Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    I'm typically a non fiction genre kind of reader, so this will take me out of my comfort zone!
    Check your local library - mine has a vast selection of non-fiction books as well as fiction.

And thanks - I will look for The Screwtape Letters!
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just finished "I suck at Girls" by Justin Halpern. Pretty funny stuff but I liked "**** my dad says" better.

Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000)
    The House of the Dead and Poor Folk, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    The Best Short Stories of Dostoevsky, by Fyodor Dostoevsky
    Dostoevsky: The Man and His Work, by Julius Meier-Graefe, trans. by Herbert H. Marks
    Characters of Dostoevsky: Studies From Four Novels, by Richard Curle

Doing a paper on Dostoevsky for college, so have been reading a lot of him lately...
    "Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome." - Booker T. Washington

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've decided to buy on my kindle (and reread) ...A Grief Observed, by CS Lewis. In this book, Lewis tells about his anger and confusion at God, over 'allowing' his wife to die from cancer.

One of my good friends died this morning, losing her battle to cancer. It's been a long time since I've experienced someone dying who was close to me. I'm stricken with sadness, and some anger. Anger at why bad things happen to good people like her. Why she suffered so, and she was truly a ray of light. And why there are jerks in this life, who well....just keep on being jerks. I'm hopeful this book will help me process it all, and maybe give me some insight. CS Lewis is a brilliant writer; if you haven't yet read his works, stop everything, and get one of his books. He is nothing short of a literary genius; my opinion.

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Iron Nation: Passion for Hard Training by Bob Whelan

Strength Training Anotomy by Frederic Delavier

Vince Gironda: Legend and Myth by Alan Palmieri
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50) reksman will become famous soon enough. (+50)

War, Coffee and Fiction

Just finished "A Peace to end all Peace" by David Fromkin which was very enlightening. It is a history of the fall of the Ottoman Empire and the disastrous arrangements the European powers secured for themselves. It was an arduous read as much as I love history.

Almost done with "Uncommon Grounds" a great read for anyone who loves coffee or sociology or marketing.

About to start Penguin Publishers' edition of selected fictions by JL Borges. His short stories are amazing. I pick this one up every five years or so and learn new things about myself and the world. Borges may be an acquired taste, much like coffee but in my opinion is one of the best writers of the 20th century. One of my absolute favorites.
    "Would you believe it, Ariadne? The Minotaur scarcely defended himself."

Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000) Paradosis is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    I've decided to buy on my kindle (and reread) ...A Grief Observed, by CS Lewis. In this book, Lewis tells about his anger and confusion at God, over 'allowing' his wife to die from cancer.

One of my good friends died this morning, losing her battle to cancer. It's been a long time since I've experienced someone dying who was close to me. I'm stricken with sadness, and some anger. Anger at why bad things happen to good people like her. Why she suffered so, and she was truly a ray of light. And why there are jerks in this life, who well....just keep on being jerks. I'm hopeful this book will help me process it all, and maybe give me some insight. CS Lewis is a brilliant writer; if you haven't yet read his works, stop everything, and get one of his books. He is nothing short of a literary genius; my opinion.
    +1

Definitely a good book, from what I recall. I don't think I admire Lewis as much as you, but I would have no issues also calling him a brilliant writer; he has a very consistent wit and charisma about him, which seems to transcend divisions in Christianity and find fans in all corners. Hope the book helps!
    "Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome." - Booker T. Washington

Started Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. I read LOTR several times as a youth/teen, but sad to say I haven't read it once since the movies came out a decade ago. I guess I got spoiled being able to get the whole story in three short bursts. So far, so good...

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Paradosis View Post
    +1

Definitely a good book, from what I recall. I don't think I admire Lewis as much as you, but I would have no issues also calling him a brilliant writer; he has a very consistent wit and charisma about him, which seems to transcend divisions in Christianity and find fans in all corners. Hope the book helps!
    i think why he stands out to me, is because he was once a self proclaimed atheist, and how he came to Christ, is pretty interesting. his book, mere christianity, is really fascinating. his writing can seem cold, sometimes i need to reread the same sentences again and again, to 'get' what he's trying to say. modern day's dumbed down literature is no match for him. (there are exceptions, but today's literature by and far, i wouldn't even classify as 'literature.') JMHO.

tisonc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Arnolds Autobiography "Total Recall"
    Great read I highly recommend it..
    The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.
    -- Vince Lombardi

Dostoevsky: A Self-Portrait, by Jessie Coulson
    The Times Atlas of World History
    Interpretations of Life: A Survey of Contemporary Literature, by Will and Ariel Durant

sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Just started "Merry Christmas, Alex Cross" by James Patterson.

Just started The Stolen Throne by David Gaider for the second time. It's a prequel novel for the video game Dragon Age: Origins. I read it once before and remember having liked it, though probably only because I also liked the game.

DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000) DocSI is just really nice. (+1000)
    The House of God by Samuel Shem.

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) catkitt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A Million Miles in a Thousand Years

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm reading "A memory of Light", which is the final book from the enormous Wheel of Time series from (the late) Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I've been waiting years for it, so I can move on to another series, now that I'm a avid reader/audio book junky again. Feels good to read for fun a gain, after so much forced, boring reading in grad school.

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ozzy ousbourne biography.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tisonc View Post
    Arnolds Autobiography "Total Recall"
    Great read I highly recommend it..
    Just got it at a library sale for a buck. Next in my list.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    winning ways, how to succeed in and out of the gym-randall strossen -half way through--can't step away for a minute
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Oh happy day! I came across a new mystery series by a Toronto author, Rosemary Aubert. The main character is Ellis Portal. From her website: "Ellis Portal was once a judge. Then he hit the skids and became homeless, forced to live in a cardboard shack in Toronto's urban wilderness: the valley of the Don River.

In this acclaimed series, Ellis makes his way out of disgrace and back into the respected halls of justice, solving mysteries as he rises from the bottom back to the top."

I am going to have a ball following Ellis through the neighbourhoods of Toronto!

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just finished "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge a wonderfully named Marine mortar-man from '43-'45. It's his memoirs of his front line service in the charnel houses of Peleliu and Okinawa and a hell of a book.

Am now on "A Battle From the Start" by Brian Steel Wills. Biography of Nathan Bedford Forrest, Confederate calvary wizard.
    It's 80% diet, 20% workout and 100% in the mind.

If you can read or carry on a conversation, you ain't working out.

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

Parking your s**t on a bench ain't the same thing as using it!

For my fellow readers

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Having seen the Horizon programme, Eat, Fast, and Live Longer hosted by Dr Michael Mosley, I was intrigued and longing to learn more. So I picked up his book, "the Fast Diet", and I'm quite enjoying it. It discusses fasting and the benefits thereof, and proposes a 5:2 diet where one restricts calories on 2 non-consecutive days of the week (500 cals for women and 600 for men) then eat normally (at maintenance cals) the other 5 days. I quite like Mosley and find this is a good read.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just finished Frank Mildmay (or Naval Officer) by Captain Marryatt. I bought it at a great used book store in Lincoln City, OR.

Now reading The Cat's Table, by Michael Ondaatje.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A few weeks back I read Timeline, by Michael Crighton. I have never read him before and the genre is not really my thing (though I read an enormous amount of classic sci-fi in younger years), but I found the premise intriguing. I really enjoyed the initial depictions of moderns' initial impressions of 15th century France, but I regretted that Crighton hadn't carried on with them alongside his plot, rather than subordinating them to it. There were many potentials.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss

Also, 5/3/1 2nd Edition by Jim Wendler
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    AWOL on the Appalachin Trail
    Dave

The God Argument: The Case against Religion and for Humanism, by A.C. Grayling

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    A few weeks back I read Timeline, by Michael Crighton. I have never read him before and the genre is not really my thing (though I read an enormous amount of classic sci-fi in younger years), but I found the premise intriguing. I really enjoyed the initial depictions of moderns' initial impressions of 15th century France, but I regretted that Crighton hadn't carried on with them alongside his plot, rather than subordinating them to it. There were many potentials.
    ---

It was a rather disappointing novel and an even worse movie. Characters weren't much more than cardboard cutouts, really, and there should have been slightly more interaction between the modern and the old, as well the change-in-history concept explored further.

Been busy rewriting my own works. Death Bytes should be out on May 1st (or thereabouts) while two other novels will be on sale in 2014. God, my eyes are tired!

I did reread Gone South by Robert McCammon. His finest novel, Southern Gothic all the way, horror and comedy, and perhaps the best thing he's ever written. Around four hundred pages, not a wasted moment in it.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sakustoms is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I am currently finishing up the latest book in a series by David Baldacci. It is the Oliver Stone series.

I love mystery and detective series book.