. I mean you can't add every single one but the few big companies that pop up all the time like Weider and Marcy?
    Maybe it needs a different thread?
    Too much junk out there and maybe a thread that covers Power Racks that Suck or something would be helpful?
    Yeah I would like to keep this thread reserved for equipment that we can recommend... there is a section in the FAQ that lists brands to stay away from, people just seem to ignore it a lot.

The two most affordable racks I know of...

Both of these you can find for about 300 shipped. They both seem to be decent starter racks with the Powerline probably getting the edge, as it is from Body Solid, which is a recognized name. The first rack does not even have a brand attached to it, but still seems like a decent rack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELUXE-POWER-CAG...efaultDomain_0

I really don't like the positioning of that lower cross member on this rack, seems like it could get in the way when unracking the bar for squats.

* Floor space: 43"(Depth)x49"(Width)x82"(Height)
    * Weight about 140 LB
    * It can hold about 1000 LB

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Body-Solid-P...ht_1399wt_1139

Dimensions: 82"H x 44"L x 46"W
    # 18 adjustment levels
    # Upright pillars are a full 24" apart for free motion
    # 41" wide knurled chinning bar

Complete with 18 positions, two heat tempered lift-offs and two saber style safety rods so you can keep your exercise routine the way it should be simple and effective. This Power Rack has a 800 lb. weight capacity.
    -----
    With that we now have four racks listed on the first page that you can get shipped for less than $500. The two in this post are at the lower end of the spectrum while the TDS and the Powertec are probably at the higher end quality wise. I think the Ptec and TDS both have closer hole spacing, maybe someone who owns these racks can help me out there, but just looking at the pics it seems like they do.
    Last edited by Jimbo.; 08-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.