Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mjt12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fasted weight training

Ok I know this topic is debatable but I am going to throw it out there anyway. I workout at 5am during the week. Some days, just cardio and other days I lift. I HATE eating before I workout. Is this really going to be detrimental to me? Are my muscles going to "eat themselves for energy"? I am not in a muscle building phase. I am trying to lose some fat. Any answers would be great. I do sip on BCAA's before my workout.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1. if you sip on BCAA's you are not *technically* fasted.
    2. it isn't ESSENTIAL that you eat before training < and no, your muscles will not eat themselves... But females generally respond poorly to fasted training (males to much better) and there are a number of negatives to not eating... for example:
    - less energy during workout
    - less anabolic signals/ less stimuli to maintain muscle mass
    - more cortisol secretion with more fluid retention/ increased hunger
    - greater POST exercise 'compensation' with subsequent lowering of activity level over the rest of the day

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    2. it isn't ESSENTIAL that you eat before training < and no, your muscles will not eat themselves... But females generally respond poorly to fasted training (males to much better) and there are a number of negatives to not eating... for example:
    - greater POST exercise 'compensation' with subsequent lowering of activity level over the rest of the day
    Hmmmm, excellent points. Now, if I only have 30 mins from the time I wake up to the time I start weight training what is the most optimal pre workout meal for me. I don't know if you need my current stats but I am 5'6 and weigh 152.

genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10) genia824 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been working out for almost 2 years at 5am. I usually have 2 cups of coffee w/ nonfat milk before I leave & that's it! Up until recently, I don't think it's effected my workouts at all. I've always managed to power through them with a decent energy & strength level. However, I've been at a deficit calorie-wise for the last several weeks and that has effected my workouts more than anything else.

Originally Posted by genia824 View Post
    I've been working out for almost 2 years at 5am. I usually have 2 cups of coffee w/ nonfat milk before I leave & that's it! Up until recently, I don't think it's effected my workouts at all. I've always managed to power through them with a decent energy & strength level. However, I've been at a deficit calorie-wise for the last several weeks and that has effected my workouts more than anything else.
    I am glad that you posted. I feel like I have great energy and strength fasted as well. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I work out fasted and 'usually' enjoy it. I switched from evening to mornings early this year and had to adjust to working out on an empty stomach. I AM weaker in the mornings compared to when I lift later in the day, but I'm still getting stronger on my AM workouts. I find that I have plenty of energy for AM workouts, but it takes me longer to warmup.

I do eat a lot of food all day and eat right before bed. I would probably get better gains by working out later in the day - but this is what my schedule allows for now. I think eventually I will try eating prior to working out....BCAAs are a good idea.

I agree with the downsides EL posted, BUT I think if you're aware of it and give yourself proper adjustment time you can have a productive AM workout.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been doing fasted workouts for years with a strong cup of coffee beforehand. I added BCAA's about a year ago, but I'm not sure if it's made a difference beyond the coffee. If you don't have time to digest a meal before you work out, then IME it's best not to have one. At most I would have a protein shake.

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    But females generally respond poorly to fasted training (males to much better) and there are a number of negatives to not eating... for example:
    Christ, is there anything we handle BETTER than males? It seems like we get the short end of the stick for everything fitness related.

KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50) KaraPhoto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I personally cannot work out fasted - cardio or weight lifting. I made a huge mistake yesterday in fact and was posting about it in my journal ... I barely ate any protein all day (just busy at work and kind of forgot to eat more than a cup of veggie soup) and when I got to the gym I was seriously gassed. I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I'd eaten some veg and carbs, but very little protein.

I know everyone is different and I know a lot of people who thrive on fasted work outs ... I'm definitely not one of them!

gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) gtwin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    Christ, is there anything we handle BETTER than males? It seems like we get the short end of the stick for everything fitness related.
    We def have a higher threshold for pain, therefore I think we can handle more intense training. You ever see a dude last through an entire spinning class? I haven't...Lol. And if he did, he usually tries to front like it ain't nothing but a walk in the park....
    "When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."

I guess it is safe for me to stick with my fasted workouts then. I just like them better and still have the same amount of energy as I would if I ate.

Originally Posted by mjt12 View Post
    I guess it is safe for me to stick with my fasted workouts then. I just like them better and still have the same amount of energy as I would if I ate.
    Get a tub of Xtend and see if you notice a difference.

ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrisSierra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i wouldnt recommend doing this. working out cardio or weights while fasted will simply metabolize muscle proteins to meet the bodies glucose needs. in the long run this will hurt your muscle gains and fat loss abilities

I use Xtend now.

joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10) joyce261 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i work out fasted every day. i prefer it. i have noticed a very slight difference in lifting if i do it at night (meaning it's slightly easier at night), but i'm pretty sure that's because my muscles feel a lot more loose and limber and warmed up at night...not because there's food in my stomach.

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "can" work out fasted and is it optimal are two different things. You can workout fasted all day long and if you never have a proper baseline not fasted to compare to, you will not see a difference. I think there would be a difference if you made the effort to train NOT fasted. That said, the question is if that difference makes enough of a damn to you to go through the hassle..

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok I know this topic is debatable but I am going to throw it out there anyway. I workout at 5am during the week. Some days, just cardio and other days I lift. I HATE eating before I workout. Is this really going to be detrimental to me? Are my muscles going to "eat themselves for energy"? I am not in a muscle building phase. I am trying to lose some fat. Any answers would be great. I do sip on BCAA's before my workout.
    If you hate eating before a workout, then don't do it. I've been doing 5am fasted workouts for about 3 years and haven't really noticed a difference. In fact, I tried having a pre-workout shake before my morning workout, and I felt like I was going to throw up the entire time. It's just not for me.

Sometimes I do notice that I have a bit more energy when I workout later in the day, but that's usually because I'm pissed off about how crowded the gym is/having to wait for machines. Not because I've got food in my system.
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    "can" work out fasted and is it optimal are two different things. You can workout fasted all day long and if you never have a proper baseline not fasted to compare to, you will not see a difference. I think there would be a difference if you made the effort to train NOT fasted. That said, the question is if that difference makes enough of a damn to you to go through the hassle..
    Well I guess I want the more optimal approach. However, I don't want to have to wake up at 3am so that my meal is fully digested before I go to the gym. What do you suggest I have that is simple and won't sit in my stomach?

I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well I guess I want the more optimal approach. However, I don't want to have to wake up at 3am so that my meal is fully digested before I go to the gym. What do you suggest I have that is simple and won't sit in my stomach?
    Simple and won't sit in your stomach is so subjective...

I typically eat things like
    almonds, kashi cereal (dry) and a protein whey shot
    cottage cheese, fruit and pb
    toast, pb and protein whey shot

Doesn't have to be huge or hard. Just some amounts of fats, carbs and proteins. Also, eating in the AM is really just a matter of habit just like anything else. I NEVER ate breakfast for 35 or so years of my life claiming that it made me ill, etc. I started to do it slowly and over time have been able to establish a new paradigm in my life regarding eating breakfast. I can even eat right after I wake up. I am still not a morning person though...

viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) viridian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ive been having a scoop of protein blended with one whole egg (or two whites), a small amount of water, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (or almond butter) with a tbsp of wheat bran (or oats) - microwave until solid with a small apple on the side for months about 15 minutes pre workout and Ive never had a problem feeling too full or any discomfort.

Two slices ezekiel toast with coconut oil and a protein shake.

1/4-1/2 cup whole rolled oats mixed with 1 egg and 2 whites, microwaved with cinnamon.

All eaten roughly 15-20 minutes pre workout and I've never had an issue. Small amounts of food, but thoe foods are pretty easy on the stomach.

Originally Posted by viridian View Post
    Ive been having a scoop of protein blended with one whole egg (or two whites), a small amount of water, 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (or almond butter) with a tbsp of wheat bran (or oats) - microwave until solid with a small apple on the side for months about 15 minutes pre workout and Ive never had a problem feeling too full or any discomfort.

Two slices ezekiel toast with coconut oil and a protein shake.

1/4-1/2 cup whole rolled oats mixed with 1 egg and 2 whites, microwaved with cinnamon.

All eaten roughly 15-20 minutes pre workout and I've never had an issue. Small amounts of food, but thoe foods are pretty easy on the stomach.
    Awesome, thank you to everyone who took the time to help me! I will try to eat a little something and see what the results are.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    Ermmm.... babies.... pretttyy sure *some* females do the baby thing better than blokes do.

[good for you, no?]

If in doubt, and if doing HIGH intensity/ long workouts - you could also consider sipping on some gatorade/ glucose + whey. Starting a 10-15 mins prior to your workout/ as you warm up.

Also, as Kfish touched on -> Depends on your purpose for training. If it is to PERFORM v's if it is to simply LOOK PRETTY.

If you have a fitness related goal, fasted training is generally a no-no.
    If you simply want to cut up - then performance (+ a bit of lean mass) may be the sacrifice you are willing to make if you want to continue fasted training as you strip down.

Originally Posted by ChrisSierra View Post
    i wouldnt recommend doing this. working out cardio or weights while fasted will simply metabolize muscle proteins to meet the bodies glucose needs. in the long run this will hurt your muscle gains and fat loss abilities
    ^ not necessarily.

Ermmm.... babies.... pretttyy sure *some* females do the baby thing better than blokes do.

[good for you, no?]

If in doubt, and if doing HIGH intensity/ long workouts - you could also consider sipping on some gatorade/ glucose + whey. Starting a 10-15 mins prior to your workout/ as you warm up.

Also, as Kfish touched on -> Depends on your purpose for training. If it is to PERFORM v's if it is to simply LOOK PRETTY.

If you have a fitness related goal, fasted training is generally a no-no.
    If you simply want to cut up - then performance (+ a bit of lean mass) may be the sacrifice you are willing to make if you want to continue fasted training as you strip down.

^ not necessarily.
    My purpose is to get down to about 135-140 without losing a ton of muscle mass and then start a mass building program. I am going to try to eat a little something before my workouts and see if I notice any type of difference. My training sessions are full body workouts by Chad Waterbury (TBT) 3 days a week. The workout typically lasts about 35-40 mins. Sometimes I follow it up with 20 mins walking on an incline or riding the bike. On the days I don't lift I either run 3 miles or do some HIIT. I don't have a ton of muscle on my body to begin with (well I don't think I do) so losing any of it is not something that I am willing to let happen.

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm glad I looked at this thread...emma, thank you for pointing this all out. I wondered about this...

question--is fasting considered not having a preworkout snack/ meal...or is fasting in this sense, considered only am workouts, where no food has been consumed since the previous day? thus, a true 'fast?'

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to only be able to work out fasted (morning, or 2-3 hours of no food if afternoon workout), but the last few months I have been having something before going to the gym. I still can only manage a little bit, but I have noticed a positive difference in the gym regarding better lifts and energy level. I don't have much, it's usually 2-3 slices of peach and a just a couple spoonful of my breakfast (rest gets saved for after workout, with a shake added on). My breakfast is usually greek yogurt, cottage cheese, oats or muesli, and sometimes PB if I'm using 0% fat yogurt. I must eat this at least 1 hour before going to the gym, or I feel crappy and nauseous and that defeats the whole purpose (to me) of trying to get some nutrition in before working out. If I were to workout at 5am, I would personally just go back to fasted as I don't want to wake early enough to digest my food well enough. Or just do my gym stuff in the afternoon.

Oh, and don't women get less DOMS than men and recover faster from workouts? But yeah, wish we had more "perks" in regards to training.

Blueberries has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have to say I love working out fasted. I hate to workout with food in my stomach...I just don't like it. As long as I have my energy drink/pills, I'm good to go! No adverse effects noted thus far.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm pretty slow to wake up, so that surely could be part of my problem but I really feel I MUST eat prior to lifting to get the most out of my workouts. I can do endurance cardio, no problemo. Heavy weights or sprints, though? Definite problemo. I haven't done regular cardio in forever so I haven't had a chance to experiment with that since I really got into this lifestyle, but I do best with at least 3 meals under my belt eating a small meal (I eat 5-6 times a day so all my meals are relatively small) 30 minutes to an hour prior to lifting (can be one of the "at least 3 meals"). My pre-workout meal is normally lean meat, rice/potato/oats, a source of fat and veggies. If something gets in the way of me heading to the gym within the hour, I might have a piece of fruit prior to training. If I couldn't stomach all that, I'd probably go protein powder + banana or a tablespoon of honey + fat in the form of nuts or oil (blended all into a shake depending on my mood...honey could go into something bitter like green tea or coffee if it makes your protein too sweet). Especially when my calories are lower and I'm working a large muscle group, I tend to distractingly hungry mid-workout if I don't eat something pretty close to lifting.

I don't notice a difference using BCAA's during my "easy" workouts (anything involving chest, shoulders or arm-specific lifts) so I save my money those days. I can get away with less than stellar nutrition conditions on those days too. I notice a definite difference in my ability to finish strong when sipping BCAA's through leg and back workouts though.

When I first started focusing more on lifting than cardio, ephedra was still easily obtainable. At the time my approach to nutrition was "avoid getting fat" so I did lots of workouts with meals far behind me, depending on ephedra for energy. Lemme tell ya, that stuff did make ya want to move. But it's something I refer to as "false energy" (I've been using the term for so long I'm not sure if I heard it somewhere or made it up...LOL). Great for long runs, but it doesn't help you much in the strength department. More currently the same stims that get my motor runnin' with my usual carb-containing nutrition plan sure didn't do crap for me when I was on a CKD, other than having enough of that false energy to be even more irritated that my lifts sucked.

Anyway, I think getting a small meal in prior to training is definitely worth a shot. Make sure you give it an honest try, though. You probably will experience a little discomfort as your body gets accustomed to having a bit of food in your belly. Eat prior to showering and getting dressed to give your body a bit more time to start putting those calories to use.

Zombieland Rule 1: Cardio springerchaser's Avatar
    springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50) springerchaser will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been following an intermittent fasting based diet (leangains) for about three months and am starting to like 'fasted' training more. It's not really 'fasted' because Martin wants you to take the BCAAs pre-workout like others here have suggested.

If I ever do feel like eating before, it's usually just a small sandwich or a piece of fruit.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    Training is initiated on an empty stomach and after ingestion of 10 g BCAA or similar amino acid mixture. Technically, training is not completely fasted - that would be detrimental. The pre-workout protein intake, with its stimulatory effect on protein synthesis and metabolism, is a crucial compromise to optimize results.
    GOAL: I want to be more, do more, live more.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=530304163#post530304163

akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) akbodybuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can do 30-60 min. of cardio (moderate/high intensity) with nothing in my system everyday, but lifting is another story. I hit the weights the other morning with nothing but a low carb shake and a grapefruit in my system, and I thought I was going to puke. It highly affected my workout and I was not able to push myself as intensely as I usually do when I've eaten my usual veggie omelette and ezekiel toast. The workout was weak in comparison to the usual higher carb/calorie days. Someone mentioned already that you can probably do just about anything fasted, but the quality and potential is compromised a little I think. I am convinced it is for me at least.
    NASM CPT, NFPT Master Trainer, Psychology Major
    www.figarellesfitness.com
    www.********.com/figarellesfitness
    https://twitter.com/stephfigarelle

nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000) nea_lin is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^ Same here

I can go for runs fasted no problem. Weight-training? Not a chance. If I don't eat, or don't eat enough, I get shaky and sometimes dizzy when I'm in the gym. My best workouts come after I've eaten a lot throughout the day.
    "I know who I am! I'm a dude, playin' a dude, disguised as another dude!"